PDA

View Full Version : How many of you shop @ Walmart?!?

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
12-14-2007, 04:01 AM
just curious, I dont even know where one is locally, I have no interest in ever shopping at one but I've grown to understand some folks don't have any choice, in some places it's the only store

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
12-14-2007, 04:12 AM
well I haven't been in a Walmart, I thought it was more than just a grocery store

hwbs
12-14-2007, 04:16 AM
4 that kind of shopping i goto target...all u have to see how insane the store and parking lots are...i avoid at all costs..i have a friend who is a mgr there ..i go there if i need a discount on electronics.

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
12-14-2007, 04:27 AM
see I have a target 20 mins from me, so I can relate, and IMO Target is the same thing, just with better products from what I've listened to on other forums

elo
12-14-2007, 04:29 AM
Walmart used to be on the german market but they had no success on it.So they gave it up about a year ago to make it on the german market.I´ve been in one of the markets maybe two or three times.Nothing special.Now they wanna try it in Poland.

IWantATgirl
12-14-2007, 05:10 AM
Hehehe, Everyone in Western PA shops at Wal-Mart. Its full of white trash people in camo and nascar shirts. In all honesty, where I am from the mall is beat, economy is shot, to goto any other decent malls is a drive. Therefore everyone goes there. It is busy 24/7. You can get your hair did, tires changed, grocerys, glasses, drugs, clothes and electronics.

Fox
12-14-2007, 05:14 AM
I've only gone to Wal-Mart a few times and that was only for after Thanksgiving/Christmas sales.

hondarobot
12-14-2007, 05:34 AM
I think I got a bag of those green plastic army men at a WalMart when I was a kid during a family vacation. I wouldn't buy anything at one now.

They are the U.S. equivalent of a sweat shop, only retail as opposed to manufacturing. They do apparently have a plan to cover the roofs of their massive super stores with solar panels, and then sell the excess energy to local communities. That seems somewhat less evil, but they still pretty much suck.

I do buy stuff at Target all the time. I walk through the Target world headquarters nearly everyday. It's like six blocks from my apartment via the skyways. They could be evil as well, but convenient, and locally owned.

dc_guy_75
12-14-2007, 05:47 AM
Walmarts are rare in the Northeast.

Ample parking and places where "space" costs less are places allows them to make more money.

Walmart = cheap land near population density

is to

Cockbandit = big cock.

Ecstatic
12-14-2007, 06:36 AM
I avoid Wal*Mart; I think I've shopped in one twice in my life. Target is marginally better. But I do most of my shopping online.

PatrickFromNYC
12-14-2007, 06:55 AM
Never been in a Walmart....I don't think there are any in Manhattan??

Hara_Juku Tgirl
12-14-2007, 07:08 AM
Personally, I don't see anything wrong shopping at Walmart. Ive gotten a few items on there like soda's, cd-r, dvd-r, light bulbs, detergent, air freshener's, paper plates etc. on there. Just never clothes or anything tho. LOL ;)

~Kisses.

HTG

tsntx
12-14-2007, 07:57 AM
i just got back... spent about $100 :(

OEMEnemyNum1
12-14-2007, 08:05 AM
I choose not to shop at Walmart because people get stupid in there. Fucking traffic and carts.

bezane
12-14-2007, 08:13 AM
Walmart is staunchly anti-union. They have also grown their business exponentially several years back on a "Buy American campaign" and since it has hardly any merchandise made in America at all.

In their earlier years they focussed on areas of small towns with central populations of 50K and subsequently would put every small business in the area out of business.

I'm a hardcore free market economist but I just have been no fan of them.

Plus the merchandise lacks style. Shop Target.

nobody
12-14-2007, 09:26 AM
I go there when I have too. I'm broke and they have cheap crap as soon as I'm done with school I plan on never going back though.

Hara_Juku Tgirl
12-14-2007, 12:05 PM
Well that's kind of an elitist attitude. not everyone makes a six-figure income and can afford to shop at Bloomingdale's.

As far as Wal-Mart, sure I'd shop there for some household items. No big deal.

I *think* that's really what it is braveman..It's just a "Bourgeoisie" type of attitude for the most part. ;)

Though in REALITY..most people DO shop wisely these days but won't even admit they went to such a store to buy their detergent and whatnot. LOL :lol:

;)

~Kisses.

HTG

PghTGrlLvr
12-14-2007, 06:22 PM
Here in W PA, Walmart is everywhere including the "Super" Walmart's that have grocery stores and full auto repair shops.

Prices are better than most stores, though you never want to take your car there to be worked on. They don't exactly hire the most knowledgable types. Those work a garages that pay a whole lot better. Walmart has the Tech school grads.

Funny thing about the Walmarts around here is that they scare me. I mean, it seems all the imbreds and half-wits go there. Guess that's why they have a ton of motorized carts when you walk in the front door.
The malls on the other hand are like a whole other world, it's like aaaahhhhh normal people who walk and talk and don't look like they just stepped out of West Virginia. It is amazing considering they're reasonably close prociemity(sp).

TsJennifer
12-14-2007, 06:40 PM
I love shopping at walmart. They have everything!!!

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
12-14-2007, 06:44 PM
I love shopping at walmart. They have everything!!!

uh huh

Ecstatic
12-14-2007, 06:51 PM
Sam Walton is a true American rags-to-riches story, going from $75/month before WWII to a $20,000 loan from his father-in-law (along with five grand he had saved) to purchase his first five-and-dime store to the largest retail marketing venture in the world and, for many years running, status as the wealthiest man in the world (adjusting for inflation, his riches in the mid-80s approach 100 billion today). After his death in 1992 until 2005, his five children all held a place among the 10 richest Americans: that's 50% of the richest 10 people in the country.

I respect his ethic for growing his fortune, which undoubtedly involved a tremendous committment and hard work from him, but as pointed out above I likewise have deep ethical problems with Wal*Mart's impact on rural and suburban America, it's lowballing of the economy and heavy importation of goods (after waving the buy American flag so avidly), for sometimes severe environmental impact as well as driving 1000s of mom and pop stores out of business and essentially killing "Main Street USA" in many mid-sized American towns. Yet again, in contrast, they have made many efforts to improve their image and have been involved in many high profile environmental cleanup causes in various locations. So it's really a very interesting mixed bag.

flabbybody
12-14-2007, 07:11 PM
Never been in a Walmart....I don't think there are any in Manhattan??

me neither, although they just opened a Bed, Bath, and Beyond in Tribeca. not sure if that's the same concept.

I went to Costco once in Yonkers. I saw a 50- pack of toilet paper and a thing of Ketchup the size of my shower stall. do people really buy that shit?

sucka4chix
12-14-2007, 07:20 PM
I love Walmart. It's the shit!!!! Since I drive for a living I pretty much judge
a town by how many Walmarts they have. For a trucker it's the bomb. Some have parking for trucks, you can buy everything you need--- from stuff for your vehicle, to clothes you may have forgotten or need because of weather,dvds, tvs, fast food,food to cook (if it's a supercenter--- I loathe towns that don't have supercenters, what's the point!?)
You guys that don't have Walmarts don't know what you're missing. I ALWAYS do grocery shopping there. NO ONE CAN TOUCH THEIR PRICES ON GROCERY ITEMS. For example, I buy alot of Propel h2o. $ 2.97/ 6 pack at Wallyworld, $ 4.00-$5.00 most other places, and that's if you have a special "card". That's an outrageous difference. The business model dictates that somethings are higher at Walmart, I just avoid those items.

Ecstatic
12-14-2007, 07:32 PM
I went to Costco once in Yonkers. I saw a 50- pack of toilet paper and a thing of Ketchup the size of my shower stall. do people really buy that shit?
I'd hate to see the size of the hot dog that goes with that ketchup....

StaggerLee
12-14-2007, 07:58 PM
You will never find me in a Walmart again. Nothing against convenient, bargain-priced shopping-it's the corporation, not the store.
Ecstatic is right, and if you still look at the Forbes list of the wealthiest 100, you will see many Waltons. Good for them.
Bad for their workers. They have some of the absolute worst workers-rights issues in the country.Thier policy to keep people under certain hours-per-week, to avoid having to pay insurance.They once mandated that all cashiers had to take one shift per week, outside bringing in carts-trying to weed out the old and unhealthy, for fear their health care costs would cut down on profits. The list goes on and on-a movie was even made about it.
I'm not against 'big business', just this big business.
And I am not a fan of this kind of language, but FUCK WALMART!
read up on it...cheap prices aren't worth it

trish
12-14-2007, 08:00 PM
walmart genuinely fucked over my town but good. we had a thriving downtown area with small restaurants, bookstores, gift shops, boutiques and other small businesses. walmart came in and sold cheap foreign made goods at prices few could resist. now our downtown is an array of sorry empty store-fronts. thank you walmart. the children and families you exploit to produce your goods thank you, our town thanks you and i thank you, for all that you've done to make life cheap.

Hara_Juku Tgirl
12-14-2007, 08:50 PM
I'd hate to see the size of the hot dog that goes with that ketchup....

Oh but I do! LOL J/k :lol:

;)

~Kisses.

HTG

Trogdor
12-14-2007, 09:02 PM
I don't. I been to one or two, but I don't buy anthing there. The place is like a maze, nothing's made in the US, even the candy's made in China ( Can't wait to hear how much lead and feces they got in them :P ), the people working there look miserable ( low wages and no benefits does that to a person no doubt. ), the clothing selections are hidious, and I get a bad vibe each time I was there. No to mention I see the most hidious looking people shopping there....and rudest. Plus wal-mart destroys smaller mom 'n pop shops by paying very little wages and outsorcing shit. Another reason I hate wal-mart.

My dad bought a deep frier from a wal-mart on 2 different occasions....and both times they broke down after 2 weeks of using it......he took them back and bought a different one from a smaller store, and I think it stills works.

I either go to Target.....got nicer, better looking people both working and shoping there, and better stuff. Plus I actually found American made products there. :P

I also try to go to smaller, mom 'n pop shop kinda places too. I like stores they specialize in just a few things....was not too big on everything stores like wal-mart.

Hara_Juku Tgirl
12-14-2007, 09:06 PM
I love Target Trogdor. I used have their creditcard and get employee discount since I did used to work for their sister co. - Marshal Fields (who also owns Mervin's California btw). Out here in L.A. I always go to a Target Greatland nearby. ;)

~Kisses.

HTG

Trogdor
12-14-2007, 09:25 PM
I love Target Trogdor. I used have their creditcard and get employee discount since I did used to work for their sister co. - Marshal Fields (who also owns Mervin's California btw). Out here in L.A. I always go to a Target Greatland nearby. ;)

~Kisses.

HTG

Better looking girls working at Target's too. Plus you can't beat Choxie brand chocolates! X3 And being the geek I am, I often get my Transformers from there. :mrgreen:

Smeg, I really wanna see L.A. one of these days. :o

GIA LOVES RON
12-14-2007, 10:09 PM
*DELETED*

hwbs
12-15-2007, 02:02 AM
there are fucking 4-5 here in a 10 mile radius

alex_c
12-15-2007, 02:26 AM
I shop, after all i get a 20% discount on everything well almost everything in december, plus its the only place that hires fags, but no harm in that after all no one hardly see's me since i work in pharmaceuticals :lol: