PDA

View Full Version : A forum for flame-wars?

Rogers
12-29-2007, 07:44 PM
Any thread that devolves into a flame-war gets binned there... it would be just like what the Politics and Religion forum used to be like but without any politics and religion. :lol:

Monty Python Argument Sketch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3HaRFBSq9k

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
12-29-2007, 07:47 PM
it's cute that you made a poll up for this, but I've presented this concept in the past, guess what: not gonna happen.

Your best bet is the fight club chat rooms

anything goes in chat

TJT
12-31-2007, 03:18 PM
I used to moderate a hobby BB that was similar in size to this one. We created an uncensored forum so people could flame and fight w/ each other to their hearts content.

It was the best thing we ever did. When it was created it got the fight threads off the main pages. Members were warned in advance that starting crap on the main boards would get you banned from then on.

Their was a minimum requirement of 100 posts before a member could request admittance to it or even read it. As far as I know it,the UBB still works well for them.

I think all boards w/ more than a thousand members should have one. It's too hard for a handful of mods and admin to patrol an active board 24/7.

NYCe
12-31-2007, 03:37 PM
Or we could just ban the flamers. Honestly nothing works better than a mass banning on New Years Day. Some innocents may get caught in the net but hey, same thing happens with with dolphins and tuna.

trish
12-31-2007, 05:57 PM
some constructive arguments can get as heated as a flame thread, and will include some stinging jabs. so one has to be careful not to throw everything in the bad boy bin. but a real argument isn't just a barrage of continuous insults. so it shouldn't be too hard to distinguish one from the other.

another issue is some threads start off with interesting commentaries and are hijacked. if the whole thread gets thrown into the bad boy bin, the good is lost with the bad...or at least one has to go searching in the flame bin for it.

finally, it's a LOT of work for the mods who are already overloaded.

so i voted yes on your poll rogers, but with these reservations.

scroller
12-31-2007, 06:25 PM
Or we could just ban the flamers. Honestly nothing works better than a mass banning on New Years Day. Some innocents may get caught in the net but hey, same thing happens with with dolphins and tuna.

If so, that'll be great. Frankly, it doesn't need to be a "mass" banning, just 2 or 3 people who have completely taken over the forums since late October (when logins became required). It can be a surgical strike and the quality would be massively improved.

Also, I wish there was an option to ban people with purely gross-out avatars on their posts.

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
12-31-2007, 08:56 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again
http://adblockplus.org/images/75.png

if you're using firefox this shit is so simple to use

right click on the image, go to adblock image

voila

scroller
12-31-2007, 09:10 PM
Blocking specific images is addressing only a small symptom. It doesn't help (a) the 95% or so of viewers with IE, (b) people with Firefox who don't know how to use Adblock, (c) the fact that the same people are also flaming & taking over the boards in other ways, (d) the fact that they can just rotate gross-out pics every day or so to get around that block.

As probably anyone running a their own business can attest, there's a small number of clients who are massive pain/troublemakers who drain your time and energy. The only response is to identify those people and just ditch them. Making up little symptomatic rule changes won't address the problem, because those personalities will always game the rules to make even more trouble.

That's IMO, but everyone I speak to running a business agrees with that when I bring it up.

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
12-31-2007, 09:18 PM
I'm discussing images, I'm not going into people flaming or taking over the boards because that concept is ridiculous. The flaming you speak of mainly resides in the General Discussion forum, that's not flaming IMO that's individuals staying seated in one section and releasing whatever sexual frustration they can come up with from previous bad dates or failed relationships. (hehe)

Seriously

I was discussing the images and a means to block particular ones with a simple solution. As far as using internet explorer? I think it's foolish not to have more than that one browser on a machine and personally I believe anyone relying on just one browser on their machine to get the job done is kidding themselves. If I was a newbie and read this for the 1st time and google'd firefox I'd download it, install it, and then add on ad block plus. I'd also like to think that the majority of our users have a level of intelligence large enough to make that concept happen.

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
12-31-2007, 09:32 PM
fuck you bitch

we're in chat

TJT
01-01-2008, 11:41 AM
For example, why should a member who's not only confrontational, but also thinks pre-ops and the guys who love them are "gay men", be on forum called Hung Angels in the first place?

I agree with you on that one Nicole.

However if you've got more than two people interacting on any type of forum you're going to get disagreements and personality clashes.

When the board reaches a certain size a handful of mods can't check every thread to see who's being a dick,or who started what. It's impossible.

For the regulars that are good members in every other sense of the word,but can't keep from going at each other occasionally,a board for them to duke it out saves a lot of trouble and and bandwidth on the main boards. It keeps the place as a whole from being seen as "overmoderated" which can drive potential members off.

That's my two cents.