PDA

View Full Version : Bangkok Hotels

muelov
02-12-2008, 01:32 PM
Hi Everyone,

Wondering if someone could give me a bit of help with a hotel to stay at while I'm in Bangkok.

I'm over for five days and I'm looking at spending up to about $700 AUD for a place, so I'm not after a super cheap place, I'd like to get somewhere nice.

Once place that seems good is:

http://www.asiarooms.com/thailand/bangkok/majestic_grande.html

Will I have any trouble if I bring a guest back? :)

Also, I'm going to be after a couple of suits while I'm there, any suggestions on good tailors?

Thanks all!

Jericho
02-12-2008, 05:59 PM
The Ambassador's ok.
Good rooms, good service [though rooms are better in the tower than the main building].
Ok with guests, though you may get charged a joiner
...And only about a five minute [if that] walk from the NEP ;-)

GroobySteven
02-12-2008, 08:55 PM
Hi
Here's the best kept secret. Actually not that much of a secret but I'm assuming your wanting somewhere with easy access to the girls/ladyboys?

The Majestic Grande is nice and at that price about $50 cheaper than what they were trying to get for a room a couple of years back. It's about a 5-7 min walk to Nana Plaza. You won't have any problem taking the girls back.

The hotel I suggest to people is the Dynasty Grande:
http://www.dynastygrande.com/
5-9min walk to Nana Plaza.

It should be cheaper than the Majestic, it's very nice, internet in the rooms, decent restaurant, pool, gym etc. Everyone I've suggested stay here has been happy with it.

Frankly, either of those two hotels are your best choice for that area. The Sofitel and Marriotts are there but overpriced and it's a bit snootier taking ladyboys/bar girls back.

For more recommendations on restaurants, bars, etc check out my forum lblbforum.com

regards
seanchai

cantona5
02-12-2008, 10:14 PM
i can strongly recommend the majestic grande having stayed there not too long ago. great location aswell as being a really nice hotel

muelov
02-13-2008, 10:24 AM
Awesome, thanks everyone!

justatransgirl
02-13-2008, 10:54 AM
Let me ask this please.

What is the BEST hotel in Bangkok if cost isn't an issue?

I'm talking a true 5 star, recent renovated or built with all the amenities.

Just planning ahead.

Thanks,
TS Jamie :-)

GroobySteven
02-13-2008, 11:11 AM
Oriental - one of the best hotels in the world.

muelov
02-13-2008, 11:18 AM
I went with the Majestic Grande. No suggestions on a decent tailor?

If anyone is over there then let's catch up for a beer and hit the clubs.

bucatini70
02-13-2008, 03:26 PM
an email and we can meet up working all week but open for a few beers most nights

Phillip69
02-14-2008, 02:43 AM
The Oriental certainly is a nice Hotel but for the best views, service and rooms I would recommend the Peninsula.

I think the Peninsula even is higher than a 5 star if I am not mistaken.

bigdawg
02-14-2008, 04:42 AM
I always stay at the Westin or Sheraton. For SPG Platinum members, they are across the street from each other so I check-in and check-out every night and get the 500 pts amenity bonus plus the stay credits!

Oh and plat members get free breakfast at both hotels. The buffet at the Sheraton Grande is AWESOME!

El_hefe
02-15-2008, 06:52 AM
In addition to Penninsula & Oriental I would add the Suhkothai Hotel as one of the best.
JW Marriott is really nice, much better than any Marriott in the USA, if not 5 star then 4 1/2 stars, plus they are next door to NANA & relatively casual with guests. A great compromise, but staying in a place like the Penninsula is really an event.
Occasionally the JW comes up on Priceline & you might score a room at $70 (US) or so.

DJ_Asia
02-15-2008, 09:30 AM
I like the Landmark for several reasons:

Very close to NANA and BTS
Excellent room service food
Very well equipped gym thats free for guests to use
Never had a problem bringing back girls,though they know me over there.

bucatini70
03-08-2008, 04:53 PM
it is great hotel DJ and i like the huntsman happy hour there! but don't forget now the Le Fennix in the backside of Soi 11

El_hefe
03-08-2008, 06:47 PM
Still looking for a tailor? I can highly recommend "Rajawongse" on Sukhumvit between Majestic Suites & the Landmark. You will have to wait a bit since he is always busy, but they are very good. Been using him for over 10 years. Check out the business cards in his dressing room...very interesting slice of society there. (Dunno if mine is till there.)

I think the main difference between all the Indian (Sikh?) tailors is their shop's fabric quality & their attention to details. My understanding is most send the orders to the mostly same Thai tailors/seamstresses. Just don't order any low cost "specials" or 24 hr service, etc., & take your time with material selection, ie., ask to see "Italian style" light-weight 100% wool for a suit. (They insist it is real Italian wool, but I doubt it.)

I haven't been over in a few years now, but last time I was there I went on a major shopping spree (this may happen to you also when you get a little older fellas, I like to think of it as developing a wider perspective & not having a lower sexual energy! Or am I Gay?)

I had 3 large pieces of furniture custom made to my design & shipped to the US, bought 35 metres of raw silk for curtains I had custom made here. 5 oxford-style dress shirts custom made, went to Baumrumgrad (sp?) for a vision exam & got designer specs & , my favorite: spending most of a day at Chatauchak until the heat made me hallucinate, finding all sorts of interesting items & great food.
Asian antiques are another great deal there. In fact one place had a sign "Antiques Made To Order"!

Gee....I guess I am gay......

Of course the US dollar was stronger & the baht was weaker then, but still one of the best shopping destinations around. Got to go back soon.

El_hefe
03-08-2008, 06:55 PM
You know I've never been to the Huntsman pub altho I've heard of it & passed it a lot. Is it mostly an expat scene, with girls, lbs welcome?

Also is the Angels disco in the NANA hotel still going strong? I'll never forget the first time I went there, I felt like a fat boy in a candy shop, unreal, but it's been a long time now since....