PDA

View Full Version : What's everyone reading?

manbearpig
02-09-2008, 02:08 AM
Trying to finish the Dragonlance series but I keep getting sidetracked.

Current reading: Parallel Worlds by Michio Kaku

Ecstatic
02-09-2008, 02:20 AM
The Ancestor's Tale by Richard Dworkin

Arc-Angel
02-09-2008, 02:22 AM
Alcoholics Anonymous, comes of age

youcancallmeclaire
02-09-2008, 02:26 AM
reading the internet haet machine

Wombat
02-09-2008, 03:00 AM
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick. Bears little resemblance to the movie it inspired, Blade Runner.

FREEFALLL666
02-09-2008, 03:25 AM
Scatterlings

It is a GIRLS SCI-FI PLEASE MAKE IT INTO A MOVE!

southern81
02-09-2008, 04:24 AM
Dune series

tsmandy
02-09-2008, 07:29 AM
Adulthood Rites by Octavia Butler.

manbearpig
02-09-2008, 09:18 AM
my all time fav is Memnoch the Devil by Anne Rice =D

gaiseric
02-09-2008, 10:23 AM
Game, Set and Match by Len Deighton 8)

chefmike
02-09-2008, 10:35 AM
I'm re-reading 'A Confederacy of Dunces' by John Kennedy Toole, a brilliant Pulitzer prize winning novel that never fails to make me laugh out loud.

If you've never read it, do yourself a favor and check it out.

Tomfurbs
02-09-2008, 02:45 PM
I love the bit in 'Dunces' when he has a little wank while imagining a puppy running around and playing. The sick fuck...

budeluv77
02-09-2008, 05:03 PM
Emporer: The Field of Swords-A Novel of Julius Caesar by Conn Iggulden
The 3rd book out of a 4-book series. (I highly recommend it if you like history!)

Odelay
02-09-2008, 05:05 PM
I'm re-reading 'A Confederacy of Dunces' by John Kennedy Toole, a brilliant Pulitzer prize winning novel that never fails to make me laugh out loud.

Dunces is an all time screw ball classic. Ranks right up there with Geek Love.

I'm playing catch up on this one (should have read it 5 years ago): Guns, Germs & Steel.

stillies77
02-09-2008, 05:25 PM
A Lions Tale by Chris Jericho...probably the funniest book i have ever read.

chefmike
02-09-2008, 06:26 PM
I love the bit in 'Dunces' when he has a little wank while imagining a puppy running around and playing. The sick fuck...

LMFAO...I remember how appalled my girlfriend was when she read that particular bit.

It's a damn shame that the author took his own life before ever seeing his book published. Very sad.

chefmike
02-09-2008, 06:29 PM

Dunces is an all time screw ball classic. Ranks right up there with Geek Love.

I'm playing catch up on this one (should have read it 5 years ago): Guns, Germs & Steel.

I haven't read either of those, I'll have to check 'em out sometime.

twowaybro
02-10-2008, 02:36 AM
I've just finished reading the timely and alarming new novel by Steve Alten, The Shell Game. If this work of fiction indeed conceals an accurate prediction of our immediate future then we all should be quite terrified. Worth checking out.... 8) 8)

sukumvit boy
02-10-2008, 05:36 AM
Hay Ecstatic,Chefmike and Odelay,
Yes, Richard Dawkins ,"The Ancesters Tale", "Confederacy of Dunces" and Jared Diamonds', "Guns, germs and steel" were all great.
You might want to check out Dawkins' latest, "The God Delusion", controversial and brilliant!
Also , in science and non-fiction Bill Bryson ,"A Short History of Nearly Everything" and "The Mother Tongue" are amazing. For just a good 'page turner' with suspence and action check out the Lee Child "Reacher" series of novels , or anything by Lawrence Block . For more science I just finished , "Supercrunchers: how thinking by numbers is the new way to be smart"by Ian Ayres. Really interesting , practical and easy to read for the non-mathemetician.
Happy reading!

stroker234
02-11-2008, 02:23 AM
Enders Game, Enders Shadow and Shadow of the Hegemon. Great Sci Fi and at least they have got me of star wars novels for a while.

altarica
02-11-2008, 06:02 AM
I have just finished "Look To Windward",by Iain M Banks.Marvellous as ever.
Also "Berlin" by Anthony Beevor.I had to read half of it and then leave it for a month before finishing it.My God what a bleak period of history,an horrific read.Man's inhumanity to man on both the German side and also the Russians seeking revenge.
I like to keep a non-fiction work and something fictional on the go at the same time.
So in a similiar vein my next two non-fiction reads will be "Napoleon's Expedition To Russia.The Memoirs Of General De Segur." and "La Grande Armee" by Georges Blond.Probably best to read the second one first as it is an historical overview of Napoleons Army and all it's campaigns.
As to fiction,"The House of Sand and Fog" by Andre Dubus III,which was a movie I enjoyed greatly.
Also battling my way through the manual I bought for Leopard OSX so I can try to understand this frigging Macbook Pro a bit better.Why don't computer manufacturers give you a proper fucking manual.....Wankers.After punting £1300 i don't think that it's too much to ask.

SXFX
02-11-2008, 06:03 AM
The Game

The guy on the cover looks like me!
Which is kind of cool, but he's a lot like me both in character and in.....manerisms.
Good reading

Oli
02-11-2008, 06:09 AM
Just finished "History of the English Speaking People" by Churchill. 40+ years old, but what a great writer he was.

Odelay
02-12-2008, 09:03 AM
About a month ago I read Middlesex. This fictional best seller actually has a hermaphrodite sub-theme. Fascinating and well told story.

qeuqheeg222
02-12-2008, 09:18 AM
just got me a copy of the portable faulkner off amazon .com. i love this compilation of stories....so far great...

bartholomeus
02-12-2008, 08:50 PM
i've been reading "the god delusion" Richard Hawkins, "state of denial: bush at war part III" Bob Woodward and a "brave new world" Aldous Huxley<<< a brave new world is the book which outlines the plan that will be implemented on humans by the banker cartel that runs the world, all in the subtleness of science-fiction.

south ov da border
02-12-2008, 08:58 PM
blood sweat and tea by Tom Reynolds.

http://randomreality.blogware.com/

Pretty good read. He's an EMT in England, tells some funny stories...

wildblueyonder
02-12-2008, 09:26 PM
Freakonomics by Stephen D Levitt-It's fascinating.

Avenged01
02-12-2008, 09:31 PM
Im halfway through Life Expectancy by Dean Koontz
Not as good as some of his other books but still a page turner.

StaggerLee
02-12-2008, 10:00 PM
Dunces is such a great read-my father tried to force me for years to read it, hate to admit he was right. I started freakonomics, and somehow lost it somewhere, keep expecting to find it underneath the sofa. But now im in the middle of Born Fighting, by james webb..'how the scots-irish shaped america'. Its a bit clunky, but tell a great story, that is very close to me and my family.

chefmike
02-12-2008, 10:38 PM
I'll have to check out that James Webb book. I'm a big admirer of Webb, he's a true warrior from a family of warriors, who is also vehemently opposed to Bush's folly in Iraq. He should get the dems VP nod, although I'm not sure if he would take it if offered.

Zorg069
02-13-2008, 04:14 AM
Alastair Reynolds, Revelation Space 2: Redemption Ark

manbearpig
03-03-2008, 04:42 PM
I randomly decided to read Fight Club because I loved the movie so much. I enjoyed it. It was short...but good non the less.

TsVanessa69
03-03-2008, 07:25 PM
I was in NYC at club Esculita for my performance and I met a young and upcoming author who had written a series of books about homosexuality and the urban world. However he wrote a book that caught my eye: Convict's Candy.It is a good story based on reality, a transexuals real transition, how familys really treat their transgendered siblings. As well as some well know to us but little know to you guys inside "secrets" to the ts lifestyle. Also on a ts and life in prison and how men really react to us in that world. A good book all they way around. Convicts Candy by Damon Meadows. A MUST READ!!!

will802
03-03-2008, 07:29 PM
Finished Black Mass. They will never catch Whitey Bulger.. Someones gotta be tipping him off

Riddler
03-04-2008, 12:31 AM
"shooter"

With more than sixty confirmed kills, Jack Coughlin is the Marine Corps' top-ranked sniper. Shooter is his harrowing first-person account of a sniper's life on and off the modern battlefield.

Gunnery Sgt. Jack Coughlin is a divorced father of two who grew up in a wealthy Boston suburb. At the age of nineteen, although he had never even held a gun, he joined the Marines and would spend the next twenty years behind the scope of a long-range precision rifle as a sniper.

In that time he accumulated one of the most successful sniper records in the Corps, ranging through many of the world's hotspots. During Operation Iraqi Freedom alone, he recorded at least thirty-six kills, thirteen of them in a single twenty-four-hour period.

Now Coughlin has written a highly personal story about his deadly craft, taking readers deep inside an invisible society that is off-limits to outsiders. This is not a heroic battlefield memoir, but the careful study of an exceptional man who must keep his sanity while carrying forward one of the deadliest legacies in the U.S. military today.

Jova
03-04-2008, 02:30 AM
Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series, over, and over, and over........

BrendaQG
03-04-2008, 03:56 AM
I'm a non fiction person. What I have been reading about is Noether's theorem (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noether's_theorem). Specifically what I am reading is the original proof she published and trying to understand it fully. Working out the steps she left out. Her theorem explains the physical origins of mass and charge. It's lite on words and heavy on meaning. I understand it enough to apply it but not really why it works.

bulldog
03-04-2008, 04:18 AM
I am just waiting for my favorite author, Laurell K. Hamilton, to come out with the next book in both her series

sukumvit boy
03-04-2008, 05:10 AM
God's Crucible; Islam and the Making of Europe 570-1215 by David Lewis
also
The World Without Us by Alan Weisman
The first is the the history of the birth of Islam and
the 'Golden Age" of Islam on the Iberian Peninsula of what is now Spain, plus all the crazy stuff that was going on in Europe at tht time.
The second book is a facinating look at what would happen to the world if human beings suddenly disappeared.
Hay wildblueyonder,
If you liked 'Freakenomics' check out 'Supercrunchers ; why thinking by numbers is the new way to be smart' by Ian Ayres

dc_guy_75
03-04-2008, 05:34 AM
"Augustus" The Life of Rome's First Emperor.

Poorly written in places and the author uses awful cliches, but the similarities to the US are too obvious.

Reading it makes me realize that Roman society was insanely, ridiculously violent...

100 generations later, I think DC is a replica of Rome. Egyptian oblisk statues (the Washington Monument), temples to Gods (the Jefferson and Lincoln memorial), senators, Praetorian Guards (Secret Service), generals retiring as farmers (Washington, Jackson, Grant, Eisenhower etc)...

Okay, perhaps this is too much for HA but wtf

RMan1
03-04-2008, 05:49 AM
"On War", you should read it.

Str8ninterested
03-04-2008, 05:52 AM
right now, True Evil by Greg Iles...up next the new Stephen King book

qeuqheeg222
03-04-2008, 08:59 AM
the portable faulkner...bits and shorts of taken from numerous stories to make a history of his fictional county in mississippi...really well done..

mischelle
03-04-2008, 09:17 AM
The Inhuman Condition by Clive Barker

tzman06
03-04-2008, 09:34 AM
Just finished re-reading American Gods by Neil Gaimen, still the best book I've ever read. Now im about to finish The Zombie Survival Guide which is pretty good, but very different.

ottorocket
03-04-2008, 09:36 AM
Farside by Gary Larson. Good shit.

howhardcanitbe
03-04-2008, 10:04 AM
The Meaning of Night by Michael Cox

Barnes and Noble - Synopsis
"Superb.... An engrossing and complicated tale...that touches on every aspect of Victorian society."—Michael Dirda, Washington Post Book World

It has 5 out of 5 rating from customers. It is an interesting book told in an interesting style.

Link to BN: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Meaning-of-Night/Michael-Cox/e/9780393330342/?itm=1

voy4her
03-04-2008, 12:22 PM
Currenty re-reading Foucault's Pendulum. I read The Talisman last week, couldnt get into the sequel. The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan is the best fantasy since LotR, i saw someone mentioned that. For the folks who like Dunces, i recommend Tom Sharpe- I'd start with Indecent Exposure, fucking hilarious.
But the book I'd recommend for anyone with depression issues-
http://www.amazon.com/How-Good-Bye-Depression-Constrict-Everyday/dp/0595094724/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-6682830-3251623?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1187351596&sr=1-1
could be the best book of all time.

howhardcanitbe
03-04-2008, 01:13 PM
Next I will re-read a classic - SILVERLOCK by John Myers Myers

If you check BN out you will find it is popular. The book takes the reader on an adventure that ties back to familiar literature. This is one book that you can lose yourself in.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Silverlock/John-Myers-Myers-Myers/e/9780441012473/?itm=1

If you need more of a synopsis read the Wikipedia, but it could be a spoiler... WARNING! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silverlock

In addition, I plan to go back and re-read a series of historical novels by Sharon Kay Penman. Based totally on historical facts, Penman really brings history alive. http://www.sharonkaypenman.com/

manbearpig
03-06-2008, 08:45 AM
Finished reading Dalamar the Dark from the Dragonlance series today in class (yea lol I know)...I was kinda disappointed to be honest...

italianmanxxx2000
03-06-2008, 08:57 AM
Anything Dean Kootnz

flicker
03-06-2008, 09:50 AM
I Am Legend by Richard Matheson

10x better than the movie, in fact the movie is nothing like the book (which is true most of the time). It's astonishing how much the movie deviates from the book, just about the only thing in common is the title (however the title "I Am Legend" has different meanings in the movie and in the book.

/rant