PDA

View Full Version : French woman who sought euthanasia dies (Dr. Death again?)

BrendaQG
03-20-2008, 01:09 PM
French woman who sought euthanasia dies
(http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080320/ap_on_re_eu/france_euthanasia)
By MIKAEL HOLTER, Associated Press WriterThu Mar 20, 12:37 AM ET

A woman who suffered from a painful facial tumor and had drawn headlines across France with her quest for doctor-assisted suicide was found dead Wednesday, an official said.

Chantal Sebire, a former schoolteacher and mother of three, was found at her home in the eastern French town of Plombieres-les-Dijon, a government official said on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the matter publicly. The circumstances of her death were not immediately clear.

Sebire, 52, was diagnosed nearly eight years ago with esthesioneuroblastoma, a rare form of cancer. The illness left her blind, and with no sense of smell or taste, her lawyer said. She could not use morphine to ease the intense eye pain because of the side effects.

On Monday, a court in the city of Dijon rejected Sebire's request to be allowed to receive a lethal dose of barbiturates under a doctor's supervision. It refused the request for doctor-assisted suicide because of French law and out of concern for medical ethics.

Sebire's case revived a debate in France about the right to die. She received national attention after the media published heartbreaking before-and-after pictures that made her suffering instantly apparent. The tumor had burrowed through her sinuses and nasal cavities, causing her nose to swell to several times its original size, and pushing one of her eyes out of her head.

Unlike in France, euthanasia is legal in both Belgium and the Netherlands, and Luxembourg is in the process of passing a law to allow it. In Switzerland, counselors or physicians can prepare the lethal dose, but patients must take it on their own.

Sounds like Dr. Kevokian to me. Though I'm sure their are plenty of other possibilities. :-?

Personally I think euthanasia is a reprehensible idea. Their is always a better way out than death. It just may not be the easy way out. Like the woman in this story. Their would have to be someway a surgeon could fix that without killing her. If not a cure perhaps a way to make life more bearable.

So sad.

chefmike
03-20-2008, 03:06 PM
I strongly disagree. I think anyone who is against a person's right to a dignified death(and an end to their suffering) by euthanasia is living in the dark ages.

BrendaQG
03-20-2008, 03:45 PM
I never said their ought to be a law against it. I just personally find it reprehensible.

trish
03-20-2008, 05:27 PM
I have to agree with Chefmike on this one. Just who in this situation do you find reprehensible. The woman who made the decision to die is the one person best situated to evaluate the worth of continued survival.

Quinn
03-20-2008, 05:36 PM
I strongly disagree. I think anyone who is against a person's right to a dignified death(and an end to their suffering) by euthanasia is living in the dark ages.

I couldn't agree more.

-Quinn

El Nino
03-21-2008, 12:45 AM
Agreed

BrendaQG
03-21-2008, 04:54 AM
What I find reprehensible is the act of committing suicide. I don't care about the "reason". It is simply taking the easy way out. Life is worth more than that.

Now I don't know the woman as a person to be able to say that "she is reprehensible". Her action is another story. You say she was suffering. Many people suffer not many kill themselves. [i]Those who suffer and are living are who I really feel for. They can be helped, perhaps made to feel better someday.[i]

People who have decided to die aren't worth even the emotion. I mean, hey, they want to kill themselves, they think themselves so worthless as to end it all.

chefmike
03-21-2008, 06:40 AM
Who are you to judge this woman? It's very easy for you to be so smug and judgemental when you haven't suffered through what she has. You also haven't suffered through what many others did who desperately wanted nothing more than an end to their horrible suffering. You haven't walked a mile in their moccasins, and I daresay you wouldn't want to.

El Nino
03-21-2008, 07:02 AM
Once Again, I agree with the Chef. Brenda's response IS smug, by definition of the word.

trish
03-21-2008, 07:05 AM
What makes you think choosing suicide is easier than choosing to live? I imagine it takes courage and strength of character to even face that decision honestly and to follow through with one's decision, no matter what that decision is. The easy course is to avoid thinking about the choices available to you and just place your fate in the hands of your doctors.

hippifried
03-22-2008, 02:18 AM
I don't care if people kill themselves, as long as they make prior arrangements to clean up the mess. There's no reason to go out being inconsiderate.

BrendaQG
03-23-2008, 09:03 AM
Heh. Yeah. At least save up the money for your own cremation/burial before pulling the tirgger.

chefmike
03-23-2008, 05:01 PM
Heh. Yeah. At least save up the money for your own cremation/burial before pulling the tirgger.

You continue to be as smug and self-righteous as you have been throughout this entire thread. At least you're consistent.

BrendaQG
03-24-2008, 03:42 PM
Everyone has a right to an opinion of their own.

At least that's what I belive. I guess Marxist-Leninist like you don't agree with that.

As far as I am concerned....
Doctor assisted suicide==Suicide bombing=={Anything that involves killing another human being outside of combatants in justified warfare}==WRONG!

If thinking that those things are all equally bad (though each for different reasons) is self righteous then so be it.

chefmike
03-24-2008, 09:24 PM
If thinking that those things are all equally bad (though each for different reasons) is self righteous then so be it.

I think that's total gibberish, that's what I think.

And your lame attempt to paint me as a Marxist-Leninist is just as absurd and ridiculous as your sanctimonious and nonsensical opinions on euthanasia.

Oli
03-25-2008, 03:31 AM
Spelling corrections done be Oli

Everyone has a right to an opinion of their own.

At least that's what I believe. I guess Marxist-Leninist like you don't agree with that.

As far as I am concerned....
Doctor assisted suicide==Suicide bombing=={Anything that involves killing another human being outside of combatants in justified warfare}==WRONG!

Euthanasia and suicide bombing are equivalent? What the hell are you talking about?

In one case, an individual makes the decision to end their own life with the help of other people. In the other, a person decides to kill innocent civilians as they commit suicide in a sudden violent act. One is a personal choice that effects only the individual and their family, the other is a calculated terrorist attack on unsuspecting people.

If you see those two events as equal, you really need to re-examine your morals.

trish
03-25-2008, 04:30 AM
What the fuck are you doing Oli...using communistic dialectic to obstruct our right to choose to believe in unsupported opinions???

Oli
03-25-2008, 04:48 AM
What the fuck are you doing Oli...using communistic dialectic to obstruct our right to choose to believe in unsupported opinions???

Stop using multisyllabic words vixen, the "educated" don't know what your saying.