PDA

View Full Version : Who is your favorite Rap / Hip Hop Artist?

strokeitnow
01-25-2008, 12:55 AM
Mine are Dr Dre, Snoop Dogg and Wu Tang Clan

Let's hear it from the board... who do you like if any and what are your favorite tunes.

flabbybody
01-25-2008, 12:59 AM
remy ma cause she's so hot looking

RevolveR.
01-25-2008, 01:04 AM
Rap is dead, but here are some of my favs.

2pac
Biggie
Snoop
DMX
Nas
Busta Rhymes

TomSelis
01-25-2008, 01:05 AM
MC Paul Barman

Ziggy33
01-25-2008, 01:10 AM
Right now its Lupe Fiasco. His new CD is one of the best ever...check it out!

Tomfurbs
01-25-2008, 01:22 AM
I've been listening to a ton of 2pac lately. he's good...v good to my white ears. will he join neil, bob, kurt, tom, lou, chuck and joey in the tomfurbs halloffame? mebbe...but not probably.

I love rap/hiphop (lmfao...what a crap name for a genre) music.

It is RnB's total re-approbation (is that a word?) of a great musical genre that sets my teeth on edge. 'RnB' is RHYTHMANDBLUES all you uneducated mothers...has been since the fifties with Bo, Chuck and Eddy.

RnB' ( I spell that with immense pain to my frontal vortex) is pretty much soul music with all the 'soul' ripped out of it by part-time muggers like Beyonce et al.....

Quiet Reflections
01-25-2008, 04:46 AM
lupe fiasco, necro , sage francis, snoop, WU, Digable Planets, Bossman, and alot of underground hip hop, but fuck rap. Punk music is where its at

Quiet Reflections
01-25-2008, 04:47 AM
MC Paul Barman
LOL I bet you like princess superstar too

Willie Escalade
01-25-2008, 04:48 AM
Shawn Carter, Oshay Jackson, and Cordozar Brodaus. Leshane Crooks and Christopher Wallace are also favorites. Also Earl Stevens, Brandt Jones and Todd Shaw from the Bay Area.

Hung_N_Loose
01-25-2008, 04:50 AM
O.D.B

813virgo
01-25-2008, 05:07 AM
Shawn Carter, Oshay Jackson, and Cordozar Brodaus. Leshane Crooks and Christopher Wallace are also favorites. Also Earl Stevens, Brandt Jones and Todd Shaw from the Bay Area.

Too Short will always be on top.

stevenb43
01-25-2008, 06:09 AM
Who cares, I don't understand music that suggest to rape and kill and degrade women......Just what I want to be a drug peddler with a lot of ho's....

jayevil
01-25-2008, 06:24 AM
Who cares, I don't understand music that suggest to rape and kill and degrade women......Just what I want to be a drug peddler with a lot of ho's....

sorry but the music isn't all what you hear on the radio and what MTV and BET tells you.

The essence of hip-hop is the artists mentioned in previous posts(and many more, don't wish to bore you with the specifics, so I'll just leave it at them) Most if not all rarely touch those topics you mentioned.

Now if you talk about rap (ie that mainstream bullshit) then maybe you are right.

Quiet Reflections
01-25-2008, 06:34 AM
Im not generally a fan of Rap music but in any type of music you can find artists that talk about stuff like that, but if you think all music of any genere is like that you are either an idiot or a closed minded idiot. What a terrible generalization! i guess all whites are the devil, blacks are all criminals,and every person that likes TS is Gay.
Doss Cunt!

mattmattmatt
01-25-2008, 06:50 AM
Kool Keith? Public Enemy? Brother Ali? Tons of good shit, duders.

wombat33
01-25-2008, 07:29 AM
I hate most of all of that kind of "music"

But if I had to pick two that actually made a few good songs.........

LL Cool J
and
The Sugar Hill Gang.

Most pf today's rap/hiphop is really pretty pathetic.

The whole idea of american idol makes me sick.

WHen they have one where the contestants write the music, lyrics, sing the song and play the instruments (like springsteen and dylan).......then I would watch it.

Old Man WOmbat speaks

Fox
01-25-2008, 07:48 AM
My favorite changes up from time to time. At the moment I'm really feelin' Wordworth, Mos Def and Gang Starr. Wordsworth needs some new material though. I can't pick just one favorite though, that's like having one girlfriend. ;)

(kidding)

Hm, faves...

Lupe Fiasco
Nas
Talib Kweli
Mos Def
Jay-Z
OutKast
etc...

hippifried
01-25-2008, 09:30 AM
Does Cowboy Troy count? What's up with all this niche radio & trying to separate people by "genre" anyway?

Wasn't Bob Dylan's "Subterranian Homesick Blues" a rap song? That was just a takeoff on the beatnik schtick of the '50s. Run DMC's first MTV hit was a remake of Aerosmith's "Walk This Way". It was originally a rap song. Lorne Greene & Walter Brennan both rapped western ballads back in the '60s. Spontaneous poetry has been a big hit all over since Cassius Clay blew onto the scene, & he wasn't even in the music biz. There was an underground rap scene all through the '60s & '70s. Underground rock managed to break out with the advent of FM, but rap was stuck on short wave for another decade. Scared the hell out of the radio station owners.

In the modern era, I've always considered B.I.G., Snoop, & even MnM to a degree to be the most natural in flow. It's kinda like they're talkin' to you across the table. I like Cypress Hill too, & Lighter Shade of Brown. Hiphop is like any other genre. There's a few standouts & a plethora of garbage. Nobody on the radio plays the music I like best, fusion jazz. Maybe if we got rid of all this niche crap, we could get some real mix in our listening.

EyeCumInPiece
01-25-2008, 10:51 AM
Tupac, Nas, & Immortal Technique

ShadowMaster
01-25-2008, 12:45 PM
UGK
Outkast
Chino XL
Ras Kass
Canibus
8Ball & MJG
Scarface
Project Pat
Three 6 Mafia
Lupe Fiasco
Common
Big Pun
Biggie
2Pac
Little Brother
Nas
GZA
(just too name a few)

A rhyme is only limited by the mind who wrote it. You can rap about anything if you're creative.
Money is ruining the radio in general. If a label believes you can't go multi-platinum then you get no airplay. They've settled for the ringtone slangers with little to no replay value.

Fox
01-25-2008, 01:52 PM
In my last post I was saying I needed more material from Wordworth and not long after I find out eMC's The Show was leaked, so I snagged it. Good shit. I've been anticipating this album.

eMC is a supergroup that consist of Masta Ace, Punchline, Wordsworth & Strick.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMC_(hip_hop_group)

BlackMath
01-25-2008, 01:53 PM
Jay-Z
Wu-Tang
Dizzee Rascal

I like Kanye too, but his flow is the worst.

jimjamcan
01-25-2008, 02:50 PM
old skool Beastie boys, grandmaster flash, N.W.A. Public Enemy

only guy I saw live was Ice T with Bodycount around 1992....gig was awesome...."Cop Killer"

chanel_girly
01-25-2008, 03:07 PM
LITTLE KIM!!!!!!!! THE QUEEN BEE!

hwbs
01-25-2008, 04:47 PM
i love all the old school stuff....only new cats i like in no order are ,
Common , Kanye , The Game , Jay-Z, Dilated Peoples

pampal2
01-25-2008, 05:05 PM
Too Short
Goldy
B-Legit
Slim Thug

SweetDave
01-25-2008, 07:28 PM
Aesop Rock
Del
Casual
Gza
Rza
Ghostface
Method Man
Redman
Pretty much all of The Wu.
CunninLynguists
DangerDoom/MF Doom
Beastie Boys
Jedi Mind Tricks
Slick Rick
Da La Soul
Biz Markie
Artifacts
Hieroglyphics

Just to name a few

durex
01-25-2008, 07:43 PM
2Pac, Nas, Pitbull, Ludacris, Jay-Z, Lil Wayne. and the productions of Mannie Fresh and Lil Jon

jmt
01-25-2008, 07:47 PM
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Devon
01-25-2008, 07:59 PM
Living Legends baby! (tha grouch, eligh, scarub, luckyiam, murs, especially)
Hieroglyphics
Del
Opio
Sage Francis
Atmosphere
Common
TI
And all the old school stuff, public enemy, nwa, 2PAC ect

dafame
02-08-2008, 01:50 PM
O.D.B

I agree 100%. Migirt was by far the best rapper to ever walk on this planet. It's a shame that he was kinda slept on because alot of people missed out on his genius.

youcancallmeclaire
02-08-2008, 03:34 PM
Are girls from the woods allowed to enjoy hip-hop? 'Cause... I am... and I do.

manbearpig
02-09-2008, 12:34 AM
Can't really pick one but I like a lot of the underground dudes. The guys from Rhymesavers especially. M.U.R.S, Atmosphere, etc. I'm more of a rocker though...

Quiet Reflections
02-09-2008, 01:19 AM
Are girls from the woods allowed to enjoy hip-hop? 'Cause... I am... and I do.
a lady like you can like whatever she wants

Tomfurbs
02-09-2008, 01:27 AM
Easy-E

chefmike
02-09-2008, 01:28 AM
Harry Belafonte...not to mention that bad mofo Nat King Cole...and don't even get me started on OG Johnny Mathis...

Jakovasaur
02-09-2008, 01:45 AM
Right now it's Sean Price.

I can't possibly pick ONE for G.O.A.T

tyrone biggums
02-09-2008, 02:27 AM
good to see some hip hop heads over here, i like most of the mainstream rappers from the 90's. it can be said that rap was shot down on September 7th 1996 in Las Vegas.
not many great (not good, GREAT) rappers came since... Eminem, Kanye & Lupe... that's basically it.

peggygee
02-09-2008, 03:09 AM
All time favorite - Public Enemy.

From the new school, Common , Mos Def, Kanye.

the1phinneas
02-09-2008, 04:19 AM
I agree with Peggy, you've gotta give props to Chuck D and PE. But I've yet to read much here about the Microphone Soloist...

Eric B & Rakkim

Rakkim has to be the best rhyme styler ever. Laying it out smooth over breaks from James Brown, that was the shit, and without a doubt – the best in my book. Big Daddy Kane and BDP were great as well, and the combination of talent in NWA rocked the house. After all these years, the Beastie Boys and Cypress Hill have still managed to keep it goin'. Old school hip hop had the heart, and is where mine still is.

–Phinn

flabbybody
02-09-2008, 04:28 AM
OK, I admit it. I'm not into this music.
I'm just into her

youcancallmeclaire
02-09-2008, 06:34 AM
I don't know about that other poster, but all my Rakim albums are spelled with only one K.

otherguy
02-09-2008, 06:36 AM
[...]
A Tribe Called Quest
[...]
Finally someone drops the TCQ.

I'll add Mister Lif, Lil' Brother and Blue Scholars to the new lists...

No love for People Under The Stairs?

the1phinneas
02-09-2008, 08:39 AM
I don't know about that other poster, but all my Rakim albums are spelled with only one K.

:shock: Claire, of course you know, this means war. Prepare for muck-raking, grudges, bickering, oneupmanship, complete chaos, smog... wait a minute... I was wrong, good catch Claire. Thanks for setting that straight.

–Microphone Fiend

bassman2546
02-09-2008, 03:12 PM
Well, since someone asked, I will offer my opinion.

None of it. I think it all basically blows and insults the intelligence of many. How many times can you say the same thing over and over in speaking mode and make it sound catchy. It's an insult to the music industry and indicates that music is at an all time low.

youcancallmeclaire
02-09-2008, 04:21 PM
:shock: Claire, of course you know, this means war. Prepare for muck-raking, grudges, bickering, oneupmanship, complete chaos, smog... wait a minute... I was wrong, good catch Claire. Thanks for setting that straight.

–Microphone Fiend

I'd love to, but I don't own a rake. :(
I have a broom and a mop though. And a sponge.

Which reminds me... when I had my orchiectomy and was pumped full of anesthesia, there was a box in the doctors office that said "surgical sponges", and I was so out of it, all I could think to myself was... "What the fuck is a sponge??"

budeluv77
02-09-2008, 06:12 PM
Wu-Tang Forever!!!

budeluv77
02-09-2008, 06:18 PM
Aesop Rock
Del
Casual
Gza
Rza
Ghostface
Method Man
Redman
Pretty much all of The Wu.
CunninLynguists
DangerDoom/MF Doom
Beastie Boys
Jedi Mind Tricks
Slick Rick
Da La Soul
Biz Markie
Artifacts
Hieroglyphics

That is a sweet ass list Dave!

tyrone biggums
02-10-2008, 01:06 AM

None of it. I think it all basically blows and insults the intelligence of many. How many times can you say the same thing over and over in speaking mode and make it sound catchy. It's an insult to the music industry and indicates that music is at an all time low.

i bet all the hip hop music u heard is 50 cent/lil jon
go and check out some of the artists who were mentioned here, most of them are articulate, funny, smart, emotional or all of them. than come back with your thoughts.

El Nino
02-10-2008, 05:04 AM
Immortal Technique! Snoop, Dre. Eazy-E Nigga...

soulRipp
02-10-2008, 07:37 AM
yukmouth
Ice cube who is the greatest rapper ever
scarface
jayo felony
Ya Boy and that's his name
The Game
Ludacris
T.I
Tech N9ne
Mc Eiht
Quik
snoop
Ghostface
Bishop Lamont
Glasses malone
50 cent
WC
knocturnal
C-bo
Mac Dre Mac mother fucking dre rip homie
2pac-big-pimp c-eazy e,odb rip
lil boosie
messy marv
D.o.c
method man
redman
turf talk
soopafly
lil flip
and my cusin Mike Jones who Mike Jones
my other two cusins Nas and lil Kim
Trina
Suga Free the best pimp rapper out there
Devin the Dude best rapper to smoke weed to
Utp
juvenile
B.G
crooked i
Ghetto Mafia
Mistah F.A.B
Keith Murray
Ice T
I almost forgot my nigga Trick Daddy
Pastor Troy D.S.G.B HO!!!!
Butch Cassidy and nate dogg
Jayz but only his first 2 albums

WalkedOttaHeaven
02-10-2008, 07:51 AM
...the best rapper of all time has got to be the GZA, AZ, Bone Thugs N Harmony, Murs, MF Doom, Shyne, and the best out right now has got to be the Clipse...their mix-tapes are better than most CD's...

santiago316
02-10-2008, 09:32 AM
Ice Cube
Dr. Dre
Brotha Lynch Hung
Cypress Hill
West Side Connection
Snoop Dogg
Triple 6 Mafia
C-Bo
E-40
Too $hort
NWA
2Pac
DoggPound
8-Ball and MJG
Luniz
Dru Down
Project Pat
I don't really care for todays rap scene though

melissacarter
02-10-2008, 10:15 AM
does anyone remember Tone Loc? I loved "cheeba cheeba".

El Nino
02-10-2008, 08:10 PM
Wild thing, Funky Cold Medina....

rick_932
02-10-2008, 09:32 PM
wu-tang, lil wayne, lupe, chamillionaire, BG, nas

CORVETTEDUDE
02-10-2008, 09:35 PM
Personally, I think that all suck. That's strictly my personal opinion, the same that you mat have about my favorite music. So, don't go gettin' your knickers in a wad!

JelenaCD
02-10-2008, 10:06 PM
the only hip hop artist i liked was Notorious BIG ,Busta Rymes is pretty cool also since he has a totally unique sound !

south ov da border
02-11-2008, 07:03 PM
big l, aceyalone, mikah 9, murs, mf grimm, mf doom, and a personal favorite Pimp C...

argentina2007
04-14-2008, 04:52 AM
GZA, RZA, method man, masta killa, ghostface, jeru, gravediggaz, big l, onyx, sunz of man, inspectah deck, wiseman, killah preist....along those lines. I don't have time for tupac, west coast etc as it's mostly brainless/talentless.

S6XN9NE
04-14-2008, 06:33 AM
For listening, Kanye, Common or going back a bit; De La Soul..
For visuals, in my opinion one of the sexiest damn women alive: Mary J. Blige..........

Fox
04-14-2008, 08:55 AM

Black Star: Respiration
Black Star: Thieves In The Night
Gang Starr: Robbin Hood Theory
Lupe Fiasco: Conflict Diamonds
Lupe Fiasco: Hurt Me Soul
Lupe Fiasco: Streets On Fire
Mos Def: Mathematics
Ras Kass: The Nature Of The Threat
Ras Kass: Interview With A Vampire
Talib Kweli: Expansion Outro (Reflection Eternal album)
Talib Kweli: Give 'Em Hell

A few of many. I dare you to listen to any of those and tell us that the entirety of rap is terrible. Stop listening to the radio. :wink:

Personally, I think that all suck. That's strictly my personal opinion, the same that you mat have about my favorite music. So, don't go gettin' your knickers in a wad!

Ok, that's your opinion, but I'm curious. What are you basing your opinion on, exactly? Please don't tell me it's the radio or MTV/BET because unfortunately these days they're the worst representation of what it's all about. It's kind of like displaying your worst artwork to the masses instead of your masterpieces.

I'm not trying to start a fight, but I cannot understand the logic of not liking the entirety of something when it's so diverse within.

Anyway, yeah... lol

2754tim
04-14-2008, 09:52 AM
Kanye now,and my all time fav,Biggie.Oh shit,I forgot to throw in fiddy

Jolt711ml
04-14-2008, 11:09 AM
MF DOOM!