PDA

View Full Version : Serious question for the girls that had SRS

freak
05-26-2008, 10:44 AM
I am not being rude, I am just curious.

How many girls that have had the SRS regret getting it done or went through 2nd thoughts after getting it done.

peggygee
05-26-2008, 10:52 AM
Y'all gonna make me lose my mind....

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l2/magi43/headache.jpg

...up in here....up in here...

Alyssa87
05-26-2008, 12:29 PM
lmao. peggy, u should just save these answers in a word document.
...and copy & paste as needed.

thx1138
05-26-2008, 12:41 PM
@ Peggy Gee: Who is the lady in your reply? She's beautiful. I want to be her slave.

peggygee
05-26-2008, 08:25 PM

How many girls that have had the SRS regret getting it done or went through 2nd thoughts after getting it done.

Post 3000

You have asked earnestly, thus I shall answer.

First I will respond for myself personally:

As you might imagine, GRS is a life altering and serious decision.
Accordingly I gave it great thought and introspection and discussion
with those whose opinions I valued, as well as counselling on the matter.

For me it was not a frivolous or spur of the moment decision, but rather
a further step in my growth as a woman on my road to self-actualization.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l2/magi43/thepyramid1.gif

Others may do it because they feel that it is panacea to all of life's woes,
or that it will land them an ideal mate, or for other unrealistic reasons.

As I have stated, prior to undergoing GRS I gave it a great deal of thought
and not for one nano-second after have I regretted that decision.

Secondly from my friendships, discussions, and research with other post
operative transwomen I have found that they too for the most part were
happy with their decisions.

In support of that here is a link to roughly 500 case studies of thousands of surgical outcomes (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez)

I have put forth a few here:

1: Arch Sex Behav. 2006 Dec;35(6):711-5.

Follow-up of sex reassignment surgery in transsexuals: a Brazilian cohort.Lobato MI, Koff WJ, Manenti C, da Fonseca Seger D, Salvador J, da Graça Borges Fortes M, Petry AR, Silveira E, Henriques AA.

Gender Identity Disorder/Transsexualism Program-PROTIG, Hospital de Clínicas de Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, Brazil. mlupo@pro.via-rs.com.br

This study examined the impact of sex reassignment surgery on the satisfaction with sexual experience, partnerships, and relationship with family members in a cohort of Brazilian transsexual patients. A group of 19 patients who received sex reassignment between 2000 and 2004 (18 male-to-female, 1 female-to-male) after a two-year evaluation by a multidisciplinary team, and who agreed to participate in the study, completed a written questionnaire. Mean age at entry into the program was 31.21+/-8.57 years and mean schooling was 9.2+/-1.4 years.

None of the patients reported regret for having undergone the surgery. Sexual experience was considered to have improved by 83.3% of the patients, and became more frequent for 64.7% of the patients. For 83.3% of the patients, sex was considered to be pleasurable with the neovagina/neopenis. In addition, 64.7% reported that initiating and maintaining a relationship had become easier.

The number of patients with a partner increased from 52.6% to 73.7%. Family relationships improved in 26.3% of the cases, whereas 73.7% of the patients did not report a difference. None of the patients reported worse relationships with family members after sex reassignment. In conclusion, the overall impact of sex reassignment surgery on this cohort of patients was positive.

PMID: 17075731 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

1: Am J Psychiatry. 1980 Apr;137(4):432-8. Links
Follow-up of 17 biologic male transsexuals after sex-reassignment surgery.Hunt DD, Hampson JL.

The authors followed up 17 biologic male transsexuals who had received sex-reassignment surgery an average of 8.2 years previously. Information was collected from the transsexuals, their partners, and family members when appropriate; MMPI scores were obtained from 12. No changes in levels of psychopathology and only modest gains overall in economic functioning and interpersonal relationships were found. Larger gains were made in sexual satisfaction and being accepted by family members.

None of the 17 transsexuals had doubts about having had the surgery. The authors believe that for a select group surgery is still the best means of coping with transsexualism and that an individual's adjustment before surgery is one of the best indicators of success in coping with the stress of surgery.

PMID: 7361928 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

1: Arch Sex Behav. 1988 Oct;17(5):439-57.

Sex reassignment surgery: a study of 141 Dutch transsexuals.Kuiper B, Cohen-Kettenis P.

Medical Psychology Department, Free University Hospital, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.

This is an evaluation of the therapeutic effect of sex reassignment surgery on 36 female-to-male transsexuals and 105 male-to-female transsexuals in the Netherlands. Data were collected by means of structured interviews. The evaluation was made on the basis of subjective data only, that is on what the persons themselves reported on their gender identity, gender role, and physical condition.

Allowing for the restrictive methodology of the (ex post facto) study, it is concluded that there is no reason to doubt the therapeutic effect of sex reassignment surgery.

No specific differences were found between those who were still in medical treatment and those who had completed treatment. The findings obtained in the female-to-male transsexuals compare favorably with those obtained in male-to-female transsexuals. Finally, the conclusion is drawn that more attention ought to be paid to psychosocial guidance in addition to medical guidance.

PMID: 3219066 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Here is an interesting study about possible risk factors vis-a-vis GRS:

Note though that the study has been conducted by Blanchard and Clarke et al.

1: Can J Psychiatry. 1989 Feb;34(1):43-5

Prediction of regrets in postoperative transsexuals.Blanchard R, Steiner BW, Clemmensen LH, Dickey R.

Gender Identity Clinic and Research Section of Behavioural Sexology, Clarke Institute of Psychiatry, Toronto, Ontario.

This study investigated whether heterosexual males are more likely to regret sex reassignment surgery than homosexual males or females. Subjects were 111 postoperative transsexuals who had been surgically reassigned for at least one year, representing a follow-up rate of 84.1%. Subjects' feelings about surgery were assessed with self-administered questionnaires.

None of the 61 homosexual females or 36 homosexual males consciously regretted surgery, compared to 4 of the 14 heterosexual males: a significant difference.

This finding suggests that heterosexual applicants for sex reassignment should be evaluated with particular caution, although a heterosexual preference is not an absolute contraindication for surgery.

PMID: 2924248 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

peggygee
05-26-2008, 09:11 PM
@ Peggy Gee: Who is the lady in your reply? She's beautiful. I want to be her slave.

What am I, chopped liver?

I could really use someone to clean my house.

:lol:

Aurora
05-29-2008, 04:13 PM
Ok, I'll bite.

I lurk on this forum every month or so and found this. Not to scare any of the girls here, but I do regret having it done. I'm not like, say, Mr. Finch who had it done and seemingly regrets all transition. I only regret SRS. However, I also think it's the right course of treatment for many if not most TS.

Any more than that, and anyone curious will have to take it up with me in a private message.

scroller
05-29-2008, 05:04 PM

One thing is that you're making the assumption that girls that do SRS hang around these boards afterwards to see your question. Very few do.

lahabra1976
05-29-2008, 06:38 PM
yea definitely agree with last statement

However, thank god cause the board has Peggy, we can see seem statistics from published studies rather than using a small sampling from the board, that maybe bias data cause it ain't randomly selected.

But now that I seen those statistics posted by Peggy, it seems that SRS isn't for the most people a regretful thing. But I wonder if there are any published studies on the percentage of tgirls (pre-op) that lare ooking to get SRS, reasons they haven't got SRS yet for those who want it (my guess is cash is probably the biggest reason)...It would be my guess however that most tgirls are looking to get SRS

Or even yet how many tgirls regret to have even began hormones and began their transition? In other words, are there a lot of tgirls that regreted started their transition and would have preferred to stay as a homosexual male?

peggygee
05-30-2008, 04:57 AM

One thing is that you're making the assumption that girls that do SRS hang around these boards afterwards to see your question. Very few do.

True dat.

We have hourly flights out of trannyville.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l2/magi43/leave4.jpg

:wink:

peggygee
05-30-2008, 05:21 AM
yea definitely agree with last statement

However, thank god cause the board has Peggy, we can see seem statistics from published studies rather than using a small sampling from the board, that maybe bias data cause it ain't randomly selected.

But now that I seen those statistics posted by Peggy, it seems that SRS isn't for the most people a regretful thing. But I wonder if there are any published studies on the percentage of tgirls (pre-op) that lare ooking to get SRS, reasons they haven't got SRS yet for those who want it (my guess is cash is probably the biggest reason)...It would be my guess however that most tgirls are looking to get SRS

Or even yet how many tgirls regret to have even began hormones and began their transition? In other words, are there a lot of tgirls that regreted started their transition and would have preferred to stay as a homosexual male?

Thank you, I'm truly humbled and glad that folks were able to take a
look at the studies that were presented.

I will try to find data on how many pre op women are working towards
GRS, and what some of the impediments to that are.

As to this point:

Not only is GRS not for every woman, but transitioning isn't for every one
either. As women have stated many times, transitioning often takes a toll
on family and friendships. They may be faced with harsh discrimination
or violence. It's a very exspensive and time consuming process, and for
that reason many who start the race do not make it to the finish line, and
more than a few women will de-transition.

peggygee
05-30-2008, 05:25 AM
Ok, I'll bite.

I lurk on this forum every month or so and found this. Not to scare any of the girls here, but I do regret having it done. I'm not like, say, Mr. Finch who had it done and seemingly regrets all transition. I only regret SRS. However, I also think it's the right course of treatment for many if not most TS.

Any more than that, and anyone curious will have to take it up with me in a private message.

Aurora, thank you so much for posting this.

MacShreach
06-01-2008, 01:00 AM
are there a lot of tgirls ..... would have preferred to stay as a homosexual male?

:popcorn

Dinand
06-01-2008, 07:37 PM
What does SRS mean?

Alyssa87
06-01-2008, 07:42 PM
Sexual Reassignment Surgery

ive also heard the term 'sexual confirmation surgery'. which i think is a much more positive phrase.

MacShreach
06-02-2008, 01:51 PM
Sexual Reassignment Surgery

ive also heard the term 'sexual confirmation surgery'. which i think is a much more positive phrase.

That sounds more accurate as well as more positive, IMO.