PDA

View Full Version : Barbecued Ribs 101...by request...

chefmike
01-04-2008, 11:19 PM
From the 'World in 2008' thread in the P&R section:

And chefmike will post his recipies on the General Forum.

Where you been, huckleberry? Polishing the rocket? I've submitted/answered several recipe posts in the HA snakepit...however I have yet to share my recipe for dried sour cherry sauce(for roasted duck)which is now in it's final revision...so simple, yet so sublime...

Fuck the duck, the skin is the best part, the meat's good also, the sauce is an added bonus. Tell me how to cook country style pork ribs and make it succulent!

OK ezed, I'll put up some BBQ 101 tips in the General Forum...you yankees need all the help that you can get in that department...although there is a great BBQ restaurant in Cambridge that is owned by a southern BBQ guru...

First and foremost, this could take a while...because as a native Virginian, I take my BBQ just as seriously as do my neighbors in NC(which is the mecca for true pork BBQ)...I could talk for hours about BBQ, one of America's greatest culinary traditions...preferably over many cold beers and the smoky smell of a slow-roasted swine over a wood fire nearby...

True BBQ is cooked over wood(preferably) or charcoal...gas grills and wood chips are a poor substitute and a last resort...more about that later...

I'll start with a shortcut method that uses both your oven and grill(I'm assuming that you aren't using a home or pro smoker, pit, etc.) Country-style ribs require more cooking than spareribs or babybacks, but this method will work for any type of ribs if the time is adjusted accordingly. The first rule of BBQ is "low and slow", but this method gives you a shortcut.

Good BBQ is about the rub, not the sauce. I'll post some rub, baste, and sauce recipes later...I rub my ribs with yellow ballpark mustard before I put on the rub. You want to rub a nice coating on your ribs, but don't cake it on...as that could result in overly salty ribs. After you've given your ribs a good rubbing, cover them tightly with aluminum foil and put them in a preheated 400 degree oven. I'd give country-style ribs about 2 hours in the oven. Transfer your ribs to the grill, you will then cook them off of the direct heat of the coals or gas...the best wood(or wood chip) for ribs is hickory(I also add some oak when I have it, mesquite is for beef brisket.) You can now smoke your ribs for as long as you can stand it, but if you're in a hurry an hour or so should do it...do not apply sauce until the last half-hour on the grill! You can baste your ribs before that, but we'll have to go into that later this weekend...class is now open for questions but I can't promise you mooks an answer until I drop in later tonight or tomorrow...

BBaggins06
01-04-2008, 11:32 PM
From the 'World in 2008' thread in the P&R section:

[quote=chefmike]

First and foremost, this could take a while...because as a native Virginian, I take my BBQ just as seriously as do my neighbors in NC(which is the mecca for true pork BBQ)...I could talk for hours about BBQ, one of America's greatest culinary traditions...preferably over many cold beers and the smoky smell of a slow-roasted swine over a wood fire nearby...

True BBQ is cooked over wood(preferably) or charcoal...gas grills and wood chips are a poor substitute and a last resort...more about that later...

I'll start with a shortcut method that uses both your oven and grill(I'm assuming that you aren't using a home or pro smoker, pit, etc.) Country-style ribs require more cooking than spareribs or babybacks, but this method will work for any type of ribs if the time is adjusted accordingly. The first rule of BBQ is "low and slow", but this method gives you a shortcut.

Good BBQ is about the rub, not the sauce. I'll post some rub, baste, and sauce recipes later...I rub my ribs with yellow ballpark mustard before I put on the rub. You want to rub a nice coating on your ribs, but don't cake it on...as that could result in overly salty ribs. After you've given your ribs a good rubbing, cover them tightly with aluminum foil and put them in a preheated 400 degree oven. I'd give country-style ribs about 2 hours in the oven. Transfer your ribs to the grill, you will then cook them off of the direct heat of the coals or gas...the best wood(or wood chip) for ribs is hickory(I also add some oak when I have it, mesquite is for beef brisket.) You can now smoke your ribs for as long as you can stand it, but if you're in a hurry an hour or so should do it...do not apply sauce until the last half-hour on the grill! You can baste your ribs before that, but we'll have to go into that later this weekend...class is now open for questions but I can't promise you mooks an answer until I drop in later tonight or tomorrow...

Hmm, interesting. I'll have to try it out once the weather thaws out in April. Thanks Mike. Mahalo

Matt

xxxsexyd
01-05-2008, 12:22 AM
I don't have a grill, is it possible to cook it all the way through in the over? LOL I know that's cheating but I am not really into grilling, maybe I should get a cook as a husband...

Realgirls4me
01-05-2008, 12:30 AM
What do you recommend for someone using a hibatchi, and what are your thoughts on carne asada?

chefmike
01-05-2008, 12:33 AM
I don't have a grill, is it possible to cook it all the way through in the over? LOL I know that's cheating but I am not really into grilling, maybe I should get a cook as a husband...

Not a problem, just extend the oven time and when the ribs are almost falling off the bone, lower the heat to about 300, uncover and sauce the ribs, then cook another 20 or 30 minutes until you have a nice glaze on them. Watch them closely so your sauce doesn't burn. And don't forget to have fun while you're doing it!

chefmike
01-05-2008, 12:36 AM
What do you recommend for someone using a hibatchi, and what are your thoughts on carne asada? I gotta jet, real. I'll get back to ya later, mon!

ezed
01-05-2008, 04:42 AM

Not a problem, just extend the oven time and when the ribs are almost falling off the bone, lower the heat to about 300, uncover and sauce the ribs, then cook another 20 or 30 minutes until you have a nice glaze on them. Watch them closely so your sauce doesn't burn. And don't forget to have fun while you're doing it!

I am copying and pasting all this to a word doc. Can't wait for the rub, baste and sauce.

I like the ball park mustard idea. And I do have a smoker! :D

whatsupwithat
01-05-2008, 05:20 AM
mustard...never would of thought of that. gracias, chefmike! :)

TomSelis
01-05-2008, 07:38 AM
Damn, this really made me hungry.

chefmike
01-05-2008, 08:21 AM

I am copying and pasting all this to a word doc. Can't wait for the rub, baste and sauce.

I like the ball park mustard idea. And I do have a smoker! :D

If you have smoker, ezed, you have the option of doing them from start to finish on your smoker. It takes a MINIMUM of 6 hrs. to get them right that way, though. It's not as easy as it sounds. Cooking a boston butt for shredded pork BBQ sandwiches is much easier, but that also takes a minimum of 6 hrs.

chefmike
01-05-2008, 08:48 AM
What do you recommend for someone using a hibatchi, and what are your thoughts on carne asada?

My shortcut method would work fine with an Hibachi. Your only limitation would be how much grill space you have when finishing your ribs on the grill. I guess you'd have to use charcoal and some hickory chips(be sure to soak the chips first.) Carne Asada? Are you asking about my thoughts on cooking technique or the marinade, real?

Realgirls4me
01-05-2008, 08:50 AM
Marinade, and how long do you keep it marinaded?

:)

chefmike
01-05-2008, 09:02 AM
Meats should be marinaded 4-6 hrs. and poultry 2-4 hrs.
I don't have a personal recipe for the marinade but here's some good ones:

1 white onion
3 scallions
3 cloves garlic
1/2 bunch cilantro with stems
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons Adobo Goya
1/2 cup red wine

Blend all ingredients in blender.

4 garlic cloves
1 jalapeno
1 large handful fresh cilantro leaves
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 limes, juiced
1 orange, juiced
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil

Blend all ingredients in blender.

Damn, now I'm getting hungry!

chefmike
01-05-2008, 10:10 AM
Some rubs:

2 tbsp salt
4 tbsp sugar(I prefer light brown sugar)
4 tbsp paprika
2 tbsp cumin
2 tbsp black pepper
2 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cayenne pepper(optional)

Another one:

2 tbsp salt
4 tbsp sugar(preferably light brown)
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp ground coriander
2 tbsp chili powder
4 tbsp paprika
2 tbsp black pepper
1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon leaf thyme
1 tbsp cayenne pepper(optional)

Both of these recipes make about a cup of rub.

Don't be afraid to play around with them, try new ingredients, and make them your own. Just be sure to keep the sugar to salt ratio 2:1. Store any leftover rub in a tightly sealed jar.

Here is the only rub that you'll ever need if you're smoking a pork butt for shredded BBQ:

1/2 cup coarse salt(kosher works fine)
1/2 cup coarse black pepper
1/4 cup cayenne FLAKES(not powder)

Apply generously.

ILuvGurls
01-05-2008, 03:10 PM

i do this as well....cook them in the oven at about 200 degrees for about 5 hours and then put them on the grill to brown ......mmmmmmmm good.

chefmike
01-05-2008, 10:04 PM
Ezed, in regards to your country ribs...it just occured to me that I haven't used them in a long time. I prefer spareribs for true BBQ, although babybacks will suffice. Anyway, country ribs are basically just fatty pork chops, and I've rethought the cooking method that I originally recommended to you. I would just skip the oven roasting in my shortcut method when using country ribs. Proceed directly to your grill or smoker, and cook/baste them off of the heat at about 225 degrees. Add your sauce when they are just about ready to take off. My apologies, it was late and I'm a sparerib or pork butt man when it comes to hogs.

So I'm going to explain the shortcut method in further detail:

Country-style ribs: proceed directly to grill or smoker, and baste generously.

Baby-back ribs: I/2 hr to 1 hr in oven, then proceed to grill or smoker.

Spareribs: 1 to 2 hrs. in oven, then proceed to grill or smoker.

Also on the rub recipes, feel free to add 1 tbsp of granulated garlic and/or onion to them. A variation you might also want to try is replacing 1/2 of the paprika in the rubs with jerk seasoning.

chefmike
01-05-2008, 10:32 PM
On to basting aka mopping sauces:

This is a sauce used during the long cooking process, applied with a brush or a mop, depending on the size of the piece of meat involved. The sauce can range from complicated concoctions of herbs, spices, and vinegar to just plain warm beer. It's purpose is to keep the meat moist. Sugar and ketchup are generally not included because they burn during cooking.

A typical basting recipe:

1/2 gallon white vinegar
2 warm beers
1/4 cup cayenne pepper
2 secret ingredients of your choice

ohioboy
01-05-2008, 10:34 PM
Man i havent had a good slab of ribs in a long time.

chefmike
01-05-2008, 10:58 PM
Finishing sauces...keep in mind that many BBQ fiends don't sauce their ribs until they are off of the grill and on the table...like I said, it's all about the rub...

Eastern NC style:

1 cup white vinegar
1 cup cider vinegar
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 tbsp tabasco sauce
Salt and pepper to taste

Western NC style:

1 cup white vinegar
1 cup cider vinegar
2 tbsp sugar
1/2 cup yellow mustard
1 cup ketchup
1 tbsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 tbsp tabasco sauce
Salt and pepper to taste

NC BBQ sauces are too vinegary for some people, so feel free to play with the sugar to vinegar ratios. And there's no shame in doctoring up a store bought sauce. If you want to do it that way, I would suggest using a sauce like KC Masterpiece combined with a NC style sauce until you get the flavor that you want.
I've got some other recipes for basic BBQ sauces that I'll post later...along with my recipe for Tidewater coleslaw that is essential for a BBQ pulled pork sandwich. And yes, I'm getting hungry again...

chefmike
01-05-2008, 11:00 PM
PS: there's no need to cook these NC sauces, just mix 'em up and serve!

Realgirls4me
01-06-2008, 01:47 AM
Thanks, Mike. There are supposedly three or four good "butcher shops" here in this area that sell meat already marinaded and ready for the grill, and the waits can be excruciating at this one place in Chula Vista, but I just wanted your take on it since I don't know how to marinade carne asada.

:)

ezed
01-06-2008, 05:02 AM
Thanks Chefmike! You got me copying and pasting like that illuminatti broad from the past. What was her name? Jamie? ( not the current TS Jamie, this was from way back)

It's in a word doc which I will study and go to work once it get's above freezing for good.

That was fantastic, it was just what I was looking for!

I used to use the smoker alot when I was in Texas. Had an orgasmic beef brisket recipe and did smoke turkeys for thanksgiving. Lived in a condo then and could spend 6 to 8 hours, feeding the wood and doing the prep work, and drinking the whole time. Those were good times.

chefmike
01-07-2008, 05:06 PM
The following is a whimsical idea from one of my favorite BBQ gurus that I may add to my superbowl munchies. He says that it's delicious. I've never tried it before but it sounds like fun.

Barbecued Bologna

Rub 1 3 lb. stick of bologna with about 3/4 cup rub. Grill bologna off the heat and allow it to smoke for about an hour. Cut bologna into 1/2 inch thick slices. Slap it between two slices of cheap white bread with some BBQ sauce and a little coleslaw.

Serving suggestions:

Either bottled chocolate soda or RC cola and a Moon Pie!

chefmike
01-07-2008, 05:15 PM
Tidewater Coleslaw

I head green cabbage, finely shredded
2 carrots, finely grated
1 1/2 cups commercial mayo
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/3 cup sugar
salt and pepper to taste

Mix up your sauce and add to cabbage and carrots in a large bowl. Mix well. Refrigerate until serving time.
This is another recipe that you can adjust the vinegar to sugar ratios to suit your taste. I personally use more vinegar and less sugar when I make this.

chefmike
01-08-2008, 09:35 AM
So do we have any takers on the barbecued bologna?

chefmike
05-25-2008, 04:19 AM
Have a nice Memorial Day weekend, enjoy some BBQ, and don't forget to give a thought to America's fallen soldiers in all wars past and present.

Peace.

latrix67
05-26-2008, 12:53 AM
Have a nice Memorial Day weekend, enjoy some BBQ, and don't forget to give a thought to America's fallen soldiers in all wars past and present.

Peace.

Dont forget your allies too!
L67

Chefmike-check PM!

TomSelis
05-26-2008, 01:06 AM
Yo! Mike!

You got a memphis styled sauce?

chefmike
05-26-2008, 05:03 AM

Peace.

Dont forget your allies too!
L67

Chefmike-check PM!

Good point, L67. I was remiss in not mentioning our comrades-in-arms from other countries. I hope all is well with you and I'll check my PM's...if I know you it has some tasty and kinky links enclosed...

chefmike
05-26-2008, 05:11 AM
Yo! Mike!

You got a memphis styled sauce?

I'll be glad to check my favorite BBQ mentors for a good one, Tom. But it may take a while. I'm doing some catering this weekend in addition to enjoying some well deserved R&R!