PDA

View Full Version : The next time you see a cute little puppy in a store window

AllanahStarrNYC
03-17-2008, 11:07 AM
Remember they most likely came from a puppy mill! If you don't know what they are- then you need to click on the link below to find out.

If you are thinking of getting a dog- PLEASE consider a rescue or make sure its a legit breeder.

If not this is what you are supporting:

(Caution: Graphic Animal Cruelty)

http://www.prisonersofgreed.org/

http://stoppuppymills.org/

I now realize that both my dogs came from puppy mills. Mind you, the I asked the store- but I never asked to see the paper work. They all lie about this stuff. You must ask to see the paper work of where your dog is coming from!

tstv_lover
03-17-2008, 11:19 AM
Thanks for starting this thread. In addition to the "puppy mill" issue, we also see too many people buying puppies on a whim without considering the long-term responsibilities associated with owning a puppy.
Who looks after it when you go on vacation?
Who takes it for walks when the novelty wears off?

A dog can be your greatest friend...but think carefully before buying.

Wombat
03-17-2008, 12:28 PM
Wow! Something else for my investment portfolio.

It will go great with my kitten, budgie and mininature pig mill portfolios...

Yours horribly,

Sir Reginald Bastard

chefmike
03-17-2008, 07:10 PM
I'm glad that you've brought up the issue of puppy mills versus rescuing a dog that needs a good home, Allanah. There are also foster dog programs in most places that allow you to keep a dog who would otherwise be put down(killed) until the dog can be matched with a good home. There are certain requirements that have to met when fostering a dog regarding your home or living space, but it's very rewarding if you are a dog lover. I am currently fostering two dogs in addition to taking care of my dog. When the foster dogs are placed with a good home, I take one or two more. It's always sad to see them go but it is also immensely rewarding to see them find a permanent home with people who love them.

AllanahStarrNYC
03-17-2008, 07:28 PM
Thanks for starting this thread. In addition to the "puppy mill" issue, we also see too many people buying puppies on a whim without considering the long-term responsibilities associated with owning a puppy.
Who looks after it when you go on vacation?
Who takes it for walks when the novelty wears off?

A dog can be your greatest friend...but think carefully before buying.

You are most definately right.

You have to ask yourself if you are going to be able to take care and provide for that animal every day for it's life.

It's very sad that puppies have become fashion accessories for some people like purses.

I've vowed never to buy another dog from a pet store again and not shop at stores that sell puppies because when doing so you are supporting puppy mills.

AllanahStarrNYC
03-17-2008, 07:29 PM
I'm glad that you've brought up the issue of puppy mills versus rescuing a dog that needs a good home, Allanah. There are also foster dog programs in most places that allow you to keep a dog who would otherwise be put down(killed) until the dog can be matched with a good home. There are certain requirements that have to met when fostering a dog regarding your home or living space, but it's very rewarding if you are a dog lover. I am currently fostering two dogs in addition to taking care of my dog. When the foster dogs are placed with a good home, I take one or two more. It's always sad to see them go but it is also immensely rewarding to see them find a permanent home with people who love them.

That is great what you are doing.

A lot people don't know about foster pet programs and it's a great thing to do if you can.

kalina
03-17-2008, 07:58 PM
I've always wondered about the farm that my chihuahua came from and the fake-looking birth certificate they give you at the pet store. I have ghastly visions of ugly, smelly men throwing all the puppies into a canvas bag, tying the bag up, throwing all the bags into a truck, and driving to all the pet stores to sell bags of dogs with fake birth certificates.

desolationangel
03-17-2008, 07:58 PM
Allanah,

I work at an animal hospital in Connecticut. One of our clients is a local store that gets its puppies from puppy mills. I have so many sad stories of puppies coming in from that store basically beyond the point of death. Some we're able to save, some die, and even some we've had to euthanize.

There's a Yorkshire terrier puppy who's been in three times. Each time, we send her back to the store in excellent health, having given her the love and care that puppies need, and then she comes right back because she's so tiny and they don't feed her enough. At the moment, we also have an Australian shepherd puppy (also malnourished) and a Havanese puppy (with pneumonia).

The worst case I've seen was a Coton du Tulear puppy with pneumonia that was sold to a couple. He was with the owners a week before they realized he was sick and brought him in. He spent a week on oxygen 24 hours a day but he was such a little fighter that he refused to give in. Sadly, his tiny body couldn't take anymore, and he passed away.

It makes all of us sick the way they treat their animals at the store. They are so gentle and innocent that it's unspeakably evil to inflict that kind of neglect on them. Unfortunately, there's not much we can do at my hospital. It isn't the puppies' fault that they're sick and we need to treat them. The problem is that the laws against animal cruelty are not nearly strict enough and that some people are willing to exploit animals for profit.

So anyone who's reading this - don't buy a puppy from a store unless you're absolutely certain that it was bred and raised in safe, humane conditions and that it wasn't separated from its mother too early. (That happens and can cause lifelong behavioral problems for the puppy.) Shelters are always getting in dogs and puppies that need love just as much as the ones you can buy in a store.

-Angel

cockgobbler
03-17-2008, 08:28 PM
Personally, I have always had the opinion that pet stores should not be allowed to sell dogs or cats.

There is a national chain of pet stores here in Canada (might be in the USA to, not sure), but they were selling kittens for $300.00!!!!. The price the charge for puppies is just as disgusting. You can go to the humane society and get a kitten for $50.00 - $70.00 with microchip ID, shots, and they have health guarantee. Or go to a rescue mission, some of which don't charge at all. My cousin and his family lost their dog, a beautiful Siberian Husky, and his little girls were really missing him, so they went to a rescue mission and found a 1 year old Alaskan Malamute which they got for nothing. The dog wasn't abused, he was a owner surrender because the guy got a job out of the country and could not take it with him.

Having said that, the Toronto Humane Society treats adopting an animal like you were adopting a child. I had 4 cats (now down to three, I lost one in January of this year due to kidney disease) and I wanted to give a home to another one, and because I have three, they refused to allow me to adopt another, saying the others may be upset by the new addition. Personally, I think they are more upset by the loss of their sister.

cockgobbler
03-17-2008, 08:32 PM
Double Post.

eggbert
03-17-2008, 10:26 PM
Just to add my two cents having been a dog owner for 13 years, I've found that the mixed breeds seem to take the best qualities of the pure breeds they come from. Anyone looking to own a dog, should go to their local shelter. There's usually a fee associated with covering the cost of shots and/or neutering, but that's it. Definitely the way to go. And please keep in mind that this is a 10-15 year commitment.

tstv_lover
03-18-2008, 09:55 AM

Props to you chefmike. It's good guys like you that keep dogs safe and placed with a good family. Awesome!

tstv_lover
03-18-2008, 09:58 AM
Allanah,

I work at an animal hospital in Connecticut. One of our clients is a local store that gets its puppies from puppy mills. I have so many sad stories of puppies coming in from that store basically beyond the point of death. Some we're able to save, some die, and even some we've had to euthanize.

There's a Yorkshire terrier puppy who's been in three times. Each time, we send her back to the store in excellent health, having given her the love and care that puppies need, and then she comes right back because she's so tiny and they don't feed her enough. At the moment, we also have an Australian shepherd puppy (also malnourished) and a Havanese puppy (with pneumonia).

The worst case I've seen was a Coton du Tulear puppy with pneumonia that was sold to a couple. He was with the owners a week before they realized he was sick and brought him in. He spent a week on oxygen 24 hours a day but he was such a little fighter that he refused to give in. Sadly, his tiny body couldn't take anymore, and he passed away.

It makes all of us sick the way they treat their animals at the store. They are so gentle and innocent that it's unspeakably evil to inflict that kind of neglect on them. Unfortunately, there's not much we can do at my hospital. It isn't the puppies' fault that they're sick and we need to treat them. The problem is that the laws against animal cruelty are not nearly strict enough and that some people are willing to exploit animals for profit.

So anyone who's reading this - don't buy a puppy from a store unless you're absolutely certain that it was bred and raised in safe, humane conditions and that it wasn't separated from its mother too early. (That happens and can cause lifelong behavioral problems for the puppy.) Shelters are always getting in dogs and puppies that need love just as much as the ones you can buy in a store.

-Angel

Is there no legislation covering animal cruelty of this nature? Can the SPCA get involved?