PDA

View Full Version : can a man look good in a convertible?

jamesb121
01-04-2008, 02:39 AM
So here i am, just picked up the new demo from work, driving roof down playing a bit of Elvis Costello and The Attractions, i stop at the traffic lights and i see this group of kids pointing and laughing at me. It wasn't until i caught my reflection in a shop window that i realised how tragic i looked.

Is it just me or can single men not look good in a convertible? Im still young(ish) thought i looked pretty good, but seeing myself i thought 'you look like a dick!)

ill look forward to your thoughts

JB

Quinn
01-04-2008, 02:47 AM
IMO, conertibles are cool for either gender at any age. If you want one, I say go for it.

-Quinn

jamesb121
01-04-2008, 02:50 AM
ill be getting back in the XF asap, i can hide and the AC is better than the 'windswept and intresting' look

Dino Velvet
01-04-2008, 02:59 AM
If you drive this, you're as manly as Clint Eastwood.
http://www.ssip.net/upload/porsche-carrera-gt-front-1_21.jpg

If you drive this, you just gave Nathan Lane a rimjob.
http://www.kwagnerhome.com/Kirks/Miatas/miagap02/barbie.jpg

T.OFred
01-04-2008, 03:00 AM
Yes, in a roadster (2 seat). i.e. Cadillac XLR, Mercedes SL, Viper srt10.

No in 4 seater. i.e. Mercedes CLK, Toyota Solara, BMW 3series, Lexus SC...etc..

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
01-04-2008, 03:01 AM
I saw this dude the other day in a Saleen Mustang black on black hardtop, never questioned it.........

that is a tough lookin ride

KiraHarden
01-04-2008, 03:01 AM

What a pretty pink car! I want it :peanutbutter

BiCuriousGeorge
01-04-2008, 03:02 AM
I have a convertible and I've never been laughed at that I know of. Maybe they were laughing at the Elvis Costello music. Younger kids don't like that type of music. I laugh at my parents 60's music and kids now laugh at my 80's music. Besides if you like the car than drive it, who cares about a bunch of kids anyway!

KiraHarden
01-04-2008, 03:06 AM
I saw this huge guys like 6-6 driving some little convertable, it looked like half his body was outside the car. It looked really funny. I did Laugh at him.

Dino Velvet
01-04-2008, 03:10 AM

That Miata might not have enough headroom for you... I don't mean for giving head. You're pretty tall.

Willie Escalade
01-04-2008, 03:10 AM
If you're in a '64 Impala SS, no one laughs at you.

The same goes for Bentley Continental GTs.

A Miata? A definite no-no...unless you're road racing it. And even though I do like the 3 series 'verts (including the M3), I still see it as the daughter's car.

KiraHarden
01-04-2008, 03:19 AM

That Miata might not have enough headroom for you... I don't mean for giving head. You're pretty tall.
Ok I dont want to look like the guy I was laughing at who was too tall for his car..

jamesb121
01-04-2008, 03:23 AM
im lucky, im only 5'10, its funny when you get out the XK no one expects you to have a british accent, i do feel a bit like James Bond (but without the guns or the gadgets)

kalina
01-04-2008, 03:39 AM
So here i am, just picked up the new demo from work, driving roof down playing a bit of Elvis Costello and The Attractions, i stop at the traffic lights and i see this group of kids pointing and laughing at me. It wasn't until i caught my reflection in a shop window that i realised how tragic i looked.

Is it just me or can single men not look good in a convertible? Im still young(ish) thought i looked pretty good, but seeing myself i thought 'you look like a dick!)

JB

It's hard to say this without offending at least someone on here so here goes... some guys look good in convertibles but if you're a balding old man, it would look funny... just trust me... it would look funny... and it doesn't help that you were playing Elvis Costello in front of the kids. Kids want to hear kid hop (hip hop for kids).

Nowhere
01-04-2008, 04:14 AM

JB

What do you define as "young(ish)?"

I'm going to make a random guess that you're in your 40s, given the choice of Elvis Costello, whose face in the eye peaked in the 80s (and at best, slightly in the early 90s).

There is the stereotype of the "mid-life crisis car", and you may have just fit that (inadvertently).

If you want something that wouldn't make the kids laugh, get something strong, big and subdued (as in, not a red corvette, miata or viper). In fact, I see that as a rule of thumb for anything and everything as you get older. Keep it subdued and classy, and you'll look as you should be, mature, having your act together and definitely not a fool:

muhmuh
01-04-2008, 05:43 AM
Keep it subdued and classy, and you'll look as you should be, mature, having your act together and definitely not a fool:

which doesnt work in a womans car like an slk

starting from 1:45 this say pretty much all about convertibles... any convertible
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-abkTuzpmI

Quinn
01-04-2008, 05:46 AM

A Miata? A definite no-no...unless you're road racing it. And even though I do like the 3 series 'verts (including the M3), I still see it as the daughter's car.

I would have to agree. Where I came from, a miata was definitely viewed as being a chick car. Guys would give shit to any other guy who had one, convertible or not.

-Quinn

odelay24
01-04-2008, 05:46 AM

JB

It's awesome to see you being so honest with yourself. I'm only 20, and I can tell you, if I see anyone in a convertible, I automatically think they're a douche; the more expensive the car, the bigger the douche.
Sorry, but yeah.

Nowhere
01-04-2008, 06:12 AM
Keep it subdued and classy, and you'll look as you should be, mature, having your act together and definitely not a fool:

which doesnt work in a womans car like an slk

starting from 1:45 this say pretty much all about convertibles... any convertible
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-abkTuzpmI

That isn't an SLK, it's an SL65. :roll:

And Ferraris are too over the top for me.

Realgirls4me
01-04-2008, 06:22 AM
So here i am, just picked up the new demo from work, driving roof down playing a bit of Elvis Costello and The Attractions, i stop at the traffic lights and i see this group of kids pointing and laughing at me. It wasn't until i caught my reflection in a shop window that i realised how tragic i looked. ...

JB

Did your toupee perhaps flap off to one side?

Joke! Joke! Joke!

:)

justatransgirl
01-04-2008, 07:05 AM
Well it wasn't mine, but before I transitioned a friend let me borrow his Rolls Royce Corniche Convertible for an event.

And I had a photo taken in front of my house... damm I looked good!

And NO I'm not even going to post that photo. :-)

And after the photo, the stupid car wouldn't start and I ended up driving my pick-up truck...

Cured me of ever wanting a Rolls...

Giggle,
TS Jamie :-)

JANIRA
01-04-2008, 07:17 AM
EEEEEK!!!!!! A MAN IN A CONVERTIBLE , GROSS.. ALL YOU NEED NOW TO REALLY FIT THE STEREOTYPE IS A RESEEDING HAIRLINE, A OPEN POLYESTER SHIRT WITH FOOLS GOLD HANGING ROUND YA NECK , WHILE SPORTING YOUUR NEW SPRAY ON TAN. " Convertibles"HAVE THE WORD MIDLIFE CRISIS WRIITEN ALL OVER IT,, NO MATTER WHAT AGE YOU ARE. ..... JUST MY POV.

justatransgirl
01-04-2008, 07:40 AM
EEEEEK!!!!!! A MAN IN A CONVERTIBLE , GROSS.. ALL YOU NEED NOW TO REALLY FIT THE STEREOTYPE IS A RESEEDING HAIRLINE, A OPEN POLYESTER SHIRT WITH FOOLS GOLD HANGING ROUND YA NECK , WHILE SPORTING YOUUR NEW SPRAY ON TAN. " Convertibles"HAVE THE WORD MIDLIFE CRISIS WRIITEN ALL OVER IT,, NO MATTER WHAT AGE YOU ARE. ..... JUST MY POV.

Too funny... Oh God, and without the receeding hairline and spray on tan, you described my photo perfectly.

So does that mean my entire transition is just a mid-life crisis? Strange I don't feel like a cross dresser. But I do have a 23 year old girlfriend.

Giggle,

Dino Velvet
01-04-2008, 07:54 AM
WHILE SPORTING YOUUR NEW SPRAY ON TAN.

You forgot his new spray on hair. I worked for a guy who used that stuff. He was a Dego Sicilian in his 50s with curly hair(half eggplant wink-wink). Anyway, he would cover his bald spot with the stuff and think that it worked. It looked ridiculous and the worst part was he was like 5'6'' so anybody taller could get a good laugh too. He didn't drive a convertible but he drove a purple Navigator with so much gold trim that only a Persian would think it looked cool.

Nowhere
01-04-2008, 08:13 AM

There is truth to this:

kalina
01-04-2008, 08:19 AM
I dunno... it really depends on how you present yourself. If you're a damn handsome guy, it doesn't matter if you're driving a convertible or a family sedan. So many guys just wear the strangest things when they're driving their convertibles; that's why there are so many stereotypes out there. If you're too young-looking and good-looking, people might think your parents bought you your car. The unfortunate stereotype for women is people might think they probably didn't buy their car; their dad or their boyfriend bought it for them.

Realgirls4me
01-04-2008, 08:43 AM
It doesn't matter whether a guy looks like Race Bannon, Barney Rubble, or something in between them, the following convertible would make any guy look good (he's got taste for the finer things for one thing).

JANIRA
01-04-2008, 08:47 AM
WHILE SPORTING YOUUR NEW SPRAY ON TAN.

You forgot his new spray on hair. I worked for a guy who used that stuff. He was a Dego Sicilian in his 50s with curly hair(half eggplant wink-wink). Anyway, he would cover his bald spot with the stuff and think that it worked. It looked ridiculous and the worst part was he was like 5'6'' so anybody taller could get a good laugh too. He didn't drive a convertible but he drove a purple Navigator with so much gold trim that only a Persian would think it looked cool.

OMg YES. Remember that,, loll ,, it was a informerical about that spray in hair..I used to watch that with my best friend when i was teeanger,, we used to smoke a doobi, and crack the hell up to that. The funniest part was when they would bring these so called "Audience " member who swore they are not paid actors and are to demonstrate on them.. and the OOOOOH & AHHHHHHHS of the crowd.. :roll: Mind you my friends uncle who she was staying with swore by it, and on 1 of our doobi highs we got his can of " SPRAY-O- HAIR,, and used to it to color our white keds black. Imagine how he felt when we woke the next morning and had no hair to spray on.......... :lol: (sighs) The good ol' days :cry:

Dino Velvet
01-04-2008, 08:53 AM
I can't believe men fell for that shit. Picture an infomercial with that Billy Mays guy selling Miracle Spray-On Cock with a guarantee to add 3 or 4 inches. You know there's guys that would be dialing the 800# to buy it. Dude that sells Oxy Clean can't be wrong!

JANIRA
01-04-2008, 08:56 AM
a few tgirls would be calling that number too....loll Oxyclean is complete utter shit!!!!!! Im sorry aint nothing that removes better than good 'ol clorox. People can be soo gullible

jamesb121
01-04-2008, 11:51 PM
For the record im 25, just i come from a country where convertibles are totally pointless!

i thought i'd get my suave on, but ended up looking like a tosser.

It's now saloon cars for the rest of my days, i cant deal with the shame of looking like a tit who has to try so hard.

deke
01-04-2008, 11:59 PM
Maybe a guy can look good in a Jeep with the top down....

Dino Velvet
01-04-2008, 11:59 PM
For the record im 25, just i come from a country where convertibles are totally pointless!

i thought i'd get my suave on, but ended up looking like a tosser.

It's now saloon cars for the rest of my days, i cant deal with the shame of looking like a tit who has to try so hard.

Sorry neighbor, American over here. What is a "Saloon Car"? Kind of sounds like a bar on wheels. I've had a few of those. It even doubles as a brothel when a pretty lady is riding shotgun.

My truck + Fifth Of Jack Daniels In The Cup Holder = Saloon Car

jamesb121
01-05-2008, 12:04 AM
a 'sedan' my bad

4ever_ngt
01-05-2008, 01:05 AM
2words for ya...Lamborghini Gallardo..there's nothing sexier than the drop top Lambo driving down Sunset Blvd at night....Gay, St8, bi , trans, ulgy, or old all become instantly Hot & fuckable in that car

SarahG
01-09-2008, 10:13 AM
Well it wasn't mine, but before I transitioned a friend let me borrow his Rolls Royce Corniche Convertible for an event.

And I had a photo taken in front of my house... damm I looked good!

And NO I'm not even going to post that photo. :-)

And after the photo, the stupid car wouldn't start and I ended up driving my pick-up truck...

Cured me of ever wanting a Rolls...

Giggle,

Yea, if these British cars are anything its not reliable. You know something is wrong when Ford buys you out and your reliability goes up ( :cough: Jag...).

peggygee
01-20-2008, 07:50 AM
As a woman, I don't want the wind to fuck up my hair.

And also I wear contact lenses sometimes, and I don't
wanna get dirt and grit in them, so I'll stick with an ACed
vehicle.

:shrug

djbj_2_2_69
01-20-2008, 09:33 AM
if the car can be considered either a roadster (i.e Honda S2000 or Pontiac Solstice) or an old school muscle car (69 camaro) then yea your pimp. even the newer Mazda MX-5 looks like a fun car to drive and has come a long way from the odd lima bean shaped car it was.

so Solara or Sebrings tho...

Dkg
01-20-2008, 09:46 AM
Sure, why not. I have a spyder and never once have I been laughed at or made fun of, and I don't see why I ever would.

Paladin
03-27-2008, 05:25 AM
If you don't look good OUT of a convertible, then you won't look good IN one either!! Especially if you'r fat, balding etc.

I look great in both of my convertibles, and my wife looks fantastic in her Miata :P

Paladin
03-27-2008, 05:35 AM

And if you're in a '68 Cadillac (or any classic Cadillac convertible) those in the '64 Impalas bow down in homage to you

The miata (before 2001) was often referred to as a "barbie car" by the trade press...

Willie Escalade
03-27-2008, 07:01 AM
And if you're in a '68 Cadillac (or any classic Cadillac convertible) those in the '64 Impalas bow down in homage to you

The miata (before 2001) was often referred to as a "barbie car" by the trade press...
I had the opportunity to cruise in my buddy's 1971 Cadillac Eldorado on first Crenshaw, then Sunset Blvd one night. Let's just say we all got a lot of play from that car. People tend to notice clean rides with 22 inch Dana Danes wrapped in Vogues. Even though I wasn't driving, I felt like Priest. :wink:

The car below is commonplace here in LA. For good reason!