PDA

View Full Version : Charlton Heston

tstv_lover
04-06-2008, 08:27 AM
Just heard that Charlton Heston passed away, aged 84.

The only time I saw Charlton Heston was 20 years ago in London when he acted in The Caine Mutiny. The theatre gave him a 5 minute standing ovation when he came onto the stage.

I totally disagreed with his stance on weapons, but recognise him as a true superstar.

carrotoe
04-06-2008, 12:50 PM
Yeah, I could care less about his political views, but as an artist he was up there. So many good movies: Planet of the Apes, Soylent Green, Ben-Hur, Touch of Evil, The Ten Commandments... I could go on.

timxxx
04-06-2008, 04:24 PM
Maybe they can now get his gun from his cold, dead hands. :twisted:

A dick for his support for NRA but a great movie star.

That_1_Guy
04-06-2008, 04:33 PM
What's wrong with the right to bear arms?

alpha2117
04-06-2008, 04:38 PM
He was a legend amongst crap actors! Seriously he had all the range and subtlety of the Great Gonzo.

marissaazts
04-06-2008, 07:06 PM
nra life member here
i cheer his firearm views

Floyd R
04-06-2008, 07:53 PM
I think Charlton Heston was a decent actor. The acting style of his time period seems a different from what I'm use to seeing.

I am supporter of the NRA. Anyone that wants to take away a citizens right to bare arms has a few screws lose.

bat1
04-06-2008, 08:13 PM
The Ten Commandments was great!

we have to go sometimes

www.deathclock.com

Coroner
04-06-2008, 08:20 PM
Another asshole gone. :wink:

Ozniak
04-06-2008, 10:06 PM
Saying someone is an asshole for their point of view on things makes you a fascist mother fucker. Be open-minded.

Or, you can take this reply and retort in a manner in which we can truly see your IQ

Realgirls4me
04-06-2008, 10:18 PM
Saying someone is an asshole for their point of view on things makes you a fascist mother fucker. Be open-minded.

Or, you can take this reply and retort in a manner in which we can truly see your IQ

Uh, no it doesn't. You are playing wa-a-a-ay too fast and loose with your definition of "fascism".

OEMEnemyNum1
04-07-2008, 04:37 AM
I don't see any problem with bearing arms. I'm a hunter and target shooter, thats the only reason I have for owning weapons. I agree with people that they are dangerous in the wrong hands. I seriously doubt that people who shouldn't own them, own them legally anyways. I know some people want to outlaw guns all together, but will that stop anyone thats going to commit a gun crime anyways?

I think it would just make several more criminals in the process. I can live without my guns, and I'd get rid of it if need be. I know some people that wouldn't give up their guns.

Coroner
04-07-2008, 04:46 AM

I missed this, you worthless piece of shit. You wanna know the most famous fascists from Hollywood? Here they are: John Wayne, Ronald Reagan and Charlton Heston. You´re not even competent to define fascism. Or check out Chuck Norris, one of the most retarded Christian fundamentalists I´ve ever seen on TV. You guys think that famous people can´t be fascists. It´s sad how Heston turned from a liberal human rights activist to a NRA nationalist turd. Again: another asshole is dead. Next please.

chefmike
04-07-2008, 05:54 AM

I missed this, you worthless piece of shit. You wanna know the most famous fascists from Hollywood? Here they are: John Wayne, Ronald Reagan and Charlton Heston. You´re not even competent to define fascism. Or check out Chuck Norris, one of the most retarded Christian fundamentalists I´ve ever seen on TV. You guys think that famous people can´t be fascists. It´s sad how Heston turned from a liberal human rights activist to a NRA nationalist turd. Again: another asshole is dead. Next please.

LMFAO...why don't you tell him how you really feel, Coroner?

Felicia Katt
04-07-2008, 06:18 AM
People are too quick and too wrong to use the term fascist.

http://www.oldamericancentury.org/14pts.htm

Under the real definition, and distinguishing characteristics, Bush's goverment and its supporters, like Heston, exemplify a modern fascist philosophy.

That said, a society that shows a little respect for the dead, at least until he is buried, would be nice. But that would be utopian.

FK

bulldog
04-07-2008, 06:41 AM
nra life member here

AMEN

chefmike
04-07-2008, 06:48 AM
nra life member here

AMEN

Yes indeed, he really distinguished himself after the Columbine massacre...what a guy...

Ozniak
04-07-2008, 10:30 AM

Ronald Reagan did more for this fucking WORLD than you could even imagine. Ever heard of Reaganomics? Probably not because you're a fucking snail under a rock somewhere in butt-fucking-nowhere.

Do some research before calling people out on their short comings you self righteous dip shit. Ronald Reagan will go down in history as one of the greatest presidents/men of all times for his acts on tax avoidance (while also increasing gov't revenue and cutting taxes) I'm sure if you went to college or any kind of advancement courses, you would have already known why this was so vital in the progression of any uniform government platform, but if you missed that day by jacking off to your ego, I'll catch you up on it.

Stop being a passive aggressive, egotistical, worthless bastard, and start honoring thine dead or shutting your fucking gaping hole so no one else around here has to smell what shit spews out.

tstv_lover
04-07-2008, 11:29 AM
a society that shows a little respect for the dead, at least until he is buried, would be nice. But that would be utopian.
FK

Thanks Felicia.

I'm disappointed that my innocuous thread seems to have caused so much angst.

A guy died. We all die. How difficult is it to take a few minutes away from abusive language to show some respect.

No, don't answer - just stop and think.

AllanahStarrNYC
04-07-2008, 11:43 AM
I never agreed with his politics and I am not a fan or the NRA, nor do I think people should be able to own guns-

but RIP

Cuchulain
04-07-2008, 02:56 PM
Ronald Reagan did more for this fucking WORLD than you could even imagine. Ever heard of Reaganomics?

ROFL! I LAUGHED. I CRIED, I LOADED MY AK-47! Reaganomics, better known as 'trickle down' is best described as robbing the poor and the middle class to give to the rich. As for what wingnut Ronnie did for the world:

"The deregulation policies of Ronald Reagan did not just deliver journalism to these massive corporations, but handed virtually every facet of our lives into the hands of this privileged few. The air we breathe, the water we drink, the food we eat are all tainted because Reagan battered down every environmental regulation he came across so corporations could improve their bottom line. Our leaders are wholly-owned subsidiaries of the corporations that were made all-powerful by Reagan's deregulation craze. The Savings and Loan scandal of Reagan's time, which cost the American people hundreds of billions of dollars, is but one example of Reagan's decision that the foxes would be fine guards in the henhouse.

Ronald Reagan believed in small government, despite the fact that he grew government massively during his time. Social programs which protected the weakest of our citizens were gutted by Reagan's policies, delivering millions into despair. Reagan was able to do this by caricaturing the "welfare queen," who punched out babies by the barnload, who drove the flashy car bought with your tax dollars, who refused to work because she didn't have to. This was a vicious, racist lie, one result of which was the decimation of a generation by crack cocaine. The urban poor were left to rot because Ronald Reagan believed in 'self-sufficiency.'

Because Ronald Reagan could not be bothered to fund research into 'gay cancer,' the AIDS virus was allowed to carve out a comfortable home in America. The aftershocks from this callous disregard for people whose homosexuality was deemed evil by religious conservatives cannot be overstated. Beyond the graves of those who died from a disease which was allowed to burn unchecked, there are generations of Americans today living with the subconscious idea that sex equals death.

The veneer of honor and respect painted across the legacy of Ronald Reagan is itself a myth of biblical proportions. The coverage proffered today of the Reagan legacy seldom mentions impropriety until the Iran/Contra scandal appears on the administration timeline. This sin of omission is vast. By the end of his term in office, some 138 Reagan administration officials had been convicted, indicted or investigated for misconduct and/or criminal activities.

Some of the names on this disgraceful roll-call: Oliver North, John Poindexter, Richard Secord, Casper Weinberger, Elliott Abrams, Robert C. McFarlane, Michael Deaver, E. Bob Wallach, James Watt, Alan D. Fiers, Clair George, Duane R. Clarridge, Anne Gorscuh Burford, Rita Lavelle, Richard Allen, Richard Beggs, Guy Flake, Louis Glutfrida, Edwin Gry, Max Hugel, Carlos Campbell, John Fedders, Arthur Hayes, J. Lynn Helms, Marjory Mecklenburg, Robert Nimmo, J. William Petro, Thomas C. Reed, Emanuel Savas, Charles Wick. Many of these names are lost to history, but more than a few of them are still with us today, 'rehabilitated' by the administration of George W. Bush.

Ronald Reagan actively supported the regimes of the worst people ever to walk the earth. Names like Marcos, Duarte, Rios Mont and Duvalier reek of blood and corruption, yet were embraced by the Reagan administration with passionate intensity. The ground of many nations is salted with the bones of those murdered by brutal rulers who called Reagan a friend. Who can forget his support of those in South Africa who believed apartheid was the proper way to run a civilized society?

One dictator in particular looms large across our landscape. Saddam Hussein was a creation of Ronald Reagan. The Reagan administration supported the Hussein regime despite his incredible record of atrocity. The Reagan administration gave Hussein intelligence information which helped the Iraqi military use their chemical weapons on the battlefield against Iran to great effect. The deadly bacterial agents sent to Iraq during the Reagan administration are a laundry list of horrors.

The Reagan administration sent an emissary named Donald Rumsfeld to Iraq to shake Saddam Hussein's hand and assure him that, despite public American condemnation of the use of those chemical weapons, the Reagan administration still considered him a welcome friend and ally. This happened while the Reagan administration was selling weapons to Iran, a nation notorious for its support of international terrorism, in secret and in violation of scores of laws.....Throughout the entirety of Reagan's term, bin Laden and his people were armed, funded and trained by the United States" http://masters-of-war.org/GEORGIE%20WARBUCKS.html

The only good thing I can say about "the gipper" is he's not the biggest criminal to ever be in the White House - Bush has him beat.

Sorry to hijack the Charlton Heston RIP thread, but sweet Jesus I hated Reagan.

chefmike
04-07-2008, 04:10 PM
Ronald Reagan did more for this fucking WORLD than you could even imagine.

Now THAT'S funny.

It's also a heaping crock of shit.

Floyd R
04-07-2008, 07:56 PM
Criminals that commit crime own lots of guns bought through illegal channels. Decent law-abiding citizens have the right to protect themselves against the criminal element. If a criminal invades your home at 3am, what are you going to do to defend yourself?

I never agreed with his politics and I am not a fan or the NRA, nor do I think people should be able to own guns-

but RIP

hondarobot
04-07-2008, 08:29 PM
Lol. We've had the gun debate several times here. I suppose a Chuck Heston thread would be the place to get that going again.

Film noirish private detectives in rumpled suits need to have a .38 in their pocket. That's just a law of nature, hence guns must be legal. End of debate.

Personally, I've never owned a gun, but then again, I'm not a detective. I'm going to start lobbying for the rights of film noir detectives.

:lol:

TJT
04-08-2008, 06:00 AM

Under the real definition, and distinguishing characteristics, Bush's goverment and its supporters, like Heston, exemplify a modern fascist philosophy.

That said, a society that shows a little respect for the dead, at least until he is buried, would be nice. But that would be utopian.

FK

So I've got to wait until he's off to the processing factory to make "Charlton Heston is Soylent Green" jokes?

TJT
04-08-2008, 06:01 AM

FK

So I've got to wait until he's off to the processing factory to make "Charlton Heston is Soylent Green" jokes?

trish
04-08-2008, 06:44 AM
Ever heard of Reaganomics?

Actually I have. It’s the sorriest crock of shit ever to hit the fan. Ah yes, the Reagan years, when interest rates on mortgages were 16 fucking percent. Those were the days! Ever try to buy a house at 16% interest?

Ah yes, Reagan and the famous trickle down theory. The trickle-down metaphor for the flow of money in our economy has always relied on the trick of a hidden assumption: the rich are high, the poor are low and like water attempting to lower its gravitational potential, money flows downhill. It’s a false exercise in vertical thinking. The real situation is this:

Money attracts money. There are individuals in this world who are worth more than whole nations. The super-massive sums in the pockets of the wealthy attract and accrete more and more money. The power of these black holes is indifferent and uncaring to the society around them. They warp the culture and the lives of people throughout the world. Dollars are literally sucked out of the pockets of ordinary people as they walk down the street or just up the driveway to the mailbox to retrieve the day’s harvest of bills. What keeps your savings, your car, your home from falling into the abyss? What keeps these dark holes at bay? Believe me; they don’t check themselves, except when one swallows up another to create an even more dangerous, more massive super-attractor. Government of the people, by the people and for the people keeps them in check. Regulation, control and oversight is required to keep the economy working for US and not just for the top 5% of the wealthiest Americans. He who is for himself alone is an asshole and a jerk; not a patriot. Reagan was an asshole.

So as not to totally waylay this thread, let me opine that Heston was descent in Ben Hur, but pretty lousy in Omega Man, Planet of the Apes and Soyent Green. As an actor in his prime he was pretty good. However, he never matured into a great actor. I give him two and a half stars.

OEMEnemyNum1
04-08-2008, 07:02 AM
Like I said before, I own several guns and I'm a reloader. I've never shot anyone and I never plan on it, but I will defend myself if need be.

I don't know what Reagan has to do with this thread, but my view on the president can boil to this theory. The president doesn't help or hurt the economy, it's total perception of the public. So if the media would just tell people the economy is strong, people would make it happen. lol

Realgirls4me
04-08-2008, 07:07 AM
I am still wondering what the Reagan administration actually did for this country that would place him historically as a good president, let alone a great one? What policies of that administration can anyone point to that benefited the country as a whole and not just the wealthy? Put aside the fact that his legacy is firmly cemented as one of unprecedented debt and ushering in homelessness -- which are both still with us -- but that he also reignited the Cold War in Latin America and has the dubious and shameful distinction of having possibly the most corrupt administration ever -- more from his administration were indicted and convicted than any other in modern history.

Again, what did Reagan do to make him so great? And please don't tell me he ended the Cold War. The Soviet Union was already imploding under the Ford Administration, this according to Gorbachov as well as our own intelligence.

trish
04-08-2008, 07:12 AM
The president doesn't help or hurt the economy

Like when a president borrows a trillion dollars from China and dumps three trillion down a rat hole. That doesn't help or hurt the economy.

Buddy Wood
04-08-2008, 07:16 AM
Wow!!! Who cares??

The point is The Planet of the Apes (in widescreen) is one of the coolest movies ever. And the man who said "Take your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape!" has died.

Now bow your heads and talk about guns and reaganomics somewhere else.

SugaSweet
04-08-2008, 07:39 AM
He was an early supporter of civil rights and a late supporter of civil rights.If you just want criminals and the government to own guns,move your fucking ass to the Soviet Union,North Korea or China.There was one European country Hitler did not dare enter,Switzerland.Find out why with your own research,or I can give you the short answer:all Swiss citizens took basic military training and each home was required to own a firearm.

SugaSweet
04-08-2008, 07:47 AM
For the misinformed,interest rates peaked in late 1981,a year after Reagan took office.Then as now,the Federal Reserve sets interest rates at their choosing,no guidance from an administration.I would say the fall of the Soviet Union and freedom for millions from the tyranny of Communism qualifies for something.Of course,virtually all of those people were white,so they do not count.As for Reagan's predecessor,the Baptist bullshit artist Jimmy Carter,you can thank his sorry ass for the current wave of Islamofascism.

Jericho
04-08-2008, 09:43 AM
There was one European country Hitler did not dare enter,Switzerland.Find out why with your own research,or I can give you the short answer:all Swiss citizens took basic military training and each home was required to own a firearm.

Yeah, right.
And the English built Hadrians wall to starve the Scots during the potato famine.

chefmike
04-08-2008, 09:59 AM
For the misinformed,interest rates peaked in late 1981,a year after Reagan took office.Then as now,the Federal Reserve sets interest rates at their choosing,no guidance from an administration.I would say the fall of the Soviet Union and freedom for millions from the tyranny of Communism qualifies for something.Of course,virtually all of those people were white,so they do not count.As for Reagan's predecessor,the Baptist bullshit artist Jimmy Carter,you can thank his sorry ass for the current wave of Islamofascism.

What a total crock of shit!

If there were indeed such a thing as Hell, Ronnie would be roasting on a spit in Hades for all eternity...

REAGAN LIE DETECTOR

Reagan conducted one of the most absurd invasions of American history, targetting the tiny island of Grenada.

As president of the Screen Actors Guild, Ronald Reagan informed on fellow actors to the FBI.

The Reagan admininstration was one of the most corrupt in American history, including by one estimate 31 Reagan era convictions, including 14 because of Iran-Contra and 16 in the Department of Housing & Urban Development scandal. By comparison 40 government officials were indicted or convicted in the wake of Watergate. 47 individuals and businesses associated with the Clinton machine were convicted of or pleaded guilty to crimes with 33 of these occurring during the Clinton administration itself. There were in addition 61 indictments or misdemeanor charges. 14 persons were imprisoned.

Using a looser standard that included resignations, David R. Simon and D. Stanley Eitzen in Elite Deviance, say that 138 appointees of the Reagan administration either resigned under an ethical cloud or were criminally indicted. Curiously Haynes Johnson uses the same figure but with a different standard in "Sleep-Walking Through History: America in the Reagan Years: "By the end of his term, 138 administration officials had been convicted, had been indicted, or had been the subject of official investigations for official misconduct and/or criminal violations."

Four members of the Reagan cabinet came under criminal investiation, as compared with five in the Clinton cabinet. Three top officials of the Harding administration were in indicted in the Teapot Dome scandal.

The Reagan administration had secret plans for an unconstitutional takeover of the federal government under an ill-defined national emergency. Members of the government created by the coup had been selected and included Richard Cheney.

Reagan's decision to send troops to Lebanon cost 241 lives. As the NY Times noted recently, "Mr. Reagan's decision to send marines to Lebanon was disastrous and his invasion of Grenada pure melodrama."

During the Reagan administration the number of families living below the poverty line increased by one-third.

Reagan's policies led to the greatest financial scandal in American history: the Savings & Loan debacle which cost taxpayers billions of dollars.

Julian Bond, president of the NAACP: "He was a polarizing figure in black America. He was hostile to the generally accepted remedies for discrimination. His appointments were of people as equally hostile. I can't think of any Reagan policy that African Americans would embrace."

Reagan made major cuts in Medicaid, food stamps, aid to families with dependent children, and school lunch programs.

Reagan fired 13,000 air traffic controllers in a devasting blow to government union members from which the labor movement never recovered.

Washington Post: "Reagan, during his 1980 campaign, blamed trees for emitting 93 percent of the nation's nitrogen oxide pollution -- giving rise to jokes about 'killer trees.'"

The national debt tripled under Reagan

The AIDS crisis exploded (with 20,000 deaths) before Reagan could even bring himself to address the issue six years later. In his authorized biography he is quoted as saying that "maybe the Lord brought down this plague," because "illicit sex is against the Ten Commandments."

Washington Post: "The administration in 1984 secretly sold arms to Iran -- which the United States considered a supporter of terrorism -- to raise cash for Nicaraguan contra rebels, despite a congressional ban on support for the Latin American insurgency. An independent investigation concluded that the arms sales to Iran operations "were carried out with the knowledge of, among others, President Ronald Reagan [and] Vice President George Bush," and that "large volumes of highly relevant, contemporaneously created documents were systematically and willfully withheld from investigators by several Reagan Administration officials." . . . Lawrence E. Walsh, the independent counsel who ran the inquiry, said there was "no credible evidence" that Reagan broke the law, but he set the stage for the illegal activities of others. Impeachment, Walsh said, "certainly should have been considered."

His administration was responsible for numerous brutal actions in Latin America, including massacres in El Salvador and the war against Nicaragua.

The claim that Reagan won the Cold War is pure rightwing propaganda. The Soviet Union had long been far weaker than many American leaders knew, or wished to acknowledge, thanks to CIA gross overestimates of its economy. The Soviet Union was brought down by a number of factors including the inherent weaknesses of dictatorship and ethnic divides that eventually forced its breakup.

William Blum: "[George Kennan], the former US ambassador to the Soviet Union, and father of the theory of 'containment' of the same country, asserts that 'the suggestion that any United States administration had the power to influence decisively the course of a tremendous domestic political upheaval in another great country on another side of the globe is simply childish.' He contends that the extreme militarization of American policy strengthened hard-liners in the Soviet Union. 'Thus the general effect of Cold War extremism was to delay rather than hasten the great change that overtook the Soviet Union.'"

After a major tax cut, there was a long recession and unemployment that hit ten percent.

Bill Press - "It was Reagan who first proposed a missile defense system -- immediately dubbed "Star Wars" by skeptical reporters -- in a March 23, 1983 speech from the Oval Office. However, as Frances Fitzgerald reveals in her brilliant history "Way Out There in the Blue," Reagan didn't get his plan from the scientists or the generals. The Pentagon wasn't even notified of his speech ahead of time. Reagan stole Star Wars directly from -- the movies.

In 1940, appearing in the Warner Brothers thriller "Murder in the Air," Reagan played an American secret agent charged with protecting a super weapon that could strike all enemy planes from the air. Seed planted in Reagan's brain. Then in 1966, Alfred Hitchcock released a Reagan favorite, "Torn Curtain," in which American agent Paul Newman works on developing an anti-missile missile. In words that must have made Ronnie tingle, Newman's character asserts: "We will produce a defensive weapon that will make all nuclear weapons obsolete, and thereby abolish the terror of nuclear warfare." Sound familiar? Reagan used almost the exact words in selling missile defense from the office, 17 years later.

More concerning Ronnie's so-called "greatness" -

http://prorev.com/reagan.htm

chefmike
04-08-2008, 10:18 AM
As for Reagan's predecessor,the Baptist bullshit artist Jimmy Carter,you can thank his sorry ass for the current wave of Islamofascism.

You really fell out of the stupid tree and hit every branch on the way down, didn't you son?

"The legacy of Reagan's policies in the Middle East, meanwhile, are still being paid for - in blood. The cynical promotion of Islamic fundamentalism as a weapon against the Soviets in Afghanistan, the alliance of convenience with Saddam Hussein against Iran, the forging of a new "strategic relationship" with Israel, the corrupt dealings with the House of Saud, and (perhaps most ironic, given Reagan's tough guy image) the weakness and indecision of his disastrous intervention in Beruit - all of these helped set the stage for what the neo-cons now like to call World War IV, and badly weakened the geopolitical ability of the United States to wage that war."

tstv_lover
04-08-2008, 11:04 AM
Wow, this thread has been completely hijacked!

I feel like a spectator at a tennis match. Everyone has such strong, fixed views and completely opposing views on Regan's contributions. Don't think I've seen such entirely different positions before, backed up by supporting evidence.

Is this simply a case of Democrats vs Republicans or is there some explanation why there are 2 totally different views on recent history? (apart from "the other guy's talking a crock of shit"!)

chefmike
04-08-2008, 12:01 PM
Wow, this thread has been completely hijacked!

I feel like a spectator at a tennis match. Everyone has such strong, fixed views and completely opposing views on Regan's contributions. Don't think I've seen such entirely different positions before, backed up by supporting evidence.

Is this simply a case of Democrats vs Republicans or is there some explanation why there are 2 totally different views on recent history?
(apart from "the other guy's talking a crock of shit"!)

There is fact and there is fiction.

The fact is that Ronnie's "greatness" is a lie and a myth created by the right that is easily debunked by the facts. Facts such as those that myself and others have posted in this now hijacked thread.

As for Charles Heston, I think that he was a mediocre B-movie actor.

Like Reagan.

chefmike
04-08-2008, 12:17 PM
GEORGE W. BUSH: "I learned more from Ronald Reagan than from anyone ..."

Well that explains a lot, doesn't it?

Reagan's legacy? Let's see...

"The firing of the air traffic controllers, winnable nuclear war, trees that cause pollution, Elliott Abrams lying to Congress, ketchup as a vegetable, public housing cutbacks, getting cozy with Argentine fascist generals, tax credits for segregated schools, disinformation campaigns, "homeless by choice," Manuel Noriega, falling wages, "constructive engagement" with apartheid South Africa, the invasion of Grenada, assassination manuals, drug tests, the S&L scandal, silence on AIDS, food-stamp reductions, Ed Meese ("You don't have many suspects who are innocent of a crime"), massacres in El Salvador, $640 Pentagon toilet seats, William Casey, Iran/contra, Robert Bork, naps, Teflon..."

"Ronald Reagan must be the nicest president who ever destroyed a union, tried to cut school lunch milk rations from six to four ounces, and compelled families in need of public help to first dispose of household goods in excess of $1,000...1f there is an authoritarian regime in the American future, Ronald Reagan is tailored to the image of a friendly fascist."

SugaSweet
04-08-2008, 04:00 PM
chefmike,I do not feel sorry for frustrated Marxist such as yourself.Interest rates dropped steadily after 1981.Many of the cottage industry social programs for junkies and welfare recipients sort of went to the wayside during his administration because of the increase in jobs.Jimmy Carter,the Baptist bullshit artist was one of the major hawks early on in the Vietnam War,a fact sidestepped by the media.The first election I was able to vote in was 1976 and I pushed the button for Jimmy.I was more than happy yo get rid of his sorry ass in 1980.I am sure you are on high caffeine right now chefmike,particularly with the Olympic torch being such a hot item.Perhaps they should move the torch run from San Fran to Hollywood today,as they could find no shortage of actors and actresses who agree with the bosses in Peking to carry the banner for Communism.

That_1_Guy
04-08-2008, 04:32 PM
This thread really shows the ignorance on this board...what ashame. Next chefmike is going to tell everyone that BJ Bill Clinton was a great president and was the reason why the economy was so "great" in the 90's. :roll:

trish
04-08-2008, 04:45 PM
I was just wondering, what DID Bush DO with the ten year budgetary surplus that accumulated during the Clinton years that Clinton didn't have anything what-so-ever to with? After all, only 7 years have past. We should still have three years of surplus left. Oh that's right, instead of putting it in a "lock box" for social security, he gave it back to the 5% of the wealthiest Americans in tax breaks. Then he threw trillions down the toilet (read Haliburton and associates) in Iraq and billed your grandchildren.

Oh yeah, this is a thread about C. Heston. Let's see. He starred in Ben Hur, The Ten Commendments, Planet of the Apes, Omega Man. Did he ever do any non-fiction?

chefmike
04-08-2008, 05:33 PM
I was just wondering, what DID Bush DO with the ten year budgetary surplus that accumulated during the Clinton years that Clinton didn't have anything what-so-ever to with? After all, only 7 years have past. We should still have three years of surplus left. Oh that's right, instead of putting it in a "lock box" for social security, he gave it back to the 5% of the wealthiest Americans in tax breaks. Then he threw trillions down the toilet (read Haliburton and associates) in Iraq and billed your grandchildren.

Yet all the right can do is continue to blather on about how Clinton got his dicked sucked in the Oval Office. The same Oval Office that Bush promised to restore honor to.... :roll:

Oli
04-08-2008, 05:46 PM
Oh yeah, this is a thread about C. Heston. Let's see. He starred in Ben Hur, The Ten Commendments, Planet of the Apes, Omega Man. Did he ever do any non-fiction?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Sp-VFBbjpE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1iuEcu7O50

SugaSweet
04-08-2008, 08:19 PM
Well lets face it.Bush is the best President Mexico and Israel have ever had!It we want to fix Social Security,send the check to Mexico for the 20 billion a year WE spend in medical,wics,and inmate subsidies.The problems in the Middle East are no different under Bush than any president since 1948.Two percent of our population is 98% of our foreign policy.Do I need to expand on that reality?Whoever replaces Bush with bow down to the Israeli lobby and allow Mexico to flush their excrement in our direction.Why don't we get unwed,unemployed mothers to be and take them by the bus and train loads to Tijuana.They can then squat down and extract their illegitimate bastards and let them be covered with muy pesos til age eighteen.Heston lost a lot of movie roles because he walked with Dr King,Baldwin and others.

trish
04-08-2008, 09:00 PM
The problems in the Middle East are no different under Bush than any president since 1948. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Oh gosh!... :lol: :lol: :lol: I can't quit laughing :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Silcc69
04-08-2008, 10:50 PM

So the Ten Commendments is fiction to you?

trish
04-08-2008, 11:43 PM
Parting the Red Sea, talking bushes, lightning writing the laws of land on stone tablets, and wizards turning their canes into snakes isn't fiction?!! Seems like an early cross between Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings.

chefmike
04-09-2008, 05:07 AM

So the Ten Commendments is fiction to you?

Pretty much everything in the bible is fiction as far as I'm concerned...the same goes for the Koran and any other books of religious fairy tales.

Cuchulain
04-09-2008, 05:39 AM
Actually, 'Touch of Evil' and 'Will Penny' were pretty good films. As a sci-fi buff, I even enjoyed 'The Omega Man' although the cheesy soundtrack gets stuck in my head every time I hear it. 'Soylent Green' was worthwhile just to see Edward G Robinson's final role.

A tip o' the hat to Heston for his principled stance on civil rights....and a swift kick in the seat of the pants for helping to put the likes of Newt Gingrich, Tom Delay, Georgie Bush and DICK Cheney in positions of power.

Realgirls4me
04-09-2008, 06:21 AM
Well lets face it.Bush is the best President Mexico and Israel have ever had!It we want to fix Social Security,send the check to Mexico for the 20 billion a year WE spend in medical,wics,and inmate subsidies.The problems in the Middle East are no different under Bush than any president since 1948.Two percent of our population is 98% of our foreign policy.Do I need to expand on that reality?Whoever replaces Bush with bow down to the Israeli lobby and allow Mexico to flush their excrement in our direction.Why don't we get unwed,unemployed mothers to be and take them by the bus and train loads to Tijuana.They can then squat down and extract their illegitimate bastards and let them be covered with muy pesos til age eighteen.Heston lost a lot of movie roles because he walked with Dr King,Baldwin and others.

This idiot's bigotry drives, and therefore nullifies, anything he might have to say or add on immigration issues, no matter how accurate, significant, or relevant it might be. Said bigotry seeps out of every pour and fiber of his trailer trash existence. How about that, an ignorant right-wing bigot spouting myth, bigotry, and ignorance in a forum where myth, bigotry and ignorance have spawned discrimination and marginalization toward many who frequent this forum based solely on their sexual preferences and/or orientation. ...The irony obviously escapes him.

SugaSweet
04-09-2008, 06:40 AM
Realgirls4me,it is easy to see you are the real bigot.I guess the other real bigots are Statisticians.Yo no se,senora.Yo nos se por que,pero :the truth hurts.Why shouldn't the US demand retribution for all the money going into a sinkhole.Mexico is the fifth wealthiest nation per capita in the world.Why do they take care of their own people?As for Israel and Iraq,there is not one damn thing about either country worth a single American life.Again,to the point on Heston:look at how many movies he made between the mid 60's and mid 70's.Someone is going to tell me his lack of work offers was not do to racists who disliked his stand on civil rights?Bullshit.We have very few trailor parks here,by the way.Most of the trailers have been hauled to California for the few unfortunate souls who have not escaped to Nevada and Arizona.

SugaSweet
04-09-2008, 06:41 AM
Realgirls4me,it is easy to see you are the real bigot.I guess the other real bigots are Statisticians.Yo no se,senora.Yo nos se por que,pero :the truth hurts.Why shouldn't the US demand retribution for all the money going into a sinkhole.Mexico is the fifth wealthiest nation per capita in the world.Why do they take care of their own people?As for Israel and Iraq,there is not one damn thing about either country worth a single American life.Again,to the point on Heston:look at how many movies he made between the mid 60's and mid 70's.Someone is going to tell me his lack of work offers was not do to racists who disliked his stand on civil rights?Bullshit.We have very few trailor parks here,by the way.Most of the trailers have been hauled to California for the few unfortunate souls who have not escaped to Nevada and Arizona.

El Nino
04-09-2008, 06:48 AM
21-gun salute for Charlton Heston

http://www.infowars.com/?p=1390

El Nino
04-09-2008, 06:49 AM
Interview of the Late Charlton

http://www.infowars.com/?p=1318

tstv_lover
04-09-2008, 11:16 AM
Parting the Red Sea, talking bushes, lightning writing the laws of land on stone tablets, and wizards turning their canes into snakes isn't fiction?!! Seems like an early cross between Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings.

Stepping on dangerous ground there Trish. Everyone knows that LOTR is true. You should come visit Middle Earth :)

irvin66
04-09-2008, 05:42 PM
I am supporter of the NRA!! Guns are cool!!! :claps :rock2

trish
04-09-2008, 09:10 PM
Everyone knows that LOTR is true. You should come visit Middle Earth Smile

thanks for the invitation, tstv_lover. i aways wondered what it'd be like to make love to a hobbit or three.

Quinn
04-09-2008, 09:55 PM
Why shouldn't the US demand retribution for all the money going into a sinkhole.

I believe the word you were looking for was "restitution," not retribution.

Mexico is the fifth wealthiest nation per capita in the world.

Though the thrust of what I assume your argument to be is correct – that Mexico is actually a fairly wealthy nation – it is by no means "the fifth wealthiest nation per capita in the world." Additionally, you failed to specify what means you are using to measure per capita wealth (GDP, GNP, GNI, etc.). Regardless, it’s not even close.

-Quinn

Falrune
04-09-2008, 11:32 PM
R.I.P.

trish
04-10-2008, 02:04 AM
Well I don’t know if I’d use the word “cool” to describe guns. Certainly I wouldn’t use it to describe all guns indiscriminately. I don’t have a wide experience with firearms, but I have first hand experience with my grandfather’s Remington 30 ought 6. I haven’t sourced this story, but I was told that before him, this very weapon was used by an American soldier in the Spanish-American War. True or not, since then this rifle has been used to hunt deer in the Alleghenies. As I remember it (it’s been awhile since I handled it) it holds five rounds in the clip and one in the chamber. One operates the bolt action by hand. The action removes the spent shell from the chamber and cocks the rifle on the back stroke, and slides a new round into the chamber on the forward stroke. In this sense only one round can be fired at a time. One trigger pull, one bullet fired. Then you have to pull the bolt back and drive it forward and locked before firing again. Being a mathematician and a physicist I confess to a certain admiration of this well-crafted machine. I see no reason why trained and licensed citizens shouldn’t have the right to own a few rifles for hunting, sport or just the love of ownership. Still, even this awkward old rifle was used as a weapon and may have taken human lives. Gun-ownership is not only a right granted by the second amendment (in the U.S.) it also involves serious responsibility. I’m in favor of licensing, registration and reasonable restrictions on the types of firearms citizens can own. I’m in favor of laws that hold gun-owners responsible for their weapons. They should never be allowed, for example, to fall into the hands of unsupervised children. They should have trigger guards and they should never be stored loaded.

It amuses me that the perennial objection to gun-registration is, “when the commies take over they’re gonna know who owns guns.” I doubt very much we have to worry about such a scenario, but if I wanted to know who in the U.S. owns a gun, I would start by downloading the membership list of the NRA.

It just seems to me spokespersons like C. Heston come off way too paranoid. The paranoia of the NRA does little to make me feel confident that I can trust these people with guns…guns of all things…in the hands of paranoids! If the NRA would drop the scare tactics and start talking about reasonable ways for a society to live with and own guns, they would do their cause some good. As it is, the NRA divides and undermines its own objective: to safe-guard the second amendment.

LoneWolf
04-10-2008, 08:30 AM
Charlton Heston a fascist? Please.

LoneWolf
04-10-2008, 08:40 AM
wikipedia.org

Heston campaigned for Presidential candidate Adlai Stevenson in 1956 and John F. Kennedy in 1960.[16] Reportedly when an Oklahoma movie theater premiering his movie El Cid was segregated, he joined a picket line outside in 1961.[17] Heston makes no reference to this in his autobiography, but describes traveling to Oklahoma City to picket segregated restaurants, much to the chagrin of Allied Artists, the producers of El Cid.[18] During the civil rights march held in Washington, D.C. in 1963, he accompanied Martin Luther King Jr. In later speeches, Heston said he helped the civil rights cause, "long before Hollywood found it fashionable."[19]

trish
04-10-2008, 04:41 PM
See, exactly as I said: Sane people are against gun-ownership. They just don't want insane paranoid lonewolves to have them.

TAKE GUNS OUT OF THE HANDS OF THE PARANOID INSANE!

LoneWolf
04-11-2008, 01:39 AM
Sane people are against gun-ownership.
Sometimes it's hard to argue with gun control people and their compelling, mature, well-thought arguments.

trish
04-11-2008, 03:50 AM
okay, here's my stance on gun-control quoted directly from above:

Well I don’t know if I’d use the word “cool” to describe guns. Certainly I wouldn’t use it to describe all guns indiscriminately. I don’t have a wide experience with firearms, but I have first hand experience with my grandfather’s Remington 30 ought 6. I haven’t sourced this story, but I was told that before him, this very weapon was used by an American soldier in the Spanish-American War. True or not, since then this rifle has been used to hunt deer in the Alleghenies. As I remember it (it’s been awhile since I handled it) it holds five rounds in the clip and one in the chamber. One operates the bolt action by hand. The action removes the spent shell from the chamber and cocks the rifle on the back stroke, and slides a new round into the chamber on the forward stroke. In this sense only one round can be fired at a time. One trigger pull, one bullet fired. Then you have to pull the bolt back and drive it forward and locked before firing again. Being a mathematician and a physicist I confess to a certain admiration of this well-crafted machine. I see no reason why trained and licensed citizens shouldn’t have the right to own a few rifles for hunting, sport or just the love of ownership. Still, even this awkward old rifle was used as a weapon and may have taken human lives. Gun-ownership is not only a right granted by the second amendment (in the U.S.) it also involves serious responsibility. I’m in favor of licensing, registration and reasonable restrictions on the types of firearms citizens can own. I’m in favor of laws that hold gun-owners responsible for their weapons. They should never be allowed, for example, to fall into the hands of unsupervised children. They should have trigger guards and they should never be stored loaded.

It amuses me that the perennial objection to gun-registration is, “when the commies take over they’re gonna know who owns guns.” I doubt very much we have to worry about such a scenario, but if I wanted to know who in the U.S. owns a gun, I would start by downloading the membership list of the NRA.

It just seems to me spokespersons like C. Heston come off way too paranoid. The paranoia of the NRA does little to make me feel confident that I can trust these people with guns…guns of all things…in the hands of paranoids! If the NRA would drop the scare tactics and start talking about reasonable ways for a society to live with and own guns, they would do their cause some good. As it is, the NRA divides and undermines its own objective: to safe-guard the second amendment.

at a loss to counter it, you chose to mock it in pictographic form as follows:

Which is the mature one again?