PDA

View Full Version : New Years Resolutions

Tarissa
01-01-2008, 09:38 AM
Hi All,
I look back on my resolutions from last year and did pretty well. Grew my hair much longer, no more acrylic nails, blah, blah blah. Most importantly I gained confidence. At the request of an old boyfriend I started training in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in January. I am now a 2 stripe blue belt and moving up the belt ranks. BJJ (not BJ) is a martial art that puts you in control if you are on the ground with a larger person that is trying to take advantage "unless it is concentual :) ". With attacks that occur against some of our community I believe it is necessary to be able to disable any aggressor and protect ourselves. BJJ gives us girls that ability regardless of the size of our attacker. I am now able to control much larger guys that are unfamiliar with this art. Search youtube and you will see smaller women controlling large guys and forcing them to submit or suffer. I just wanted to share this as a possible resolution for the New Year since we are all vulnerable and can take control of our safety and lives.
Happy New Year,
Tarissa

Legend
01-01-2008, 09:41 AM
That's admirable but what if the attacker has a gun that bjj is useless.

Tarissa
01-01-2008, 09:53 AM
That's admirable but what if the attacker has a gun that bjj is useless.If the attacker shoots you are right. If not then the attacker will be susceptible to stand up defense which will end up with him (or her) on the ground and unable to fire a gun for a very long time. I would rather know how to defend myself in case there is a chance that I would not be shot if that is their intention.

Thatiger23
01-01-2008, 11:09 AM
Hi All,
I look back on my resolutions from last year and did pretty well. Grew my hair much longer, no more acrylic nails, blah, blah blah. Most importantly I gained confidence. At the request of an old boyfriend I started training in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in January. I am now a 2 stripe blue belt and moving up the belt ranks. BJJ (not BJ) is a martial art that puts you in control if you are on the ground with a larger person that is trying to take advantage "unless it is concentual :) ". With attacks that occur against some of our community I believe it is necessary to be able to disable any aggressor and protect ourselves. BJJ gives us girls that ability regardless of the size of our attacker. I am now able to control much larger guys that are unfamiliar with this art. Search youtube and you will see smaller women controlling large guys and forcing them to submit or suffer. I just wanted to share this as a possible resolution for the New Year since we are all vulnerable and can take control of our safety and lives.
Happy New Year,
Tarissa

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is great if your grapling but in a fist fight its basically useless i did tournaments with mixed martial arts and took down quite a few guys that did Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. But once you are on the ground it is a wrap. Good luck with the training and happy new year

boris58
01-01-2008, 06:16 PM
It beats a blank. Keep training.

Tarissa
01-01-2008, 07:53 PM
Thanks Tiger and Boris. It beats not having any defense and it is a great workout as well. Have a Happy.