PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP going off market in June: What it means

Floyd R
04-17-2008, 10:23 PM
The Tech Blog

Windows XP going off market in June: What it means

Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:28PM EDT

Microsoft originally announced over a year ago that Windows XP would be going off the market in January 2008. XP was later given a brief stay of execution, to June 30, 2008. That deadline is fast approaching, which has led to much panicking from people who aren't quite sure what XP's "going off market" means, exactly.

People are still as confused as ever. So let's take a stab at clarifying, once again, what's going to happen by answering some frequently asked questions about XP's imminent disappearance.

Will Windows XP really no longer be on sale after June 30? Sorry for the double negative, but no. All this means is that Microsoft will stop selling the OS. Finding a computer with XP preinstalled will likely be very difficult, as well. However, you'll still be able to find copies for the foreseeable future, and likely the unforeseeable one, too. See for yourself: You can find copies of just about any Microsoft product, including ancient versions of Windows and even MS-DOS, by simply searching online. But hang on to your current copy of Windows XP. You may need it down the road if you don't want to move to Vista.

Will I be forced to upgrade to Vista soon? No. But it will get harder and harder not to, especially since new software and peripherals are likely to stop working with XP. That could take years.

Will my XP machine stop working in June? No, but Microsoft will stop releasing non-security software updates to the masses on April 14, 2009. But let's be clear: XP will continue to "work" even after this point.

Will Microsoft shut off product activation for XP after June? No, that would be crazy. While no one has said this will happen, it's conceivable that Windows could shut down product activation for XP at some point. But that would only happen after XP reaches its end-of-support term (when all support plans expire). The good news for you: That happens on April 8, 2014, which should be plenty of time to get the kinks worked out of Vista-or switch to a Mac, Linux, or anything else. Bottom line: Your copy of XP will work, totally legally, for at least six more years.

What about after 2014? Well, that's unclear. But it's possible XP will stop being installable at that point. Microsoft's official policy is that these dates have "no affect [sic] on how long you can use a product," which may imply product activation will work forever. However, two things come to mind:

1) Even the most die-hard XP enthusiast will probably be ready to upgrade at that point (as XP will be nearly 15 years old, and your PC will be dead by then, I'm sure).

2) Even if Microsoft shuts off product activation, the hacker community will certainly make dozens of tools to let you continue using XP with abandon. Fret not.

Can I install XP on a PC that has Vista already on it? Yes. You can delete any partition with any OS on it (and reformat it) during the installation of XP. If you're feeling brave, you can even run both OSes at the same time by setting up a dual-boot machine.

copied from http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/25252

Floyd R
04-17-2008, 10:25 PM
For those of you that are savy computer users, is it worth upgrading to Vista or is a Macintosh a better option with Window XP being discontinuted? Thanks.

bulldog
04-18-2008, 10:59 PM
I have Windows Vista, dont mind it too much, there are some features that I really like about it but it is a bitch to work with sometimes, specially with some of my older games. I think they should keep XP on the market, at least until they come out with there next installment on Windows.

XP will continue to work on your machine as long as you want it on there, but lets be realistic, it is getting to the point where alot of software will not support your OS.

Ben

the_corner
04-18-2008, 11:05 PM
Get a mac.

eze
04-18-2008, 11:14 PM
For those of you that are savy computer users, is it worth upgrading to Vista or is a Macintosh a better option with Window XP being discontinuted? Thanks.

Get Vista Ultimate.

While Vista has sucked ass.. Ultimate has proved to be the best of all the Vistas.

I currently bounce back and fourth between XP and Vista... and with SP1 for Vista out, it's become better , way better then it originally was.

Also, do not get a Mac. Mac's suck. Not because Im a mac hater but Ive used a mac, they suck.

fhsjazztrumpet2
04-19-2008, 04:44 AM
Macs are far too expensive. I literally got at least 50% more machine for about 300 bucks less by going Dell instead of Mac. I mean a LOT more machine. More power (literally), a faster chipset, more and faster mem, a HDD almost twice as fast as what Apple offers (5400 RPM drives? lol), and a monster of a graphics card. Vista, contrary to popular belief, has been MORE stable for me than XP was. It does have some great features, but you DO have to get a machine that can handle it. All the bitching about Vista seems to be from people trying to ram it onto a machine that was from the dark ages when XP was new. Those 'designed for....' stickers mean something, after all.

Remember, Vista is starting out, and XP sucked hard when it first released, until SP1 I do believe. Remember that Leopard is JUST as buggy as Vista, though Apple would never admit to it. Linux is an alternative, and I do want to eventually do an Ubuntu install on my Vista machine at some point.

doradora
04-19-2008, 06:25 AM
my OS will be junk?
huh..

Wolfcap
04-19-2008, 04:39 PM
A lot of my friends have been switching to macs and find its real processing speed much faster than whatever raw numbers you read for a comparable pc in price. They also have some program or something thats lets them run unix and windows at the same time as osx and can switch back and forth in real time fast(real fast). ived never owned a mac, but i think its the next computer ill purchase. Im still on a upgraded dell bought in 2000.

bulldog
04-19-2008, 09:25 PM
For a computer it will depend on what ur goin to use it for,(i.e. for gamers max on video/RAM/HD capacity) my recommendation is buy a cheap one, like an Acer or Compaq (300-500 dollars), and just upgrade the hardware/software, that goes for desktops and laptops.

Ben

bulldog
04-19-2008, 09:30 PM
my OS will be junk?
huh..

Wont be junk, it will just lose support for it. Meaning if something goes wrong, hopefully you have a friend who is good with computers, b/c Microsoft will not help you after a set date.

To avoid nasty surprises, watch what you download, delete, and open(mostly watch opening emails)

Ben

Willie Escalade
04-20-2008, 08:17 AM
I was talking to a couple of Mac users yesterday (a webmaster and a tech nut) and I checked out my friend's Mac Book Pro. It's cool, but indeed out of my price range. While browsing Dell laptops, I came across one that's perfect for me. Hopefully Vista isn't too troublesome on that computer. Dell still sells two laptops with XP, but if all the above is true I may stick with Vista for the time being.

sirmartinfrobisher
04-20-2008, 09:25 AM
The US Government has not approved Vista for purchase by its agencies, so it is likely that XP will be available for a while longer.

"Service Pack 3 is due sometime in 2008; retail sales of XP end in June 2008 and there will be no new PCs with XP after january 2009. From then on there will be 5 years of bug fixes and ten years of security updates."
So tweaking will go on until 2014 and security updates until january 2019.

chefmike
04-20-2008, 10:05 AM
XP is just fine for me for the time being. I've heard gamers say that they prefer Vista, but the closest that I get to gaming is playing online poker...by the time that XP is passe I'll need a new computer anyway.

Jericho
04-20-2008, 11:34 AM
Dell still sells two laptops with XP

Which says it all.

doradora
04-20-2008, 04:39 PM
Wont be junk, it will just lose support for it. Meaning if something goes wrong, hopefully you have a friend who is good with computers, b/c Microsoft will not help you after a set date.

To avoid nasty surprises, watch what you download, delete, and open(mostly watch opening emails)

Ben
(I did it! I did it! I get Small Pink Window!! :cry )

is advice for me?
Thank, I will :D

peggygee
05-10-2008, 04:53 AM
HELP SAVE XP Petition

Join the 193,827 people so far (as of 9a PT on May 7) who have signed
our online petition to demand that Microsoft not stop OEM and
shrinkwrapped sales of Windows XP as planned on June 30, 2008, but
instead keep it available indefinitely.

http://reg.itworld.com/servlet/Frs.frs?Context=LOGENTRY&Source=entdesk&Source_BC=13&Script=/LP/80276783/reg&

ottorocket
05-10-2008, 07:25 AM

Get Vista Ultimate.

While Vista has sucked ass.. Ultimate has proved to be the best of all the Vistas.

I currently bounce back and fourth between XP and Vista... and with SP1 for Vista out, it's become better , way better then it originally was.

Also, do not get a Mac. Mac's suck. Not because Im a mac hater but Ive used a mac, they suck.

+1 on all of this. Ultimate runs really well, and since i sold my Macbook i've never looked back. I have plenty of power in my quad-core to do any graphic or video editing and i can finally take advantage of all the software out there.

dan_drade
05-10-2008, 07:54 AM
The bottome line is this...

If you currently have a computer that is running Windows XP Don't Upgrade it to Vista If you try to upgrade a computer that has older hardware and/or does not meet or exceede the minimum requirements, you will be forever upgrading hardware and tweeking the OS to make it run right. IMHO, it's just not worth the time and headache.

If you are going to buy a new computer, just get whatever the manufacturer installs on it and learn to love it. Eventually all new computers will be sold with Vista pre installed on them, so you might as well just get used to it. If you try to install XP on that new computer, you might just fuck it up and the manufacturer will tell you that they cannot help you because they don't support that model with XP installed on it.

Mac's are a decent option, but they are pretty expensive and limited as to what you can add on to them, but they are easy to use and there are not many viruses, malware, adware and spyware out on the Internet like there are for PC's. This makes it a lot safer for the average user to surf the web without the fear of contracting some deadly software from the Internet.

Lastly, if you are computer savvy, you can always use one of the many flavors of Linus that are out there. Most are pretty stable and they now all have windows gui's on them. They can be a little tricky when adding hardware or new software. So if you are not an experienced user, you are very likely to have many problems with the OS.

Fox
05-10-2008, 08:19 AM
Vista's utility depends on what you want to do with your computer. If you're a gamer, I'd say stick with XP since you'll lose performance with Vista (despite MS saying it was built with gamers in mind), particularly on newer games unless you have a beefy rig. Other than that, it's been fine for me.

What I do is dual boot them both (for free), but I rarely even use Vista, so...