PDA

View Full Version : OK - who has the Flu? And Where?

justatransgirl
02-07-2008, 10:53 AM
Ok, it's off topic - but since apprently everyone from NYCe to Hara, and Jessica and now ME has the flu - it's coast to coast.

If you are afflicted this is your thread to rant and ramble so that all the healthy people can share the misery...

We could also share remedies...

Hugs,
TS Jamie :-)

Hara_Juku Tgirl
02-07-2008, 10:57 AM
I rarely get sick but when I do I'm down (literally) for a few days (I took from my mom. That's also how she is). Being sick is a PAIN. I gotten delirious with fever, chills at night and tremendous muscle aches! :roll: It certainly felt like I was 60 and dying..I hated it. But on the good side, I shed down a dress size (Yup, lost a whole 10lbs.)!! ;)

So I can't really complain. Being thin out here in LA is always a hot seller and a PLUS! LOL

Oh and get well soon HeavenlySin!

~Kisses.

HTG

Realgirls4me
02-07-2008, 11:04 AM
I've gotten the "chills" twice this week and that frankly scares me. Like Hara, I rarely get sick. I'm usually the guy in short sleeves while everyone else is trembling, so go figure. What are chills a sign or a result of? What is the body doing, and what can one do -- other than cover one's self -- to cut them off at the knees?

AllanahStarrNYC
02-07-2008, 11:08 AM
Had it right when I got back from Vegas- husband got it our last night in Vegas.

Spent out first week back from Vegas miserable and in bed.

But you know how it is when you have a partner- one gets it and then other. Which sucks because then one can't take care of the other- so you both make miserable and cranky attempts to take care of one another. LOL

We just went to the doctor and got meds, cough syrup with codeine, and were told to drink a lor of Gatorade to keeo hydrated and stay in bed.

justatransgirl
02-07-2008, 11:23 AM
Yeah - poor little Jessica, it's the first time she's been sick in the 2 1/2 years we've been together. Usually it's her taking care of me.

She had 101.5 temps and the shakes/chills. Then started the coughing - that's when I knew my goose was cooked...

I shall make sure she pays for it dearly - if I live. Hopefully I got the Tamiflu in time to mitigate the worst of it, but I don't know, my throat's getting worse.

Hugs,

Hara_Juku Tgirl
02-07-2008, 11:35 AM
TS Jamie try to get erethromycin (antibiotics) - It does wonders for the throat (I got the flu and throat infection both at the same time since I smoke). Also for heavy congestion try mucinex. I took those with theraflu and drinking lots of fluids. And it's worked for me! Didn't even eat much actually. ;)

~Kisses.

HTG

AllanahStarrNYC
02-07-2008, 11:43 AM
Yeah - poor little Jessica, it's the first time she's been sick in the 2 1/2 years we've been together. Usually it's her taking care of me.

She had 101.5 temps and the shakes/chills. Then started the coughing - that's when I knew my goose was cooked...

I shall make sure she pays for it dearly - if I live. Hopefully I got the Tamiflu in time to mitigate the worst of it, but I don't know, my throat's getting worse.

Hugs,

Use that Ziacam stuff- really works

LeesaCD
02-07-2008, 11:54 AM
As it would turn out, I'm a nurse.

Shivering is a reaction to your body feeling cold, it generates heat through muscle use. You feel cold because you body has tried to keep all you blood vessels away from the surface to help fight the central infection, and that in turn has stopped heating your fingers and toes.

As for Erythromycin, unless you have a specific bacterial throat infection, it won't help. Flu is a virus and doesn't respond to antibiotics.

Paracetamol (dispite people thinking it's weak because it comes over the counter) is really good for bringing your temp down. If you can take Ibuprofen, take that too, but eat something first.

Honey and Lemon cough mixture is good for your sore throat if it's just sore from coughing.

And eat! It takes lots of energy to be sick so force youself a KFC (or chicken soup if you can't).

Hope you all get well soon!

Realgirls4me
02-07-2008, 12:19 PM
As it would turn out, I'm a nurse.

Shivering is a reaction to your body feeling cold, it generates heat through muscle use. You feel cold because you body has tried to keep all you blood vessels away from the surface to help fight the central infection, and that in turn has stopped heating your fingers and toes.

So at THIS point, what should one do or take? Are the shivers a sign that one has been infected or is about to encounter other symptoms of a cold or flu?

LeesaCD
02-07-2008, 12:32 PM
If you aren't ill yet, you'll be wantin' Vitamin C and/or echinacea. If you're already experiencing symptoms, go with paracetamol and keep active, eat planty and try to stave off the symptoms.

According to New Scientist (it's a good read!), newer strains of Flu are more resistant to just about everything including Tamiflu (the vaccine), so if you're getting ill, the chances are, you'll be ill.

Don't forget, if you have a stronger immune system (vit C, etc.) you stand a better chance of beating it before it takes hold, but if like me you have an equal chance of getting scurvy because of your desperatly poor fruit/veg intake, you may be out of luck.

justatransgirl
02-07-2008, 09:23 PM
FLU UPDATE:

Last night when I started this thread my symptoms were getting worse. So Jessica and I went to the pharmacy and used my prescription for TAMIFLU (which I got earlier in the day anticipating being infected)

The stuff is $100 for 10 pills - do the math.

I took one at 11:45pm and one at 5 am and it seems to have stopped the symptoms butt cold.

My throat is still a little scratchy but there has been no progression. Apparently the stuff really works!

Time will tell - but if anyone has been exposed you might look inot this stuff. It has to be taken in the first 24 hours of symptoms appearing.

Maybe our resident nurse Leesa has more information / experience on this - I'd be interested in your view.

Here's hoping I will dodge the bullet!

flabbybody
02-07-2008, 09:52 PM
no one knows why, but when you eat chicken soup it makes you feel better.
my choice is the kind from an authentic Jewish style New York deli(with meat kreplachs), but Campbell's works fine too.

CORVETTEDUDE
02-07-2008, 11:04 PM
LeesaCD is a very smart individual, and gives great advise. I very rarely get sick, and when I do, it's because I have let my immune system degrade, for whatever reason. Vitamins and Herbs, as well as fruits and veggies that help maintain your immune system are very important. Even if you don't like them, you need to consume them.

I presently have a pretty good cold, but not the flu. I was working an off-site sale at Mile High Stadium, in snow, wind and bitter cold, for four days. I won't last long, cause I hate being sick, even remotely.

Hope everybody gets well quick!

tsmandy
02-07-2008, 11:37 PM
FLU UPDATE:

Last night when I started this thread my symptoms were getting worse. So Jessica and I went to the pharmacy and used my prescription for TAMIFLU (which I got earlier in the day anticipating being infected)

The stuff is $100 for 10 pills - do the math.

I took one at 11:45pm and one at 5 am and it seems to have stopped the symptoms butt cold.

My throat is still a little scratchy but there has been no progression. Apparently the stuff really works!

Time will tell - but if anyone has been exposed you might look inot this stuff. It has to be taken in the first 24 hours of symptoms appearing.

Maybe our resident nurse Leesa has more information / experience on this - I'd be interested in your view.

Here's hoping I will dodge the bullet!

Tamiflu has been touted as the only possible barrier between a catastrophic outbreak of Influenza such as the Highly Pathogenic Avian Flue. If the public in general starts to use it as a cure for the common cold/flu it will effectively destroy the drug as a stopgap, and enable influenza viruses to develop resistance quicker than new drugs can be manufactured. Already supplies are dangerously low (the federal government owning the largest stockpile of a couple million doses, not nearly enough to help should an outbreak of serious proportions occur), and the CDC estimates an influenza outbreak could kill between 3-5 million Americans in a very short span of time. Probably best to save the Tamiflu for a serious outbreak, and use time honored ways of healing (nutritious food, lots of water, and lots of rest) to deal with what you have.

Also, like I said before your surgery, be careful, I caught a highly contagious upper Respiratory infection right after my surgery and damn near died from it.