PDA

View Full Version : Remember Pearl Harbor

KiraHarden
12-07-2007, 11:29 PM
Survivors Remember Pearl Harbor

By AUDREY McAVOY
The Associated Press
Friday, December 7, 2007; 3:45 PM

PEARL HARBOR, Hawaii -- A few dozen graying Pearl Harbor survivors observed a moment of silence on Friday in honor of their comrades who perished in the Japanese bombing of Oahu 66 years ago.

Wearing aloha shirts and orchid flower lei, the veterans stood on a pier overlooking the sunken hull of the USS Arizona and saluted the flag as a sailor sang the "Star Spangled Banner."

Everett Hyland, of Honolulu a Pearl Harbor survivor at the Arizona Memorial, Thursday, November, 29, 2007 in Honolulu. (AP Photo/Lucy Pemoni) (Lucy Pemoni - AP)

"We're honoring the people who were killed. We're not here for ourselves, we're here for them," said George A. Smith, 83, who was on board the USS Oklahoma the morning of Dec. 7, 1941.

Overall, 2,388 Americans died in the Dec. 7, 1941, attacks, including some 900 still entombed in the sunken Arizona.

Hawaii Air National Guard helicopters flew over the harbor in "missing man" formation in honor of those lost. B-2 stealth bombers currently deployed to Guam from Whiteman Air Force Base in Missouri performed an additional flyby.

Survivors of each of the nine battleships bombed in the attack took turns setting wreaths before life preservers bearing the names of their ship.

The crowd of some 2,000 family members, friends, officials and the public honored the survivors with a standing ovation and several minutes of loud applause.

Smith, of Olympia, Wash., was standing watch on the Oklahoma when he saw planes darting through the sky over the harbor.

"One plane came in, circled, came right down to us. The guy opened the hatch to his plane and dropped his torpedo, waved at me and took off," Smith said. "The next thing I knew there was a big explosion."

Smith was able to jump overboard, just avoiding being squashed by the capsizing battleship, and then swam ashore.

Smith was among 18 survivors of the Oklahoma who came to Hawaii to help dedicate a new memorial to the vessel after the main ceremony. The Oklahoma lost 429 sailors and Marines _ the second greatest loss of life among any of the battleships in Pearl Harbor.

KiraHarden
12-07-2007, 11:41 PM
Please add a few pics or comments.

ottorocket
12-08-2007, 12:01 AM
THe greatest generation came from that tragedy.

BeardedOne
12-08-2007, 12:49 AM
Pearl Harbor has a special meaning here in Delaware as Ned Kimmel, son of Admiral Husband Kimmel, Commander of Pearl Harbor at that time spent many years trying to clear his father's name as one of the scapegoats (Along with Lt. General Walter Short) of that catastrophe.

From a 2004 NPR report:

For his part, Ned Kimmel's most recent success was a congressional amendment describing the actions of Kimmel and Short as professional and competent. It urges President Bush to restore them to their highest World War II rank.

dc_guy_75
12-08-2007, 01:27 AM
From the Sopranos:

Tony Blundetto: These South Koreans, owning their own business is like their reilgion or something.

Pauly Walnuts: Remember Pearl Harbor!

thx1138
12-08-2007, 01:31 AM
http://www.independent.org/newsroom/article.asp?id=408

BeardedOne
12-08-2007, 02:15 AM
The last generation's 9/11:

You claim that Admiral Kimmel and General Short—who headed up the army in Hawaii—were denied by Washington of the information that would have let them know the attack was coming. In what ways were Kimmel and Short denied intelligence?

Stinnett: Well, they were just cut off…They were not told that the spy was there, and they were not given these crucial documents, the radio direction finder information. All this information was going to everybody but Kimmel and Short. That’s very clear…. At one point Kimmel specifically requested that Washington let him know immediately about any important developments, but they did not do that.

Kimmel was given some information, because two weeks before the attack he sent the Pacific fleet north of Hawaii on a reconnaissance exercise to look for Japanese carriers. When White House military officials learned of this what was their reaction?

Stinnett: Admiral Kimmel tried a number of occasions to do something to defend Pearl Harbor. And, right, two weeks before the attack, on November 23, Kimmel sent nearly one hundred warships of the Pacific fleet to the exact site where Japan planned to launch the attack. Kimmel meant business. He was looking for the Japanese. His actions indicated that he wanted to be thoroughly prepared for action if he encountered a Japanese carrier force. When White House officials learned this, they directed to Kimmel that he was “complicating the situation”….You see, the White House wanted a clean cut overt act of war by Japan. Isolationists would have charged FDR was precipitating Japanese action by allowing the Pacific fleet in the North Pacific…So, minutes after Kimmel got the White House directive he canceled the exercise and returned the fleet to its anchorage in Pearl Harbor…That’s where the Japanese found it on December 7, 1941.

The White House was handcuffing Kimmel? They wanted him to be completely passive?

Stinnett: That is right.

FDR did send a war warning to Kimmel on November 28. Was that enough of a warning?

Stinnett: Well, that was a warning, but also in there they directed Admiral Kimmel and all the Pacific commanders to stand aside, don’t go on the offensive, and remain in a defensive position, and let Japan commit the first overt act. That’s right in the message, and it’s in my book. And Admiral Kimmel, the message he received, it was repeated twice….stand aside and let Japan commit the first overt act, the exact wording is in my book.

Your book makes it abundantly clear that FDR and his advisors knew Japan was preparing for war, and knew that Japan was eventually going to attack. But can it be said that FDR knew that the attack was going to take place specifically on the morning of December 7 at Pearl Harbor?

Stinnett: Yes…..Absolutely.

pot
12-08-2007, 02:17 AM
Even from this great tradegy came out something good (if one can say so) the US was dragged into WW2 (from my perspective) which really turned things around to the better. We (Europeans) should honnor this today by suporting our fine friends and allieds of course not allways blindly saying yes, but having the friendly attitude to argue against as friends when needed (believed) and of course agreeing with heavier means when believed. Remember a good body is one who also dare to say no. And saying all this I have to empherzise that I do admire and have strong feelings for my friends overseas. I cencirely hope this will be understod in the right mood - positive and suportive

Finally Im a marine man myself (not that it matters (maybe)).

BeardedOne
12-08-2007, 02:31 AM
Even Stinnett sez that Roosevelt's actions (And those of others) were the right thing to do in the situation, because of America's isolationist attitudes.

GrimFusion
12-08-2007, 02:57 AM
Yeah, I remember Pearl Harbor.
That movie blew goats for quarters!

CrazyAboutTGirls
12-08-2007, 03:05 AM
OK, Pearl Habour was a tragedy, and so was 11/9 (WTF month before day!!)

BUT

We are talking about, in total between these two tragedies 8,000 people.

Why are there no posts abouyt the 5 million who have died in the Congo, the 3 million who died under Pol Pott, 30% of eastern Europe died in WWII, so........

KiraHarden
12-08-2007, 03:13 AM

BUT

Why are there no posts abouyt the 5 million who have died in the Congo, the 3 million who died under Pol Pott, 30% of eastern Europe died in WWII, so........
well it is the pearl harbor anniversery.... that could be why... So create a thread for the victims of pol pot etc

CrazyAboutTGirls
12-08-2007, 03:18 AM
OK, good point.

I apologise

Anubis1079
12-08-2007, 05:01 AM
Kira, you always make me proud to serve.

dc_guy_75
12-08-2007, 05:42 AM

BUT

For some reason, there are no posts about the Rape of Nanking, the Incas (or Aztecs), the Viking pillages, nor the Roman supression of the Jews.

It makes me even more angry there are no posts about the Eqyptian slaughter of the Hittites... bastards!

CORVETTEDUDE
12-08-2007, 06:22 AM
My Dad was at Pearl when it got hit. U.S. Army Air Corps, Hickam Field, Scoffield Barracks. Still living, he's 89 years young!

Wombat
12-08-2007, 06:34 AM
I have been to the USS Arizona Memorial last time I made a port visit to Pearl. Very poignant, especially when you think that there was 37 sets of brothers on that ship, 23 of whom were lost.

Lest We Forget.

chefmike
12-08-2007, 12:11 PM
I've been so busy at work that I totally forgot that it was Pearl Harbor day. Whenever we pulled into Hawaii(aboard the "Shitty Kitty" CV-63) we would pass the Arizona memorial...what a terrible day that was for those sailors...RIP shipmates.

thx1138
12-08-2007, 12:59 PM
If you know someone is on their way to kill a member of your family and you don't (for whatever reason) alert him/her of impending danger what does that make you?

chefmike
12-08-2007, 03:47 PM
Maybe you should save those BS conspiracy theories for another thread, zealot. We are honoring fallen heroes in this thread, son.

So fuck off.

chefmike
12-08-2007, 04:01 PM

BUT

So...what's your point, asshole? Do you feel that it's necessary to belittle those fallen heroes who died at Pearl Harbor just to remind us of other tragedies? And for what good reason, you fucking schmuck?

Anubis1079
12-08-2007, 07:13 PM
Here's an idea...instead of hijacking a thread to bitch because there isn't one for some other tragedies, start your own topic about those, since you feel so strongly about it.

KiraHarden
12-08-2007, 08:16 PM
Here's an idea...instead of hijacking a thread to bitch because there isn't one for some other tragedies, start your own topic about those, since you feel so strongly about it.
No Kidding, How difficultt is it to start a topic... :x

thx1138
12-09-2007, 03:08 AM
Struck a nerve, have I? I could apologize but I won't. I posted no conspiracy theory but posed an ethical/moral question. If you don't want to answer it just say so. No need for profanity. You called me son? You have no idea how old I am.

D'yer Mak'er
12-09-2007, 08:58 AM

BUT

For some reason, there are no posts about the Rape of Nanking, the Incas (or Aztecs), the Viking pillages, nor the Roman supression of the Jews.

It makes me even more angry there are no posts about the Eqyptian slaughter of the Hittites... bastards!

and Unit 731, the Bataan Death March, the My Lai Massacre, etc.
it's true though, the post was made on the day of a specific event, in remembrance of that event.
yes, pearl harbor the movie sucked, as well as the loss of life in the real life event. real life tragedy right there, don't get off topic.