PDA

View Full Version : Court clears way for 12yo's sex change

praetor
05-27-2008, 04:34 AM
Court clears way for 12yo's sex change

Posted Sun May 25, 2008 8:00am AEST
Updated Sun May 25, 2008 8:08am AEST

A Family Court judge has allowed a 12-year-old girl, who wants to become a boy, to begin hormone treatment.

The court heard that the girl has thought of herself as a boy since she was four years old.

Her mother made an application on her behalf, for her to begin hormone treatment to stop her pubertal development, the first step in a process which, if continued, would allow her to pursue life as a boy.

The court heard her father objected to the treatment, and sent her a text message saying, "I want the little girl, not some girl that thinks she is a boy".

But the judge heard the girl yelled at her father she would kill herself if she had to live as a girl.

The judge ruled the hormone treatment was in her best interests.

The Family Court orders also permit her to apply for a new birth certificate, passport and Medicare card in a boy's name.

Federal Minister for Families Jenny Macklin says she does not know the details of the case, but says she has faith in the Family Court.

"I think we have to understand that these issues are extremely complex, so I don't want to go into the details of it," she said.

"Family law and the court is set up with the interests of children at its heart but I don't want to go into the details."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/05/25/2254801.htm

Asia-Pacific News
Court clears 12-year-old girl to change sex

May 25, 2008, 4:41 GMT

Sydney - Australian officials said Sunday they would not interfere in a family squabble over whether a 12-year-old girl can have the hormone treatment needed to become a boy.

A Family Court judge ruled that the girl, who has thought of herself as a boy since she was four, could embark on a sex change.

Her mother had appealed to the court after her husband had objected to hormone treatment.

The court heard the father had sent his daughter a text message that read 'I want the little girl, not some girl that thinks she is a boy.'

The judge ordered that the child be issued a new birth certificate and passport that reflected her changed sex.

Minister for Families Jenny Macklin said the government would allow the Family Court to rule on the issue.

'I think we have to understand that these issues are extremely complex, so I don't want to go into the details of it,' she told national broadcaster ABC.

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/news/asiapacific/news/article_1407392.php/Court_clears_12-year-old_girl_to_change_sex

Judge gives girl, 12, go-ahead to change sex
By Nick Squires in Sydney
Last Updated: 12:22AM BST 26/05/2008
A judge has provoked controversy in Australia by ruling that a 12-year-old girl could begin the first phase of a sex change.

The unnamed girl has begun hormone treatment to block puberty after a judge accepted an application from her mother for her to begin to reassign her gender.

A family court judgment said it was important to act quickly to prevent the onset of puberty as the girl dreaded the prospect of menstruation and developing breasts, and had threatened self-harm.

It was reported yesterday that during a hearing in December, the court heard that the girl from Victoria had thought of herself as a boy since the age of four. Several medical experts, including a psychiatrist, backed her application for a sex change.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/australiaandthepacific/australia/2028694/Australia-Judge-gives-girl,-12,-go-ahead-to-change-sex.html

Nowhere
05-27-2008, 09:20 AM
The title of the article is false.

Hormone treatment = / = SRS.