PDA

View Full Version : Would you do it?

will802
04-07-2008, 02:08 PM
I am considering taking a 2-3yr work assignment in China. Great opportunity, great money, great life experience. However the downfall is leaving my family for that length of time. Would you do it or pass on a great opportunity for the sake of your family?

dgtlmstry
04-07-2008, 06:11 PM
Yep....But find out about the air quality at the place you are considering moving to. 2-3 years of breathing in crap can be pretty tough on your health.

hondarobot
04-07-2008, 07:40 PM
I am considering taking a 2-3yr work assignment in China. Great opportunity, great money, great life experience. However the downfall is leaving my family for that length of time. Would you do it or pass on a great opportunity for the sake of your family?

That depends on the definition of "family". Would I go off on an adventure without my parents or siblings? Of course I would. If you mean leaving behind your wife and/or children, no, I would not do that.

Thankfully, I don't have a wife or children so it wouldn't really be an issue in my case. On the other hand, I have no desire to live in China, so the answer would still be no.

blckhaze
04-07-2008, 07:41 PM
Depends on whether i have kids, and how old the are. If there younger than 12, then no.

will802
04-07-2008, 08:54 PM
yes wife and 3 kids all under 12....My wife is ok with it just not sure how kids will take it.

BeardedOne
04-07-2008, 10:17 PM
I really can't speak from the family point of view as I am closer to the local barkeeps than I am to my family, so that wouldn't be a deciding factor for me.

When you say "...the money is great...", is it 'great' enough to afford an annual or semi-annual holiday to vizzit home (Or bring them to China for a whole-family cultural experience)? That could help.

will802
04-08-2008, 01:47 AM
all built into the per diem payout. I need to spend 330 days or more per yr living there to qualify for the expat tax breaks (i think) that is still things that need a definitive answer.

I really can't speak from the family point of view as I am closer to the local barkeeps than I am to my family, so that wouldn't be a deciding factor for me.

When you say "...the money is great...", is it 'great' enough to afford an annual or semi-annual holiday to vizzit home (Or bring them to China for a whole-family cultural experience)? That could help.

will802
04-08-2008, 01:50 AM
yes that is true and the financial windfall is hard to pass up

if the money is right take it ! its no different then going to the military