PDA

View Full Version : Paging all americans

tslvrnyc
05-29-2008, 04:20 AM
Seriously, who cannot simply read and write basic things in Spanish. Pretty much everyone has taken Spanish in school, yet I feel like no one can use it when they need to. I read and post in a few forums - some of them are in Spanish and they're always shocked that an American can write decent Castillano o Espanol.

Why can't all you guys do it?

eze
05-29-2008, 04:24 AM
Seriously, who cannot simply read and write basic things in Spanish. Pretty much everyone has taken Spanish in school, yet I feel like no one can use it when they need to. I read and post in a few forums - some of them are in Spanish and they're always shocked that an American can write decent Castillano o Espanol.

Because not all of us want to.

I took Spanish my sophomore year of HS and I hated it. Just never wanted to learn Spanish, I would have preferred to learn Italian but it was German French or Spanish ATM.

PapiQueRico
05-29-2008, 04:27 AM

Spanish is easy. I find French to be more of a challenge.

tslvrnyc
05-29-2008, 04:28 AM

Because not all of us want to.

I took Spanish my sophomore year of HS and I hated it. Just never wanted to learn Spanish, I would have preferred to learn Italian but it was German French or Spanish ATM.

I took Italian in college to avoid having to take advanced Spanish. Seriously, if you can't pick up on the congnates between all the Romance languages you're an idiot and you probably have a very limited English vocabulary.

What state allows one to only take one year of a foreign language? NYS requires at least two, if you want a Regents diploma it's more.

tubgirl
05-29-2008, 04:28 AM
if i lived in a country where spanish was the predominant language, then i would learn...

i have no reason to learn it currently

Alyssa87
05-29-2008, 04:29 AM
learn chinese!

we'll all need to veeeerry soon.

tslvrnyc
05-29-2008, 04:30 AM
if i lived in a country where spanish was the predominant language, then i would learn...

i have no reason to learn it currently

Where do you live, Guam?

Seriously, wtf?

PapiQueRico
05-29-2008, 04:43 AM
learn chinese!

I got some Chinese friends so I'm learning a little. I would like to learn more. I know some Tagalog and picking up some Japanese as well, little by little.

Alyssa87
05-29-2008, 04:45 AM
learn chinese!

I got some Chinese friends so I'm learning a little. I would like to learn more. I know some Tagalog and picking up some Japanese as well, little by little.

i dont think ive ever had an Asain friend :violin

PapiQueRico
05-29-2008, 04:52 AM
learn chinese!

Pobrecita ... get away from the Ricans once in awhile, lol. :lol:

4star4
05-29-2008, 04:53 AM

I'm always shocked when an "American" can read or write decent English. Do you speak, write and understand basic German, French, Russian, or Arabic?

I don't, pero estaba en espana para seis meses en el ano 1996. Estudio Espanol cuatro anos en escuela, y cuatro anos mas cuando estaba en colegio. Me gustaria hablar mas lenguas pero cuando tiene ud. tan anos de mismo, no es facil. Y tengo solo 33 anos.

Enough Spanish, my favorite MLB team just tied up the game with 5 runs in the ninth, gotta watch. Anyway, the world's second language is English. If that's your first language, damn, where do you begin, as far as chosing a second language?

Ziggy33
05-29-2008, 04:53 AM
Because we're in America and we speak ENLGISH HERE!!

PapiQueRico
05-29-2008, 04:59 AM
America is probably the only country where people pride themselves on only being able to speak 1 language. I guess that's a big thing since so many don't even speak English correctly.

PapiQueRico
05-29-2008, 05:00 AM

Case in point :lol:

Alyssa87
05-29-2008, 05:15 AM
learn chinese!

wouldnt that leave you out as well?

PapiQueRico
05-29-2008, 05:19 AM
learn chinese!

wouldnt that leave you out as well?

Once in awhile, chula, not all the time. I'll keep the leche warm until you decide to cum back around :twisted:

tsntx
05-29-2008, 05:43 AM
thiso iso americao noto northo mexico... learno englisho oro enjoyo makingo $5 foro theo dayo cleaningo myo houseo ando mowingo myo yardo

kaiser1one
05-29-2008, 05:59 AM
I talk with English speaking ppl 99% of the time. Only once in my ENTIRE 23 years of life have I NEEDED Spanish. And that was just to understand what Yucca Root was in Spanish.

4star4
05-29-2008, 06:05 AM
thiso iso americao noto northo mexico... learno englisho oro enjoyo makingo $5 foro theo dayo cleaningo myo houseo ando mowingo myo yardo

Yeso, Jeno, I totally agreeo.

Mac_Hine
05-29-2008, 06:07 AM
THEY TOOK EEERRRRR JEEERRRBSS

Oli
05-29-2008, 06:08 AM
The writing on the side of the helicopter I flew in the Navy didn't say
La marina de guerra de Estados Unidos.

O esto es quizá mejor para usted. La escritura en el lado del helicóptero que volé en la marina de guerra dijo

United States Navy

underdog6
05-29-2008, 06:14 AM
Why would i want to speak spanish? I been to Mexico once and i was happy as hell to leave. This is the USA.

GroobySteven
05-29-2008, 06:59 AM
Why would i want to speak spanish? I been to Mexico once and i was happy as hell to leave. This is the USA.

... and goddamit, don't leave again.

GroobySteven
05-29-2008, 07:03 AM
I'm a big advocate of people at least trying to learn the language of the country that they are living in or have moved to.

A very slight change in the history of the Americas would have the USA as either a French or a Spanish speaking country. For better or worse (usually worse as they've fucked up a good language) English is the language of the USA. At least try to learn it and speak it - you can continue to keep your cultural identity speaking two languages.

I've had to learn how to speak American and I try to most of the time, when here.

stillies77
05-29-2008, 07:13 AM
I agree with seanchai.

Ziggy33
05-29-2008, 07:51 AM

Case in point :lol:

Typo...my bad! ENGLISH!

OEMEnemyNum1
05-29-2008, 08:31 AM
I think everyone should have a deep understanding of Calculus. I mean, we use math everyday.

"Why can't all you guys do it?"

ted naves
05-29-2008, 08:57 AM
I think everyone should have a deep understanding of Calculus. I mean, we use math everyday.

"Why can't all you guys do it?"

Haha, nice.

justatransgirl
05-29-2008, 09:16 AM

Spanish is easy. I find French to be more of a challenge.

Habla espanol - que es necessario porque viva quince minutos norte de la frontera - y casi todos de los jentes aqui que hable soloemente espanol proque no estan supuesto viven aqui.

For the American speakers in the crowd I said... I speak some spanish, because I live 15 mintues form the border and everyone here speaks spanish because most of them aren't supposed to be here and should go home - until Mexico gives Americans the right to live and work there too. Fair is fair.

I also once used to speak almost passable French, but through non-use I've forgotten 90%. Cest-la-vie.

Giggles,
TS Jamie :-)

Fukin A yeah!

qtsfan
05-29-2008, 09:45 AM
if i were living in mexico, i'd give a shit about learning how to speak spanish. then again, mexican spanish isn't real spanish anyways. i don't know spanish because i don't fucking want to.

i took french in high school, japanese in college, can speak vietnamese and english isn't even my first language.

why don't you tell all your friends to go learn some english? that way, we can hope to get the few millions of illegals to learn the national language instead of forcing the other hundreds of millions to cater to the small minority.

thx1138
05-29-2008, 09:48 AM
Virtually all of "english" is derived from other languages. i.e. America = Amerigo Vespucci (an Italian) + United States Estados Unidos (both derived from latin.

El Nino
05-29-2008, 09:57 AM
Telepathy is cool too...

meghanchavalier
05-29-2008, 10:04 AM
I took French we didn't have Spanish as an option back in the 1800's when I was attending. But, I'm always open to learn a new language.

justatransgirl
05-29-2008, 10:06 AM
if i were living in mexico, i'd give a shit about learning how to speak spanish. then again, mexican spanish isn't real spanish anyways. i don't know spanish because i don't fucking want to.

i took french in high school, japanese in college, can speak vietnamese and english isn't even my first language.

why don't you tell all your friends to go learn some english? that way, we can hope to get the few millions of illegals to learn the national language instead of forcing the other hundreds of millions to cater to the small minority.

Whoops - I left out - I live NORTH of the border.

And they aren't my friends - but I have to say this.

Tonight at 10:30pm my 82 year old Mother, Jessica and I just exited the freeway in San Diego and the stupid car conked out about 1/2 a mile from home.

A police car happened by a couple of minutes later, and said they couldn't do anything for us since we weren't blocking traffic.

Within another 5 minutes TWO different cars of Mexican people stopped to help us push the car about 500 feet to where we could park it safely until I can get it towed tomorrow.

So not all spanish speaking people are bad.

Hugs,

bubbski
05-29-2008, 10:20 AM
That's what living in CaliMexiChinica is all about!!!!

underdog6
05-29-2008, 08:19 PM

... and goddamit, don't leave again.

LOL Thats not a problem. I don't buy bulk Valium or xanax anymore. Too hard to get it across the border now.

underdog6
05-29-2008, 08:22 PM
I took French we didn't have Spanish as an option back in the 1800's when I was attending. But, I'm always open to learn a new language.

LMAO! You can't be that old. You don't look a day over 21. Beside in my Highschool we studied Latin. So i'm cool if i run across some romans or need to name a new critter.

nohj68
05-29-2008, 09:04 PM

Why should I? This is not Puerto Rico, Spain, the DR, Cuba, etc.. I find it hard to believe that immigrants come to this country and expect me to understand them. Why should I have to go out of my way? We speak english here. Go to the library or a local community college and take a free english class. If I went to a spanish speaking country and was pissed that nobody spoke english I'm sure I wouldn't receive a sympathetic response.

flabbybody
05-29-2008, 09:42 PM
if you take two more or less equal non-Hispanic guys in NYC in terms of looks, age, confidence, money, etc and one speaks only English and the other is bilinqual in Spanish, the bilingual guy gets laid more. simple as that

you can say foolish things like everyone should speak English but the fact is when people come here from South America they struggle with our language for a time, as we would would with their's if we moved to their countries

BeardedOne
05-29-2008, 10:14 PM
It's always amusing to hear US citizens demanding that immigrants 'speak English' when so few of them are capable of doing it themselves. I'm originally from the Boston area (Pronounced 'Bawsten') and grew up with the likes of English (Perhaps best referred to as 'American English' akin to 'Canadian French') that includes words such as 'jeetchet', 'jewanna', 'annacanna', and 'teat'.

To the linguistically unencumbered, an example:

"Jeetchet? Jewanna have lunch wi' me, annacanna I got no one else teat wit'?"

I have a loose grasp of foreign languages (Anything outside of the Northeast US being 'foreign' in this respect), but I do try to gather a little bit of linguistical knowledge in my travels.

I know the important things like 'Damn!' in Spanish (Maldito!) and 'Fuck you, pig!' in Swedish (Knula de, snoot! (Sp?)), so I can get by. :)

I'm honestly trying to get a better grasp of Spanish (I wasted my language years in school on Far-rench :P ) because I'd like to have some better communication with my Mexicans (Yah, I got Mexicans). While the kids (Children and nephews) of my former neighbors are very fluent in 'English', the patriarch of the family is fresh across the border and is trying quite hard to learn the language, but needs both assistance and support in doing so. He's a good man, a hard worker, and deserves a certain amount of respect that a lot of 'Americans' take as a given.

Does this man need to learn the language? Well, yes, as it will certainly make his life easier. Should we =force= him to learn the language and completely disregard, nay...disrespect his own in the process? I don't think so.

The Japanese hooked on a very good way to teach their people English as a second language: They have, for some years now, published manga/comics with bilingual text. The comics themselves will often have Japanese characters in the word balloons while a facing page will have both the Japanese characters and the English text, along with various explanations of the syntax and grammatical structure.

I personally know of at least two people, so enamored with the Japanimation style of art/storytelling (To the point that one actually coined the term 'Japanimation'), that they learned a smattering of Japnaese and then moved to Japan to teach English, in an effort to learn more Japanese so that they could better enjoy their favorite animation programs in their original language.

Go figure.

So yah, this isn't Spain, Cuba, Puerto Rico, etc. Yet, if we are so much better than they are, howcum it is that we can barely speak a single language while they speak two, three or more?

To anyone interested in a little bit of fun bilingual education, I recommend www.gocomics.com . There are a handful of comics there, such as Baldo, Yenny, and others, that are listed in either English or Spanish. I read both Baldo (Which appears in the Washington Post and the Wilmington News Journal) and Yenny almost every day and sometimes pull up the posts in Spanish (Sometimes, due to a glitch in the program, Yenny appears in Spanish on both Spanish and English sites). It can't hurt and the learning can even be fun. :)

Legspreader
05-29-2008, 11:11 PM

In the United States, it is a requirement to take a class on foreign language and Spanish is just one of the languages people can choose from. It's no big deal if people can't speak Spanish. Some just choose to speak a different language. Spanish speakers can learn how to speak English (at least to the level of getting their point across) that's why we have schools to teach them. Now is that too hard to do?

redtiger
05-29-2008, 11:35 PM
はじめに、私の高等学校でスペイン語のクラスがありませんでした。大学でドイツ語を取った。だめだった!! !私には,ラテン系言語は難しいです。 そう、日本のアニメがすきだから、日本語を勉強した。日本語はもっ と易しかった。

translation:

To begin with, in my high school there was no Spanish class. In college I took German. I did terrible! Latin-based languages are very difficult for me. So, since I love Japanese anime I studied Japanese. Japanese was much easier!

qtsfan
05-30-2008, 12:19 AM
Whoops - I left out - I live NORTH of the border.

And they aren't my friends - but I have to say this.

Tonight at 10:30pm my 82 year old Mother, Jessica and I just exited the freeway in San Diego and the stupid car conked out about 1/2 a mile from home.

A police car happened by a couple of minutes later, and said they couldn't do anything for us since we weren't blocking traffic.

Within another 5 minutes TWO different cars of Mexican people stopped to help us push the car about 500 feet to where we could park it safely until I can get it towed tomorrow.

So not all spanish speaking people are bad.

Hugs,

I'm not saying spanish speaking people are bad. On the contrary, I never even touched on that whole issue of them being good or bad people. I'm just saying that if they're gonna be here, learn the language. If we're gonna cave in on this, might as well force everybody to learn Chinese, Tagalog, Italian, etc. Or, we could just expect all the minorities to learn English. I vote for the latter.

tonkatoy
05-30-2008, 01:42 AM
I think that people immigrating to America or expecting to work here should learn English. My gf is first generation American from Greek heritage, and while her parents and older relatives still speak greek amongst themselves they would never expect the people they interact with to learn greek in order to do business with them. Of course in recent history Spanish speaking immigrants far outweigh others. Im not calling spanish speaking people fat, there are just more of them. I live in a fairly rural area, but I have witnessed several things, there are companies that have to have a few bi-lingual people just to talk to their workforce. Panera Bread comes to mind. I have also worked around construction crews that had a foreman who could speak Spanish and english, while none of the rest of the crew seemed to be able to. I always wondered how the rest of them read the prints but i guess most of it is pretty easy to figure out, and a lot of it is just measurements. When I was in Scotland I felt embarrassed, most of us did, that we could not speak any or where not fluent in any foreign languages. I met a girl there from sweeden and gave her my AC#DC dollar which had a picture of Angus Young on it where the president would be. Anyway, she spoke several languages and was very pretty, later I made a hand puppet that looked like her, but she said that a ton of people in Europe spoke english, ust because of music and movies and television. My experience with most of the Scottish and British people I met was that they could only speak english, that there was no need to learn french or german or anything since most of them learned to speak english. i would like to learn spanish

PapiQueRico
05-30-2008, 02:24 AM
Maybe all these proud Americans should learn English? :screwy

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/gen/21016/original.jpg

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2008-05-04-morans.jpg

Alyssa87
05-30-2008, 02:25 AM
^^thats priceless^^

Nowhere
05-30-2008, 02:27 AM

Two school years of one hour a day HS Spanish (typical amount of education) or any language out there does NOT come close to fluency.

It's pretty damn simple.

Shemale_luver_str8
05-30-2008, 06:50 AM

I took spanish for 2 weeks before I was kicked out. I was kicked out cuz I asked the teacher why do I have to learn to speak spanish why cant the damn foriegners learn to speak english.

I dont speak or write it at all because Im american, I speak english, you want to come to my country you better damn well learn english instead of forcing me to learn your damn language. Hows that for an answer? If thats not good enough then tough shit.

4star4
05-30-2008, 07:20 AM

I took spanish for 2 weeks before I was kicked out. I was kicked out cuz I asked the teacher why do I have to learn to speak spanish why cant the damn foriegners learn to speak english.

I dont speak or write it at all because Im american, I speak english, you want to come to my country you better damn well learn english instead of forcing me to learn your damn language. Hows that for an answer? If thats not good enough then tough shit.

You shouldn't have taken the class to begin with. In the USA, nobody is forcing anyone to learn anything. I decided to learn Spanish to enhance my skills, and broaden my horizens. I'll pick it up again soon, when I go back to Spain, but not until then. I commend you for speaking English, and I hope you keep going forward with your quest for knowlege.

goldensamba
05-30-2008, 09:22 AM
I lived in Mexico for about 9 months and I didn't see anyone going out of their way to accommodate me in English. Spanish is the language and it's what I had to speak. The same applies when Mexicans come here.

Requirement for being a citizen: Learning English.

I happen to understand a few languages but I don't expect to be required to use them in the US. Just like I don't expect to go to Portugal and have separate things because I can't speak Portuguese. Doesn't really make sense does it?

tslvrnyc
05-30-2008, 01:52 PM

I'm always amazed by people who parade their ignorance for all to see. Learning Spanish wouldn't detract from your ability to speak English. Much to the contrary it would augment your English since so many of what we'd consider "big words" are from Latin and have cognates in Spanish.

Requiring immigrants to learn English is a completely separate issue. Of couse immigrants to the US should have to have basic proficiency in English, and work toward complete fluency. It seems most immigrants do. Rarely do I encounter a Hispanic who can't speak English. Maybe it's my part of the country (New York), but it isn't the people for whom Spanish is their first language who cannot communicate in English.

Seanchai, I agree with most of what you said but I think you're being a little sanctimonious. I'm fairly certain that even fewer Britons can speak a foreign language.

SugaSweet
05-30-2008, 02:44 PM
Yo no se por que!

tsntx
05-30-2008, 06:48 PM

I'm always amazed by people who parade their ignorance for all to see. Learning Spanish wouldn't detract from your ability to speak English. Much to the contrary it would augment your English since so many of what we'd consider "big words" are from Latin and have cognates in Spanish.

Requiring immigrants to learn English is a completely separate issue. Of couse immigrants to the US should have to have basic proficiency in English, and work toward complete fluency. It seems most immigrants do. Rarely do I encounter a Hispanic who can't speak English. Maybe it's my part of the country (New York), but it isn't the people for whom Spanish is their first language who cannot communicate in English.

Seanchai, I agree with most of what you said but I think you're being a little sanctimonious. I'm fairly certain that even fewer Britons can speak a foreign language.

io so sorryo to haveo offendedo youro presciouso ego ...usted no me roba cuando usted está limpiando mi casa

laoda8
05-30-2008, 08:22 PM
I never need to (I live in miami btw). I'm educated in english, all my professors speak english, programming languages are in english-like derivations, my friends speak english, etc.

youcancallmeclaire
05-30-2008, 08:58 PM
I know a language we can all speak.
*gets naked*

Jericho
05-30-2008, 10:49 PM

Jonny Foreigner can bloody well learn to speak English...Like wot we do! :roll:

BrendaQG
05-31-2008, 12:38 AM
Yo hablo y escribir espanol mas paquito. Yo comprendi espanol bueno. Which is kind of strange. Though in times past when I lived with and had to communicate with people who knew Spanish better than english I picked up some words.

That said. I agree with Seanchi. As they say "When in Rome do as the Romans do."

tonkatoy
05-31-2008, 03:06 AM
Yo Quero Taco Bell

El Nino
05-31-2008, 04:44 AM
Paging All Americans!!!!!!!

http://www.ae911truth.org/

I repeat

Oli
05-31-2008, 06:50 AM
I never need to (I live in miami btw). I'm educated in english, all my professors speak english, programming languages are in english-like derivations, my friends speak english, etc.

In Miami, Spanish is becoming the primary language

MIAMI (AP) — Melissa Green's mother spoke Spanish, but she never learned — her father forbid it. Today, that's a frequent problem in this city where the English-speaking population is outnumbered.

The 49-year-old flower shop owner and Miami native said her inability to speak "espanol" makes it difficult to conduct business, seek help at stores and even ask directions. She finds it "frustrating."

"It makes it hard for some people to find a job because they don't speak Spanish, and I don't think that it is right," said Green, who sometimes calls a Spanish-speaking friend to translate for customers who don't speak English.

"Sometimes I think they should learn it," she said.

In many areas of Miami, Spanish has become the predominant language, replacing English in everyday life. Anyone from Latin America could feel at home on the streets, without having to pronounce a single word in English.

In stores, shopkeepers wait on their clients in Spanish. Universities offer programs for Spanish speakers. And in supermarkets, banks, restaurants — even at the post office and government offices — information is given and assistance is offered in Spanish. In Miami, doctors and nurses speak Spanish with their patients and a large portion of advertising is in Spanish. Daily newspapers and radio and television stations cater to the Hispanic public.

But this situation, so pleasing to Latin American immigrants, makes some English speakers feel marginalized. In the 1950s, it's estimated that more than 80 percent of Miami-Dade County residents were non-Hispanic whites. But in 2006, the Census Bureau estimates that number was only 18.5 percent, and in 2015 it is forecast to be 14 percent. Hispanics now make up about 60 percent.

"The Anglo population is leaving," said Juan Clark, a sociology professor at Miami Dade College. "One of the reactions is to emigrate toward the north. They resent the fact that (an American) has to learn Spanish in order to have advantages to work. If one doesn't speak Spanish, it's a disadvantage."

According to the Census, 58.5 percent of the county's 2.4 million residents speak Spanish — and half of those say they don't speak English well. English-only speakers make up 27.2 percent of the county's residents.

In the mainly Cuban city of Hialeah and in the Miami neighborhood of Little Havana, 94 percent of residents identified themselves as Hispanic.

Andrew Lynch, an expert on linguistics and bilingualism at the University of Miami, said that the presence of Spanish-speakers first became an issue in Miami-Dade County in the 1960s and '70s with the arrival of Cuban immigrants and intensified in the '80s with immigrants from not just Cuba, but Argentina, Venezuela and elsewhere in Latin America. The exodus of English speakers soon followed.

James McCleary, his wife and two children left Miami in 1987 for Vermont, where he is now a farmer. McCleary, 58, said his inability to speak Spanish made it difficult for him to find work — it once took seven months to get hired as a cook.

"The job market was very tough. It was very, very difficult," he said.

His wife, Lauren, was born and raised in Miami and they visit at least twice a year, but she feels that it's no longer her hometown.

"I don't like being there anymore. It is very, very different," she said. "I cannot live there anymore, I can't speak their language."

Nevertheless, she likes the diversity of the population of South Florida and regrets not learning Spanish in school.

Librarian Martha Phillips, 61, believes those who speak Spanish will continue to have more opportunities and she doesn't think that's necessarily fair. Phillips said she is sorry to see non-Spanish-speakers abandoning Miami, and said she's concerned that the area "will be like a branch of Latin America."

"I do resent the fact that people seem to expect that the people who live here adjust to their ways, rather than learning English and making adjustments," she said. "Obviously I don't expect an older person to learn to speak English, but younger people come in and they don't seem to make much of an effort to learn to adapt to this country and they expect us to adapt to them."

Some Spanish speakers say they have their own trouble with those who only speak English.

Mary Bravo, a 37-year-old Venezuelan business owner, moved to Miami nine years ago. She understands English but only speaks a little.

"This land is theirs. We should try to speak English," she said, "but they don't even try to understand us."

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gyC6SxiYbc_r9RaeX4uNkf4IxSXwD90V6OEO0

scroller
05-31-2008, 09:31 AM

So learn Latin.

Why the unnecessary middleman? Pretty much everyone I know took Latin in school, yet I feel like no one can use it when they need to.

Quod erat demonstrandum.

Shemale_luver_str8
05-31-2008, 09:36 AM

You shouldn't have taken the class to begin with. In the USA, nobody is forcing anyone to learn anything. I decided to learn Spanish to enhance my skills, and broaden my horizens. I'll pick it up again soon, when I go back to Spain, but not until then. I commend you for speaking English, and I hope you keep going forward with your quest for knowlege.

I guess either you didnt realize that to graduate from high school and move on to a decent college you have to take a foriegn language. I was never given an option, they just assumed Id be happy with learning another language. I can still get into college without speaking spanish, german or any other language. Mind you I can read some japanese, but not much, and speak a little too. But asians learn our language when they come here, hispanics dont. I think the following rules should apply to becoming an american citizen:

1. Learn English
2. Read me a book in English
3. If you do not learn it, then get the hell out
4. Dont open your own little mexicano outlets on every corner
5. No more then 5-6 family members in one house, that means a mother a father, kids, and maybe grandparents. But not all of your friends.
6. Dont even bother because with my standards we've got enough so just bouce back over the fence hombre.

tsntx
05-31-2008, 10:11 AM
lol : claps

ARMANIXXX
05-31-2008, 10:42 AM

I guess either you didnt realize that to graduate from high school and move on to a decent college you have to take a foriegn language. I was never given an option, they just assumed Id be happy with learning another language. I can still get into college without speaking spanish, german or any other language. Mind you I can read some japanese, but not much, and speak a little too. But asians learn our language when they come here, hispanics dont. I think the following rules should apply to becoming an american citizen:

1. Learn English
5. No more then 5-6 family members in one house, that means a mother a father, kids, and maybe grandparents. But not all of your friends.
6. Dont even bother because with my standards we've got enough so just bouce back over the fence hombre.

Actually that's not true.

All you need is 2 years of fine arts, which can include a myriad of courses such as various music courses, painting, drawing, photography, band, cooking/baking, sewing, fashion, and a host of others.

And for no reason at all, other than I've come back from a club/bar, I decided to point that pointless shit out.

bulldog
05-31-2008, 11:06 AM
Because I live in Wisconsin, not too many spanish speaking people up here hoss ;) german on the other hand ;)

tslvrnyc
05-31-2008, 02:38 PM

io so sorryo to haveo offendedo youro presciouso ego ...usted no me roba cuando usted está limpiando mi casa

Offended my ego lol. Not only would you be incapable of doing this, you offend your own ego every time that tailpipe of ignorance for a mouth of yours spews out your particularly unhumorous variety of vitriol. Also, by the way, I'm not of Hispanic heritage nor do I clean homes so your comments don't mean much to me.

Why can't you dolts separate the immigration issue from acquiring the ability to speak a second language?

goldensamba
05-31-2008, 06:19 PM

1. Learn English

All you need is 2 years of fine arts, which can include a myriad of courses such as various music courses, painting, drawing, photography, band, cooking/baking, sewing, fashion, and a host of others.

And for no reason at all, other than I've come back from a club/bar, I decided to point that pointless shit out.

This depends on the high school you went to and the college you are trying to attend.

nohj68
05-31-2008, 10:05 PM
So yah, this isn't Spain, Cuba, Puerto Rico, etc. Yet, if we are so much better than they are, howcum it is that we can barely speak a single language while they speak two, three or more?

You are describing accents that are common to a region in this country. America is a big place and there are many accents. I'm from "Lawn Guyland," but because I have an LI accent doesn't mean I can't speak the language properly.

My mother's mother and her mother's mother and family came to this country from Italy. Yet my mother doesn't speak much Italian. Sure she knows a word or two and can understand bits and pieces of a conversation, but she grew up speaking English. Why? Because her parents and grandparents came to this country and made a point to understand and speak English. People who come to this country today can learn a lot from the immigrants from the past. Those people didn't come here and expect me to understand them, to speak their language. They made a point to learn the language spoken in the country they are now calling home.

Quick story. In the early 90s their was a hockey trade, where a player went from Philadelphia to Quebec. While he was a Canadian national, he was from the English speaking part of Canada. After his trade to the French speaking province, he went out of his way to learn French, and in turn, became one of the more popular players on his team with the fans, not only because of his play on the ice, but because he made an effort to "fit in" with the people of Quebec. He didn't hire an interpreter or demand that people speak to him in English.

scroller
05-31-2008, 11:14 PM
Why can't you dolts separate the immigration issue from acquiring the ability to speak a second language?

But you didn't make a thread about about "learning a second language".

So, why are you so hung up on the Spanish thing? (As opposed to French, German, Japanese, etc.) Your arguments don't make any sense in relation to your fixation on Spanish uber alles.

GinX
06-01-2008, 12:37 AM

Here's a few reasons:

I didn't take Spanish in High School. I took two years of French, most of which I've forgotten due to non-use. Spanish isn't always a first choice.

At the risk of sounding prejudiced or biased, this is the United States and the dominant language is and always has been English. I should not be expected to read or write any foreign languages fluently in my own country. That may sound as if I have a problem with immigrants; on the contrary, I welcome them. This country was founded by immigrants and new immigrants make it easier to access foreign cultures and ideas. I have only ever asked one thing of those who wish to immigrate: if this country is going to be your permanent home, please learn to read and speak English at least moderately well. I only ask this because otherwise how will we communicate? If there is no communication, how can we help each other? I mean think about it...would you move to, say, Germany on a permanent basis and not learn to read and speak German?

That's my two cents.

redtiger
06-01-2008, 01:09 AM

Offended my ego lol. Not only would you be incapable of doing this, you offend your own ego every time that tailpipe of ignorance for a mouth of yours spews out your particularly unhumorous variety of vitriol. Also, by the way, I'm not of Hispanic heritage nor do I clean homes so your comments don't mean much to me.

Well, it could be we can't seperate the 2 because one of the problems this country faces is ILLEGAL immigration. Which group of immigrants is currently the most prevalent group associated w/ illegal immigration. The Spanish speaking group!!!

And which language did you single out that you wished Americans would learn to speak and/or understand?----SPANISH!! You didn't state that you felt we should learn any other language, you specifically tied this thread to the SPANISH language. Did you mention German, Italian, French,etc. NO, tslvrnyc, you tied it in w/ Spanish. None of these other languages are tied to the topic of illegal immigration as Spanish currently is!! Hence, the 2 get tied together. What did you expect???

tsntx
06-01-2008, 03:13 AM

all i heard was "blah blah blah" and something that sounded like a fairly bruised ego

yngtxmale24
06-01-2008, 03:18 AM

all i heard was "blah blah blah" and something that sounded like a fairly bruised egoi love tsntx

tsntx
06-01-2008, 03:20 AM
:)

cockgobbler
06-01-2008, 03:25 AM
I am probably going to get ripped for this but, America has ONE official language, English. So in terms of not being able to speak Spanish "when you have to", you shouldn't have to.

If I were going to a country were they spoke a language other than English, I feel it is MY responsibilty to learn THEIR language, not the other way around.

In Canada our official languages are English and French, which we have to take in school from grade 4 until grade 11 (I think, it's been a while). Even after 8 or so years of taking French, I still don't think I would be able to carry on a conversation in French.

4star4
06-01-2008, 03:38 AM
I am probably going to get ripped for this but, America has ONE official language, English. So in terms of not being able to speak Spanish "when you have to", you shouldn't have to.

If I were going to a country were they spoke a language other than English, I feel it is MY responsibilty to learn THEIR language, not the other way around.

In Canada our official languages are English and French, which we have to take in school from grade 4 until grade 11 (I think, it's been a while). Even after 8 or so years of taking French, I still don't think I would be able to carry on a conversation in French.

Canada has always been a great neighbor to the USA.

scroller
06-01-2008, 04:17 AM
I am probably going to get ripped for this but, America has ONE official language, English.

Actually, the USA does not have any official language at the federal level. 28 states establish English as an official state language. Hawaii established English & Hawaiian as its two official languages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_states

Shemale_luver_str8
06-01-2008, 06:12 AM

1. Learn English

No, actually where Im from they tell you you can choose, but dont let you. Enable for me to go to college with a advanced diploma, or even the basic diploma I still needed the foreign languages.

CORVETTEDUDE
06-01-2008, 05:38 PM
:arrow: Hope this clears it up for ya!

cockgobbler
06-01-2008, 06:58 PM
I am probably going to get ripped for this but, America has ONE official language, English.

Actually, the USA does not have any official language at the federal level. 28 states establish English as an official state language. Hawaii established English & Hawaiian as its two official languages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_states

See ya learn something new every day.

I'm Canadian, so I wrongly assumed that English was recognized as America's official language.

goldensamba
06-01-2008, 07:15 PM
I've never understood the lame disenfranchisement argument when pertaining to making English the official language. Since learning English is a requirement (or supposed to be) to become a citizen no one should feel "left out"

I guess it's much smarter to complain about it and march in the streets of downtown LA with flags showing allegiance to the country you loved so much you left it for a better life.

Think how much we could increase teacher's salaries if we didn't have to double up on teachers in places like LA and South Texas because some people are too irresponsible to teach their children English.

thx1138
06-11-2008, 12:49 PM
FoxNews does it part to dumb down America. OMG! They're not wearing their flag pins on their lapels. http://www.crooksandliars.com/2008/06/10/open-thread-833/#comments

goldensamba
06-11-2008, 04:23 PM
FoxNews does it part to dumb down America. OMG! They're not wearing their flag pins on their lapels. http://www.crooksandliars.com/2008/06/10/open-thread-833/#comments

And you forgot about pieces of genius like this http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/06/09/fox-anchor-calls-obama-fi_n_106027.html

Apparently every athlete in America is a terrorist too based on this logic.

thx1138
06-12-2008, 12:59 PM
Ah yes, the fist jabbing. Doesn't Murdoch realize things like this make his organization look utterly ridiculous? BTW: there's a new tape out where Johnny McSame calls Vlad Putin "the president of Germany". lol

Surkis
06-12-2008, 01:16 PM
If I wanted to learn spanish i'd move to mexico, and like fuck i'm ever going there.

TsVanessa69
06-12-2008, 01:21 PM
learn chinese!

Pobrecita ... get away from the Ricans once in awhile, lol. :lol:Hey hey!! No hay nada mejor!!!!!!!!!
Soy Boricua!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TsVanessa69
06-12-2008, 01:23 PM
:arrow: Hope this clears it up for ya!
YEP, yo tampoco!!!!!!!!

TYR
06-12-2008, 04:40 PM
I have actual Spanish blood in me (from Spain) and i do not speak Spanish. If i wanted to speak Spanish in my daily life i would move to a south American country or Spain. I live in American and have been brought up with the English language as the dialect of the majority and the dialect of the FOUNDERS of this COUNTRY. And although i am currently learning to speak Spanish i will not speak Spanish in any dominant fashion due to the fact that we are NOT IN SPAIN NOR IN MEXICO OR ANY OTHER SOUTH AMERICAN COUNTRY,

richbo
06-13-2008, 01:18 AM

Because I live in friggin' America! I pushed one for English! If I wanted to speak Spanish, I would move somewhere else.

stevenb43
06-13-2008, 07:31 AM
I am old for here at 50 but I live in the usa and only want to speak english........enough said but if i moved to mexico i would learn spanish alright.

Cyclops
06-13-2008, 11:52 AM

????Pretty much everyone has taken Spanish in school???

WTF are you talking about??? I never took spanish in school,It was never offered as a course! even if it was,I wouldn't have taken it!

How can you make such a statement?Not everone has teyed to learn other languages (let alone everyone learning spanish)

please get your facts straight before making such a statement!

I speak ENGLISH ONLY!

the language here in the USA is English(not spanish,french,vietnamese,chinese,portuguese,germa n,russian,or ny other language)