PDA

View Full Version : Air..................................

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
01-16-2008, 07:55 PM
http://www.infosyncworld.net/resources/products/apple/apple_macbook_air_i00.jpg

http://www.infosyncworld.net/resources/products/apple/apple_macbook_air_i03.jpg

http://www.infosyncworld.net/resources/products/apple/apple_macbook_air_i02.jpg

Thank you Steve

kalina
01-16-2008, 08:15 PM
Although I usually jump at the chance of using sexy new technology, I have to say an 80GB hard disk is just not enough for what I do. This thing is a glorified email client/web browser!

hondarobot
01-16-2008, 08:18 PM
What the hell is the deal with that clunky keyboard? It looks like it's custom designed for people suffering from finger Gigantism.

Note to Steve Jobs: Fix the iPhone and unlock the damn thing. Quit fooling around with nonsense.

:smh

Ecstatic
01-16-2008, 08:31 PM
Although I usually jump at the chance of using sexy new technology, I have to say an 80GB hard disk is just not enough for what I do. This thing is a glorified email client/web browser!

Pretty cool, but an $1800 email client/web browser is a bit steep! I think it's more a sign of things to come. I can't even imagine what tech will be like in ten years; good thing I'll be retired by then!

the_corner
01-16-2008, 08:41 PM
Well... the machine looks good... I stick to my macbook pro... not as portable... but portable and slim enough... and powerful enough....

About the keyboard.... the keyboard on apple portables is one of the things I really like... it really feels like shit to type in one of those "ultra portable" keyboards... where the keys are all small... and/or misplaced in weird places of the keyboard....

By the way, it is not about having giant fingers... it is about being used to a desk size keyboard and then having to relearn to type using those mini small keyboards from sony and others....

SarahG
01-16-2008, 09:18 PM

Pretty cool, but an $1800 email client/web browser is a bit steep! I think it's more a sign of things to come. I can't even imagine what tech will be like in ten years; good thing I'll be retired by then!

80gb is pathetically small. Apple laptops have been using 80gb hd's since 2003. Its like an unwritten rule that mac laptops have to use insufficient storage devices.

tgirlzoe
01-16-2008, 09:25 PM
I was hoping that apple would reduce the screen size. They don't even make 12" Macbook Pros anymore. I think I may look into the Asus Eee PC when they release the 8.9" screen version this year. It's one of the smallest x86 laptops, my tablet having an ARM chip in it. There are a couple of small x86 handhelds but they're insanely expensive and I'm looking for something more usable than my tablet.

AnandTech has a short article (http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=3201) on the Low-Voltage Merom chip that Apple requested from Intel that wasn't normally available. Hopefully, it will be updated soon with a Penryn chip, which will be faster, cooler and have a longer battery life.

80GB internal is fine for me. But Samsung released a 160GB 1.8" drive last year, why not that? I guess it's the cost factor. Hitachi also announced a 500GB 2.5", and Asus is putting two together to make a terabyte laptop! Crazy. Anyway, if you need room, that's what external hard drives and NAS are for.

Oh, and Apple released an NAS as well yesterday. Keeping with the Leopard "Time Machine" theme, they released "Time Capsule".

My roommate just picked up Leopard for his G4 PowerBook, which came yesterday. He hasn't installed it yet, pending the arrival of some other upgrades (didn't ask, RAM, I assume). I'm curious.

However, I'm still just a Linux geek....

ottorocket
01-16-2008, 09:28 PM
80gb?? Thats the biggest joke yet besides this one Steve...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JixbzFjv_cU&feature=related

SarahG
01-16-2008, 09:29 PM
80GB internal is fine for me. But Samsung released a 160GB 1.8" drive last year, why not that? I guess it's the cost factor.

I doubt that, mac buyers aren't hugely concerned about what it costs to feed their addiction.

Apple was probably assuming that any user who cares about storage wouldn't be using a laptop as their only computer... and people who only have a laptop as a computer are probably one of the dumb computer masses who do only use it for browsing the web & word.

muhmuh
01-16-2008, 11:52 PM
too slim for a network port => epic fail

RevolveR.
01-17-2008, 01:37 AM
It does look good but laptops are beginning to go down the same road as mobile phones in trying to be as thin as possible. I personally would prefer a laptop with a bit of weight rather than one that's going to blow off your knee if you've got air-conditioning! It's another novelty and it won't be long before they go back up a size.

whatislove
01-17-2008, 03:21 AM
80GB is still a ton of storage. You can even stick a fair amount of video in there. Other than video, What people using productivity apps could use more storage?

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
01-17-2008, 04:15 AM
80GB internal is fine for me. But Samsung released a 160GB 1.8" drive last year, why not that? I guess it's the cost factor.

I doubt that, mac buyers aren't hugely concerned about what it costs to feed their addiction.

Apple was probably assuming that any user who cares about storage wouldn't be using a laptop as their only computer... and people who only have a laptop as a computer are probably one of the dumb computer masses who do only use it for browsing the web & word.

ty Sarah & JT

I think people thought I was posting this as a solution to desktops & current laptops. I have a Macbook Pro and would never replace it with this, BUT I would happily take this to meetings, conferences, Starbucks, on business trips.

One other thing, I keep lots of important data on web servers as backup, an 80gig hard drive is just temporary space

TomSelis
01-17-2008, 04:27 AM
I don't know the specs on this, but I saw it on the news this morning. Does it use a flash HD?

BrendaQG
01-17-2008, 04:32 AM
@JWBL

I see where you are comming from on this. Basically you would see this as a companion for a desktop pc or a bigger laptop pc. One which could connect to the bigger computer and use it's resources via a network.

For power users like those in that thread that makes allot of sense.

For the average person though I don't see where this fits. I mean most people I know don't have a full home network... just a pc pluged right into a cable modem or dialup modem. It's a novelty with limited appeal for that reason.

peggygee
01-17-2008, 05:02 AM
It's cute, and a portend of things to come.

But for portability I've already got a thin and light
laptop, along with my smartphones that meet my
needs.

For 'heavy lifting' (video editing, etc) I've got my
desktops which are networked and that's working
for me.

muhmuh
01-17-2008, 07:19 AM
I see where you are comming from on this. Basically you would see this as a companion for a desktop pc or a bigger laptop pc. One which could connect to the bigger computer and use it's resources via a network.

For power users like those in that thread that makes allot of sense.

someone who fits that description wont buy a notebook without gbit ethernet and wimax
or actually those probably wont buy apple anyway