PDA

View Full Version : Ironman,you should see it asap

Legend
05-13-2008, 05:05 AM
Well i had a chance to see this movie today and it has to be the comic book to movie film i have ever seen.Downey was perfect for the role as starks and the other roles were perfectly casted as well.Hopefully in the next one the main villian will be mandarin oh and the war machine tease was f**king hysterical hopefully he is in the next film also.I think this movie will be the blue print for other comic book movies to follow from now on.

ShadowMaster
05-13-2008, 05:33 AM
It's pretty good. It's one of the best of the recent Marvel films. I hope the sequel will be just as good or better.

lilly_exohexoh
05-13-2008, 05:34 AM
loved it

blckhaze
05-13-2008, 06:30 AM
It was ok. Maybe is Stan lee wasnt making a movie evey year, I'd have liked it more. Glad to Downy Jr. back on his feet a little. I was definitely worried about his casting and he didnt fuck up at least

Anubis1079
05-13-2008, 06:33 AM
What was the war machine reference? I'm not that familiar with Ironman to have picked up on it

Anubis1079
05-13-2008, 06:35 AM
What was the war machine reference? I'm not that familiar with Ironman to have picked up on it

Anubis1079
05-13-2008, 06:36 AM
sorry about the double post, HA timed out on me

Legend
05-13-2008, 06:43 AM
It was ok. Maybe is Stan lee wasnt making a movie evey year, I'd have liked it more. Glad to Downy Jr. back on his feet a little. I was definitely worried about his casting and he didnt fuck up at least

This role was too perfect for downey there is no way he could have messed it up,without giving too much away addiction was one of the main reasons war machine take over his duties as iron man in the comic book.

Legend
05-13-2008, 06:50 AM

Spoilers down below so don't scroll down.

Rhodes looked at a gray iron man suit and said "next time baby".

blckhaze
05-13-2008, 06:59 AM

Terrence Howard let every black man down by not getting in the suit. EVERY BLACK PERSON IN THE THEATRE CURSED WHEN HE WALED AWAY!! BASTARD LOL

Anubis1079
05-13-2008, 07:07 AM
oh shit! that was the reference, Fuck, I can't believe I missed that!

blckhaze
05-13-2008, 07:16 AM

aint too many black super heroes so.....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Legend
05-13-2008, 07:28 AM

Luke Cage

Black Panther

Heroes For Hire(Cage & Iron Fist version)

Blade

Bishop

Storm

Nick Fury

Luke Cage and Black Panther movie is in the works, tho not yet confirmed.

I only know a few dc comic ones

Steel

The Green Latern

ShadowMaster
05-13-2008, 07:43 AM
Try the Museum of Black Superheroes
www.blacksuperhero.com/

I knew Rhodes wasn't going to get in the suit. They were just teasing us. However if we're lucky he'll be in the second or third one. Downey said that he was signed to a 3 movie contract.

Milestone Comics had many like Static, Icon, Blood Syndicate, and Hardware. They were a DC imprint. Unfortunately most didn't give them a shot until they died off. The only Indie Prints that have survived so far are Dark Horse and Image. The comic game is tougher than most think. It's not about how good your story is but how can you get people to read it.

Legend
05-13-2008, 07:54 AM
Static Shock is the only comic out of milestone to have some kind of success but if you ask the avergae joe who is static shock they would be like WTF who the hell is static shock.

ShadowMaster
05-13-2008, 08:10 AM
True. And it's a shame too because Static was a good comic book too. But again everybody check out the Museum because it's full of a lot interesting information.

Milestone was trying to create a diverse cast of characters and I think people misunderstood and thought it was going to be a black only thing. Breaks my heart a little because they also received literary accolades for their work by tackling tough subjects like AIDS, gangs, homosexuality, child abuse, and they even had some transgender characters. I think they could've survived the crunch if they hadn't overextended themselves like Crossgen comics did years later.

TSLoverUK999
05-13-2008, 04:18 PM
Iron Man kicks ass !

It was cool to see Samuel L at the end & him joining S.H.I.E.L.D. this sets up the Avengers movie rumour has it !

hwbs
05-13-2008, 05:39 PM
was def one of the better comic book movies...i put it behind 1st batman and maybe one of the spidey flicks...

TheOne1
05-13-2008, 06:15 PM

Luke Cage

Black Panther

Blade

Bishop

Storm

Nick Fury

Steel

The Green Latern

don't forget Meteor Man

Anubis1079
05-13-2008, 07:34 PM
I'm pretty sure Nick Fury has always been white. Sam Jackson's playing him is the first time he's been black. Of course my knowledge is limited to the crappy Marvel Ultimate Alliance video games

Legend
05-13-2008, 10:13 PM

Luke Cage

Black Panther

Blade

Bishop

Storm

Nick Fury

Steel

The Green Latern

don't forget Meteor Man

I don't think that was originally a comic book character.

dc_guy_75
05-14-2008, 01:02 AM
I saw the movie a few days ago, it was the best comic book adaptation I've ever seen.

It was awesome!

tsluva
05-16-2008, 02:13 AM

Luke Cage

Black Panther

Blade

Bishop

Storm

Nick Fury

Steel

The Green Latern

don't forget Meteor Man

I don't think that was originally a comic book character.

Interestingly enough, Wesley Snipes was very much considered the
front running candidate to cast in Marvel's BLACK PANTHER.
but the movie was never given the green light and of course we all
know about Snipes tax invasion problems.

Luke Cage (Power Man) is still quite on the backburner but
i don't think he would be that appealing enough to anticipate
a big box office sale. i don't think it would sell any better than
the thought of ANT-MAN. Which i think would be best served in
the AVENGERS movie than Ant-man going solo.

as many may know the mighty THOR is in the workings
and will probably the next new Marvel hero film on the way.
the Incredible HULK ( 2nd Hulk film ) will be one of the hits of
the summer, IHMO.

though GHOST RIDER hit big in 2007, i am not looking forward
to a sequel as the first one was so boring and long.
But Marvel fans tend to make Marvel films a huge success.
Only ELEKTRA and Blade: Trinity were true box office flops
with the Marvel films.

Storm movie likely isn't happening, even a possible Xmen 4 isnt even
talked about with Fox Century ( they seem determined to go with
a new all-star cast and new Xmen characters)
i think WOLVERINE the movie is due to come out in 2010.
and MAGNETO the movie is schedule to follow that.

i hope it's a black Green Lantern ( John Stewart ) rather
than original Hal Jordan in he DC comics (who is white ) in the new
JUSTICE LEAGUE movie which is due to premiere next summer.
the Justice League movie should the first DC comics produced
since Dark Knight and and maybe Superman Returns. And off that
anticipated success, characters like Green Lantern, Flash and maybe
Wonder Woman may have their own solo films.

and where's Estatic ? that good ole comic book guru should be hearing
some of this good stuff :wink:

Ecstatic
05-19-2008, 01:02 AM
and where's Estatic ? that good ole comic book guru should be hearing
some of this good stuff :wink:

Hey tsluva, here I am. Just too busy working these days to post much (then why ain't I rich?!). I like your call on John Stewart as GL in the JLA, as that's been his gig for quite a while. Of course, the original GL is Alan Scott, but the Hal Jordan reinvention of GL in 1958/9 completely remade the character (more so than the Barry Allen or Wally West remakes of the Flash) and introduced the Guardians and GL Corps. That's where Hal should be, in a GL movie featuring the Corps and the Guardians and tons of interstellar action. That could really work, and would be a fine tribute to Julie Schwartz, the DC editor who spearheaded the dawn of the Silver Age in the mid- to late-50's with Adam Strange, GL, Atom, Hawkman, et al. (Schwartz having already led a fascinating career as a literary agent, best known for selling Ray Bradbury's first short story.)

I love the Iron Man movie; my wife and I both think it's one of the 5 best superhero movies ever made, with a decent storyline, good acting (within the limits of the genre), and while it features great special effects, those effects serve the movie rather than the other way around. And the best Stan Lee cameo yet!

DonPA
05-20-2008, 12:24 AM
By far the best Marvel movie yet. I may have to go see it again. can't wait for it on Blu-Ray either.

werwt22
05-21-2008, 01:00 AM
THIS MOVIE WAS THE SHIT. The story was amazing, the graphics were unbelievable, his fucking house was unbelievable, I love the personality they gave him, and the transition of his character from beginning to the end. I could actually believe he was the real ironman if he were real.

rick_932
05-21-2008, 01:10 AM
I'm pretty sure Nick Fury has always been white. Sam Jackson's playing him is the first time he's been black. Of course my knowledge is limited to the crappy Marvel Ultimate Alliance video games

youre correct. i used to collect comics as a kid and nick fury has always been white in the regular marvel universe but i think marvel has created some new series that take place in alternate universes where nick fury may be black, at least ive heard this.

tsluva
05-21-2008, 01:27 AM

youre correct. i used to collect comics as a kid and nick fury has always been white in the regular marvel universe but i think marvel has created some new series that take place in alternate universes where nick fury may be black, at least ive heard this.

i believe that is true that Fury has alway been white in the comics
until Marvel decided to change it up.
in fact, if i'm not mistaken, David Hasselback actually starred in
a cable-television live series version of Nick Fury.

Reminds me much of a similar ethicity change up in the
Daredevil movie that featured a black kingpin, as compared to the
white kingpin in the Marvel comics.

tsluva
05-21-2008, 01:48 AM
i loved IRON MAN. usually i'm always worried about directors
handling live action films and screwing it up ( see Hulk, Elektra,
Blade: Trinity and Xmen 3)
But i thought director Jon Favreau put up an excellent blend of
action-adventure,character-development, story-plot, graphic special
effects and cybernetic illustration and a very nice pace
( not too rushed/not too slow) Someone previously listed their
favorite superhero films, here's the best on my list:
1. Spiderman
2. Xmen 2;Reunited
3. Spiderman 3
4. Xmen
5. Iron Man
6. Blade 2
7 Dark Knight
8. Spiderman 2
9. Daredevil
10. Blade
honorable mentions: Transformers, Superman 2,
Batman 1 & 2 (keaton)

werwt22
05-21-2008, 05:51 AM
They made a few of the characters black. In the cartoons. Lex Luthor and Green Lantern are black too.

Legend
05-21-2008, 07:05 AM
Has anyone seen the new incredible hulk trailer,doesn't the hulk look exactly like the one in the ang lee version only difference is that this current version has more hair.Its really bad timing that this film will follow iron man because that movie has set the bar for what marvel movies are suppose to look like and how the story is suppose to be told.I'm gonna see it but i afraid this one will bomb like the last one did.

stephenward
05-21-2008, 12:08 PM
A good, solid movie for it's genre, and a good movie period.

Since it is the franchise first, it is the story of Iron Man's origins which, though updated to reflect current events, more or less remains faithful to the original Iron Man story. Considering Stan Lee developed these stories to appeal to 10-12 yr olds, it can be challenging to develop a serviceable sreenplay. Thankfully, this is not an issue with Iron Man.

One other fortunate consequence of this film being an "origin" movie, is that the Iron Man character doesn't actually appear until about two thirds of the way through the movie. Fortunate in the sense that it leaves the screen to the actors to... act. In that regard, the cast does a fine job. Robert Downey Jr. reminds everyone what a superb actor he can be (remember that Oscar nom for Chaplain?). Gwyneth Paltrow shines as his assistant and the chemistry between the two had me wondering if this was a romantic comedy. Their dialogue is sharp and engrossing. Jeff Bridges does a nice job as Stane, though he is somewhat trapped within the confines of the character. Terrence Howard is solid as Stark's supportive but beleagured friend Jim Rhodes. A standout is Shaun Toub as Yinsen.

While the special effects/action sequences are good, the movie is really owned by Robert Downey Jr. He's a delight to watch. Go see it.

tsluva
05-21-2008, 02:21 PM
Has anyone seen the new incredible hulk trailer,doesn't the hulk look exactly like the one in the ang lee version only difference is that this current version has more hair.Its really bad timing that this film will follow iron man because that movie has set the bar for what marvel movies are suppose to look like and how the story is suppose to be told.I'm gonna see it but i afraid this one will bomb like the last one did.

Marvel Studio producer Avi Arad said that this Hulk is suppose to
have far more action than Ang Lee's first Hulk film.
The Hulk in this film is also said to be smaller, but is supposed to
be more " realistic-looking " as compared to the Shrek-looking Hulk
in the first one. And the primary villain will be the " Abomination "
in this one.
There was simple not enough Hulk-action in the first Hulk and the
they spent way too much time focusing on Banner's anger issues
and his father's past.
And apparently the studio had a problem in bringing back Eric Bana
and Jennifer Connelly and have since replaced them with
Edward Norton and Liz Tyler. i do regret Sam Elliot ( General
Thunderbolt Ross in 1st film) being replaced. i thought he was
very good as this character.

stephenward
05-21-2008, 03:44 PM
There is a lot more action in The Incredible Hulk. Louis Leterrier, best known for the Transporter films, directs and was given a mandate to pump up the action quotient.

Most of the changes to this film were made based on criticism of Ang Lee's attempt. For example, the Hulk's skin color is less Gumby green. The Hulk's size is constant at about 9 feet rather than shifting with his mood. And, yes the Hulk has a chew toy/ villian in the Abomination. Consequently, since the Hulk has someone who can actually take his punch, there is a lot more action or, as Stan Lee said, "letting the Hulk, be the Hulk". Sam Elliot is replaced with William Hurt.

Ecstatic
05-21-2008, 03:51 PM

The Nick Fury of the Marvel Ultimate Universe is black; all other Nick Fury's dating back to Nick Fury and His Howling Commandoes (ca. 1963/4) and Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. (Jim Steranko, ca. 1966-69) were white and based on a man who had been a rough-and-tumble sergeant in WWII (as Reed Richards had been a captain and Ben Grimm also a GI). Of course, that timeline no longer fits, but I never bought into the black Fury until seeing Sam Jackson in the role in Iron Man; previously there was no reason other than comics' version of affirmative action.

It IS rather confusing as Marvel plays with multiple versions of its own universe; I don't follow the titles closely enough to track it, but there appear to be three distinct versions of Marvel running at the same time, which is rather puzzling. But then it does allow the exploration of alternative takes on the characters, which I like. For instance, Reed Richards has always been rather old as a superhero, having had white streaks in his hair from the beginning when he was probably around 40 (consider him 20 in WWII, add 20 years to the early 60's, and he's 40). This, along with his unparalleled intellect, has always made him distinct from other Marvel characters. But what about a young Richards, a wunderkind who is just as brilliant, but naive and prone to making wild leaps and ill-considered blunders. Intro the Ultimate FF, where Reed at the outset is a teen, younger than most of the Marvel heroes (like the Ultimate Avengers) and only a couple of years older than Johnny, rather than 20 years his senior and 10 years Susan's senior. Different scenario, leading to some fascinating tales. Not THE Reed Richards in my mind, but a very intriguing alternate view.

Ecstatic
05-21-2008, 04:08 PM
They made a few of the characters black. In the cartoons. Lex Luthor and Green Lantern are black too.
I never followed the cartoons so I can't say for sure re: Lex Luthor, but to my knowledge in the 68 years since the character's introduction in 1940 in Action Comics 23, he has always been portrayed as white. In the cartoons, afaik, he is painted darker to reflect his evil nature, but he is not of African descent, and certainly has always been white in the comics, on TV, and in the movies.

There is no single character called Green Lantern; there are thousands (the GL Corps of the Guardians of the Universe). Earth is unique however in having five distinct Green Lanterns: Alan Scott (the original, Golden Age superhero), Hal Jordan (the Silver Age reincarnation of GL), Guy Gardner (an alternate GL), Kyle Rayner (the most recent, recast as Ion), and John Stewart (black architect, chosen by the Guardians to replace Gardner as the backup to Jordan's GL). Stewart has often played the role of GL in the JLA in Jordan's place, and that was the character chosen by the cartoon writers for the JLA.

kalina
05-21-2008, 04:49 PM
There is no single character called Green Lantern; there are thousands (the GL Corps of the Guardians of the Universe). Earth is unique however in having five distinct Green Lanterns: Alan Scott (the original, Golden Age superhero), Hal Jordan (the Silver Age reincarnation of GL), Guy Gardner (an alternate GL), Kyle Rayner (the most recent, recast as Ion), and John Stewart (black architect, chosen by the Guardians to replace Gardner as the backup to Jordan's GL). Stewart has often played the role of GL in the JLA in Jordan's place, and that was the character chosen by the cartoon writers for the JLA.

I kind of like this idea and the appeal to kids reading Green Lantern might be: "Wow! At any time, anyone can be chosen to be Green Lantern! Maybe even... me!!!" whereas with all the other characters you're basically forced to follow a single person's life and hopefully like what the writers had in mind for him/her.

I thought Kingpin being black in the new Marvel comics is kind of cool. I'm not sure if the original Kingpin was in the mafia or else he created his own mafia, but I always envisioned him being a mixed nationality... somethng exotic... like a mix of black and white.

werwt22
05-21-2008, 08:15 PM
I never followed the cartoons so I can't say for sure re: Lex Luthor, but to my knowledge in the 68 years since the character's introduction in 1940 in Action Comics 23, he has always been portrayed as white. In the cartoons, afaik, he is painted darker to reflect his evil nature, but he is not of African descent, and certainly has always been white in the comics, on TV, and in the movies.

Touche. But Lex Luthor is black in the cartoon. There's no confusing that b/c he's the same tone that all the other black people that are in the cartoon.

Your post kinda reminds me how kid flash replaced flash. Maybe I didn't read all the posts, but it's funny to me how no one made mention on Tony Stark no longer being a cripple and what they think.

Ecstatic
05-22-2008, 05:52 PM
Touche. But Lex Luthor is black in the cartoon. There's no confusing that b/c he's the same tone that all the other black people that are in the cartoon.

Your post kinda reminds me how kid flash replaced flash. Maybe I didn't read all the posts, but it's funny to me how no one made mention on Tony Stark no longer being a cripple and what they think.

According to IMDb (Internet Movie Database):

Q: Is Lex Luthor black in this series?

A: No. The creators have stated they modeled Luthor on Telly Savalas. The late Mr. Savalas, due to his Greek ancestry, had darker skin than the typical white person.

That's as definitive as it gets, imho. Lex Luthor is not and has never been black.

Kalina, I think you're right, that's a great concept. GL is one of the most powerful heroes around, but his only "real" superpowers as it were are his willpower and his fearlessness. These are the qualities that are requisite to be a Green Lantern, and the limit to a Lantern's power is his willpower.

SF fans note the inspiration underlying the GL mythos: E.E. "Doc" Smith's classic space opera, the "Lensmen" Series, where a superevolved, unimaginably ancient and preternaturally intelligent race of beings on the planet Arisia bestowed "lenses" to certain men and women as weapons of inconceivable power. Sound familiar?

tsluva
05-23-2008, 05:48 AM

According to IMDb (Internet Movie Database):

Q: Is Lex Luthor black in this series?

A: No. The creators have stated they modeled Luthor on Telly Savalas. The late Mr. Savalas, due to his Greek ancestry, had darker skin than the typical white person.

That's as definitive as it gets, imho. Lex Luthor is not and has never been black.

Kalina, I think you're right, that's a great concept. GL is one of the most powerful heroes around, but his only "real" superpowers as it were are his willpower and his fearlessness. These are the qualities that are requisite to be a Green Lantern, and the limit to a Lantern's power is his willpower.

SF fans note the inspiration underlying the GL mythos: E.E. "Doc" Smith's classic space opera, the "Lensmen" Series, where a superevolved, unimaginably ancient and preternaturally intelligent race of beings on the planet Arisia bestowed "lenses" to certain men and women as weapons of inconceivable power. Sound familiar?

i have to admit that Green Lantern character intrigues me more than
any other Justice League member in terms of having his own
superhero film. ( We already seen repeat exploits of
Superman/Dark Knight films) and it may be my bias talking
but DC comics doesn't have the as many intriguing characters and
variations as Marvel Comics do to produce action films from.
I've always loved the Green Lantern's power ring and his costume.
Though i never knew if it originated from the power cosmic or if it
was magical. More i think about it, i think the Jon Stewart character
would fit more because it wouldn't be neccessary to don a mask as
the Hal Jordan character did. And there is actually no "green lantern"
to recharge his ring of power as we never saw on Justice League toon
series. As varied and powerful as the GL's power ring is, it has
no affect on any that is the color of yellow.
And because of his various uses of the power ring, there is a lot of
imagination and creations that can go into the production of the Green
Lantern.
i'm very hopeful that the director of the new, upcoming Justice League
movie make far more full use of the Green Lanterns' powers than the
director/producers did with the Silver Surfer in the disappointingly lame
Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer.

Ecstatic
05-24-2008, 01:44 AM
The best thing about the Rise of the Silver Surfer were the flight chase scenes of the Torch pursuing the Surfer. That was like seeing Kirby on the big screen. Otherwise, the movie didn't come close to Iron Man.

GL can will power a costume, but what if he's out in public and the 24 hour charge lapses?

Personally, I'd like to see a Grant Morrison-authored Doom Patrol movie!

tsluva
05-25-2008, 01:37 AM
The best thing about the Rise of the Silver Surfer were the flight chase scenes of the Torch pursuing the Surfer. That was like seeing Kirby on the big screen. Otherwise, the movie didn't come close to Iron Man.

GL can will power a costume, but what if he's out in public and the 24 hour charge lapses?

Personally, I'd like to see a Grant Morrison-authored Doom Patrol movie!

i think the director/writers of the Justice League/Green Lantern movie
may minimize the use and detail of the Lantern re-charger.
just as the lantern re-charger is never mentioned or seen on the
Justice League toon series. i hate that it was cancelled from
Toon network. :evil:
As with Iron Man, as with Hellboy, Incredible Hulk, Xmen, Spiderman
or Fantastic Four. A movie is only as good as it's director.
Thats probably the leading differences in what makes a movie a success
.... or a failure.

just as Sam Raimi can make Spiderman a success, while
an Brett Raettner (rush Hour) can make Xmen 3: a disappointment. (despite it's box office opening weekend) Same goes for Tim Story's Fantastic Four or Ang Lee's Hulk.
I'm crossing my fingers that the future Thor, G.I. Joe, Voltron,
Justice League, Green Lantern, Captain America, Hulk, Hellboy,
Avengers, Transformers,Dragonball Z and Thundercats, etc. get in
" the good hands people ".