PDA

View Full Version : London bombings

LG
07-07-2005, 04:40 PM
My heart goes out to the victim's families.

I have been to London several times and used all of the stations that have been attacked, I have friends in London and have learnt to love the city. What happened was a tragedy and a shock to all, coming a day after London won the bid to host the 2012 Olympics. Jubilation has turned to tragedy as Londoners free the trapped, count the dead, heal the wounded and strive to rebuild.

Today everyone of us should be with those people, heart and mind and soul. Today we are all Londoners.

For the news from BBC, click here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/

For the latest news on London go here:

http://news.google.com/news?q=london&hl=en&lr=&sa=N&tab=nn&oi=newsr

Ecstatic
07-07-2005, 05:44 PM
Well said, LG. I am shocked and dismayed by these cowardly attacks. I too have friends in London and visited the city often when I attended Trinity College Oxford in 1980.

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
07-07-2005, 06:38 PM
Cowards strike again..................
nuff said

Quinn
07-07-2005, 07:44 PM
I’ve had some fantastic times in London and have great friends over there. As always, they will certainly keep a stiff upper lip. It's in their character not to surrender to anything; they’re not the French or the Spanish....

rick_932
07-08-2005, 12:52 AM
i kinda had a feelin somethin like this would happen during the G8 meeting, but no clue where. it sucks that at a time when the "leaders" of the 8 most powerful countries get together to discuss how to make the world better, especially africa, shit like this happens. im really pissed right now

geekmeat
07-08-2005, 01:06 AM
As a former military man who served in the gulf in 1991-1992 I was as disturbed by this cowardly attack as the one in NYC.
I am a VERY liberal person.
Im a registered green party member.
I have taken part in MANY protest actions and dispise this president.
However......my tolerance towards religion in general and the islamic religion in particular is fading fast.
I saw pictures of people who were burned to a crisp this morning and it disgusted me.
My heart goes out to the families and the victims.....

Realgirls4me
07-08-2005, 05:27 AM
Althought my heart goes out to the people of London, and, yes, we are all Londeners today, is this just not a case of the chickens coming home to roost ? Is anyone with half a brain really shocked ? We went into the mideast to stir a hornet's nest, and boy we did it. Tony Blair wanted to go along with our dunce-in-charge and illegally attack a country that had done nothing to this country, and now he is bearing the fruit of his decision.

Lessee, 40 in London killed today, and some 3000 Americans on 9/11, compared to up to a quarter of a million Iraqis killed during the first Gulf War and the subsequent US driven embargo which followed. Depending on the source, anywhere from 25,000 up to 100,000 Iraqis have been killed in this current quagmire ... Yeah, I would say they're just about even.

"Thanks" to the motherfucker (dubya) who started this war, the western world will know no peace for generations to come.

Realgirls4me
07-08-2005, 06:34 AM
... but ur gonna blame the death of innocent people on our moron in office?

I'm going to do you a favor and let your personal attack of me go this time, but it is the epitome of ignorance to believe that the United States does not share the blame in this. We can cite history inside-out as far as how religious zealotry mainfests itself and the millions that have fell victim to it, but don't excuse the role that this country, or other western countries, have had in that region. They don't hate Americans, they hate our policies and our meddling, and I'll be damned if I'm going to go along with this administration's cleverly simplistic and digestable line of how they hate us for our liberties and freedoms, nor will I ignore the fact that terrorism has gone threefold up since the moron-in-charge rah-rahhed this country into going to war with a third world country that had done nothing to us. The petri dishes of hatred for this country for generations to come was started by none other than George W Bush, not by some religious kook strapping a bomb to himself, fueled by a dogma.

By the way, do you ever feel for the tens of thousands we, the US, have killed ?

LG
07-08-2005, 09:43 AM
J said:
i love everyone and can tolerate almost anything, except subjective morality, which is what ALL religions preach!!!

Not really. Subjective morality is taught by the religious, those who preach their own skewed ideas of what is right and wrong. The essence of most religions, the one thing that lies at their heart, is love.

I agree with you that religion has proven a bad thing for society. Christians, Muslims and Jews have killed and have been killed in the name of religion.

Realgirls4me said:
it is the epitome of ignorance to believe that the United States does not share the blame in this.

Unfortunately, I have to agree on this one. America's foreign policy is a huge part of the problem. America is at the same time the most loved and the most hated country in the world. But it's not just GW Bush- although he may be the worst president the US has ever had, in my opinion- but a succession of US governments that have backed dictators, overthrown governments, sent innocent Americans to foreign lands to kill other, often innocent people.

I'll concede however that extremists have badly read the scriptures (all scriptures) and that the concept of the jihad leaves itself open to the simple interpretation of a fight against the non-believers (rather than an inner struggle against the ego, which is an interpretation given to the term by many Muslim mystics). And I'll also concede that Islam is probably the most intolerant of religions.

But maybe had the US and its allies not invaded Iraq, this would never have happened. As it turns out, and I'm sure you've all heard, there were no weapons of mass destruction. And the US and UK knew this before they attacked.

goldtop
07-08-2005, 11:36 AM
Its very simple.....if everybody gave a shit about other people just a little bit more than they do, attacks and wars would be swept away.

It took me about 20 years to work this out, but them im not that bright

geekmeat
07-13-2005, 06:35 AM
Everyone says that radical islam is the problem .....and it is......but it isnt the sole problem here.
We are reliving the days of slavery and the slaughter of the indians and you know what?
Thats ok with us and thats part of the problem.
Imperialism......
Might makes right.........and im afraid to say......white supremacy.
All of us have said in reaction to histories attrocities "How could they have let that happen?".
Well.......we just let an imperialistic war happen......just like people let the holocaust happen and other attrocities.
In the mesaage widely quoted in the newsmedia by the perpatraters of the london bombing it is said to condemn the "Zionist crusaders".
We are exactly that.
No one denies that this scheme to go to Iraq was devised by the "neocons".
Soon after the 9/11 attacks our president spoke of a "crusade"......go check it out...
How many of you know that the "new" Iraqi constitution was written in the united states by a jewish gentleman......I forget his name but can obtain it with a little research......it is not a secret.
Mister paul bremmer the first ruler of Iraq post invasion is also jewish......the iraqis and other muslims know this and it outrages them.
Iraq is crawling with mossad agents right now.
Why is that?
I am against killing on all sides......but we have all seen our government commit a great wrong and we have done nothing about it.
There is a document....you can get it online called "PNAC".....project for new american century...it was written by the "neocons" years ago......these are the people that are leaders in our government.
It fortold all of this and its playing out like a hollywood script.

NuclearError
07-13-2005, 06:19 PM
Excuse me, but 8 years of ignorance and liberalism got us into this Middle East mess to begin with.

Despite what you think we are now facing it head on and making progress.