PDA

View Full Version : Iron Man

KiraHarden
01-19-2008, 02:55 PM
I just saw the previews for Iron Man with Robert Downey Jr in it. He's a great actor. I am looking forward to this one. I never read the books, so I cant offer too much outside of that I'm looking forward to this movie

What are your opinions of this upcomming Movie and them casting Downey as Ironman

Are they staying within the origins story as far as villian. ect.

Teabagger Vance
01-19-2008, 04:05 PM
I'm looking forward to this as well. The trailer looks awesome!

Downey is the right choice for Tony Stark, in my opinion.

From what I have read, they are pretty much staying true to the origin, with some minor changes. In the comics, his origin takes place in Vietnam. For the movie, they change that to Afghanistan. That's understandable.

Also, the Mandarin is supposed to be a villain in the movie, but his role is going to be more of a "behind the scenes" type of villain here. If there is a sequel, then he may play a more prominent role.

Mugai_hentaisha
01-19-2008, 04:38 PM
Looks good to me

I will see it

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
01-19-2008, 04:48 PM
Downey is not the right choice for Tony Starks, he'll pull it off but it's still a joke to any loyal Iron Man reader.

Having followed the comic since I was a child and looking at the who's available in Tinseltown I'm as usual ticked off by the choice made. IMO they fucked this up just like they fucked up casting Hugh Jackman as Wolverine.

British actors that could possibly have played Tony Stark
Cillian Murphy
Joseph Fiennes

American actors that could possibly have played Tony Stark
Matthew McConaughey
and I don't care how old he is now Richard Gere

Tony Stark was a playboy that when he got out of his car had every chick's pussy wet, that ain't Downey Jr. I don't care what you dress him in.

stillies77
01-19-2008, 06:31 PM
Matthew McConaghey as Tony Stark?

I think you have been drinking as much as mr stark himself to think of that one sir haha

Ecstatic
01-19-2008, 06:37 PM
I wouldn't cast a British actor as Tony Stark, per se. Downey is OK casting. Not sure who I would cast were it my choice. But I look forward to it.

NewYorker
01-19-2008, 08:00 PM
I'm looking forward to this as well. The trailer looks awesome!

Downey is the right choice for Tony Stark, in my opinion.

From what I have read, they are pretty much staying true to the origin, with some minor changes. In the comics, his origin takes place in Vietnam. For the movie, they change that to Afghanistan. That's understandable.

Also, the Mandarin is supposed to be a villain in the movie, but his role is going to be more of a "behind the scenes" type of villain here. If there is a sequel, then he may play a more prominent role.

Actually about two or three years ago Marvel updated his origin so that he did become Iron Man in Afghanistan instead of Vietnam. If they had kept the Vietnam origin it would have meant that Stark was pushing 55 at the very least.

stillies77
01-19-2008, 08:09 PM
Obediah Stane (Iron Monger) is going to be the villain...played by Jeff Bridges (THE DUDE ABIDES!)

Harvey Byrdman
01-19-2008, 08:24 PM
Stark was an alcoholic, I think Downey is a great choice. As far as women swooning over someone, the majority I've met are attracted to money.

McB
01-19-2008, 11:03 PM
Tony Stark has emotional baggage with alcoholism. Robert Downey Jr. is a great fit because he knows ALL about this. Plus he is a good actor and his face will be behind an iron mask for parts of the movie. You need an actor who can pull this off and be believable.

BeardedOne
01-19-2008, 11:08 PM
Any guesses as to where Stan Lee will appear? :D

He was mailman Willy Lumkin in F4 and as himself at the wedding in F4/2.

Will he be background (The hotdog vendor in X-Men), a walk-on (The security guard in The Hulk), an heroic bystander (Spiderman), or...?

:)

dabaldone
01-20-2008, 12:57 AM
Tony Stark has emotional baggage with alcoholism. Robert Downey Jr. is a great fit because he knows ALL about this. Plus he is a good actor and his face will be behind an iron mask for parts of the movie. You need an actor who can pull this off and be believable.

I agree 100% Downey is a toutured soul like Tony Stark. Who's to say that a multi-millionaire can't get the girls wet hmmmmmm...?

alpha2117
01-20-2008, 01:13 AM
Downey is not the right choice for Tony Starks, he'll pull it off but it's still a joke to any loyal Iron Man reader.

Having followed the comic since I was a child and looking at the who's available in Tinseltown I'm as usual ticked off by the choice made. IMO they fucked this up just like they fucked up casting Hugh Jackman as Wolverine.

British actors that could possibly have played Tony Stark
Cillian Murphy
Joseph Fiennes

American actors that could possibly have played Tony Stark
Matthew McConaughey
and I don't care how old he is now Richard Gere

Tony Stark was a playboy that when he got out of his car had every chick's pussy wet, that ain't Downey Jr. I don't care what you dress him in.

Huh???? Tony Stark is a enormously talented charismatic self absorbed guy with substance abuse issues ... If that isn't a description of Downey I dont know what is. A big part of Starks attraction to women is he's a ultra rich bad boy ... I'm betting Downey can pull that off just look at his work early in his career.

The four guys you listed are unimaginable in the role to me.

As for your comments in regards to Jackman ... what are you on ... sure he's too tall but then again so is most anyone but if ever someone got the essence of the character right it was him. Wolverine comes off gruff and not giving a damn but is secretly underneath sensitive and noble and Jackman nailed it.