PDA

View Full Version : CA Supreme Court Hearing Same Sex Marriage Arguments Today!

justatransgirl
03-04-2008, 09:47 PM
I've been watching the CA Supreme Court today listen to arguments granting rights to same sex couples.

If you can get it on TV or web cast check it out. A point in our favor (my favor anyway) is the right wing plaintiff's attorney's seem to be morons, so far. Question dodging, and typical right wing BS answers.

In part their basis for denying same sex marriage is because it's "tradition." One of the judges pointed out that "tradition" involved denying blacks the right to vote, "tradition" denied the rights of mixed race couples to marry, and so on.

I've decided my sig avatar should remain in place until there is a ruling. Because if the right for my partner and I to legally marry continues to be denied by the religious zealots embedded in our government - that's how it makes me feel inside.

And I'm so impressed that so many people in government and the church are soooo interested in my sex life and what goes on in my bedroom with my lover - that they would deny us the same rights and protections as anyone else in the state / country receives.

Sheesh,
TS Jamie

justatransgirl
03-04-2008, 09:55 PM
Here is a link to a webcast - also an interesting link to Gov. Schwarzenegger's statment to continue to veto same sex marriage bills - what does it matter to him anyway? For those not in CA, the legislature has TWICE approved same sex marriage. This is all a last ditch effort by the religious right to deny rights to those who don't follow their doctrine.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/15466423/detail.html

eggbert
03-04-2008, 09:56 PM
A "sheesh" instead of a "giggle". Now I know you must be serious.

BeardedOne
03-04-2008, 11:38 PM
While I admire and salute your opinions and efforts on this matter, I can't help but wonder why these idjits are so adamant about blocking your rights to live in this institution when so many of them have failed to do so themselves.

The only reason that America has a 50% divorce rate is because the other 50% can't afford the fucking legal fees.

Ecstatic
03-05-2008, 12:37 AM
Well, I hope the CA Supreme Court takes the same tack that the MA court did a few years back and recognize the legality of same sex marriage (or at the very least, civil union). There is so much fucked up about this country's prevailing stance re: same sex unions, it's pathetic. For one, the MA court was not an activist court which wrote the law (as has so often been claimed by same sex marriage opponents); rather, the MA court recognized what had always been the case according to the laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, that marriage is the legal right of all adult citizens of the Commonwealth.

On a related point, in Massachusetts ALL marriages are civil unions, so it would be a false (and insulting) distinction to deem same sex joinings as "civil unions" and opposite sex nuptials as "marriages." This has been the case since the days of the Puritans: in Massachusetts, a marriage is official only if the phrase "by the power vested in me by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts" is spoken at the end by the solemnizer (I know, as I solemnized two of my best friends' marriage about 10 years back, and I have the letter signed by then governor Celucci granting me the right and power to do so, although I am not clergy). Now a marriage may not be accepted by any given religious institution as marriage; that's the purvue of churches, not of the state. But at the civil level, the conjoining of two people regardless of race, creed, or gender in matrimony is a civil matter, and therefore inherits all the rights and obligations of civil law, including full equality.

We may have our Big Digs and our Taxachusetts status, but dammit, we get some things right!