PDA

View Full Version : Author Terry McMillan's 'Groove' Was Gay

d
07-13-2005, 06:43 AM
she basically started the whole genre of blkmale-bashing-you-go-girl movies
i guess her chickens came home to roost

Author Terry McMillan's 'Groove' Was Gay

Terry McMillan, the author whose best-selling novel “How Stella Got Her Groove Back” and its subsequent film version fictionalized her own road to the altar with a Jamaican man 23 years her junior, has filed for divorce from the young man after finding out that he is homosexual.

According to the San Francisco Chronicle, McMillan, 53, filed suit in Contra Costa County Superior Court claiming that the marriage was based on a "fraud'' because Plummer lied about his sexual orientation -- and married her only to gain U.S. citizenship.

"It was devastating to discover that a relationship I had publicized to the world as life-affirming and built on mutual love was actually based on deceit,'' she wrote in her declaration. "I was humiliated."

Plummer, who said in court papers that McMillan got “homophobic” on him with a vengeance, wants to void the couple's prenuptial agreement that would keep from him snatching half of the millions she's earned as a writer, reports the paper. He also says he never got his full share of royalties from the "How Stella Got Her Groove Back" properties, as spelled out in the prenup.

Before their Sept. 8, 1998, wedding in Maui, Plummer signed the prenup that prevents him from pocketing anything should they part ways, including "temporary and permanent spousal support and attorney's fees.”

"All I want to do is settle the case in a way that's fair to both parties ... and that allows Jonathan sufficient funds to re-establish himself. And we have been blocked,” Plummer's attorney, Dolores Sargent, told the Chronicle.

While Sargent says her client is not motivated by money, McMillan says in court papers: "Jonathan has manipulated me from the very beginning in his scheme to come to the United States, become a citizen and get rich through someone else's effort.”

Plummer said he didn't realize he was gay when he met a 42-year-old McMillan in June of 1995 at a Jamaican resort. Nor, he says, did he seize on the author's fame.

"I was a 20-year-old kid when I met her and had no idea that she was anybody other than an attractive, older woman,'' he said in court papers.

The author wrote in her filing that their happy marriage started to crumble in the last few years as "he became less attentive, less charming, more distracted and absent from the home.”

Plummer explained his absence by saying he was hemmed up at a dog-grooming business in Danville that McMillan had set up for him a couple of years ago.

Both parties tell different stories of how Plummer’s down low status was exposed.

"I was kicked out of the house in December right after I told her,'' Plummer told the paper. However, McMillan’s court filing says Plummer confessed to being gay only after she confronted him about all his hours of phone calls to a male friend living in Jamaica. She also says she later learned that Plummer was frequenting online gay chat sites.

Then things really got nasty. Court filings show that McMillan took out a restraining order to keep Plummer from their $4 million home, and she claimed she recently discovered that Plummer had embezzled at least $200,000 from her bank accounts before and during their marriage.

(According to the Chronicle, he admits in court papers "a gross error of judgment" in taking $62,000 without her knowledge, but said that he was financially dependent on her during the marriage and that he intends to pay it back.)

In response, Plummer obtained a restraining order on McMillan as well, claiming that she constantly harassed him for coming out of the closet, and at one point walked into his dog-grooming business and flung a ceramic object across the room Russell Crowe-style.

"She kept calling me, saying nasty things about me being gay, calling me a fag,'' Plummer told the paper. In a Jan. 14 letter written by McMillan and filed with the court, the author told Plummer, "The reason you're going to make a great fag is that most of you guys are just like dogs anyway. ... You do whatever with whomever pleases you and don't seem to care about the consequences."

Plummer also says McMillan came into the dog-grooming shop and left him a bottle of Jamaican hot pepper sauce on which she wrote, "Fag Juice Burn Baby Burn,'' and that she also scrawled "Jonathan's Fag boyfriend Fag'' on a photo of a friend.

McMillan's attorney, Jill Hersh tells the paper that her client "is anything but homophobic.''

"However, she feels betrayed and disappointed ... that her husband is gay, '' Hersh said. "And anything you have seen in the pleadings emanates from how she is experiencing the end of her marriage, and it doesn't have to do with anything else.''

On June 17, a Superior Court judge ordered McMillan to pay him $2,000 a month in spousal support, plus $25,000 in attorney's fees -- until a full trial on the validity of the prenuptial agreement and the annulment request is heard in October, reports the Chronicle.