PDA

View Full Version : HD DVD.....RIP

hwbs
02-20-2008, 06:20 AM
well u now have the honor of being the new beta , lmfao....

DCGuy343
02-20-2008, 06:28 AM
Blu-ray + PS3 = :claps

BlackMath
02-20-2008, 07:02 AM
blu-ray has the worst name though. It tries too hard. At least HD DVD sounded normal.

cockgobbler
02-20-2008, 07:02 AM
You just had to know one of these formats was not going to survive.

70% of the movie studios aligned themselves with blu-ray, and I guess the last straw for Toshiba (hd dvd's inventor) was Wal-Mart's decision to only carry blu-ray discs and players. After all, Wally world is the planet's largest retailer.

From the articles I have read Bill Gates and Microsoft are PISSED. The X-Box is only HD DVD compatible!

DJ_Asia
02-20-2008, 08:41 AM
For all of the PS3s issues,Sony wasnt about to install the BluRay into it not knowing it was going to be the dominant format.

Were just starting to get the freestanding machines here and the discs are starting to trickle in....sadly the Thais have yet to figure out how to pirate the games....yet :D

Hostile
02-20-2008, 09:55 AM
What does all of this mean? Can we not see movies in HD, can someone explain this for a Dummy like me. What is PS3, ect ect ( is it play station 3 and what does that have to do with all of this )

Willie Escalade
02-20-2008, 10:14 AM
Good thing I didn't go out and by a brand new HD DVD player...like a couple of my compadres did :lol: As I did with the original DVD player, I'll wait for the prices to go down before I indulge.

Toshiba=quitter! :wink:

DX4LIFE
02-20-2008, 11:29 AM
u would have had to been well more retard than my brother Bilo to Buy HD DVD and not know blu ray would dominate

GroobySteven
02-20-2008, 11:59 AM
I've got a Playstation which I bought for watching Blueray (and the occasional game) and the quality is awesome.
Last week, my 5 yr old DVD player in my bedroom died, Costco had an HDTV Toshiba for $129. I knew then something was up but got it regardless - for that little money (incl. 2 free DVD's) it was worth it and it upgrades the normal DVD's to better quality anyway :-)

hwbs
02-20-2008, 02:39 PM
What does all of this mean? Can we not see movies in HD, can someone explain this for a Dummy like me. What is PS3, ect ect ( is it play station 3 and what does that have to do with all of this )

its like beta and vhs in the 80's....u go to the store and u see your regular dvd section that plays on everything...then there is a high def section made up of blu ray and hd-dvd ...basically in the beginning sony backed blu ray and universal backed hd-dvd...there are two different type of players on the market..the reason playstation is in the equation is that each one comes with a built in blu -ray player...so in short all of the movie studios jumped ship and signed on to produce their dvds with blu ray format...now in the near future u wont be able to find hd-dvds ...only standard dvds and blu ray...

lazyman
02-20-2008, 11:19 PM
blu-ray has the worst name though. It tries too hard. At least HD DVD sounded normal.

At least Blu-Ray is not ANOTHER acronym. Acronyms are destroying our language. Pretty soon no new words will be developed, all new vocabulary for mankind's new concepts and experiences will take the form of acronyms. IMHO.

[/rant]

DJ_Asia
02-21-2008, 04:58 AM
For all of the PS3s issues,Sony wasnt about to install the BluRay into it not knowing it was going to be the dominant format.

What problems with the PS3 are talking? Of course Sony was going to add blu ray to all PS3s, it's their format.

The primary issues w/ PS3,which there are a couple are as follows...

A lack of game titles for the machine.Sony at first was reluctant to license 3rd party companies to create new games,so for ever and a day,there were like 15 games and thats it.Lately they have begun to add some newer titles,but its still not a vast selection like Wii or XBox 360

Price of the machine is skyhigh,which basically makes it an adult purchase...sure every kid wants one,but after you buy all the add ons,not to mention the 1080p TV to maximize the machines potential and surround sound you're looking at thousands of dollars.
Theres really not much Sony can do to lower the cost of the machine,as the BluRay and multiple processors are quite expensive to put in.As it is Sony is/was losing over 100 USD on every machine sold,hoping to recoup the losses through title sales,thus the reluctance to outsource games to other companies.