PDA

View Full Version : Return of The Sith

Adam_Thompson
05-31-2005, 03:50 PM
Has anyone seen the new Star Wars movie yet...and is it good?

Ecstatic
05-31-2005, 04:14 PM
It's awesome! I don't want to give away too much, but it turns out that Yoda is an hermaphrodite, Obi-Wan is a cross-dresser, and Amidala is the most gorgeous transsexual you've ever laid eyes on. Anakin turns to the dark side in order to invoke an ancient Sith secret, the existence of which the Jedi deny, which allows Amidala to give birth to Luke and Leia while remaining a tranny. :evil:

Vicki Richter
05-31-2005, 07:28 PM
I concur. It was every bit as good as any one of episodes 4, 5, or 6. From an action perspective, it was the best of them all. Most of my guy friends have seen it 3-4 times already. I went with my sister this past weekend and we both really liked it.

Overlord Abomination
05-31-2005, 08:59 PM
Yea Im gonna agree with everyone, Awesome movie. Catch it in Imax if you can. And if you go to a regular, Normal sized, theater Make sure you get a seat where there isnt someone infront of you with that annoyingly gay spiked hairstyle...Fuckin spikeheads blocking my view.

partlycloudy
05-31-2005, 09:14 PM
http://img14.echo.cx/img14/6525/11168027925022cx.gif (http://www.imageshack.us)

Ecstatic
05-31-2005, 09:37 PM
In all seriousness, I'd have to say it's at least as good as Return of the Jedi, possibly better. The two best for me will always be A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back, the first for being the breakout that it was combined with the highest pitch of sheer movie magic, a good dollop of humor, and Alec Guinness, and the second for the tightest, if at times darkest, writing of the series.

Vicki Richter
05-31-2005, 11:19 PM
I guess a lot of it depends on what you like about the movies. The fighting was unbelievable in episodes 1 - 3. If you watch the choreography of the original 3 (4-6) it is pretty laughable in comparison. I sat through Jar Jar 3 times just because I wanted to see Darth Maul kick people's ass.

Seeing the most powerful jedi equal to or > the emperor was very cool. It shows just how weak Luke actually was even at the peak of his power. A fully trained Luke would have been smacked down by one of the jedi kids from the first 3 movies.

All that said, it's really hard for me to judge because as any 20-somethings we grew up with the first three movies being the shit. What I will say is that I have a DVD player with HD upsampling for standard DVD's and the first three remastered on DVD look absolutely amazing. I can see the dirt granuals in the first movie.

The only thing ridiculous about the first movie (episode 4) was the laser gun shots and the tactics the alliance used when fighting the Deathstar. When someone says "Cover me" usually that doesn't mean stay in the way of the enemy fighters until they kill you. I hated the Ewoks as much as I hated Jar Jar. When you realize that storm troopers are clones of Boba Fett's dad (Jango?), seeing Ewoks taking out "a legion" of them with sticks and bows and arrows is stupid. Very annoying.

Vicki "Star Wars Geek" Richter

geekmeat
05-31-2005, 11:55 PM
Let me say that I am a hardcore scifi guy and I must say that this latest installment was the worse one.
Was it just me or did anyone else get dizzy by all the scene cutting that was going on......very amatuerish to me.
I did like the emperor or senator palpatine.......this guy was a sneaky evil ruthless politician.....just like Carl Rove...pure evil.
The whole romance thing with natalie portman was whack.....although she looks goods.
I enjoyed watching samuel jackson whip palpatines ass........
I didnt expect much since all these star wars movies arent really like other harcore scifi movies.
They always go out of there way to make you sympathize with the "good guys" and hate the "bad guys".
My favorite scifi movie is Blade Runner......the most influential scifi movie ever.

I guess a lot of it depends on what you like about the movies. The fighting was unbelievable in episodes 1 - 3. If you watch the choreography of the original 3 (4-6) it is pretty laughable in comparison. I sat through Jar Jar 3 times just because I wanted to see Darth Maul kick people's ass.

Seeing the most powerful jedi equal to or > the emperor was very cool. It shows just how weak Luke actually was even at the peak of his power. A fully trained Luke would have been smacked down by one of the jedi kids from the first 3 movies.

All that said, it's really hard for me to judge because as any 20-somethings we grew up with the first three movies being the shit. What I will say is that I have a DVD player with HD upsampling for standard DVD's and the first three remastered on DVD look absolutely amazing. I can see the dirt granuals in the first movie.

The only thing ridiculous about the first movie (episode 4) was the laser gun shots and the tactics the alliance used when fighting the Deathstar. When someone says "Cover me" usually that doesn't mean stay in the way of the enemy fighters until they kill you. I hated the Ewoks as much as I hated Jar Jar. When you realize that storm troopers are clones of Boba Fett's dad (Jango?), seeing Ewoks taking out "a legion" of them with sticks and bows and arrows is stupid. Very annoying.

Vicki "Star Wars Geek" Richter

Harrys Boy
06-01-2005, 12:35 AM
yeah the cross cutting between scenes was tiresome, like something out of a football game, the dialogue tended to be long and dull but its always like that in star wars, must say that the action scene's were very good maybe the best, and the acting wasnt as wretched as in the last 2 films with ewan mcgregor and hayden Christensen putting in fairly decent performances and about time in McGregors case. I only wish Dooku could have stayed around for a bit longer even tho Grievous was an excellent new villan.

el hermano
06-01-2005, 12:48 AM
i thought it was blah

Overlord Abomination
06-01-2005, 12:51 AM
even tho Grievous was an excellent new villan.

Your jokin right? Grievous went out like a pussy. First he swings his lightsabers Just to show how much of ribbon twirler he really is, Then he gets whacked Like a pussy. I expected so much from grievous, And They offed him like a sissy. I for one am fond of All the performances. Especially in this movie. Though at the end...Dear god I swore that wasnt James earl jones. I do wish The film wasnt Rushed like it was. Hell If LOTR can kick out a 3 hour movie I see no reason Why George Luca's couldnt have made His last star wars film (possibly) a masterpiece.

Ive got 2 questions:

1)They never explained why that Jedi master sent the order to create the clones now did they? Of course Im led to believe Sidious actually did it But its never been explained

2)Has anyone read the scripts to Episodes 7,8, & 9? If so Do you hate it also?

Vicki Richter
06-01-2005, 01:40 AM
Let me say that I am a hardcore scifi guy and I must say that this latest installment was the worse one.
Was it just me or did anyone else get dizzy by all the scene cutting that was going on......very amatuerish to me.
I did like the emperor or senator palpatine.......this guy was a sneaky evil ruthless politician.....just like Carl Rove...pure evil.
The whole romance thing with natalie portman was whack.....although she looks goods.
I enjoyed watching samuel jackson whip palpatines ass........
I didnt expect much since all these star wars movies arent really like other harcore scifi movies.
They always go out of there way to make you sympathize with the "good guys" and hate the "bad guys".
My favorite scifi movie is Blade Runner......the most influential scifi movie ever.

Anyone who puts a movie like Bladerunner above any Star Wars flick would certainly be a huge fan of the gay houses of NYC. It all becomes clear now Sebastian. You probably are one of the people who actually bought "The Piano".

Ecstatic
06-01-2005, 01:53 AM
You have a point, Vicki: eliminate JarJar and the Episodes 1 and 2 suddenly come off much better. And yes, the Ewoks were every bit as annoying as JarJar (though the scene of the Ewoks taking out an Imperial Walker attack with tree trunks on ropes was nonetheless a good laugh).

I find it interesting to hear 20-something views of Star Wars: I guess you weren't even born until after the original movie came out in 1977, ehh? (That's rhetorical; I'd never ask a woman her age.) I was in college then...and I started college seven years after high school. For me, classic SF is the 50s: Forbidden Planet, War of the Worlds (NOT Tom Cruise!), The Day the Earth Stood Still...great stuff. My all-time favorite SF movies include 2001, Forbidden Planet (youthful indulgence), the first (and only the first) Matrix, Dune, and Metropolis.

Overlord Abomination
06-01-2005, 02:26 AM
The fifth element anyone? Great Movie, Great cast and just watching Luc bring his idea to life, From start to finish is nothing short of phenomenal

Ecstatic
06-01-2005, 02:49 AM
Oh yeah, I meant to include Fifth Element in my list of faves. Typical Bruce Willis bluster, but I thought Milla was fine, and I just loved the set designs by Moebius. Brilliant SF has to have an original take on the technology as well as the special effects; Lynch achieved that with Dune, Kubrick with 2001, Lang with Metropolis. Each the product of its era, but each breaking new ground and standing up over time.

ulickeydickey?
06-01-2005, 04:17 AM
Anybody else catch that glimpse of the Millenium Falcon in Episode III?

hondarobot
06-01-2005, 04:29 AM
I don't think it was the Millenium Falcon, just another ship of that class (Corellian Cruiser or whatever it was).

And Bladerunner is a better movie than any of the episodes. Star Wars, although, is very much in a class of itself and can't really be judged by those terms. I saw it when I was in the third grade, the year it came out.

I even got one of the very first action figures bought at the theatre. Of all the options, I picked the jawa. Just kinda liked those guys. Probably would be worth some money right now, but he was blown up by a firecracker many years ago.

What the hell, he had a good life.

:)

Slither
06-01-2005, 04:56 AM
Am I the only person in the universe who's never seen a Star Wars movie? :?

Overlord Abomination
06-01-2005, 07:24 AM
Feel pity on yourself...Your an outcast

dreamer
06-01-2005, 10:12 AM
I saw Revenge of the Sith Yesterday....I thought it was awesome.....but I also have a ?......if R2D2 and Annikan Skywalker were buddies (which they were )..then why didn't R2 tell LUKE about Annikan?....or maybe robots don't recognize blood lines?....I totally loved SITH ...I was amazed at sooooo many background shots and basically every setting throughout........and THANKS to whoever said Yoda was a Hermaphrodite.....I fully mentioned it to my Dad before we went to see it!!!!

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
06-01-2005, 10:54 AM
showing my age here but fuck it
having grown up on Star Wars & Blade Runner to say that Blade Runner is better than any episode of Star Wars (even Episode 4) is a fucking joke. Blade Runner will always have a cult following and I respect that, but it's not even in the same league as the "force" films.

There are so many holes to the 3rd episode that it's funny after the 3rd time watching it.
#1: Annakin has the sith at his knees and the emperor says kill him; Annakin says "I shouldn't" this is a 15-20 second window of opportunity to move your fuckin neck away from both lightsabers, but he just sits there.

#2: All who said Griveous (however you spell it) died like a pussy, you're right he did. But then again you wouldnt know how awesome he was unless you watched the animated series or read the comics/graphic novels.

#3: Yoda KNEW Annakin was still alive, but didn't say shit to Obi-Wan; you mean to tell me you're gonna teach Obi how to see his old master years later after watching him die to Maul (another Sith that went way too fast) instead of right after he killed Maul and returned to the Jedi council?!? gimme a fuckin break.........

and finally..................

#4: James Earl Jones' excessively LONGGGGGGGGGGGGGG dialogue at the near end of the flick.......... it was better in the commercials and radio spots............"Lord Vader...............Yes Master? Rise....................." they should've left it like that.

Overlord Abomination
06-01-2005, 07:53 PM
#2: All who said Griveous (however you spell it) died like a pussy, you're right he did. But then again you wouldnt know how awesome he was unless you watched the animated series or read the comics/graphic novels.
and finally..................

#4: James Earl Jones' excessively LONGGGGGGGGGGGGGG dialogue at the near end of the flick.......... it was better in the commercials and radio spots............"Lord Vader...............Yes Master? Rise....................." they should've left it like that.

Never saw the cartoon, I just couldnt remember when to tune in. But come on No matter how hardcore he seems in the other products when it all comes down to it in the movie, Which is pretty much what everyone see's, He went out like a sucka. 2 caps and he dropped. I actually thought he was gonna get back up. But he didnt.

I actually think the dialogue was needed just to flesh out Vader's character more. The thought of him killing Padme, really drove him over the edge, Quite possibly increasing his power.

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
06-01-2005, 08:06 PM
I actually think the dialogue was needed just to flesh out Vader's character more. The thought of him killing Padme, really drove him over the edge, Quite possibly increasing his power.

then why not just say to Vader: Obi Wan killer Padme
that would have fit the fight scene perfectly in episode 4

Vicki Richter
06-01-2005, 08:15 PM
He gets killed by a Jedi Master. You know the same guy who killed Darth Maul and kicked Anakin's ass?

I saw like 5-10 Jedi guys in the movie get killed by blasters. How come because the robot gets killed with a blaster, that isn't enough? So a blaster is enough to kill any being in the universe, but the droid general guy (because he was cool in some stupid cartoon) should be immune.

Please. Everyone's a critic.

The Vader dialogue at the end was very compelling. It explains his hate and self loathing.

hondarobot
06-01-2005, 08:51 PM
Actually (and I'm probably at risk of getting blasted myself, here) a blaster is not enough to kill every being in the universe. Han Solo cracked off at least two shots at Vader in Empire Strikes Back, and all he got was his gun taken away. Although, I suppose you could try and sneak up on him. . .

And now that I'm thinking of it, Solo had his gun in Jedi, how did he get it back from Vader?

Obviously, such plot holes would never occur in a film of Blade Runners high caliber 8)

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
06-01-2005, 09:52 PM
Vader asking where Padme was is one of the cheesiest fuckin lines in the whole saga, closely followed by Luke saying "Nooooooooooooooooooooo" when he finds out Darth is his father..............

blckhaze
06-01-2005, 09:55 PM
#3: Yoda KNEW Annakin was still alive, but didn't say shit to Obi-Wan; you mean to tell me you're gonna teach Obi how to see his old master years later after watching him die to Maul (another Sith that went way too fast) instead of right after he killed Maul and returned to the Jedi council?!? gimme a fuckin break.........

it never said whether Obi-wan knew if annakin was dead. padme dies before he can say anything about it(which was the worst acting of chilbirth/dying ive seen in a while). your left to assume that he does cause in episode iv, he trains luke to go against him.

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
06-01-2005, 10:03 PM

it never said whether Obi-wan knew if annakin was dead. padme dies before he can say anything about it(which was the worst acting of chilbirth/dying ive seen in a while). your left to assume that he does cause in episode iv, he trains luke to go against him.

Haze I said Yoda, not Obi-Wan
and yes, that childbirth scene was pretty bad, lol
Episode 4 when Obi-Wan looks at Luke then prepares to die is one of the best scenes IMO, makes you wonder if he could've kept fighting Vader if Luke hadn't shown up.

Harrys Boy
06-01-2005, 10:36 PM
when i mentioned Grievious earlier i wasnt interested how he died i just liked the personality he had considering he was a droid, one of the most interesting main characters in the star wars cannon so far

blckhaze
06-01-2005, 11:05 PM
grevious was a cyborg, not a droid. mainly his head and torso still had flesh (reason two shots to his stomach killed him) he originally was supposed to be android, but the designers decide to give him a "human" element. androids dont cough.

and JWBL, obi was still young, like 20-25 when quaegown died. totally not ready to learn those things. patience is why he is able to learn at all.

Harrys Boy
06-01-2005, 11:15 PM
is anybody with me on the fact that dooku should have stayed for longer, i mean the end of the second film was about him surviving and ploting for this film so y get rid of him early?

blckhaze
06-01-2005, 11:39 PM
guess he had other things to do? head modeling perhaps!

Overlord Abomination
06-02-2005, 04:06 AM

then why not just say to Vader: Obi Wan killer Padme
that would have fit the fight scene perfectly in episode 4

Well maybe because Vader wouldnt have believed that. What reason would Obi-wan have to kill Padme? Of course saying that Wouldve fit the fight scene perfectly But Technically I doubt Vaders character wouldve believed it.

if R2D2 and Annikan Skywalker were buddies (which they were )..then why didn't R2 tell LUKE about Annikan?

R2D2 And C3PO had a memory wipe at the very end of the movie.

He gets killed by a Jedi Master. You know the same guy who killed Darth Maul and kicked Anakin's ass?

I saw like 5-10 Jedi guys in the movie get killed by blasters. How come because the robot gets killed with a blaster, that isn't enough? So a blaster is enough to kill any being in the universe, but the droid general guy (because he was cool in some stupid cartoon) should be immune.

It wasnt just some a cartoon, it was a cheap way to Introduce characters to the star wars universe and Ultimately tie in to Episode 3. From the bits and pieces Ive seen It wouldve made a nice movie, But Star wars Episode 2.5 wouldve confused people.

And I truly Doubt Obi-wan wouldve kicked Anakins ass ,Had he not been hell bent on rage. Its clear they were pretty even matched and If Anakin had given Obi wan a Force Push ,then leaped, He wouldnt have become a limbless burnt freak.

Theres so much shit in this movie which can be debated. My top favorites are Grevious and Dooku.

Felicia Katt
06-02-2005, 05:04 AM
best line in the movie was when Anakin said he shouldn't have killed an unarmed man. (right after cutting of Dookoo's hands)

Felicia

hondarobot
06-02-2005, 05:17 AM
hehe, I think the poor guy was just too caught up in his "right to bear arms".

suckseed
06-03-2005, 08:34 PM
http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2457246?refsite=7063&ns=1

click the 'watch now' button. dig obi wan's expression...

el hermano
06-03-2005, 11:47 PM
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/images/ep3_tot3.gif

Gillian
06-05-2005, 02:06 AM
Sheesh! I've been lurking on this board for over two years now, and I pop my "first post" cherry on a Star Wars thread :roll:

Class myself as a fan, as opposed to a fanatic, but pretty much agree with most of what's been said above. Lucas should stick to production and overseeing effects, and leave the direction to others. That said, I enjoyed Episode 3, despite its undeniable flaws. Yup, most of the films have that "could have been better" quality to them, but you've got to take your hat of to the guy for conceiving a world and fleshing it out in such detail.

PS. Note to self: perhaps it's time to contribute on some transgender-related threads :wink:

Bigguy
06-05-2005, 10:38 PM
Has anyone seen the new Star Wars movie yet...and is it good?
I was staying out of this thread until I saw the movie. I finally got around to it this afternoon, I'd say it was a lot better than the first two.

Anyone who puts a movie like Bladerunner above any Star Wars flick would certainly be a huge fan of the gay houses of NYC. It all becomes clear now Sebastian. You probably are one of the people who actually bought "The Piano".
LMAO!

For me, classic SF is the 50s: Forbidden Planet
That is one of my favorite movies. Better than any SF movie of the time.

The two best for me will always be A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back
I'd say that episode 5 is one of my least favorites out of the series. I don't know why people like that one the best. Is it because Vader loves choking people to death in that one?

All that said, it's really hard for me to judge because as any 20-somethings we grew up with the first three movies being the shit.
Same for me being 30-something. At least I got to see them all in the theater when they first came out. :D I remember seeing episode 4 for the first time, and when the opening credits started with "Episode IV" I thought to my self, "what happened to the first 3 episodes" lol.

One thing I didn't think was going to happen was Padme dying right away after childbirth. The only reason I say that is because in episode 6 Leah says to Luke that she remembers her mother a little bit, saying she was very beautiful, kind but sad. I guess she must have memories from a recording being she was a baby.

You have a point, Vicki: eliminate JarJar and the Episodes 1 and 2 suddenly come off much better.
I didn't mind JarJar in episode 2, he wasn't in there enough to annoy me like the first episode. I wasn't really fond of the Ewoks either in 6, its just they seem to take up too much of the screen time. When they cut to the scene where Vader finds out about Leah and Luke kicks his ass, that was so great it still gets me emotional when I watch it after all the times that I've seen it.

The fighting scenes in 3 were the best, and they waste no time going at it. Going back to the old movies fight scenes is like watching it in slow motion now.

Vicki Richter
06-06-2005, 06:31 AM
Bigguy... Why couldn't Leah's stepmother have been sad? Obviously Leah wouldn't have been told she was adopted because they had to protect her. I am sure her mother was very sad because she had to lie to her all those years.

Bigguy
06-06-2005, 06:40 AM
She was probably sad too, but Luke wasn't asking about her: "Leia, do you remember your mother... your real mother". So I don't get how she could remember her being she died during childbirth.

Vicki Richter
06-06-2005, 06:48 AM
She was probably sad too, but Luke wasn't asking about her: "Leia, do you remember your mother... your real mother". So I don't get how she could remember her being she died during childbirth.

There was never any indication at that point that she knew she was adopted. If you are adopted but your adopted parents don't tell you, then, in your perception, that person is your real parent.

Bigguy
06-06-2005, 06:53 AM
Well the only indication I first thought of is that her mother was a queen and she was a princess. Was her stepmother a queen also? I don't recall. But the context that Luke was using I assumed that she knew which mother he was talking about, but hey anything is possible.

Ecstatic
06-06-2005, 07:04 AM
Well, I just chalk it up to Lucas being imaginative but also derivative and sloppy: Star Wars isn't The Lord of the Rings, where Tolkien carefully (one could say tediously) traces lineages back through centuries and even millenia, with nary a slip no matter how closely one peruses the material. But SW is simply a fun romp through space opera (a very old SF form: check out E E "Doc" Smith's Lensmen series or, for much higher caliber, Asimov's Foundation series) with a chaser of Joe Campbell Hero with 1000 Faces heroic quest. There are gaps and errors and holes all over the place. But it's still fun.

Felicia Katt
06-06-2005, 07:05 AM

Those who are strong in the ways of the force can commune with those who were alive, but have now become part of the force.

or, like Vicki says, her memories of her adoptive mother are what she was referring to.

Felicia