PDA

View Full Version : Transgender Microsoft Exec on ABC News Nightline

Shining Star
03-07-2008, 06:50 AM
Went from Michael to Megan while working at Microsoft. Wife, company and many others are quite supportive.

Twist, Megan has never been nor is currently attracted to men.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=4394493&page=1

Nowhere
03-07-2008, 07:07 AM
Still doesn't change the fact that 95% of American companies quietly get rid of all employees who transition through one excuse or another.

mischelle
03-07-2008, 08:00 AM
Still doesn't change the fact that 95% of American companies quietly get rid of all employees who transition through one excuse or another.

I personally hope and pray that will change someday, hopefully in my lifetime

tgirlzoe
03-07-2008, 11:43 PM
It's not that much of a twist. Many transsexuals are not attracted to men and identify as lesbians. Among late-transitioners, it's extremely common to be attracted to women and to have been married (some, like the person in the story, remain married).

HA only shows a small subset of the transsexual population. People like the woman in the story are very common as well.

Even on HA, not all of us are straight!

Wombat
03-08-2008, 04:08 AM

Are there no laws in the US to protect these people? You wouldn't get away with it here in Australia, especially if the dismissal was challenged in court.

Nowhere
03-08-2008, 04:28 AM

Are there no laws in the US to protect these people? You wouldn't get away with it here in Australia, especially if the dismissal was challenged in court.

In most places there are no laws. There was a recent bill, for non-discrimination (ENDA) but at transsexual-hating gay congressman dropped the trans part of it completely (it was vetoed by the president, anyway). This is why so many girls work the streets. They get fired from their legitimate jobs and the no one will rehire them. Their families abandon them and leave them for dead. That's how it goes in America, "land of the free..."

lilly_exohexoh
03-08-2008, 04:31 AM
crazy story. all in a year?

Wombat
03-08-2008, 04:43 AM
There was a recent bill, for non-discrimination (ENDA) but at transsexual-hating gay congressman dropped the trans part of it completely (it was vetoed by the president, anyway). This is why so many girls work the streets. They get fired from their legitimate jobs and the no one will rehire them. Their families abandon them and leave them for dead. That's how it goes in America, "land of the free..."

Thats a bullshit way of looking after your citizens mate. I can't say that there isn't discrimination here and that, for some girls at least, being a prostitute is their only source of income.

However I have met many transgenders who are working legitimate jobs here. Funnily enough most of them come from cultures were there is little or no stigma attached to their transgender identity, i.e. Polynesians and Asians.

hardharry585
03-08-2008, 06:15 AM
i saw this on gma the other day.

the wife sure as hell did not seem supportive on that interview. she was asked point-blank- if she knew her husband wanted to become transsexual, would she have married him- she said she no.

haha!

soulRipp
03-08-2008, 07:38 AM
In my whole life i never thought i would see a real live monster. by god i did but megan changed all that. The sad part some men and even some ts will say that megan is cute.

tstv_lover
03-08-2008, 08:32 AM
There was a recent bill, for non-discrimination (ENDA) but at transsexual-hating gay congressman dropped the trans part of it completely (it was vetoed by the president, anyway). This is why so many girls work the streets. They get fired from their legitimate jobs and the no one will rehire them. Their families abandon them and leave them for dead. That's how it goes in America, "land of the free..."

Thats a bullshit way of looking after your citizens mate. I can't say that there isn't discrimination here and that, for some girls at least, being a prostitute is their only source of income.

However I have met many transgenders who are working legitimate jobs here. Funnily enough most of them come from cultures were there is little or no stigma attached to their transgender identity, i.e. Polynesians and Asians.

It's absolutely illegal to disciminate on the basis of sexual-identify in New Zealand. Georgina Beyer, a transexual Member of Parliament, who enjoyed a colourful life including several years as a prostitute, introduced specific legislation based on the existing Human Rights Act.

http://www.maf.govt.nz/mafnet/publications/ruralbulletin/sep-04/sept-04.htm

However it's one thing to legislate and another to change attitudes. This is true for gays and lesbians as well as the transgender community, although I detect a great shift in attitudes, acceptance and respect over the past decade.

Several of my friends here (and I mean friends rather than sexual partners) are transsexuals working in leading public and private sector organisations. In New Zealand most of the transsexuals are polynesian. Prostitution is certainly an option, but far more transsexuals lead mainstream jobs.

Wombat
03-08-2008, 08:39 AM
It's absolutely illegal to disciminate on the basis of sexual-identify in New Zealand.

However it's one thing to legislate and another to change attitudes. This is true for gays and lesbians as well as the transgender community, although I detect a great shift in attitudes, acceptance and respect over the past decade.

Several of my friends here (and I mean friends rather than sexual partners) are transsexuals working in leading public and private sector organisations. In New Zealand most of the transsexuals are polynesian. Prostitution is certainly an option, but far more transsexuals lead mainstream jobs.

It is illegal to discriminate here in Australia too, but as you point out you can legislate all you want, it won't change community attitudes. It is changing for the better, but is a slow process.