PDA

View Full Version : The Mystery Science Thread

SkyTwo
01-21-2008, 08:35 AM
There's Rifftrax. More recently there's Cinematic Titanic. And "Cartoon Dump!" probably counts, too.

Just thought I'd bring it up. I just started watching 'The Oozing Skull' yesterday, and I'm not sure what I think. As in I'm disappointed, but I wish I wasn't.

MST3k? Anyone?

btw, this goes great with my Billy Jack thread......

Tiffany Anne
01-21-2008, 09:13 AM
There's Rifftrax. More recently there's Cinematic Titanic. And "Cartoon Dump!" probably counts, too.

Just thought I'd bring it up. I just started watching 'The Oozing Skull' yesterday, and I'm not sure what I think. As in I'm disappointed, but I wish I wasn't.

Me too. I just watched Oozing Skull.
I like the idea, the scaffolding, and the stoping the film skits, but the movie itself isn't good (or bad/good) enough to really hold my attention and the jokes weren't funny enough. I found I missed a premise...even a thin one like stuck on a spaceship or some such.

Rifftrax though, cuz the movies are better, doesn't need the premise. I watched the Harry Potter 1 the other day and it was just great.

We'll just have to see where CT goes.

BBaggins06
01-21-2008, 11:28 AM

MST3k? Anyone?

btw, this goes great with my Billy Jack thread......

Wow, thanks for the memories. I think I have about 20 episodes on VHS at home. I've got to break them out again sometime. The Hercules movies were always fun. Manos, Hands of Fate was a classic. The Master movies made out of a bad TV show were great too. Finally, while I enjoyed the Mike Murphy years, Joel will always be my favorite lead. :) Mahalo

Matt

SkyTwo
02-23-2008, 09:44 AM
I still haven't been able to watch CT all the way through. But it was nice to get an update from them saying that they're already working on 'episode 2.'

TA, I've been a little torn on the quality of Rifftrax. Battlefield Earth, Daredevil, and Terminator 3-- hysterical. Others have been weak to the point of Sci-Fi Channel unfunniness. (Like Baggins, I'm a Joel fan).

One thing Iwill say is that it's been nice to see Oozing Skull get an A for effort from a lot of online reviewers. But yeah, it just plain ain't as funny as the first few seasons.

More discussion, please. Do a fellow nerd a solid and keep it up. Leora-- didn't you say something a while back about having all the Twilight Zone episodes on a hard drive? The drive might've been banished into the cornfield, but surely there are more MST fans 'round these parts....

SkyTwo
02-28-2008, 03:33 PM
I have no idea what most of this thread says but I do understand some and spotted my name in it so I'll respond...

Translation: "Hey, those weren't my 8 sided dice. I just happened to be rolling them when you stoppped by." Kidding. Thanks for verifying that I wasn't imagining things. And little did I know when I dredged up that memory that I'd also stumbled across an MST fan. All right, an occasional MST viewer. But that's clearly as MST-intensive as this thread is going to get. Probably for the best.

SkyTwo
04-05-2008, 08:07 AM
And now the news... that uhhhh, maybe someone out there has possibly been waiting for. Maybe.

The Cinematic Titanic crew has announced that they'll be recording THREE new episodes in May, and start releasing them in June. And they say they have every intention of making that the first step toward establishing a regular release schedule.

(I'm not affiliated, just a nerdy fan out to spread the "good news.")

P.S. Nice new avatar, Leora. Showoff. :wink:

BrassVillanueva
04-05-2008, 05:47 PM
I absolutely love MST3K. Classify me as a MSTie. RiffTrax is the best thing since the show went off the air. Haven't seen Cinematic Titanic.

When people debate the good and bad of MST3K, you have to take into account a couple things. One, Joel Hodgson (aka Joel Robinson) and Mike Nelson had their own personalities which were reflected in the show, so arguing who was better is futile. Everyone's going to lean with the host whose sense of humor they appreciated more, so no one is really going to win the argument. Two, as was pointed out, most of the movies were beyond saving. There were ten seasons of really, really TERRIBLE movies; not all of them could have possibly been the instant classics that the fan favorites are. For every Space Mutiny, there are probably at least fifteen Phase IV's.

I think all of the productions like these are a lot like Saturday Night Live (a show I never miss) in that most of the stuff is not the greatest material, but you watch because when the good stuff comes on, you truly enjoy it.

SkyTwo
04-12-2008, 11:05 AM
There were ten seasons of really, really TERRIBLE movies; not all of them could have possibly been the instant classics that the fan favorites are. For every Space Mutiny, there are probably at least fifteen Phase IV's.

See, I hated Space Mutiny, and I kinda liked Phase IV. As far as KTMA episodes go, of course, and they were all fairly weak. Kickin' it old school, that's me.

Badboy00010
04-13-2008, 12:08 AM
I own all of the MST episodes, and would definitely consider myself to be a profound MSTie. However, I have not ventured out to try Rifftrax or any of the new material. Something in me is a purist and I get nervous about new things like that. Are any of them worth it?

Daponster
04-13-2008, 02:41 AM
See the "Troll 2" Rifftrax, is co-started with lowtax

SkyTwo
04-13-2008, 09:34 AM
I own all of the MST episodes, and would definitely consider myself to be a profound MSTie. However, I have not ventured out to try Rifftrax or any of the new material. Something in me is a purist and I get nervous about new things like that. Are any of them worth it?

I've seen a couple of the Rifftrax efforts, and they're hit or miss. I will say that I really enjoyed Terminator 3, and Battlefield Earth was a hoot (but talk about fish in a barrel). I haven't seen Troll 2, but the Something Awful connection sounds promising.

And I have to admit that Cinematic Titanic didn't thrill me the way it did most reviewers. It had its moments, but it wasn't 'like old times.' Hopefully that'll change as they get back into the groove. Still, you're cheating yourself by not digging in. There are some losers out there, but even the weakest efforts are at least as good as the later Sci-Fi channel episodes.

SkyTwo
05-31-2008, 04:07 AM
They're going to be releasing three new episodes in coming months, and the trailer for the first is available online.

Why, there's the URL right now!

http://emailclub.cinematictitanic.com/link.php?M=23793&N=27&L=39&F=H

What's that, little URL? Oh, I see. The secret word is timetube. Neat.

I haven't done any digging to find out what the film was originally called. If you can save me the keystrokes, please do. (But I guess I could find out in under 30 seconds if I felt like it.)

tonkatoy
05-31-2008, 04:38 AM
I also like MST3000, I don't have a ton of them, but I have seen a lot of them. I really like the shorts, "preparing for the all important career of being Mrs. something something", and I also loved Mitchel!. They really give ole Joe Don Baker a hard time. I love all the horrible sounds they make every time he moved or drank or ate. I also liked the one with that alien Clompy.

SkyTwo
06-21-2008, 07:04 AM
It's here. The new episode. Doomsday Machine. Available for quick 'n easy download, or by mail with a somewhat snazzy case. Anyone seen it? Anyone intend to see it? Anyone marginally interested in it? Which do you like better-- crinkle cuts or those really thick steak fries?

SkyTwo
07-26-2008, 12:50 PM
Allow me to answer my own question-- the second Cinematic Titanic effort is excellent. I was disappointed by Oozing Skull, but Doomsday Machine really did feel like the good ol' days.

I've also caught some Rifftrax efforts in the last few weeks. Troll 2? Decent. But it made me sad to find that I always find the 'special guests' to be funnier than the MST veterans (see Dark Water and Jurassic Park). As much as I hate to say it, they're coming across as aging hipsters, more focused on timely references (repeated ad nauseum) than funny. But I say that as someone who thought the Sci-Fi channel seasons sucked. Hard. So YMMV.

Did I mention that the trailer for the third Cinematic Titanic release is out? It looks terrible, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

SkyTwo
09-21-2008, 05:59 AM
A little late on this one, but Cinematic Titanic is back for their third installment-- the Roger Corman crypto-classic Wasp Woman.

Anyone? Anyone?

www.cinematictitanic.com

Ren_Ludwig
09-21-2008, 11:32 AM
o

SkyTwo
09-27-2008, 07:31 AM
> Most Choice "Mystery Science Theater 3000" Quotes_

"Trumpy, you can do stupid things!"["Pod People"]
"Pepperidge Farm remembers! Pepperidge Farm Remembers!"["Pod People"]
"It stinks!(whilst gesturing an A-OK sign and smiling)"["Pod People"]
"Sleeep!"["The Undead", "The She Creature", "Operation Double 007", et cetera]
"By the way, my car runs on green peppers, corn, chicken... onions."["Track Of The Moonbeast"]
"Gymkata!"[Various]
"Hykeeba!"[Various]
"It'll be days before they're found, Cornjob will be bl-amed."["Prince Of Space"]
"I don't care!"["Time Of The Apes"]

> I second the notion that "Rifftrax" shreds! I also really enjoy "The Film Crew"[which is basically analogous to "Rifftrax" except they riff the traditional low-budget films] because I really fancy Mike Nelson, Kevin Murphy, and Bill Corbitt.

I'm going to work under the assumption that 'shreds' means the same thing as 'crescent fresh.' I still haven't seen the Film Crew take on Killers From Space (or any take), but it's kinda neat-yet-scary that so many people are still approaching it as a Mike v Joel deal.

Personally, I'll take the Cinematic Titanic version. There's something a little embarassing about guys on the verge of fifty trying to make references to the latest Internet forward. I'll take references to the seventies that I don't always get.

Personal favorite? Possibly "This looks like a great place to sidehack." And for sheer versatility-- "It stinks."

Nice avatar, too. Who is that, and where can I get a pair of those socks?