PDA

View Full Version : Canada legalizes same sex marriages - third nation to do so

Ecstatic
06-29-2005, 04:28 PM
A major step forward in equal rights imho. This from the Vancouver Sun

Same-sex marriage law puts Canada at forefront of human rights

Vancouver Sun
June 29, 2005

After years of debate across the country, a federal election, a reference to the Supreme Court of Canada and court decisions in eight provinces and one territory, Canada has finally become the third country, after Belgium and the Netherlands, to legalize same-sex marriage.

Bill C-38, the Civil Marriage Act, passed third reading in the House of Commons on Tuesday by a vote of 158 to 133. The bill need only receive approval from the Senate -- a forgone conclusion -- and royal assent to become law.

The new law, which defines civil marriage as "the lawful union of two persons to the exclusion of all others," will remedy several longstanding problems. First, it will ensure that gays and lesbians are no longer second-class citizens by recognizing the equality of their relationships. Second, it will replace the previously intolerable situation, in which gays were allowed to marry in some provinces but not others, with a uniform framework across Canada.

Although those who oppose the law suggest it will be bad for Canada, same-sex marriages have been a reality in a number of Canadian jurisdictions, including British Columbia, for more than two years now, and the sky hasn't fallen.

Indeed, there's reason to believe the new law will be beneficial, not just for gays and lesbians, but for their children and for society, as it recognizes and formalizes the commitment of gays to take care of each other and their families.

And though it might not be readily apparent, the law will also enhance religious freedom. Although not all religious groups oppose the law -- in fact, the United Church, the second largest religious body in Canada, supports same-sex unions -- many were among its most vociferous opponents.

In addition to their belief that the government shouldn't formally recognize what they regard as sinful behaviour, many religious people fear that their churches will eventually be forced to perform gay marriages against their will.

These opponents proposed a variety of amendments to the bill to protect religious officials' right to refuse to perform gay marriages. But as the Supreme Court of Canada made clear in Reference re Same-Sex Marriage, those amendments are generally beyond the jurisdiction of Parliament, since the provinces have authority over the solemnization of marriage.

Nevertheless, the court also maintained that "the guarantee of religious freedom in s. 2(a) of the Charter is broad enough to protect religious officials from being compelled by the state to perform civil or religious same-sex marriages that are contrary to their religious beliefs."

The court further stated that churches could not be compelled to permit the use of church buildings for gay marriages or to otherwise assist in such unions.

Consequently, the new law actually broadens religious freedom because, while not infringing on the right of religions to refuse to perform gay marriages, it will make it possible for them to choose to sanctify same-sex marriages that are, for the first time, fully recognized in law.

This has been a contentious issue, and its resolution is one that does not sit well with many Canadians. That is something supporters of same-sex marriage should remain sensitive to in the coming years.

Today, however, Parliament is to be commended for passing a law that will enhance Canada's reputation as a human rights leader.

Lobo
06-29-2005, 09:21 PM
Same sex marriage has been legal in a few Canadian provinces for awhile now. This new federal law made it legal throughout the entire country.
A lot of couples come up from the States to get married here in Toronto. There were two guys from Israel that made the trip out here just to get married.
Not that their country will recognize it, but the couple said that getting married somewhere where they were accepted was what they were looking for.
Funny thing though, out of all the marriages that have been performed here, I haven't heard of even one that involved a t-girl.
It's been guys marrying guys or girls marrying girls, but no t-girls marrying anyone.
There's a church downtown with a gay priest that performs same sex marriages, and it's a real church not one of those strip mall justices of the peace. It's a classic old school cathedral, the whole nine yards.
I wonder how many t-girls realize that they can legally marry and even have it done in church by a priest and have it accepted and recognized by society.
I don't know if they would let her wear white though :wink:

rvince
06-29-2005, 10:50 PM
I was pretty sure same sex mariages were allowed in Iceland and Danemark too already?!

Ecstatic
06-30-2005, 01:57 AM
Lobo, that's right, several provinces have held same sex marriages legal for some time now. Canada is the largest country to do so nationally. Here in Massachusetts, as of May 7, 2005, there have been 6,142 same sex marriages, 2/3 of which are lesbian couples. 1,635 same sex couples were married within the first two weeks that the marriages were legalized, but only 148 in January and February of 2005. To my knowledge, none of the couples have been transgendered (either one or both partners identifying as transgendered); I have read analyzes of this arguing that the issue is rather different for the transgendered community (as we here know to be true) because, while the courts may identify an M2F TS as male, she herself would identify as female and therefore not consider herself in a same sex relationship altogether.

I think that Denmark and Iceland, along with France, Norway and Sweden, recognize forms of civil union between same sex couples rather than actual marriage. Spain is very close to legalizing same sex marriage, surprising for one of the most Catholic nations in Europe; there was recently a very vocal but minority opposition to the legislation which is being considered, but polls show that 2/3 of Spanish citizens favor equal rights, holding civil rights to supercede religious limitations.

Craig
10-05-2008, 06:20 AM
Give us Canadians our same sex marriages and our hydroponic weed and we are all happy. Well, except for Quebec......

tao1kiku
10-05-2008, 01:18 PM
Sorry, but old news. That's why so many Americans flock up to here during Gay Pride and get married.

scroller
10-05-2008, 05:10 PM
Funny thing though, out of all the marriages that have been performed here, I haven't heard of even one that involved a t-girl. It's been guys marrying guys or girls marrying girls, but no t-girls marrying anyone...

I wonder how many t-girls realize that they can legally marry and even have it done in church by a priest and have it accepted and recognized by society.

Cue some T's popping in to bitch us all out of why this thread is even on the site at all. The want to be women, not gay men, goddammit!