PDA

View Full Version : CLOVERFIELD MOVIE MONSTER, IN CUTE FORM!

FREEFALLL666
02-14-2008, 03:40 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320215095663&indexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting
It is MR GRUMPY PANTS!!!

Oh and I saw the movie today so here is a quick SPOILERIFIC review,ish!

[Sod the spoilerz]
Just seen it, loved the buildup to the attacks, the movie started in a way I did not expect it started so ordinary and boring, day to day type shtuff. The party DAMN YOU NO WOLFMOTHER DANCETRAK...

The characters didn't seem contrived, they didn't seem to be based on any clear formula they were just normal people. I think that's what people find wrong with them, they weren't characters to look up to, they weren't your best buddy from the offset they just were people.
The deaths were fantastically realised, the bridge scene was amazingly well engineered. This was as far as I can tell the only time in the movie that you were expecting to see the monster, you just didn't expect it to be so damned close... The bite victim was someone who right until that point you couldn't seem to like at all, but when you saw her crying blood you got the "oh Blot man this ain't right I hope shes...." Oh Powerglide she exploded in a mass of blood! THE TANK CRUSH WAS COOL AS ALL HELL!!
The character interactions felt real, they felt uneasy as you would expect in the circumstances, it felt like natural conversation not some Powerglideing stupid perfect Hollywood chat. The jokes felt like 9/11 jokes, you laughed but straight away tried to judge if it was "appropriate to laugh" at them.
"BURNING HOMELESS GUYS!"
The black girl SURVIVED!!

The shock moments were done so well, there wasn't any stupid clues that something was going to happen, there wasn't any bullshyt "we will make it thorough" *BANG* moments there were MANY moments were the cinema(me included) jumped and gasped.

The Parasites were like a dog crossed with the Lost In Space Spiders, not crabs! Who saw crabs in them anyway?

Then we get to Mr Grumpy Pants, he was BITCHIN, sheet he could kick Gojira and Godzillas arse all over the show!
The way they built up to the full reveals was fantastic, the times where you get a small glimpse of him in his full were at the right length to add to the mystery (even those who played the ARG would have had moments of WTF IS THAT?) MGP was damned near perfect.
The monsters movements were almost sensual, they had an almost catlike motion to them, his little arms were a great touch, making you wonder as to how it uses them.

Tomfurbs
02-14-2008, 03:58 AM
This is a fucking great review!

My thoughts exactly. The male lead was a bit of a whiny so-and-so though...

"lets all go across town towards the monster to rescue my probably-dead non-girlfriend"

"Ah...no son"

FREEFALLL666
02-14-2008, 04:49 AM
This is a fucking great review!

My thoughts exactly. The male lead was a bit of a whiny so-and-so though...

"lets all go across town towards the monster to rescue my probably-dead non-girlfriend"

"Ah...no son"Thankyou! I was trying to be objective without turning into a raving OH MY GOD THIS MOVIE ROXXORZTEHBIGGONE!!!1!!ELEVEN type rant!

bob85
02-14-2008, 09:49 AM
on the Don and Mike show they said that there is supposedly static playing during the credits, and if you play it backwards it is supposedly supposed to say "im still alive"
but when you hear it about 20 times like i did when they were doing it on the show you really start to hear things because you want to hear them

Jakovasaur
02-16-2008, 01:34 AM
Just came from seeing it. Cot Damn this movie is nuts. They gave that shit everything they had, and it still wasn't enough. Anybody else see something fall from the sky, a month before the attack, at the end of the movie?

FREEFALLL666
02-16-2008, 01:36 AM
I saw the meteor!! >_>
I guess I have competition for Mr Grumpy Pants!
http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBrand.htm?BR=863&ID=21030&src=GENEMHT20288
I want that BADLY!

Tomfurbs
02-16-2008, 02:05 AM
Mate, this review trumps the AVclub and the rottentomatoes fuckers.

Blog this stuff, and you'll go viral...

Good writing

SkyTwo
02-16-2008, 07:45 AM
Eh. I just saw it, and I was a little disappointed. What I liked was that there was no explanation of anything. I think they managed a first with the premise of giant monster flick as seen from the perspective of someone on the street.

The monster looked good, and the small parasites were an inspired touch (I didn't think crab, but they definitely had some shrimp in them), but the big problem was the characters. They looked too pretty through the whole thing, considering what was going on, and the real estate they owned suggested that they were all millionaires. Sometimes it was plausible-- a la the ignominious death of the cameraman's crush-- but I'm still amazed at how sanitized the whole thing seemed. It was amazingly un-gritty, seeing as how the city was destroyed and all.

I was really excited about it, and it still beats the pants off any Gamera movie, but it shoulda been much more intense than it was.

jordyd19
12-08-2008, 06:17 AM
this monster was far to much like the rancor for me giving the makers any monster making credit. how do you expect to steal from star wars and expect to get away with it?