PDA

View Full Version : Amazing surf around the world this week ...

xrey
12-08-2007, 10:24 AM
50' - 80' foot waves off the coast of Spain, Ireland, California, and Hawaii. One surfer killed in 50' surf in Monterrey CA. Tow surfers going wild.

xrey
12-08-2007, 10:30 AM
Check out amazing video of some wild rides ...

www.billabongxxl.com

Nivek
12-08-2007, 01:03 PM
Some of those waves on billabong really make you respect the enormous power of the oceans.

alphanumeric
12-08-2007, 05:09 PM
Well it'd nice to see that global warming makes some people happy! :lol:

Night Rider
12-08-2007, 05:20 PM
The waves in Ireland have been crazy recently. This is a photo taken in Bundoran on the west coast of Ireland.....

TJT
12-08-2007, 10:34 PM
I understand big wave surfing has really taken off in Ireland in the past 5-10 years.

BTW,any knowledge of the surfing in the Azores? They would seem ideally placed for those big swells coming off the south side of the Gulf Stream.

There used to be a site called "menwhosurfmountains" but it was based around the Cortez Bank scene,some other Cali tow-in spots,and Oahu. I don't know if it's still active?

Night Rider
12-08-2007, 10:43 PM
I understand big wave surfing has really taken off in Ireland in the past 5-10 years.

Yeah, it has taken off pretty big in the last few years. I only got into it about 3 years ago, so there's no way I'd even consider dropping into one of those monsters. I've surfed some pretty big waves but if you come off your board in that, you're in trouble. Especially in Bundoran where it's notorious for sharp rocks.

You've probably heard of this site but just incase you haven't it's usually accurate in the surf conditions (at least in Ireland) and there are some good photos.

http://magicseaweed.com/

ps. I assume you were asking xrey about the cali surf, if not, I don't know much about it to be honest.

TJT
12-08-2007, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I'll check it out.

There are ton of live surf cams on line here in the States. Any beach worth the name will have at least one.

Night Rider
12-08-2007, 10:53 PM
No problem. I'll definatily check out those surf cams.

Yous guys are game for sharing the sea with Great Whites and Tiger Sharks.......much respect!