PDA

View Full Version : Rap and hip hop: R.I.P.

loosenoose24
12-31-2007, 05:26 AM
I have to get this off my chest. Stop playing shitty rap at clubs. Soulja boi is shit. The lyrics don't mean anything. Rap and hip hop no longer have substance. It died with Public Enemy and Eazy E.
I can't tell you how annoying it is to be in a club somewhere and hear some retard shout "Crank That Soulja Boi!" or as was the case a few years ago "Play some Eminem!" These chants are slowly becoming the mantra of the retarded.

Legend
12-31-2007, 05:32 AM
I have to get this off my chest. Stop playing shitty rap at clubs. Soulja boi is shit. The lyrics don't mean anything. Rap and hip hop no longer have substance. It died with Public Enemy and Eazy E.
I can't tell you how annoying it is to be in a club somewhere and hear some retard shout "Crank That Soulja Boi!" or as was the case a few years ago "Play some Eminem!" These chants are slowly becoming the mantra of the retarded.

Agreed,i don't listen to any of that garbage.Crank that superman and crank that batman are two of the most retarded songs i've ever heard.I like old school hip-hop like run dmc and kustis blow.

loosenoose24
12-31-2007, 05:33 AM

Agreed,i don't listen to any of that garbage.Crank that superman and crank that batman are two of the most retarded songs i've ever heard.I like old school hip-hop like run dmc and kustis blow.
Your profile picture is making me kind of sick.

Legend
12-31-2007, 05:43 AM

Your profile picture is making me kind of sick.

lol sorry dude i lost a bet.

happychris
12-31-2007, 05:45 AM

Your profile picture is making me kind of sick.Get used to it. A lot of the profile pictures are wack. Lots of gambling issues here on HA it seems. LOL

Back on topic, not that I am an expert, but there is some good hip hop/rap out there still. Common is good, and Jurassic Five reminds me a lot of the old-school days.

I think most modern music is shite, no matter what genre.

lupinIII
12-31-2007, 05:53 AM
Dizzee Rascal, The Streets, M.I.A. have had some really fantastic releases of late.

loosenoose24
12-31-2007, 05:59 AM
Dizzee Rascal, The Streets, M.I.A. have had some really fantastic releases of late.
anime sucks way hard man

lupinIII
12-31-2007, 06:02 AM
Very good, what the hell has anime got to do with hip hop?

TomSelis
12-31-2007, 06:11 AM
It's out there, it's just not on the radio anymore.

loosenoose24
12-31-2007, 06:11 AM
Very good, what the hell has anime got to do with hip hop?
I just saw your name

lupinIII
12-31-2007, 06:20 AM
...right, right, good point, forgot about that name.

On topic, I don't think hip hop's dead it's just evolved way too much from its roots with the shit you hear in clubs and radio being the most crass and lowest quality of the spectrum, British hip-hop is extremely good, extremely diverse, with some awesome acts representing it like the 3 I mentioned above.

Aussie hip-hop has some really good things happening too, in particular The Herd, and their side projects like Urthboy, Astronomy Class. Macromantics has quite an interesting and unique sound happening too, quite earthy and gritty vocals and very staccato erratic style of delivery.

echimandu
12-31-2007, 07:33 AM
I can't tell you how annoying it is to be in a club somewhere and hear some retard shout "Crank That Soulja Boi!" or as was the case a few years ago "Play some Eminem!" These chants are slowly becoming the mantra of the retarded.Shoot it already. Put it out of its misery.

a994
12-31-2007, 10:41 PM
Once upon a time rap/hip-hop was the most exciting musical genre going. Back from the late 1980s through about the early '90s you had a whole slew of artists who were telling it like it is and raising the socio-political consciousness of a generation. From Public Enemy and KRS-One to even the early gangsta rappers like NWA and Ice-T, this music was unrepentedly about education as well as it was about entertainment. Then there were also more countercultural rappers and groups like De La Soul, P.M. Dawn, and surrealists such as Divine Styler.

All of that seemed to change after the L.A. (and other major cities all over the world) riots of 1992. Why? Who knows? Maybe the more creative and visionary rappers burned out, maybe their material was deliberately phased out by the record corporations in favor of quicker-selling (and more socially nihilistic at best, socially corrosive at worst) gangsta rap and misogynistic rap around this time. Maybe some people in the government had something to do with that (remember the goverment and media furor when Ice-T's rap-metal side project Body Count released the song "Cop Killa" in 1992, while L.A.'s inner cities were still smoldering--after only a few days, that song was quickly pulled from Body Count's upcoming album). Or maybe the times were just too dark.

Anyway, suddenly all you could hear were the Death Row artists like Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, and 2-Pac, along with their legion of imitators. Crime may not pay, but it sure sold--hugely. Anyone who wanted music with more positive, intellectual, trippy or fanciful messages had to look elsewhere to other musical forms.

To me, the death-blow for hip-hop was struck in 1996-97 when first 2-Pac, and then Notorious B.I.G., were both murdered under still-murky circumstances. After that, all that was left was the wantonly materialistic and opulent image that Puff Daddy/Bad Boy Records put across. And hip-hop as a whole crawled underneath that umbrella once the gangsta image, whether actually truthful or not for the rappers who used it to make millions, took on an all-too-real life of its own for those enclosed in the entertainment world (never mind it had already been that way for millions of Americans in not-so-privileged socio-economic circumstances) and showed us all once again that in America, nothing sells like death, but who really wants to live that?

Anyway, when hip-hop became solely about expensive cars, yachts, jewelry, bottles of Krystall, and expanding harems of golddiggers, I lost what little interest I had left, except in some of the underground rappers like The Roots, Global Flotations, Haiku-De'Tat, and even Black Star. Yes, I don't have interest in overproduced $1000 shoe commercials, pimp philosophies, and Gordon Gekko homilies bumpin' from the hottest clubs and Slammin' Hip-Hop & Rn'B stations you'll find in every metropolis, all of which are exactly the same station playing the same twenty songs over and over again.

In short, the only thing hip-hop has done during the last decade is prove that there is no cave to go and isolate onself from the world in quite like King Solomon's Mines. And MTV and BET will both beg to shoot the video and the subsequent reality series.

a994
12-31-2007, 10:42 PM
Oops, the Dreaded Double Post.

ARMANIXXX
12-31-2007, 10:54 PM
Its not like it was......but it ain't dead yet.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DtftuSHnWVY

Anubis1079
12-31-2007, 11:04 PM
I can't stand Rap these days. It was all I listened to since I was three and stole my brothers Too Short debut tape (1982 I think), up to the mid 90's. Now it sucks. The only ones I still listened to was Outkast. I still have all my old CDs and listen to them, but every new rap song I hear is horrible....Can somebody shoot Lil John? YEAH!

peggygee
01-01-2008, 05:20 AM
Once upon a time rap/hip-hop was the most exciting musical genre going. Back from the late 1980s through about the early '90s you had a whole slew of artists who were telling it like it is and raising the socio-political consciousness of a generation. From Public Enemy and KRS-One to even the early gangsta rappers like NWA and Ice-T, this music was unrepentedly about education as well as it was about entertainment. Then there were also more countercultural rappers and groups like De La Soul, P.M. Dawn, and surrealists such as Divine Styler.

All of that seemed to change after the L.A. (and other major cities all over the world) riots of 1992. Why? Who knows? Maybe the more creative and visionary rappers burned out, maybe their material was deliberately phased out by the record corporations in favor of quicker-selling (and more socially nihilistic at best, socially corrosive at worst) gangsta rap and misogynistic rap around this time. Maybe some people in the government had something to do with that (remember the goverment and media furor when Ice-T's rap-metal side project Body Count released the song "Cop Killa" in 1992, while L.A.'s inner cities were still smoldering--after only a few days, that song was quickly pulled from Body Count's upcoming album). Or maybe the times were just too dark.

Anyway, suddenly all you could hear were the Death Row artists like Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, and 2-Pac, along with their legion of imitators. Crime may not pay, but it sure sold--hugely. Anyone who wanted music with more positive, intellectual, trippy or fanciful messages had to look elsewhere to other musical forms.

To me, the death-blow for hip-hop was struck in 1996-97 when first 2-Pac, and then Notorious B.I.G., were both murdered under still-murky circumstances. After that, all that was left was the wantonly materialistic and opulent image that Puff Daddy/Bad Boy Records put across. And hip-hop as a whole crawled underneath that umbrella once the gangsta image, whether actually truthful or not for the rappers who used it to make millions, took on an all-too-real life of its own for those enclosed in the entertainment world (never mind it had already been that way for millions of Americans in not-so-privileged socio-economic circumstances) and showed us all once again that in America, nothing sells like death, but who really wants to live that?

Anyway, when hip-hop became solely about expensive cars, yachts, jewelry, bottles of Krystall, and expanding harems of golddiggers, I lost what little interest I had left, except in some of the underground rappers like The Roots, Global Flotations, Haiku-De'Tat, and even Black Star. Yes, I don't have interest in overproduced $1000 shoe commercials, pimp philosophies, and Gordon Gekko homilies bumpin' from the hottest clubs and Slammin' Hip-Hop & Rn'B stations you'll find in every metropolis, all of which are exactly the same station playing the same twenty songs over and over again.

In short, the only thing hip-hop has done during the last decade is prove that there is no cave to go and isolate onself from the world in quite like King Solomon's Mines. And MTV and BET will both beg to shoot the video and the subsequent reality series.

Great post.

8)

62des
01-01-2008, 06:04 AM

I was with you until you mentioned the club. Songs like that were made for the club, but not the radio. Why would you play good lyrical content songs in the club? Women won't listen to the shit we like. That's what soulja boi and the dance songs are for. How can you get play on the dance floor when the rapper is talkin bout killin and shit slicin dudes up? You can't. As for the radio, soulja boi should kill his fuckin self off of it. I do think hip hop is dead though with the exception of a few rappers that's still holdin it down. Lil Wayne got a very unique style and flow and its hot. I'm startin to get kinda impressed with him the more songs that I hear with all the new metaphors, wordplay, and punchlines he's been using. Most shit have been said numerous times but he makes up some new shit that hasn't been said yet. Another thing. Notice that all the rappers that only rap about meaningful things are still struggling with money problems and the rappers that are gangbangin and talkin bout sex has money on top of money. I quote T.I. on this "the industry is like a mirror staring back at america". In other words, since killing and sex sells the most, guess what, you're out numbered. When 50 cent started rapping straight from the streets, nobody never heard of his ass and he caught on to it. Once he started making club-bangas and hood shit, he blew up real quick. So before you start judging the rap game, just look at the stuff that's selling the most. Also notice how most of the meaningful rappers went underground, because not enough people like what they are doing enough to buy it. Not to mention all the lyrical beast rappers that are underground, not because they ain't good, but because they just aren't selling. A smart rapper would make club songs also just to get bigger in the game and get showered with money. In other words, they're giving america what they want, sex, drugs, and violence. That's my 2 cent.

62des
01-01-2008, 06:22 AM
Off the subject a little bit, women in the videos being portrayed as sex objects, nobody's forcing them to do it. They know what's going on and they made the choice. I quote little wayn's lyrics "shut up bitch swallow, and if you can't swallow, shut up bitch gargle". Yea some women might debate those lyrics are good, but ironically enough, I've heard plenty of girls repeating this line over and over again! In other words most of the time most of the women that debate this stuff supports it. When songs come on in the club that's so called "degrating", those same women are shakin their asses to it.

odelay24
01-01-2008, 07:07 AM
I can understand your problems with Soulja Boy, def.

But Eminem is an extremely talented guy. He certainly has some novelty songs, I won't deny that, but he really has some things to say; and does it quite potently.

I don't think all hip hop needs to be about the message though. Jigga is an amazing MC, great skills, but not so much about the message.

Dizee Rascal is great too, but he isn't getting the recognition in America.

Then there's also all that indie hip hop like Buck 65 which is top.

62des
01-01-2008, 06:43 PM
Exactly. People of age seem to think that all hip hop HAS to have a positive message behind it or something. Stop dissin the gangsta rappers out there. Some of those dudes REALLY DO live the life that they speak of in their rhymes and that's all that they know, or knew if they moved out of the hood. That's just like neglecting the horrible life that they were forced to live for whatever reason. If they rapped about war in iraq, that wouldn't be true to them because they don't know shit about it. All they know is the war that they are fightin in their neighborhoods. If they want to rap about jewelry leave them the fuck alone. Its their lifestyle for god sakes stop hatin because you don't have it! Why would they rap about politics when they don't know shit about it? Besides if it sells, why would you change it? Besides it ain't dead its just taking new form. Back then, violence wasn't near the rate it is now, so wouldn't it be logical that violent rappers come out? Back then it was more about politics because that's what was going on in the world at the time and now its sex, drugs, and money because that's what's happenin. Listening to rappers' music is like listening to the news of the ghetto that's not makin it on tv. Maybe some of you people should get off of their "high horses" and listen every once in a while, because more than 50% of murders, stabbings and everything else that happens there never makes channel 5.

macfan
01-01-2008, 07:36 PM
Exactly. People of age seem to think that all hip hop HAS to have a positive message behind it or something. Stop dissin the gangsta rappers out there. Some of those dudes REALLY DO live the life that they speak of in their rhymes and that's all that they know, or knew if they moved out of the hood. That's just like neglecting the horrible life that they were forced to live for whatever reason. If they rapped about war in iraq, that wouldn't be true to them because they don't know shit about it. All they know is the war that they are fightin in their neighborhoods. If they want to rap about jewelry leave them the fuck alone. Its their lifestyle for god sakes stop hatin because you don't have it! Why would they rap about politics when they don't know shit about it? Besides if it sells, why would you change it? Besides it ain't dead its just taking new form. Back then, violence wasn't near the rate it is now, so wouldn't it be logical that violent rappers come out? Back then it was more about politics because that's what was going on in the world at the time and now its sex, drugs, and money because that's what's happenin. Listening to rappers' music is like listening to the news of the ghetto that's not makin it on tv. Maybe some of you people should get off of their "high horses" and listen every once in a while, because more than 50% of murders, stabbings and everything else that happens there never makes channel 5.

I'm black and have to call you out on this nonsense that you are saying about live and let live when it comes to Gangsta Rap. The problem is there are idiots out there that use this shit as their bible in everyday life. You and I probably know a few. You talk about how its the news of the ghetto. What constructive is coming out of that supposed news when 17, 18 year old young black males slinging rock on the corners of the poor parts of the inner cities across this nation are shot up by one another for turf or for their gangs.

Do some research look up the ages of those who die from gang violence in the inner cities and then you may wise up and not think its just news, its deadly reality. Its cool I guess if you want to overlook all those dead young black males or blame society for their social conditions that lead them to that point, but glorifying that senseless B.S. is not cool in my book. I'm not attacking you just saying there is way too much blood being shed.

I watched the program First 48 on A&E and the level of senseless violence of young blacks killing each other in Memphis, Kanas City, the Pork and Beans projects, Little Haiti, Overtown in Miami, Detroit, is crazy. A lot of that nonsense is glorified in Gangsta rap but when you see the emotions of the families faces and the communities and how dreadful it is then you see there is nothing positive and that's my point. Just had to call you out on that man, oh and did I mention the drugs in the communities that are being sold. along with the B.S. that everyone saw what happen when some young man is gunned down, but don't snitch or you're next. :)

peggygee
01-01-2008, 07:54 PM
No, all hip hop doesn't have to have a political message ala Public Enemy.

But it damned sure doesn't have to glorify the values of violence, drug
sales and use, denigration of women, and sexual minorities.

The young people of today are taking the messages that they hear in
some rap and the media, and internalizing them, with dire and negative
consequences, for the present, and the future.

peggygee
01-01-2008, 08:01 PM
By the by, for those that are interested on this topic, watch
Hip Hop versus America http://www.bet.com/OnTV/hhva.htm
where this subject is discussed.

It's a show you don't want to miss.

Fox
01-01-2008, 10:01 PM
Dead? Lupe Fiasco, Common, Talib Kweli and Mos Def would like to have a word with you. It's not, but certainly not thriving on an artistic, social, political and introspective level as before. I hate when people say they've completely given up on new stuff. If you love rap, take a few and find what's worth listening to.

I agree with 62des about Soulja Boy's song. That, "It's Going Down" by Yung Joc (sp?), etc. are made for the clubs and house parties.

My only problem is when people elevate the club over the substance. Perfect example, my folks and I took a road trip to Oklahoma in late December to watch my little brother graduate from army bootcamp at Fort Sill (boring place). On the way there we listening to a lot of different rappers, but my sisters (24, 17, 16, & 12) preferred only the rap with with lots of cussing, sexual eplicitness, and general self-boasting. I tried to enlighten them to something with an actual message, so I passed up my Black Star cd. They slept on it. My dad, whose not a fan of rap, I especially wanted to hear it so he could know not to trust the radio and music videos to represent what hip-hop is. Even the 24 year old slept on it. I'm 23 myself, I remember older rap music of the early 90s (A Tribe Called Quest, Common, De La Soul, etc.) so I thought if anyone could appreciate it, it could be her. Hell, there's a track called "Brown Skin Lady" where Mos and Talib are showing love to that brown skin lady of their interest. She preferred the music that disrespects her, because it has a better club beat and easier to dance to. Younger sisters? Same way.

Oh well. Club music is ok in moderation, but I guess songs with substance needs better beats? :shrug

P.S. Check out Lupe Fiasco's Food & Liquor and The Cool. You won't regret it.

Rod la Rod
01-01-2008, 10:51 PM
I don't care if it's considered "gangsta" or negative it is real. A reflection of the reality of the out of control LAPD, pre- Rodney King and the riots. IMO this is the best rap/hip hop album of all time. I am old enough to have bought it when it came out on vinyl.

62des
01-02-2008, 02:17 AM

I'm black and have to call you out on this nonsense that you are saying about live and let live when it comes to Gangsta Rap. The problem is there are idiots out there that use this shit as their bible in everyday life. You and I probably know a few. You talk about how its the news of the ghetto. What constructive is coming out of that supposed news when 17, 18 year old young black males slinging rock on the corners of the poor parts of the inner cities across this nation are shot up by one another for turf or for their gangs.

Do some research look up the ages of those who die from gang violence in the inner cities and then you may wise up and not think its just news, its deadly reality. Its cool I guess if you want to overlook all those dead young black males or blame society for their social conditions that lead them to that point, but glorifying that senseless B.S. is not cool in my book. I'm not attacking you just saying there is way too much blood being shed.

I watched the program First 48 on A&E and the level of senseless violence of young blacks killing each other in Memphis, Kanas City, the Pork and Beans projects, Little Haiti, Overtown in Miami, Detroit, is crazy. A lot of that nonsense is glorified in Gangsta rap but when you see the emotions of the families faces and the communities and how dreadful it is then you see there is nothing positive and that's my point. Just had to call you out on that man, oh and did I mention the drugs in the communities that are being sold. along with the B.S. that everyone saw what happen when some young man is gunned down, but don't snitch or you're next. :)

When did I glorify this shit? For whatever reasons, how about you move to a place like that while in school gettin good grades gettin your ass beat everyday and maybe you'd change to survive too. Goin home with no money so you slang drugs to eat. That's not glorifying anything that's just their way of survival, and it just so happens that people get killed along the way. Some do it for fun and for other reasons. How many gang member kids do you know with both parents still married and happy? None. If some people were in different situations then they'd get a different outcome in their life. Killin and shit isn't learned from watchin tv its learned in life but can be seen on tv.

dafame
01-02-2008, 07:50 AM
The last great era was the one that the Wu came out of. After that it was over. It's far too commercialized now and it will only get worse. I haven't listened to hip hop in years now and was an avid fan. Oh how I miss the good old days.

longhorn
01-02-2008, 10:07 AM
no hip hop's not dead it's just slowly getting smothered under the pillows by mainstream bastards who just want to make money by putting bullshit songs on the radio and tv, but there is alot of hip hop out there with substance on it just so hard to find these days but if you get away from all the mainstream stuff you can find some really great artist who are talking about more than crank that whatever and how much money they got

ohioboy
01-02-2008, 10:14 AM
There are alot of good rappers out there, you just have to look...but not even that hard. The radio and MTV is the last place. Even BET fell waaay off...

WuTang just released a new album, GHostface Killah and Masta killa have been releasing new albums. Raekwons Vatican Mixtape trilogy has been great. Cuban Linx 2 is due out soon..
And that is just Wu Tang Projects.
Killah Priest is another MC that is slept on a ton.
I bet there are alot of albums you haven't even heard that would be new to you.....so go searching.

lupinIII
01-02-2008, 11:35 AM
Dead? Lupe Fiasco, Common, Talib Kweli and Mos Def would like to have a word with you.

Damn right dude. Food & Liquor was one of the best records of 2006, or 2005, whenever it came out, I can't remember.

Here's some choice stuff from Australia.

The Herd:
77%
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4u8awXZKmI
We Can't Hear You
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucXONCfbC-w&feature=related
I Was Only 19
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns82tHhJOr0&feature=related

Urthboy, side project of The Herd MC:
We Get Around
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqKDFHAyIMU

Macromantics:
Apple Crumble
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zQcN1VpXp8

I'm not a big fan of this band (actually I loathe them) but they were huge for a while
Hilltop Hoods:
Recapturing the Vibe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s7ywGSm6B4
The Nosebleed Section
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqCyTM1bF6Q
The Hard Road
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFCWHshsw_M

Bliss n Eso:
Then Till Now
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnzrCp17a9k

There's also guys like
Resin Dogs: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=resin+dogs&search=Search

Koolism: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-Ui11s4KtM

and 1200 Techniques: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=1200+techniques&search=Search

Bandyspring
01-02-2008, 12:01 PM
Yes, the Golden Age of Rap and Hip Hop is gone, but that doesn't mean that the art form is dead. I fondly remember the days of Tribe, De La, The Roots, and others, but that doesn't mean I don't also appreciate some of the new stuff coming out. I'm a big fan of the new Aesop Rock disc, None Shall Pass. The new Common, Mos Def, and Talib Kweli discs are pretty impressive. My all-time favorite (A Book of Human Language) album's creator Aceyalone just released a new disc. Sadly, Jurassic 5 seems to be broken up for the forseeable future, with no apparent reunion in sight. The members though are releasing some solo works.

In short, good stuff is still definately out there, it just isn't what gets the airplay on MTV and BET anymore because the teens and early 20's market are more interested in the dance based, amped style than the lyrical style we all knew and grew on. Don't give up hope for the style, and don't out of hand dismiss all of the popular stuff, as there are a few diamonds in the rough mass of stuff released. I'm sure at some point popular stylings will swing back to the message/lyric/musical based stylings of old, it's all a matter of trends and time.

MonsieurValentine
01-03-2008, 07:18 PM

How old are you? 12?

werwt22
01-03-2008, 07:29 PM
It isnt dead. There's just too many garbage dudes making it now. And as far as Soulja Boy goes Wyclef just had an interview about that. He said older heads look @ Soulja Boy as what the fuck is this shit (in so many words), but when you date back to when we were younger look at us doing the Humpty Dance and what those older guys then where saying. He said you just got it look at it as man I'm gettin old now.

Irisheyes
01-03-2008, 07:32 PM
anyone who says 'hiphop is dead' hasnt a fucking clue about hi[hop..... take 2007, we had the amazing 'il sleep when ur dead' from El-P , the already mentioned Aesop Rock album aswell as a Roots album and Fishscale by GF Killah.... UK rap is still fresh and new also..... its out there for those who wanna find it.....

a994
01-03-2008, 08:17 PM

Great post.

8)

Thank you peggygee. That means a lot coming from you.

a994
01-03-2008, 08:23 PM
In other words, they're giving america what they want, sex, drugs, and violence. That's my 2 cent.

And to me, that says it all about America.

chefmike
01-03-2008, 09:20 PM
When 50 cent started rapping straight from the streets, nobody never heard of his ass and he caught on to it.

50-cent is a no talent punk and most likely a snitch. What a surprise...

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/1110051fitty1.html

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0906051murder1.html

dasani75
01-03-2008, 09:20 PM
I also actually like the classic hip hop/rap that's "pleasant-to-the-ears" and smar such as Talib Kwali, Common, Tribe, Blackstar, etc. but I really despise the ghetto shit that's out now.

However, in my opinion, absolutely NO rap should be played in clubs. The prloblem you get when you play that ghetto as rap at clubs is that you get losers who think they're pimps with lots of attitude, throwing their money around, smoking cigars, passin around bottles of Cristal with lots of attitude and trying to get all the slutty bitches that value that kind of shit at their tables. Weak fuckin scene. Plus, you can't even dance to that shit. It's just not dance music.

I only frequent clubs that play house music - real dance music. Pleasant, funky, soulful, bumpin house beats that put smiles on everyone's faces where no one is there to dis anyone else and everyone's there only to have a good time.

dasani75
01-03-2008, 09:21 PM
I also actually like the classic hip hop/rap that's "pleasant-to-the-ears" and smar such as Talib Kwali, Common, Tribe, Blackstar, etc. but I really despise the ghetto shit that's out now.

However, in my opinion, absolutely NO rap should be played in clubs. The prloblem you get when you play that ghetto as rap at clubs is that you get losers who think they're pimps with lots of attitude, throwing their money around, smoking cigars, passin around bottles of Cristal with lots of attitude and trying to get all the slutty bitches that value that kind of shit at their tables. Weak fuckin scene. Plus, you can't even dance to that shit. It's just not dance music.

I only frequent clubs that play house music - real dance music. Pleasant, funky, soulful, bumpin house beats that put smiles on everyone's faces where no one is there to dis anyone else and everyone's there only to have a good time.

LarryFromNYC
01-03-2008, 10:02 PM
I personally prefer old school hip hop and consider most of the music created today in all genres lacking substance and originality. I would not say Hip Hop is dead, there is just an oversaturation of Hip Hop that deals with bling bling and gangsterism. I get a sense that the general public has had enough of this and wants something new. The saviors of Hip Hop are groups like Outkast, The Roots, Mos Def, Jurrasic 5, Talib Kweli and a few others that I can't think of right now. I'm really impressed with groups like Outkast and The Roots and always look forward to their new albums to see what direction they are heading in.

CORVETTEDUDE
01-03-2008, 10:44 PM
Sorry, to anyone this may offend. I, however, do not, nor ever have appreciated either Rap or Hip-Hop, as music or art, in any way, shape or form. Should either or both disappear, they will not be missed by me.

Bandyspring
01-03-2008, 10:59 PM
You've never appreciated any type of art or music in your life? I'm not offended, I just feel sorry for you.

werwt22
01-03-2008, 11:16 PM

DJ's dont play dance songs all of the time. They Usually have sessions where they slow it down so u can go get a drink or relax. And every genre of music has a not so glamorous side, but people buy the shit cuz they wanna hear it. Yeah some of it is ignorant but it's different strokes for different folks. I damn sure dont want anyone telling me what I should listen to and what I shouldnt.

Fox
01-03-2008, 11:22 PM
Sorry, to anyone this may offend. I, however, do not, nor ever have appreciated eithe a music or art, in any way, shape or form. Should either or both disappear, they will not be missed by me.

Wow. In any way? I'd have lost my marbles a long time ago if it weren't for music.

Irisheyes
01-03-2008, 11:42 PM
CORVETTEDUDE wrote:
Sorry, to anyone this may offend. I, however, do not, nor ever have appreciated eithe a music or art, in any way, shape or form. Should either or both disappear, they will not be missed by me.

man, i dont know what to say, but i think thats the saddest thng iv ever heard.

MonsieurValentine
01-03-2008, 11:55 PM
When 50 cent started rapping straight from the streets, nobody never heard of his ass and he caught on to it.

A "no talent punk"? For no talents, he sure is doing well for himself. Whether you like him or not. What ws it... $400 million from the Vitamin Water purchase?

CORVETTEDUDE
01-03-2008, 11:57 PM
Sorry, to anyone this may offend. I, however, do not, nor ever have appreciated either Rap or Hip-Hop, as music or art, in any way, shape or form. Should either or both disappear, they will not be missed by me.

I re-read my post and saw that it needed an edit for clarification. hope this clears up thing gist of my comment.

Irisheyes
01-03-2008, 11:58 PM
yea its still really sad..... :(

CORVETTEDUDE
01-04-2008, 12:07 AM
yea its still really sad..... :(

Didn't expect everyone to agree with me...You've got your opinion, I've got mine.

chefmike
01-04-2008, 12:11 AM

A "no talent punk"? For no talents, he sure is doing well for himself. Whether you like him or not. What ws it... $400 million from the Vitamin Water purchase?

Who gives a shit how much money he has, slick? Is that how you measure a person's worth?...how very enlightened of you...the bottom line is that he's a no talent crackhead lowlife...end of story...

gimmeurblood
01-04-2008, 12:37 AM
the decline of hip hop in the United States can be directly attributed to the rise of Sean "Puff Daddy" Combs career as a rapper. blame him. wheres KRS-One when we need him

hwbs
01-04-2008, 12:43 AM
i know i blame puffy , lmfao....

Legend
01-04-2008, 12:57 AM
Puffy has a notebook comprised of hit songs from the 80's and uses the eeny, meany, miny, moo method to see which he one he is going to turn into a botched a rap song.

Fox
01-06-2008, 12:06 AM
I thought I'd bump this to peep you all to Wax and Herbal T, two white boys who are killin' it on YouTube. I haven't heard their CD, but if it's anything like the videos, then it's hot. I'm gonna snatch that when I get a chance. Check out their other videos on the side bar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IBooA5ijj4

Wax and Herbal T's Grizzly Season:
http://cdbaby.com/cd/waxherbalt

djef75
01-06-2008, 03:55 AM
this guy (immortal technique) is definitely maintain the rap alive

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=ntQfkc7DRsY

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=eMR0dgz78zE

djef75
01-06-2008, 04:07 AM
point of no return:
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=Igt-jW4e8ts

land of the gun:
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=u4HEHW5fE-o

Fox
01-06-2008, 04:27 AM
That was good. I had heard of Immortal Technique, but never heard any of his material. I think I'll look for some his stuff, thanks for that.

BADAZZBODY
01-06-2008, 04:33 AM
i like alot of rap and some i dont basically just like people the listen to rock some songs u dont like but not all rap /hip hop is bad

but the soldier boy song is the worst..my friends actually liike the song..im like with the fuk his county azz saying he sound illiterate..its alot of good rap out here ..

djef75
01-06-2008, 04:39 AM
That was good. I had heard of Immortal Technique, but never heard any of his material. I think I'll look for some his stuff, thanks for that.

you'r welcome fox if you want more there is both albums (revolutionary I and revolutinary II)

below some goods of him (even if for me all are good)

Immortal Technique - No Mercy
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=lJxpjfrolNg

Immortal Technique - Caught in a Hustle
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=pXtQE-MhY5k

immortal technique - homeland and hiphop
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf2dtqsfxi8

Immortal Technique - Peruvian Cocaine
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=zrBRJVGLRPo

Immortal Technique - Obnoxious
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=_LUkErRmHTc

Immortal Technique - Bin Laden
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=WA_xXWSXyFI

immortal technique - No Me Importa
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=7dtrXm9QdZ4

immortal technique - crossing the boundary
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=9QTR1-IhVJE

madmans
01-06-2008, 05:46 AM
rap is not dead merely zobified. it's a shell of its former self

nsyto
01-06-2008, 06:00 AM
forget rap bein alive or dead that souljah boy shit gives my subs a serious workout
oh an whos the man was on hbo the other day, thats a fukin classic

ohioboy
01-06-2008, 09:04 AM
Rap is going thru what every genre of music goes through. The record execs figured out they could make alot of money off of it, the demand was high, and soon the industry got watered down and saturated with commerical money making rap...so those are the ones inthe public eye making all the money....

BUT, the great artists are still around. They just arent going to be put on TV and radio, cuz that shit just doesnt sell. SOme artists choose to sell out, other dont.

Just like everyones been sayin tho...Talib Kweli, Common, Lupe, Mos Def, Wu Tang, and countless other underground rappers you aint heard of are out there putting out good stuff.

eded
06-13-2015, 06:22 AM
These chants are slowly becoming the mantra of the retarded.
True

SanDiegoPervySage
06-13-2015, 06:58 AM
Hip-hop never died. You just have to dig for it a bit. The culture is very much still alive. Ice Cube said in 1990, "turn off the radio". This applies even more 25 years later.

natina
06-13-2015, 07:49 AM
You guys are just OLD that's all.
Old as Kentucky fried chicken.old as a stage coach. Old as an eight track tape.old as a VCR.

Your just old and lame.

Ben in LA
06-13-2015, 08:02 AM
Lots of good rap/hip-hop out there. Just gotta know where to look.

Also, unlike most folks, I LIKE trap music. Turn on the Migos!

SanDiegoPervySage
06-14-2015, 12:29 AM
Lots of good rap/hip-hop out there. Just gotta know where to look.

Also, unlike most folks, I LIKE trap music. Turn on the Migos!
Most people seem to like trap music. That's what's selling and getting played the most.