PDA

View Full Version : ICE CUBE: Top 5 greatest rappers of ALL TIME.

ARMANIXXX
05-12-2008, 11:48 AM
Period

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HzeZhCt5PVA

trannybanger
05-12-2008, 04:00 PM
he's great for sure. but top 5, not in this lifetime.

timxxx
05-12-2008, 04:07 PM

What he said. 8)

EyeCumInPiece
05-12-2008, 05:50 PM

agreed!

ARMANIXXX
05-12-2008, 06:16 PM

timxxx said

What he said. Cool

Did you 2 even watch the video?

Cause if you did then you know there are no more than a small select few that are doin what Cube is doing.

And to compound that, he's been doin it for OVER 20 years now.

Lastly, Cube/NWA, gangsta was practically invented by him/them.

You'd be hard pressed to find anybody in hip hop with a longer, more compelling, more suggestive, or more historic resume than Ice Cube.

Show me any rapper that's been the target of the FBI and Secret Service.
Show me any rapper that's been labled as THE MOST DANGEROUS GROUP IN AMERICA.

If Ice Cube ain't a top 5, then Hip Hop is dead for real.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_Cube

hwbs
05-12-2008, 07:39 PM
west coast rappers never get the real respect they deserve...hes done pretty well in the tv/movie game also..

trannybanger
05-12-2008, 07:42 PM

yeah, i watched the video. it's alright, but it's not some powerful groundbreaking work.

Cause if you did then you know there are no more than a small select few that are doin what Cube is doing.

yeah. "Are We There Yet?" was awesome.

practically, if you don't remember ice-t or schooly d

You'd be hard pressed to find anybody in hip hop with a longer, more compelling, more suggestive, or more historic resume than Ice Cube.

he has been producing the same stuff for about 20 years. somewhat like a one trick pony. staying power yes, compelling that is not.

these sound bites developed by a record label pr team are now considered accomplishments?

nas said it first

trannybanger
05-12-2008, 07:43 PM
double post

ARMANIXXX
05-12-2008, 08:09 PM

yeah, i watched the video. it's alright, but it's not some powerful groundbreaking work.

yeah. "Are We There Yet?" was awesome.

practically, if you don't remember ice-t or schooly d

he has been producing the same stuff for about 20 years. somewhat like a one trick pony. staying power yes, compelling that is not.

these sound bites developed by a record label pr team are now considered accomplishments?

nas said it first

__________________________________________________ ___________________

It seems like you still ridin on west coast animosity.

Both the song AND video are powerful

And what do you mean by PR.....are you tryin to say the FBI incindent never happened? Is that what you're saying?

Nas did say that......He's also in the top 5

That's cool if you wanna deny a walking legend his due........I guess.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jM4f45DC3Rk

hwbs
05-12-2008, 09:46 PM
people are weird when it comes to hip hop....tupac only sold like 4 million copies alive but then sold 30 million off off rehashed songs from his recycle bin after he was murdered...

Alyssa87
05-12-2008, 10:06 PM
i like em

trannybanger
05-12-2008, 10:20 PM

And what do you mean by PR.....are you tryin to say the FBI incindent never happened? Is that what you're saying?

ok, for real, i grew up on the west coast, and i can appreciate what ice cube has brought to the table, but it is what it is. that song is ok, the lyrics are good but typical cube. the music isn't anything special and he is not known for creating anything special. i have friends that make videos and i have seen a lot of the behind the scenes shit that goes into it. i can tell you, that video was cheaply done, not and original idea, and it is basically just there as a 40 year old guy who is trying like hell to keep street cred. no disrespect for the man, but that is reality.

my comment regarding someone being a fbi target being an accomplishment, i feel like that just basically is evidence of where someone's head is at. for me that is almost as brilliant as getting shot and having that up your level of integrity.

so, if ice cube is a legend and nas is top 5 as well. it seems like your top five is a little one dimensional.

timxxx
05-12-2008, 10:35 PM

timxxx said

What he said. Cool

Did watch the video but it would had made no difference,if l watched it or not.

The statement that Ice Cube is one of the five greatest rappers of all time.Is just WRONG.Must be a some kind of joke.

If you had said Ice Cube is "one of the 5 greatest rappers,who directs modestly funny comedies" of all time.Then l would have
agreed.

I a fan of Ice Cube got some of his cd's,he is a good rapper,good actor(in Boyz n the Hood,anyway) & an o.k director.

ARMANIXXX
05-12-2008, 10:37 PM

ok, for real, i grew up on the west coast, and i can appreciate what ice cube has brought to the table, but it is what it is. that song is ok, the lyrics are good but typical cube. the music isn't anything special and he is not known for creating anything special. i have friends that make videos and i have seen a lot of the behind the scenes shit that goes into it. i can tell you, that video was cheaply done, not and original idea, and it is basically just there as a 40 year old guy who is trying like hell to keep street cred. no disrespect for the man, but that is reality.

my comment regarding someone being a fbi target being an accomplishment, i feel like that just basically is evidence of where someone's head is at. for me that is almost as brilliant as getting shot and having that up your level of integrity.

so, if ice cube is a legend and nas is top 5 as well. it seems like your top five is a little one dimensional.

__________________________________________________ ________________________

You just lost any credibility you were gonna claim that you had, brah.

trannybanger
05-12-2008, 10:46 PM

credibility in the eyes of the guy that believes ice cube is one of the top five rappers of all time?

you have a right to your opinion and you obviously think cube is the shit, but please enlighten me as to what about ice cube's music is he known for in terms of creating something unique and special?

ottorocket
05-12-2008, 10:46 PM
Its hard to believe Cubes all hard again after being such a Hollywood sell out. But I still like his rap..he's in my top 10 rap list

ARMANIXXX
05-12-2008, 10:58 PM

credibility in the eyes of the guy that believes ice cube is one of the top five rappers of all time?

you have a right to your opinion and you obviously think cube is the shit, but please enlighten me as to what about ice cube's music is he known for in terms of creating something unique and special?

__________________________________________________ ___________________

Cube, in my opinion, doesn't need to write not even one more track after FUCK THE POLICE to be considered legendary.

You shoulda copped his last album, but since you didn't I'll give you the opportunity to catch what I thought was his most vicious track on that album.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zfZ9JVoG1gs

partlycloudy
05-12-2008, 11:37 PM
just out of curiosity, who are the other 4 in your top 5 armanixxx?

santiago316
05-13-2008, 01:02 AM
Period

Now thats what I'm talking about! Thanks ARMANIXXX for putting this up, I was so damn sick of crappy "rappers" like Soulja Boy and Lil Wayne.

bassman2546
05-13-2008, 02:00 AM
Is this category even worth having a ranking system?

unctrld1
05-13-2008, 02:53 AM
Ice Cube . . . Top 5? Absolutely.

I refer the doubters to his verse on "Parental Discretion's Advised" on the Straight Outta Compton album. Lyrical genius.

Note, he wrote most of the classic album "Eazy Duz It", Eazy-E's first album.

I have always seen him as the West Coast lyrical equivalent of Big Daddy Kane.

His work from the eighties is . . . . Damn.

Yeah, I am an "Old Head" and proud of it.

andyuk
05-13-2008, 03:08 AM
never seen the point of rap music.
mind i did like salt and pepa :)

ARMANIXXX
05-13-2008, 04:12 AM

You English partna.

Go drink some tea.....

This ain't for you.

blckhaze
05-13-2008, 04:39 AM
good? yes
top 5, dunno

maybe i like the old school stuff more
1 Tupac (although as I think Hollywood said most of his success came after he got killed)
2 Nas/jayz (too close to call, but Jay may get the edge with longevity)
4) Biggie Small (greatest story ever)
5) KRS-one (homer pick i know)
6) Run DMC
7) Dr Dre (he carried NWA both lyrically and producing)
8)Eminem (maybe shoul dbe higher, but hes disappeared so hes lost a few slots)
9) Snoop dogg (although hes recent stuff is more pop than rap, he killed the east coast rap scene for a long time)
10) Wu tang (yes all of them. yes ALL of them)

ARMANIXXX
05-13-2008, 05:07 AM
good? yes
top 5, dunno

1 Tupac (although as I think Hollywood said most of his success came after he got killed)
6) Run DMC
9) Snoop dogg (although hes recent stuff is more pop than rap, he killed the east coast rap scene for a long time)

Ok..

I think I really see the problem here........the disconnect.

Apparently, as we all know the story, when West Coast Hip Hop was tryin to pave its way, East Coast heads were doin there damnest, perhaps unintentionally......perhaps not though, to avoid West coast hip hop. BlackHaze, your comment here is a testament to what I'm saying.

Everybody and they momma knows, Dre was in charge of most of NWA's music......the MUSIC.

Ice cube carried the burden of most of the lyrics.

I know you must be a hip hop head of some sort.....but apparently not of West Coast hip hop because that's very basic. And I'm not tryin to clown...I'm sayin whats crackin, and why the first few dudes weren't feelin what I'm sayin (because of east coast time time).

To everyone else, this is why there was and East vs. West in the mid 90's.

I now stand even stronger on my original sentiment:

ICE CUBE IS THE TOP 5 GREATEST RAPPERS OF ALL TIME........PERIOD.

ShadowMaster
05-13-2008, 05:14 AM
Dr. Dre shouldn't be on the top 10 list for rapping. Dre didn't write his own rhymes. Top 5 for producing no doubt. But rapping, no way! His ghostwriters include D.O.C., Ice Cube, Eminem, Jay-Z, and Royce da 5'9". Superior lyricists held him down. The Chronic was basically a compilation, what song did he stand alone or out shine his guests.

Cube should be considered for Top 5 for his first four albums. However deciding this is truly opinion based.

Other candidates for this honor include: Big Daddy Kane, Chuck D, KRS-One, Rakim, Kool G Rap, Nas, 2Pac, Biggie, Scarface

You need to measure skill, influence, and output (quality of albums overall)
All my aforementioned candidates have been no slouches. My first four are undeniable.

ARMANIXXX
05-13-2008, 05:25 AM
Dr. Dre shouldn't be on the top 10 list for rapping. Dre didn't write his own rhymes. Top 5 for producing no doubt. But rapping, no way! His ghostwriters include D.O.C., Ice Cube, Eminem, Jay-Z, and Royce da 5'9". Superior lyricists held him down. The Chronic was basically a compilation, what song did he stand alone or out shine his guests.

Cube should be considered for Top 5 for his first four albums. However deciding this is truly opinion based.

Other candidates for this honor include: Big Daddy Kane, Chuck D, KRS-One, Rakim, Kool G Rap, Nas, 2Pac, Biggie, Scarface

All my aforementioned candidates have been no slouches. My first four are undeniable.

You sir have my sincere respect.

real talk.

santiago316
05-13-2008, 05:31 AM

I do agree about Scarface, the man is very underrated...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=L0Vk0EL-r8g
http://youtube.com/watch?v=IbQEI4Wt70w
http://youtube.com/watch?v=AGUhu5BUOKg

Nowhere
05-13-2008, 05:33 AM
Look, i'm the last person in the world to say "it was better back then..." but seriously, what has happened to the new visionaries? It's like the only ones with original mind-blowing ideas came out in the 80s and 90s.

I mean, i'm not claiming to be an expert here, but I keep on hearing new things and the quality keeps on going lower and lower by every new name that comes out. I mean, lyrics from guys like MIMS and Soulja Boy could be written by a five year old!

Someone tell me that i'm wrong, because hip-hop will die a slow death without talented new kids surfacing...

ARMANIXXX
05-13-2008, 05:37 AM
And interestingly ShadowMaster, who's from the south, who, some of which, patterned their style from West Coast style, he knows what East Coasters do not....the basics of West.

I'm just sayin......

Even to this day, East coast heads continue to disprespect West Coast based rap.

It is interesting, if nothing else.

ARMANIXXX
05-13-2008, 05:38 AM
Look, i'm the last person in the world to say "it was better back then..." but seriously, what has happened to the new visionaries? It's like the only ones with original mind-blowing ideas came out in the 80s and 90s.

I mean, i'm not claiming to be an expert here, but I keep on hearing new things and the quality keeps on going lower and lower by every new name that comes out. I mean, lyrics from guys like MIMS and Soulja Boy could be written by a five year old!

Someone tell me that i'm wrong, because hip-hop will die a slow death without talented new kids surfacing...

Alot of cats are disgusted.

I guess that's why Cube and his peers refuse to retire.

santiago316
05-13-2008, 05:42 AM

Unfortunately you are not wrong Nowhere. Guys like Wayne and Soulja Boy are killing the rap game and its very unfortunate.

santiago316
05-13-2008, 05:48 AM

Well thank god for guys like Cube otherwise we would still have to listen to this Hip-Pop crap.

ARMANIXXX
05-13-2008, 05:55 AM

Well thank god for guys like Cube otherwise we would still have to listen to this Hip-Pop crap.

You my Yay Area partna

ShadowMaster
05-13-2008, 06:14 AM
Is mainstream rap dying? Yes. Why? Corporate control.

If you can manipulate the airwaves then you can control what people will have access too. They've gotten to the point where they'll settle for a hot single instead of a complete album. A lot rappers aren't getting real serious record deals from record labels. If they can't make a hot single then the relationship is over. Artist who operate like that won't last because the internet allows you to hear an album before you buy. You're not fooling anybody. Where is Hurricane Chris, or Huey? Nowhere, they lack any sort of depth. A dance hit will only carry you so far. If the mainstream continues to operate like this then it will fold. However will not die as long as people who love it seek out good artists. I mean GZA is still dropping heat. You have new guys like Blu & Exile. Cunninlynguists is reminiscent of Goodie Mob, Nappy Roots, and Little Brother. I think when less money gets pumped in then the pure profiteers will leave and find a new hustle because they never really loved Hip-Hop like that to begin with. Quality is here, you just have to look beneath the surface.

ARMANIXXX
05-13-2008, 06:14 AM
I also agree Scarface is VERY underacted,

I'd put him in my top 10, on general principle.

blckhaze
05-13-2008, 06:27 AM
good? yes
top 5, dunno

6) Run DMC

Ok..

Apparently, as we all know the story, when West Coast Hip Hop was tryin to pave its way, East Coast heads were doin there damnest, perhaps unintentionally......perhaps not though, to avoid West coast hip hop. BlackHaze, your comment here is a testament to what I'm saying.

Everybody and they momma knows, Dre was in charge of most of NWA's music......the MUSIC.

I know you must be a hip hop head of some sort.....but apparently not of West Coast hip hop because that's very basic. And I'm not tryin to clown...I'm sayin whats crackin, and why the first few dudes weren't feelin what I'm sayin (because of east coast time time).

I can not under any good conscience put ice in my top 10 let alone top five. Dre AND Eazy E were both better than Cube. and in his most recent musical group he was still behind Mac 10 AND Warren G. you cant be the third best member in a group and be in a top ten.

santiago316
05-13-2008, 06:31 AM

You my Yay Area partna

Yeah man I'm in the South Bay, lived here all my life.

ShadowMaster
05-13-2008, 06:34 AM
good? yes
top 5, dunno

6) Run DMC

Ok..

I can not under any good conscience put ice in my top 10 let alone top five. Dre AND Eazy E were both better than Cube. and in his most recent musical group he was still behind Mac 10 AND Warren G. you cant be the third best member in a group and be in a top ten.

B, are you serious!?! Dre didn't write his own rhymes. By default he can't be in the top 5 or 10 for rapping. Cube wrote Eazy and Dre's rhymes. And if you're talking about Westside Connection then you mean WC not Warren G.

Dre's ghostwriters include: D.O.C., Ice Cube, Eminem, Royce da 5'9", Jay-Z

You can't be on top with somebody else's words coming out of your mouth. Number 2 lyrically in NWA was MC Ren.

I concur, Scarface is the TRUTH on the mic!

hungone
05-13-2008, 06:35 AM
Obviously you haven't heard I Ain't the One. True true classic.

blckhaze
05-13-2008, 06:35 AM
on a side note, ANYONE brings up ANY southern Rapper into this covo deserves to be slapped 1000 times. Southern style rap (and to a lesser extent mid west/chi-town rap) KILLED HIP HOP. They deserve their bread like anyone, but none of them, repeat NONE OF THEM, can hold a candle to any of the true legends of hip hop.

blckhaze
05-13-2008, 06:38 AM
LOL @ the old lingo.
I havent heard B in a LONG time.
Id put dre on my list long before Cube. If it was WC then cube is second to mac, WC is....ga'bage, but i still stand by my argument than he cant be second best and be top ten.

ARMANIXXX
05-13-2008, 06:38 AM
good? yes
top 5, dunno

6) Run DMC

Ok..

But you're not listenin to me blood.

Easy E was primarily the front man, and early on, the financier of the group cause he was slang'in hard.

Dre was a musician, who was already with an R&B group.

Ice cube was the primary writer of NWA.

All that FBI shit,

That was because of Cube. When Cube left, NWA was never the same after.

blckhaze
05-13-2008, 06:46 AM
ArmaniXXX, there is a LONG, distinguished list b4 Cube. He was good in his day, but you can easily name 5 guys from that era alone better than him. I left off Chuck D, MC shan, LL cool j (before the muscles) Canibus (b4 his anal rape by LL cool J), Talib Kwali, Mos Def, Common, Kool moe D, BIG PUN. Cube is behind all of them. Even Lauryn Hill, a WOMAN, is lyrically more gifted than Cube. Cmon :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

ShadowMaster
05-13-2008, 06:46 AM
on a side note, ANYONE brings up ANY southern Rapper into this covo deserves to be slapped 1000 times. Southern style rap (and to a lesser extent mid west/chi-town rap) KILLED HIP HOP. They deserve their bread like anyone, but none of them, repeat NONE OF THEM, can hold a candle to any of the true legends of hip hop.

B, your bias is astounding! Are you saying Outkast, Geto Boys, Little Brother, and Goodie Mob have contributed nothing to Hip-Hop? BS manne! D.O.C. (from DFW) drew comparisons to Rakim even if he repped the West. Expand your mind. The world doesn't begin and end on the East Coast. Hell one of NY's top producers is from the South, DJ Premier, straight out of TEXAS! Does Dipset rep all of NY?

blckhaze
05-13-2008, 06:53 AM

B, your bias is astounding! Are you saying Outkast, Geto Boys, Little Brother, and Goodie Mob have contributed nothing to Hip-Hop? BS manne! D.O.C. (from DFW) drew comparisons to Rakim even if he repped the West. Expand your mind. The world doesn't begin and end on the East Coast. Hell one of NY's top producers is from the South, DJ Premier, straight out of TEXAS! Does Dipset rep all of NY?

Outkast is OK, not great, but ok in my book. The rest can stay on the shelf. I gave props to the West. Tupac, Snoop and crew KILLED the east coast till Osama blew Up the Twin towers, but the South has hurt Hip Hop CONSIDERABLY. Most of that stuff sounds like it was made in a basement with someones mama yelling in the background. I may be in love with the old school, rhyme the whole verse and still make a message rap, but I cant possible expand my horizons to listen to shit like Soulja boy, Lil mama (who repps BK) and the like.

AND STOP CALLING ME B!!
lol

ShadowMaster
05-13-2008, 07:00 AM
ArmaniXXX, there is a LONG, distinguished list b4 Cube. He was good in his day, but you can easily name 5 guys from that era alone better than him. I left off Chuck D, MC shan, LL cool j (before the muscles) Canibus (b4 his anal rape by LL cool J), Talib Kwali, Mos Def, Common, Kool moe D, BIG PUN. Cube is behind all of them. Even Lauryn Hill, a WOMAN, is lyrically more gifted than Cube. Cmon :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

I still say you have too measure skill, influence, and output. Cube is on point in all three categories.

Amerikkka's Most Wanted (classic)
Death Certificate (classic)
The Predator (great album)

Three heaters in a row. NWA changed the way folks rapped. Cube was the primary lyricists from which all rhymes were derived in the group so that alone makes influence significant.

Pun wasn't around long enough and didn't break the mold despite his immense skill. Common has never slipped but he still lacks the influence. Mos Def output is lagging. Can't rest on Black on Both Sides forever. Lauryn one heater! Love Canibus, but his output is shaky. Talib Kweli might be competition. Shan, simply no. I feel Cube influence was greater than LL's. Kool Moe didn't survive after LL served him. I concur Chuck D should be in the top 5 cause he satisfied all 3 criteria.

ShadowMaster
05-13-2008, 07:01 AM

I still say you have too measure skill, influence, and output. Cube is on point in all three categories.

Amerikkka's Most Wanted (classic)
Death Certificate (classic)
The Predator (great album)

Three heaters in a row. NWA changed the way folks rapped. Cube was the primary lyricists from which all rhymes were derived in the group so that alone makes influence significant.

Pun wasn't around long enough and didn't break the mold despite his immense skill. Common has never slipped but he still lacks the influence. Mos Def output is lagging. Can't rest on Black on Both Sides forever. Lauryn one heater! Love Canibus, but his output is shaky. Talib Kweli might be competition. Shan, simply no. I feel Cube influence was greater than LL's. Kool Moe didn't survive after LL served him. I concur Chuck D should be in the top 5 cause he satisfied all 3 criteria.

ARMANIXXX
05-13-2008, 07:09 AM
I just text about 7 or 8 of my folks about Cubes single,

5 of em responded, and said this track is dope.

Apparently, West Coast is respected by those who respect West Coast.

But I thought we were over that by now.............

I guess not.

blckhaze
05-13-2008, 07:13 AM
OMG Lauryn one hitter? I almost blew a blood vessel on that one. She has dudes BEGGING to come back. She CARRIED the fuggees and put them on the map with her singing AND rapping. And if your gonna knock a dude out for output, you gotta classify it, cause tupac has like 50 albums put out after he died. Cube is in the Convo for top 25, but not top 10 nor top 5, in any catergory that you can name resulting from Hip hop, other than kids movies

ShadowMaster
05-13-2008, 07:17 AM

Outkast is OK, not great, but ok in my book. The rest can stay on the shelf. I gave props to the West. Tupac, Snoop and crew KILLED the east coast till Osama blew Up the Twin towers, but the South has hurt Hip Hop CONSIDERABLY. Most of that stuff sounds like it was made in a basement with someones mama yelling in the background. I may be in love with the old school, rhyme the whole verse and still make a message rap, but I cant possible expand my horizons to listen to shit like Soulja boy, Lil mama (who repps BK) and the like.

AND STOP CALLING ME B!!
lol

I'm not asking you to like Souljaboy (hell I don't), but I am saying don't lump everybody in. Outkast is GREAT but you're entitled to your opinion. There are wide variety of rappers out there even in the South. The East ignored an entire region that outnumbered them and it created its own rappers. Some rappers received more shine than they should have because they repped the South. However the decrease in quality has to do with corporate slugs who ride the latest trend. They snatched up "any" southern rapper they could get their claws into and tried to have the same success. They started to suffer diminishing return. Same thing can be seen movie with the superhero movies coming out. Blade blew up then all the studios started fighting over comic property. Some will be good but a lot won't because they won't real time into development. Shop Boys, Hurricane Chris, Huey, and Rich Boy, what kind of numbers did they do ultimately? Will we see second album, doubtful? If you have nothing whatsoever to offer you will die off as you should. The real Southern pioneers continue to have fans till this day. Everybody and they mama can't rap!

ARMANIXXX
05-13-2008, 07:26 AM
OMG Lauryn one hitter? I almost blew a blood vessel on that one. She has dudes BEGGING to come back. She CARRIED the fuggees and put them on the map with her singing AND rapping. And if your gonna knock a dude out for output, you gotta classify it, cause tupac has like 50 albums put out after he died. Cube is in the Convo for top 25, but not top 10 nor top 5, in any catergory that you can name resulting from Hip hop, other than kids movies

Ice cube is a hip hop pioneer and has shaped much of what is is.

If you wanna continue to deny that......

Thats on you.

ShadowMaster
05-13-2008, 07:26 AM

Miseducation was a classic album but it was her only album unless you want to count Unplugged. Fugees The Score, great album, what followed? I think Jean Grae could serve her if it was straight rapping. I only count 'Pac's five. 2Pacalypse to Makaveli. Everything after that capitalism and without his consent or input. I don't count Born Again for Biggie or Big Picture for Big L. On output I classify what you did in life not your throwaways that somebody finds and exploits later.

What would your top 10 look like?

ARMANIXXX
05-13-2008, 02:40 PM
fuck ice cube, gangster rap is bullshit and negative. ice cube is garbage to me but that just my opinion and i am not telling anyone who to like or not.

__________________________________________________ _____________

Did you listen to the track?

ARMANIXXX
05-13-2008, 06:58 PM
I'm raw as a dirty needle,
choke a eagle, just to feed all my people

All yall tryin to pretend this track isn't cerebral fire.....you're lyin.

ed_jaxon
05-13-2008, 07:37 PM
One thing I don't think that has been brought up is that most of these guys mentioned started out in groups.....groups that changed the face of music forever.

For what its worth, very few had the social impact as a solo artist that they did as a group. They were bigger commercially but had negligible effect on changing how we think.

Was Cube bigger than NWA?
Chuck D. bigger than PE?

Pac was an exception but he was by far the most talented of the bunch and even he started out with Digital Underground.

Greed has made Hip Hop what it is today.

blckhaze
05-13-2008, 08:21 PM
that is tru ed.
although chuck carried PE IMO. Flava flav = the best hype man ever.

ARMANIXXX
05-13-2008, 08:59 PM
I keep it gangsta,
And why should I change that.
Fuck you old muthafucka's tryin to change rap.

But ain't you the same cat,
that sat back, when they brought cocaine back.

Best track of 2008 so far.

trannybanger
05-13-2008, 09:18 PM
Remember me from way back in the days
Lived right around the corner from Benjamin Mays
I'm amazed that we made it this far
A po black family is all that we are
Wishing upon a star
For a trace of happiness
My mama do her best but she ain't making no progresss
Maybe it's a test that we all gotta pass
My situations making me grow too fast
13 and a half years old standing at the bus stop
Alone in the cold on my way to be degraded
For a fee to help get my family off this streeet called Sesame

now that is powerful.

ARMANIXXX
05-13-2008, 09:32 PM
There's nothin wrong with Goodie Mob.

That doesn't stop Cube from bein among the greatest top 5.

And that doesn't stop his new song from being the best of 2008 so far.

You can hate all you like,

I got enough confirmation already.

trannybanger
05-13-2008, 09:38 PM
its not hatin bro, cube is good, just not good enough. i think we are all curious to know the rest of your top 5 though...

ARMANIXXX
05-13-2008, 10:09 PM
Nas, Ice Cube, Rakim, Pac, and Big.

No particular order.

trannybanger
05-13-2008, 11:52 PM
Nas, Ice Cube, Rakim, Pac, and Big.

No particular order.

we may not agree on cube, but we've got a lot in common

andyuk
05-13-2008, 11:52 PM

You English partna.

Go drink some tea.....

This ain't for you.

the english charts got overrun with rap in the 80s,thankfully it all seems to have disappeared now, :)

brickcitybrother
05-14-2008, 02:31 AM
I didn't read all the posts.

My opinion - You just may be right.

Thanks

ARMANIXXX
05-14-2008, 11:38 AM
I didn't read all the posts.

My opinion - You just may be right.

Thanks

It's good to see that not everybody here has unreasonable taste.

:wink:

Tomfurbs
05-14-2008, 12:56 PM
De LA Soul

Quinn
05-14-2008, 03:27 PM
I can't believe that no one has mentioned Vanilla Ice in their top 5:

http://www.burningman.com/environment/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/vanilla_ice.jpg

-Quinn

timxxx
05-14-2008, 08:32 PM
Best rappers(my favorite anyway) in no particluar order.

Tupac
Notorious BIG
Jay-z
KRS One
NaS
Big L
Ghostface Killah
Common
Mos Def

ARMANIXXX
05-14-2008, 09:03 PM

Tupac
Notorious BIG
Jay-z
KRS One
NaS
Big L
Ghostface Killah
Common
Mos Def

__________________________________________________ ____________

You got 9 here.....who's your 10th?

And in my opinion, Common is very good, but he has a couple flaws. 1, I don't have a problem with love songs, if he's feelin he wants to put 1 in here and there, cool. But he's got about 3 or 4 in his last album, and it does make him a little soft, imo.

Secondly, his last album, which I did just pick up last Thursday, it wasn't super good.....it was ok.

I'd probably put him in the top 25 just because his spit is good, but he seems to fall short on the top 10.

chefmike
05-15-2008, 04:13 AM
I can't believe that no one has mentioned Vanilla Ice in their top 5:

http://www.burningman.com/environment/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/vanilla_ice.jpg

-Quinn

I thought that it was common knowledge that Vanilla Ice invented the rap genre, only to have his groundbreaking music ripped off by a bunch of black thugs.

Right?

EyeCumInPiece
05-15-2008, 08:41 AM

Tupac
Notorious BIG
Jay-z
KRS One
NaS
Big L
Ghostface Killah
Common
Mos Def

__________________________________________________ ____________

You got 9 here.....who's your 10th?

And in my opinion, Common is very good, but he has a couple flaws. 1, I don't have a problem with love songs, if he's feelin he wants to put 1 in here and there, cool. But he's got about 3 or 4 in his last album, and it does make him a little soft, imo.

Secondly, his last album, which I did just pick up last Thursday, it wasn't super good.....it was ok.

I'd probably put him in the top 25 just because his spit is good, but he seems to fall short on the top 10.

Im not the biggest Common fan in the world but i think he got the best of cube with "the bitch in you."

Furthermore, When you say Ice Cube is top 5 do you mean Whos had the biggest career? Or who can rap better, spit the sickest lyrics.

There is no doubt that ice cube is a legend and has achieved more than most, but making movies and selling records doesnt make you the best. Lyrically, Ice Cube cannot fuck with Eminem, Nas, the GZA, Canibus, BIG, Pun, Common, Kurupt, Pac, Cormega, ect. And that is the truth.

timxxx
05-15-2008, 02:37 PM
EyeCumInPiece more or less sums up what l feel about Ice Cube,in career terms no one can fault him,he has craved out a good career for himself.
But as a straight up rapper,he is no were near my top 5.Too me he's like Larry Homes,a great Champion,underrated maybe but all time great ? No.

You have succeeded in making me go back & listening to some of my old Ice Cube albums. And l must admit l had forgotten just how good the first 3 albums are. :oops:

P.S
I wasn't trying to make a top 10 but if l had to add one more then it would be Chuck D because P.E made my favorite Rap album "It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back"

MonsieurValentine
05-15-2008, 08:04 PM
If he is not top 5 rapper, then he is most definitely a top 5 pioneer in hip-hop. You can hate on him for doing movies, but being the rapper he was and having the success he had, led him down that path. Cube is the shit. Everything mother-fucker out there was banging to 'Straight Outta Compton' in 1991. Don't lie. Just like every mother-fucker used to bang to Michael Jackson, pre-boys.

ARMANIXXX
05-16-2008, 07:15 AM
If he is not top 5 rapper, then he is most definitely a top 5 pioneer in hip-hop. You can hate on him for doing movies, but being the rapper he was and having the success he had, led him down that path. Cube is the shit. Everything mother-fucker out there was banging to 'Straight Outta Compton' in 1991. Don't lie. Just like every mother-fucker used to bang to Michael Jackson, pre-boys.

East Coasters hate West Coasters, even to this day.

hwbs
05-16-2008, 07:33 AM
its an easzy e christmas every year 4 this right coaster :)

ARMANIXXX
05-16-2008, 11:50 AM
its an easzy e christmas every year 4 this right coaster :)

lol

I haven't heard that in a LONG ass time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQWLrnzhCWQ

peggygee
05-17-2008, 07:45 AM
Mine in no paricular order:

For the dome:

Chuck D. and Public Enemy
Tupac
Common
Kanye West
Mos Def
KRS One
The Roots
Talib Kweli

To shake your ass, and sometimes
they might make you think:

Jay Z
LL
Big Pun
Eve
Fat Joe
Outkast
Queen Latifah
Salt-n-Peppa
Run DMC
Missy Elliot

NWA was a very important influence to rap and Black culture in
general, and Cube definitely has skillz with making the paper, but
sorry boo I can't quite see him as one of the top 5 rappers of all
time.

orlguyq
05-17-2008, 05:15 PM
ghostface
nas
common
biggie
jay z

sucka4chix
05-17-2008, 06:47 PM
PIONEER!!!??? WTF?? Cube didn't pioneer anything! At the most you MIGHT give NWA a pioneering nod, but not Cube by himself. To be a pioneer you need to be FIRST! Run-DMC, Ice-T, Pac, Outkast and even MC Hammer were pioneers because they boldly went where no man had gone before! And Will Smith was the first and (best) to go from rap to tv/movies. So just what did Cube start or do before anyone else? That's a pioneer!!!

ARMANIXXX
05-17-2008, 07:00 PM

For the dome:

Tupac
Common
Kanye West
Mos Def
KRS One
The Roots
Talib Kweli

Jay Z
LL
Big Pun
Eve
Fat Joe
Outkast
Queen Latifah
Salt-n-Peppa
Run DMC
Missy Elliot

time.

EAST COAST BIAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

HATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111

lol

sucka4chix
05-17-2008, 07:57 PM
East coast bias in rap is equivalent to Brazilian bias in the transsexual world.

tyrone biggums
05-18-2008, 12:17 AM
he's in the top 10 no doubt
i can't find a rapper in mind who wasn't influenced my him.
i also think he'll come correct on his new album "Raw Footage"

Solitary Brother
05-18-2008, 02:09 AM
MY TOP 5
1.Rakim
2.Krs-1
3.LL Cool j
4.Biggie Smalls
5.Jay-Z

sucka4chix
05-18-2008, 03:44 AM
MY TOP 5
1.Rakim
2.Krs-1
3.LL Cool j
4.Biggie Smalls
5.Jay-Z
It seems everyone can agree on Rakim and I don't have a real problem with this list. I just have always wondered 2 things: (1) How can anyone having such a small body of work as Biggie be considered the best,and (2) What the hell makes Jay-Z special? I know his sales are incredible, but I see that as a sign of his audience, not his talent. After all, Jay was around during the original old school--- how come he couldn't make a mark until everyone else had played out. I don't claim to listen to alot of Jay-Z, but most of his radio shit was garbage! He wasn't talkin' 'bout nothing, the rhymes were forced, lyrics forced together just to rhyme and he wrote the absolute WORST metaphors and similes (rap handle like Van Exel makes me cringe!)

peggygee
05-18-2008, 04:38 AM
. I just have always wondered 2 things: (1) How can anyone having such a small body of work as Biggie be considered the best,

I've always wondered the same about Biggie.

blckhaze
05-18-2008, 05:22 AM
. I just have always wondered 2 things: (1) How can anyone having such a small body of work as Biggie be considered the best,

Well, i dont know if my answer will help, but i thought that during the easst v west battle. He was at the forefront of rappers, and the only one who lyrically could rival tupac, both written and freestyle. Biggies "Life After Death" Cds were two stories. It was like listening to one of those stories on tape.
For me at least, of his era, he's only rivaled By Tupac and if they both werent killed, Theyd have made more classic albums. ill alway put Pac over Big because of lack of content, but substance makes up for it.

peggygee
05-18-2008, 07:52 PM

Well, i dont know if my answer will help, but i thought that during the easst v west battle. He was at the forefront of rappers, and the only one who lyrically could rival tupac, both written and freestyle. Biggies "Life After Death" Cds were two stories. It was like listening to one of those stories on tape.
For me at least, of his era, he's only rivaled By Tupac and if they both werent killed, Theyd have made more classic albums. ill alway put Pac over Big because of lack of content, but substance makes up for it.

I can see that point, and I can see his potential to have gone on do
great work.

Yet when I look at the body of work that Pac had at the time, and has had
released since his death, when I see him in the many movies that he
starred in, then Biggie pales in comparision.

santiago316
05-18-2008, 11:34 PM
Here's another song thats going to be on his new album. "It takes a nation"
http://youtube.com/watch?v=1yH8QiQtvOs

And here's "Gangsta rap made me do it" with Scarface and Nas doing their verse.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ts7dBkoIkKU

ARMANIXXX
05-18-2008, 11:56 PM
Here's another song thats going to be on his new album. "It takes a nation"
http://youtube.com/watch?v=1yH8QiQtvOs

And here's "Gangsta rap made me do it" with Scarface and Nas doing their verse.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ts7dBkoIkKU

Hell to the yeah.....

right on santiago316

blckhaze
05-19-2008, 12:10 AM

I can see that point, and I can see his potential to have gone on do
great work.

Yet when I look at the body of work that Pac had at the time, and has had
released since his death, when I see him in the many movies that he
starred in, then Biggie pales in comparision.

like i said, pac b4 biggie. You have Pun on your list, and he had less content than Bigg, and still made an impact. Quality over quantity. I was never a fan of the stuff death row put out after he was dead cause it seemed too produced and manipulated. It was OK, but not what i was used to. Plus it was just weird to have like 5-10 albums and they guys not alive.

TomSelis
05-19-2008, 01:13 AM
I could see him in the top ten, but the top five might be stretching it. I look at him as riding the bleeding edge between gangsta rap and socially conscious rap. From Amerikkka's most wanted to The Predator he was the shit.

Honorable Mention: The Streets
http://youtube.com/watch?v=upraJDHBgt4
A fellow Brummie puts it down.

My top ten (alive or dead)

10) Big L- Just listen to Ebonics
http://youtube.com/watch?v=G9VjmK7_b9Q

9) Mr. Scarface- No Comment
http://youtube.com/watch?v=P0BPZvRjy5c

8) Jay-Z- He blended a lot of styles of the top five, that's what made him so successful, he's not in the top five, but he has his moments.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=hxQqlWwAxiA

7) The GZA- I always love clever wordplay.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=TxUGavwYvHQ

6) Styles P- This guy actually makes me want to go out and commit a crime.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=HAXbxjQEpeI

5) Kool G. Rap- Very underrated, one of the innovators of street rap.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=HIYs3uRD6XM

4) Q-Tip- I don't know what he's doing now, but he carried ATCQ.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ju0Mj7QrBUU

3) Big Pun- Who knew a fat dude could do verbal gymnastics?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=oAB6MkJ1src

2) Andre 3000- He might've gotten a little weird but he's still got lyrics.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=CRYsuDTLe0M

1) Nas/Rakim- I'm tying these two because Rakim set the bar forever, but Nas seems to be his spiritual successor.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Q2ZqQZgeMuI

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Zu4RM1Iq-wg

trannybanger
05-19-2008, 04:06 PM
Been out for a few days but no one has mentioned

PHAROAHE MONCH ? ? ?

Where are you people at?

DJ_Asia
05-19-2008, 04:46 PM
Once upon a time I used to DJ for a living,and Hip/Hop was one of 2 genres of music(uplifting/Euphoric/Sunday Morning Trance being the other) that drove me out of the game,simply put I HATE rap.However even I dig on Ice Cube.
Im no expert on rappers and whats the difference between a "good" rapper and a bad one,but I have heard other who are better at the game then he is for sure,and alot of the names mentioned in this thread I find completely talentless.
But to say he is in the top 5 of all time is a bit steep.Perhaps top 5 most influential,like Carlos Santana and Tony Iommi are both highly influential guitarists but neither by any stretch of the imagination can be considered the most talented.
But regardless...Cube kicks ass! I mean how can one not like a guy who once proclaimed

"Cuz Ive got potentials to blow up a Winchells...donut,and you know what this rappin ass n****r can change like the weather and be down fo what ever"
....classic.

Jasadin
05-20-2008, 12:40 AM
I've had this talk more than a few times with my peers.In most cases I say that the best hasn't really been heard.In hiphop I really look to be moved lyrically and musically so it's mostly underground hiphop in my ipod these days.Cube's ok but he ain't got nothing on people like 2mex,Madlib,MF Doom,Living Legends,Supernatural,Scarub,Madvillain,Immortal Technique,Atmosphere,Jedi Mind Tricks.I could go on for days.

Quinn
05-20-2008, 01:14 AM

For the dome:

My all-time favorite.

4) Q-Tip- I don't know what he's doing now, but he carried ATCQ.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ju0Mj7QrBUU

Another one of my favorites, and, yes, he definitely carried ATCQ. My favorite ATCQ track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq2sdzIcR38

Ice Cube

I would include him in my top 5.

Yes to both.

Honestly, I never understood what people saw in Tupac. If he lived, I don’t think his work would be regarded with a tenth of the respect it gets today.

-Quinn

PapiQueRico
05-20-2008, 03:49 AM
Period

Still behind the times like the guy who still wore a jherri curl in the late 1980s. Ice Cube is probably in the top 5 rappers from the West Coast, but outside of that its debatable.

argentina2007
05-20-2008, 05:08 AM
There isn't one lyricist from the west coast who would make my top 100. The core values of MCing over there are too diluted and egotistical. I dislike pitting mc's against one another, but I feel I should share my opinion on who I would 'rank' as a top ten. No order ofcourse.

The Genius/GZA
Jeru the Damaja
Zev Love X (MF Doom these days, but I much prefer his style back with KMD)
Fruitkwan
Masta Killa (Sharper than a razor, please listen to Glaciers of ice, mystery of chessboxing, assassination day, his contributions to afu ra's debut etc and both of his albums before challenging this opinion)
Buckshot
Ghostface
Shurik'n (From France's IAM, if you speak french, please, please listen)
Guru
Killah Priest

Before any poster who feels offended with my opinion choses to get on my back, take your own time to listen to the said artists work.

argentina2007
05-20-2008, 07:54 AM

For the dome:

Tupac
Common
Kanye West
Mos Def
KRS One
The Roots
Talib Kweli

Jay Z
LL
Big Pun
Eve
Fat Joe
Outkast
Queen Latifah
Salt-n-Peppa
Run DMC
Missy Elliot

time.

EAST COAST BIAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

HATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111

lol

The East coast is Hip Hop, the inventors, the pioneers and the kings. From TNT (Writers for those not in the know, Skeme, Trap, Dez, Doze etc) to Wu Tang to The Rocksteady crew, it's all East.

argentina2007
05-20-2008, 08:06 AM

Ice cube is a hip hop pioneer and has shaped much of what is is.

If you wanna continue to deny that......

Thats on you.

Dondi White is a Hip Hop pioneer, Ice cube simply isn't.

ARMANIXXX
05-27-2008, 03:35 AM
Ya'll can say what you wanna.

If you say you ain't feelin this track.....

fuck you.

That's on the real.

PeteIsHere
05-27-2008, 09:28 AM
The greatest rapper of all time is MF Doom. There is no lyricist better than MF Doom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTbia6g3ck

KOH765
06-17-2008, 06:58 AM
Krayzie Bone
Bizzy Bone
Joe Budden
Papoose
Immortal Technique

ARMANIXXX
07-07-2008, 09:22 PM
Bump for Cube.

I think he pushed the release date to To August 19.

Still waiting.......and still waiting for a better 2008 HIP HOP (not Hip-Pop) track than this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzeZhCt5PVA&feature=related

ARMANIXXX
07-07-2008, 09:23 PM
Bump for Cube.

Still waiting.......and still waiting for a better 2008 HIP HOP (not Hip-Pop) track than this:

ARMANIXXX
07-07-2008, 09:24 PM
Bump for Cube.

ARMANIXXX
07-07-2008, 09:24 PM
Bump for Cube.

ARMANIXXX
07-07-2008, 09:25 PM
^, ^^, ^^^, and ^^^^

No error.

;)

trannybanger
07-07-2008, 09:28 PM
holy shit, this is fucking hilarious, are you his agent?

does cube like gettting pegged? you can do it put your ass into it!

ARMANIXXX
07-07-2008, 09:41 PM
holy shit, this is fucking hilarious, are you his agent?

does cube like gettting pegged? you can do it put your ass into it!

Only noon P.S.T.

bias in full effect for 6 more hours.

;)

Legend
07-07-2008, 10:25 PM
Ice cube dropped down in the lower tier when he made are we there yet.

2754tim
07-08-2008, 06:06 AM
Snoop
Eminem
Kanye
Biggie
Run
Pac
House Of Pain

Haze,long time time no see

StrangeAccentMAn
07-08-2008, 07:21 AM
Ghostface Killah be spitting some real real stuff.

While all of this rappers are far removed from the things they talk about.

Ice Cube
Eminem
Notorious BIG
Ghostface Killah
Nas

I mean if you want to talk about who is the most popular rappers, best selling, then that would be a different list.

Wino the SuperHero
07-08-2008, 08:18 AM
Here is my list

West Coast: NWA, Snoop Dogg, Ice Cube, Too Short and The Game

Mid-West: Kanye West, Bone Thugs, Eminem, Nelly and Common

East Coast: Nas, DMX, Jay-Z, Wu Tang Clan and Run D.M.C.

Dirty South: UGK, Outkast, Ludacris, Lil Jon and the East Side Boys, T.I, Three 6 Mafia, 8Ball and MJG, Pastor Troy, Geto Boys, Master P, Juvenile...

R.I.P: 2Pac, Biggie Smalls, J Dilla, Jam Master Jay, Big Pun, Big L and DJ Screw

My Favorite 5: David Banner, Lil Wayne, Cam' Ron, Capone N Noreaga(CNN) and Rick Ross

santiago316
07-08-2008, 08:32 AM
Here is another cut off of the "Raw Footage" album called "Do Ya Thang"
http://youtube.com/watch?v=zDkkIy5xo_Q

fubar123
07-08-2008, 09:45 AM
Big Daddy Kane.
GURU.
Rakim
Kool G Rap.
Chuck D.
Nas
Biggie
KRS
Jay Z
Slick Rick
Too Short
Scarface

Just some of my favs.

2754tim
07-08-2008, 07:45 PM
Shit.....Hold On!!!
Mary J.

ARMANIXXX
08-25-2008, 01:29 AM
I almost forgot about this.

I'm fixin to ride out and get Cubes new shit.

I tell you people what......

I'm gonna clear my head, pour me some wine, pop in the CD and after, I'll give you my non biased review.

I'll do it since I know none of you East Coast, haters of West Coast, will actually go out and buy an Ice Cube record.

timxxx
08-25-2008, 01:39 AM
I'll steal it,if it's really good I'll spend some of my £ on it.

trannybanger
08-25-2008, 02:11 AM

I'm gonna clear my head, pour me some wine, pop in the CD and after, I'll give you my non biased review.

I'll do it since I know none of you East Coast, haters of West Coast, will actually go out and buy an Ice Cube record.

I am lovin that you ressurected this shit.

After you "pour me some wine" we will await your "non biased review". I am sure Cube was all about people bumping his album while relaxing in the chaise and savoring a '62 Lafite. Keep bangin right?

Legend
08-25-2008, 02:18 AM
I wonder when lady sovereign will drop another album here.She has to be the illest female mc out there now.

PulsarX
08-25-2008, 03:07 AM
in order...

Tupac
Biggie

and then

LL
Nas
Snoop

and then

Run_DMC

....everyone else

PulsarX
08-25-2008, 03:09 AM
in order...

Tupac
Biggie

and then

LL
Nas
Snoop

and then

Run_DMC

....everyone else

oh damn..i forgot about Public Enemy...someone in the top 5 got bumped!

Lick UR Lovely
08-25-2008, 03:20 AM
He may not be the best/biggest rapper, but I think he's a pretty good actor! :D

uncutlove
08-25-2008, 04:01 AM
gangsta rap, g rated movies, then more gangsta rap, and more g rated movies...
HES HOOD.

santiago316
08-25-2008, 06:41 AM
I'll steal it,if it's really good I'll spend some of my £ on it.

If you are unsure and want to hear the ablum first,its up on youtube.
I have the Album and IMO it's really good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1W21fpFagE

PulsarX
08-25-2008, 07:06 AM
gangsta rap, g rated movies, then more gangsta rap, and more g rated movies...
HES HOOD.

:idea: Deisy Rocha :idea:

oh my god...can we start a thread just for her?????

and can I be in her next exercise class??

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
08-25-2008, 07:43 AM

http://www.tomsheehan.co.uk/images/chuck_d.jpg

Nuff Said

Tomfurbs
08-25-2008, 09:10 AM
Best Rapper of all time:

Dee Dee Ramone: Funky Man.

Possibly the worst ever white man attempt at rap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MVU09o0fPY

'I like hotdogs/franks and beans
I grew up in Forrest Hills Queens'

ARMANIXXX
08-26-2008, 07:55 PM

I am lovin that you ressurected this shit.

After you "pour me some wine" we will await your "non biased review". I am sure Cube was all about people bumping his album while relaxing in the chaise and savoring a '62 Lafite. Keep bangin right?

Hey,

You drink yours,

I drink mines,

Don't start none, won't be none.

;)

ARMANIXXX
08-26-2008, 08:13 PM
So,

I've had the opportunity to listen to Cubes new album, RAW FOOTAGE, 3 times now.

I don't wanna get all long winded and shit,

but I'll just say that Cube is most definitely back. Back to callin folks Cavemen and Devils, if you know what I mean and listened to cubes 1st few solo career albums.

At any rate, most of his record is done well, and done smart. The only thing, I personally don't think this is gonna be one of those "blockbuster smashes" type of records because it's done too smart..........he's talking TOO intelligently and I personally don't think new schoolers have the mental capacity and patience for such a record. The kids don't wanna hear true hip hop in general, they want LOLIPOP (which was a hot track btw) and shit like that.

He teamed up with Young Jeezy, MusiQ Soulchild, The Game, WC, a couple others, but not too many.

My favorite tracks, Why Me f/MusiQ Soulchild, It Takes A Nation, Hood Mentality, and Thank God .

It's a good album....Even though I don't specialize in Hip Hop, I'll put my rep as a musician on it.

If you like Hip HOp and you don't get this album, especially you East Coasters, you are wrong.....simple as that.

I'm out to my slave shop now.

dahgoog
08-27-2008, 06:07 PM
I know this is my first post but this thread is hip-hop and I couldn't help myself

Ice Cube is def a top 5 contender

anyone and everyone putting him down in this thread doesn't kno there hip-hop

yeah there's coast bias, but after Pac and BIG died that died as well

you either are up on ya hip-hop or your not

I personally don't think Ice Cube is Top 5 but he has credentials that apply 110%

my top 4 are Rakim, Nas, KRS-One & Big Pun

whoever brought up MC Ren in the earlier pages gets mad props from me

when I think NWA I think Ren & Cube. no offense to those other lamer characters.

I saw some lists with kanye & eminem. if that is what is considered top 5 then stop listening to whatever you have on now and listen to;

Ice Cube- Dvoidofpop (Remix)

eminem is hungangels #1 rapper & kanye just stole a m.I.a. sample from the beastie boys

wackjuice

now back to you Armani, you said Cubes album was the best but this one and his last 2 aren't touching Nas last 2 or KRS last 2 either, especially KRS

Ice Cube hasn't made a song like "Hip-Hop Lives" in a very long time

"Gangsta Rap Made Me Do It & Gangsta Rap (Remix) were great but nothing like;

Money ft MC Lyte

or I Was There

good thread tho I await the debate

"hip-hop aint dead but its swimming with a limb.." -Redman

ed_jaxon
08-27-2008, 08:45 PM
Best rap vid of all time imho.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tmbiji_uP6c

ARMANIXXX
08-27-2008, 08:55 PM
I know this is my first post but this thread is hip-hop and I couldn't help myself.................

now back to you Armani, you said Cubes album was the best but this one and his last 2 aren't touching Nas last 2 or KRS last 2 either, especially KRS

Ice Cube hasn't made a song like "Hip-Hop Lives" in a very long time

"Gangsta Rap Made Me Do It & Gangsta Rap (Remix) were great but nothing like;

Money ft MC Lyte

or I Was There

good thread tho I await the debate

"hip-hop aint dead but its swimming with a limb.." -Redman
__________________________________________________ _______________

I didn't say Cubes record was THE BEST,

I said it was good, and reminiscent of his previous militant records of past.

And I did say that Ice Cube's song. Gansta Rap Made Me Do It was the BEST Hip Hop single of the year so far......And I still back that and its almost Sept.

I also went on to imply that East Coasters, still to this day, have a problem with WEST COAST rap, and if they do NOT get this record, they are wrong and might just be ASSHOLES......that's what I implied.

It also seems that you do not carry all the bias that your regional peers do.....so maybe you'll go get the record.

jjhill
03-21-2009, 10:12 PM
Ice is good at what he do, but I can't put him in my top 5 either. He does make great movies and he has longevity

cjxxx
04-13-2013, 03:01 AM
I don't know how to discern good rap from bad rap other than my own tastes. My tastes are based upon the way I have lived and what particular music means to me. I feel that Jay Z belongs within the top five and he strikes me as a real thug as well. I feel the same about Biggy Smalls, his music has inspired and motivated me to calmly get what I want on given days; not to mention he could freestyle with the best of em. M & M gets credit as well, especially when it comes to free style, and his lyrics are tailored for any situation; perhaps even a little too emotional in a few songs, for my tastes anyways. Tu Pac of course left his mark, but I'm only fond of a little of Pac's music, I get around being a favorite. I grew up in Milwaukee so lived neither West nor East, but am more partial to East Coast Rap. Jay Z and Biggy just seem like real Thugs in my book, whereas Snoop, Ice Cube and Easy leave room for speculation. Nonetheless I love Snoops music and animated videos, specially 10 lil Crips, Cube's 2000, Easy's music in general. Oh and before I close I have ta mention 50 Cent, for I have a short freestyle done by 50 right after he recuperated following being perforated which was especially inspiring. Just today I found music I have been unable to locate for 10 years, "Where da paper at," which is perhaps not top five material but was something I thought of as the best, to my tastes that is. The song came to my attention in one of the various volumes of R&B Hip Hop Favorites from 2001 I believe. In closing I wanna express that in my opinion rap music is necessary as a tool of diversity which I wish all people with interests in rock, metal, Grunge, Punk, Industrial, etc. would open their minds to rather than dismiss based on their hatred for other races. Diversity along with an open mind are the keys to true freedom. Rap as well as R & B, Mo Town etc. have meaning for everyone and can provide insight into single lives as well as an entire people to such an extent as to set one free from making a choice to hate. SO regardless of who the true top 5 greatest rappers of all times are, if such can actually be discerned and accepted, I respect each individual person as to their opinion based upon their tastes. Moreover, I appreciate this thread for making me think about all the music I have had opportunity to open my mind to as well as for the opportunity to share my opinions and tastes with others. And now I'm gonna go listen to Scarface, minds playing tricks on me...

Willie Escalade
04-13-2013, 04:03 AM
All I'll say is that I prefer the stuff from the mid 90s to the sound-alike stuff being out out now...Snoop, Pac, Wu Tang, Black Moon, Hieroglyphics, Biggie, Jigga...I could go on and on.

Idt20082008"
04-13-2013, 08:46 AM
I agree totally Willie and I'll even go back farther to start (and I didn't read any posts beyond the last couple) but give me Chuck D and Public Enemy, KRS-One, Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, Q-Tip and Tribe Called Quest, Too Short, Schoolly D, and a lesser known but personal fav MC Breed

itsago
04-13-2013, 08:52 AM
Ice cube fell off in 1996...no way he's top 5

up_for_it
04-13-2013, 09:22 AM
I wouldnt say Cube gets in my top 5 of all time and I agree he fell off after the whole Friday franchise. But, I do like some of his old stuff- Amerikkka's Most Wanted and before. My Summer Vacation has been on rotation on my mp3 player for weeks now. He's actually got a sense of humor and can tell a story if you can get past the bullshit.

Willie Escalade
04-13-2013, 09:44 AM
I agree totally Willie and I'll even go back farther to start (and I didn't read any posts beyond the last couple) but give me Chuck D and Public Enemy, KRS-One, Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, Q-Tip and Tribe Called Quest, Too Short, Schoolly D, and a lesser known but personal fav MC Breed

Of course I remember MC Breed and the Detroit Flint Crew...may he rest in peace...

MC Breed Feat. 2pac "Gotta Get Mine" (Uncensored) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zZycu7mB-I)

Produced by Warren G!

envivision
04-13-2013, 03:36 PM
I am no expert on this topic since this site is for tranny aficionados, and not rap lovers. But me being a 'honky' - I have to interject. What about Vanilla Ice?. He was 'bad' in the 90's. (bad = good in rap lingo)

And to make it legit, he had his personal feud with this other honky group. And here is the video to prove it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzXI_ApY4dY

Idt20082008"
04-13-2013, 08:37 PM
Yes R.I.P. Breed, he was taken too soon. Another great track from him and 2Pac is "Seven Years"' just outstanding stuff

As for Vanilla Ice Envivision, I'm assuming you're joking lol.....

Willie Escalade
04-13-2013, 09:56 PM
Eminem, yes. MC Search, yes. Robert van Winkle?

Idt20082008"
04-13-2013, 11:34 PM
Good call on Serch Willie, he is forgotten sometimes. Have to put Mike D and MCA in there too. As for Robert Van Winkle, I have no words lol. I can only imagine what all the greats in this thread thought and said about him back in the day....

Willie Escalade
04-14-2013, 12:32 AM
Good call on Serch Willie, he is forgotten sometimes. Have to put Mike D and MCA in there too. As for Robert Van Winkle, I have no words lol. I can only imagine what all the greats in this thread thought and said about him back in the day....
I LOVED the Beastie Boys...no homo :D

Beastie Boys - So What Cha Want - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru3gH27Fn6E)

Idt20082008"
04-14-2013, 01:20 AM
I LOVED the Beastie Boys...no homo :D

Beastie Boys - So What Cha Want - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru3gH27Fn6E)

Lol me too, they are well represented on my IPod. Licensed to Ill one ofhe great albums of Rap and Hip-Hop. Adam Yauch another gone too soon...

Great damn song too!

cadillac
04-14-2013, 02:53 AM
ice t...the best