PDA

View Full Version : The geek ratio among HA girls (and guys)

JustMeHere
12-05-2007, 10:18 AM
Ok, so I'm one of those horrible people who joined a while back, and reads everything, but never posts. I hope you'll all forgive me for that, and for my erratic posting in the future. But, before I finally go to bed tonight, I was wondering something and I figured I might as well put it out there.

All through my high school years I was never able to get a girl. In fact, I don't think girls even looked at me until my later college years, when I started to change my look a bit and became the moderately attractive (or at least not hideous ... I'll put up a picture of me that someone took recently ... she wanted me to look sexy, it came out as brooding annoyance, but hey, I just don't do sexy) individual I am today. I had always attributed my horrible skill with good looking girls to the fact that I'm an utter geek. It's true, I'm a literary nerd and even a watcher of Star Trek. I just never found there to bee too many good looking girls who can associate with their inner geek and lower themselves to the dorky things we do.

So enough rhetoric and on to the topic ... I was wondering, since TS girls have an idea of what it was like to be boy at some point, do some of you connect with us people who will never be cool no matter how hard they try? Or is it the opposite? For the most part, all of the girls I see on HA have a great taste of aesthetics (something I"ll never have). There are very few instances when the category of girls who can dress well overlaps the category of girls who can be classified geeks. So what is it? I really can't imagine some of the girls here (Like Jen Paris, extremely nice, but I can't see a dorky side) watching Battlestar Galactica at home, but maybe someone who's the girl next door (like Leora, who I still happen to think is the most gorgeous girl ever!) would turn on the video games after a long day.

Ok, enough rant, hopefully someone will post back on this.

GrimFusion
12-05-2007, 11:23 AM
I'm a nerd. I know how to conduct myself around women and friends, but I'm still a nerd. My console and video game collection makes most people duce themselves, and whenever I have free time I'm usually doing something nerdy and creative on my computer.

I think I shared the same scenario with you back in High School, man. I wasn't taken seriously by women. On the other hand, I wasn't a band geek. I had plenty of friends that didn't give a damn if I busted into a conversation about Chrono Trigger or PCs vs Macs.

Fox
12-05-2007, 11:42 AM
Heh, I feel you. You know what happened to me after awhile? I simply stopped caring. This was around the same time I stopped crushing on celebs, too. Once I started fully embracing my geekdom and got my swagger back, the girls started noticing. I think part of it was I was putting girls on a pedastal thinking I needed to change to their standards.

Of course, changing up a few cosmetic things helps, but trying to be cool doesn't work in my experience (and they probably see through it anyway), just do you and be proud of it and you'll likely notice a difference.

youcancallmeclaire
12-05-2007, 03:20 PM
I have 13 computers and I watch Stargate.
Is this awesome?
(y/n)

CORVETTEDUDE
12-05-2007, 03:26 PM
Bailiff....Whack his Pee-Pee! :crazy

chefmike
12-05-2007, 04:24 PM
Maybe hondarobot will be your friend, he needs one...

Caleigh
12-05-2007, 05:28 PM
I bet if there was some objective measurement this
site would tip WAY on the geek/nerd side of things.
Guys and girls included.

NewYorker
12-05-2007, 06:40 PM
Is this awesome?
(y/n)

Yes. Out of curiosity, what do you need with 13 computers?

SarahG
12-05-2007, 08:06 PM
Is this awesome?
(y/n)

Who doesn't need 13 computers?

NewYorker
12-05-2007, 08:45 PM
Is this awesome?
(y/n)

Who doesn't need 13 computers?

Everyone needs 13 computers but everyone needs them for different reasons. What's your reason?

Special42
12-06-2007, 12:30 AM
Im a nerd and proud of it! I was friends with a ton of girls, in high school. Its all what you make it of it. In college (engineering) its all school for me, i spend my days making robots, but i still have lots of girls that hang out with me. Just not the ones i'd meet here. :(

Quinn
12-06-2007, 01:35 AM
Though I’ve never been called a nerd –probably because I’ve always been very physical – I definitely have some nerdy traits:

1) I read constantly. At any given time, I’m reading at least three different books, most of which would be considered “heavy” reading.
2) I am a huge fan of science fiction (mandatory for nerdiness).
3) Prior to switching to my current vocation, I used to work in IT.
4) I really enjoy academia.
5) I fucking love numbers.

-Quinn

Leverage87
12-06-2007, 01:38 AM
I confess, I'm a nerd! I play video games, have random trivial knowledge about history, movies, and music, and I read constantly as well.

stillies77
12-06-2007, 01:54 AM
my avatar says everything about me haha...plus i have 318 issues of Amazing Spider-Man...yep Dork.

MrsKellyPierce
12-06-2007, 01:54 AM
What exactly makes a geek?

I'd say I'm not a geek like watching sci-fi or being into bio chemistry.

I'd say it's things I sometimes say. lol

trish
12-06-2007, 02:43 AM
i think it's pretty clear that i'm a geek. in politics and religion, i post on the dynamics of climate change, on cosmology, theology, & politics. in the general forum i post on the cartoon thread almost daily and usually put my two cents in on sci fi movies and tv shows. all my life i felt like a geek and i'm not only used to it, i identify with it.

tsmandy
12-06-2007, 06:31 AM
I'm not really a geek, but I've always had a fondness for them. I'm not going to join them when they have a gaming night or anything, but I'll sit down, smoke a bowl and watch an episode of Angel, maybe peruse their dirty comicbooks.

All my life, I've never really fit in with any one group, and I tend to like people based on their intelligence and individuality, and I've found alot of nerds to be smart, sensitive, and free thinking. Plus, as my nerdy lover has often pointed out too me, nerds are total sex fiends to boot.

So if you feel like a geek, don't worry, I think geeky guys are kind of sexy.
http://mandytgirl.com
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mandytgirl/

Luna555
12-06-2007, 06:51 AM
Nerdy guys are sooo hot! I wouldnt say I am nerdy though. I dont even know what exactly is defined by others as being nerdy or geeky...anyways whats the difference...I dont really know I just know I am really attracted to "nerdy" guys. :)

Things I like whether they make me a nerd or not:

dissecting things is something I LOVE TO DO!!!! Its really cool to be able to identify things, I remember I loved when I had to dissect something in highschool. I felt like I was on a mission to find the things that were listed for us to find.

I love Sci-Fi movies. (I hate heroes though, I liked it before but honestly after a while it got kinda repetitive and dull.)

I am really interested in science.

I would say I am more artsy than nerdy though.

Legend
12-06-2007, 07:00 AM
I love Sci-Fi movies. (I hate heroes though, I liked it before but honestly after a while it got kinda repetitive and dull.)

Co-sign,heroes is all hype and good marketing you get hook at first from the hype but after watching it you realize the plot is a borefest and the characters are generic,you can say that heroes is a poor man's x men.

Luna555
12-06-2007, 07:03 AM
Yeah Heroes is horrible. Okay maybe not horrible but I really hate how they leave an empty feeling at the end. It seems to never end with an actual ending and I hate those types of endings when they are done wrong.

Legend
12-06-2007, 07:26 AM
Yeah Heroes is horrible. Okay maybe not horrible but I really hate how they leave an empty feeling at the end. It seems to never end with an actual ending and I hate those types of endings when they are done wrong.

You must love lost then lol.

JustMeHere
12-06-2007, 07:31 AM
I guess my geekiness is fizzling out ... I've never seen an episode of Heroes. I am, however, still partial to Galactica. Believe it or not, it's a great show.

And a lot of you are right. Everyone's geeky to some degree. It's just what you choose to obsess over.

Thanks, all, for your opinions and showing your dorky sides. Keep 'em coming.

stillies77
12-06-2007, 07:32 AM
that avatar is fuckin creepy

hondarobot
12-06-2007, 07:33 AM

What the hell is up with that sig, Legend? Nearly all you guys will throw a knife in someone's back as soon as it becomes convenient. Fuck you.

I'd never do that.

Luna555
12-06-2007, 07:35 AM
I actually dont even know what Lost is...or why its funny. I love Pushing Daisies but id say that is more like a fantasy than science fiction

Legend
12-06-2007, 07:36 AM

What the hell is up with that sig, Legend? Nearly all you guys will throw a knife in someone's back as soon as it becomes convenient. Fuck you.

I'd never do that.

Dude nothing personally against i just lost a bet and with that my rights to a avatar and sig for about two months.

hondarobot
12-06-2007, 07:38 AM

I'd never do that.

Dude nothing personally against i just lost a bet and with that my rights to a avatar and sig for about two months.

Oh, well it's a pretty bad avatar. I apologize.

Legend
12-06-2007, 07:39 AM

I'd never do that.

Oh, well it's a pretty bad avatar. I apologize.

I know i have it blocked.

Legend
12-06-2007, 07:40 AM
I actually dont even know what Lost is...or why its funny. I love Pushing Daisies but id say that is more like a fantasy than science fiction

You never heard of lost the tv show,i laugh at the end because its basically like heroes the plots are boring and they don't know where the hell their going.

youcancallmeclaire
12-06-2007, 07:44 AM

Most of them are older machines that I saved from certain doom in a trash bin. People don't seem to understand that a machine will still work if the OS crashes. :?

So I take them home, fix them up, give them a blanket and some warm soup... a fresh OS and a liberal application of compressed air and vacuuming. And I promise them that they will never be given to children or people who smoke. Both of those things are cruel to computers.

I use them for... Um..... Hm.
I have a laptop. Which makes sense. A desktop for OSX, a desktop for XP and Ubuntu, and a machine in the bedroom that is basically just a jukebox... a few other machines that are just for parts or for fun. It's kind of a collection at this point..

Fixing stuff kind of helps my brain from not trying to kill itself. It's a good way to stay preoccupied. :)

Luna555
12-06-2007, 07:53 AM
Heard of it but dont know what it is about. I thought it was a reality show...reality shows are so stupid...(except I love New York she makes me laugh ALOT!)

suckseed
12-06-2007, 11:11 AM

I'd never do that.

I must admit, I lol'd. Missed the bet, did you? Personally I think it's got everything: heart, an olive branch...snarkiness. Your reaction was a bonus. I assumed you were expecting that, Mr. J.

Quinn
12-06-2007, 05:52 PM

I'd never do that.

LMFAO at the avatar and sig, particularly the sig. What did you and M77 bet on, Legend? Partlycloudy, Night Rider, and I have a bet centered around the upcoming Mayweather/Hatton fight. Avatars are on the line, and I sure as hell hope, if I lose, it doesn't go as bad for me as it did you. Somehow, I have a feeling it will probably be much worse.

-Quinn

NewYorker
12-06-2007, 06:40 PM

Most of them are older machines that I saved from certain doom in a trash bin. People don't seem to understand that a machine will still work if the OS crashes. :?

So I take them home, fix them up, give them a blanket and some warm soup... a fresh OS and a liberal application of compressed air and vacuuming. And I promise them that they will never be given to children or people who smoke. Both of those things are cruel to computers.

I use them for... Um..... Hm.
I have a laptop. Which makes sense. A desktop for OSX, a desktop for XP and Ubuntu, and a machine in the bedroom that is basically just a jukebox... a few other machines that are just for parts or for fun. It's kind of a collection at this point..

Fixing stuff kind of helps my brain from not trying to kill itself. It's a good way to stay preoccupied. :)

For some reason I was expecting you to say you were building a super computer to help you take over the world (though I guess if you were you wouldn't actually tell us).

ottorocket
12-06-2007, 06:43 PM
Heard of it but dont know what it is about. I thought it was a reality show...reality shows are so stupid...(except I love New York she makes me laugh ALOT!)

Her mom is even better...well..more evil that is..lol

CORVETTEDUDE
12-06-2007, 07:00 PM
If I'm a geek, I'm a Motorhead Geek. I'd much rather stick my head into an engine compartment than a pussy!

Luna555
12-06-2007, 07:08 PM
Yeah, Her mom is Satanic! She is scary. But yeah she is so funny. I was couldnt stop laughing at how fake she was last season when she went to church and said that she felt the lord and started screaming...everyone in the crowd was like "wait is she serious?"

ottorocket
12-06-2007, 07:12 PM
Yeah, Her mom is Satanic! She is scary. But yeah she is so funny. I was couldnt stop laughing at how fake she was last season when she went to church and said that she felt the lord and started screaming...everyone in the crowd was like "wait is she serious?"

Yeah and Buddha gets crap for keepin it real...while Miss New York takes her mom's side every time... But i think eventually she's gonna pick Buddha. And now i've admitted my most shameful moment...watching reality tv "I Love NEw York" ....ugghh 2. Lol I have no shame Luna.. :lol:

Luna555
12-06-2007, 07:23 PM
:D GOOD, me either cause if you enjoy it and it makes you laugh and you have fun watching it then thats the only thing that matters...even if others might see it as mindless entertainment. Plus I think its cute you like watching I Love New York...ughhh 2. ;)

ottorocket
12-06-2007, 07:30 PM
:D GOOD, me either cause if you enjoy it and it makes you laugh and you have fun watching it then thats the only thing that matters...even if others might see it as mindless entertainment. Plus I think its cute you like watching I Love New York...ughhh 2. ;)

It all started with Beverly Hills 90210..then to Melrose Place...and now to shows like I<3NY. Its like drugs..they hook you on that first little crack rock...lol

Luna555
12-06-2007, 07:37 PM
lol I dont watch most reality shows...but I do love I Love New York, The BadGirls Club. I like them because they remind me of some of the ghetto fabulous girls in high school.

Legend
12-06-2007, 07:40 PM

I'd never do that.

LMFAO at the avatar and sig, particularly the sig. What did you and M77 bet on, Legend? Partlycloudy, Night Rider, and I have a bet centered around the upcoming Mayweather/Hatton fight. Avatars are on the line, and I sure as hell hope, if I lose, it doesn't go as bad for me as it did you. Somehow, I have a feeling it will probably be much worse.

-Quinn

The avatar bet was with M77 and the sig bet was with suckseed.The bet with them was that crayons after partycloudy found his pics to be fake would never show up on this forum again and well you can tell from my sig and avatar that he did.I sure hope you didn't against mayweather.

Luna555
12-06-2007, 07:41 PM
Oh but wait Beverly Hills 90210 isnt that a drama...or is it a reality show?

Night Rider
12-06-2007, 07:44 PM
Don't worry Quinn, I haven't found anything yet, but you can be sure that you'll get the worst one as partlycloudy doesn't post much!

ottorocket
12-06-2007, 08:43 PM
Oh but wait Beverly Hills 90210 isnt that a drama...or is it a reality show?

Well it was like make believe reality..lol Like the OC and the Hills now

Quinn
12-06-2007, 08:52 PM
Don't worry Quinn, I haven't found anything yet, but you can be sure that you'll get the worst one as partlycloudy doesn't post much!

LOL... Yeah, I kind of figured that would be your logic. One can only hope it will be equally as "mantastic" as M77's choice (which is pretty damn funny). Still, the one saving grace I have is that I didn't bet my sig, but, rather, left that part of the bet for you and Partly. Either way, this will make for some really good laughs before it's over. Come on, Mayweather!

-Quinn

Night Rider
12-06-2007, 08:58 PM

LOL... Yeah, I kind of figured that would be your logic. One can only hope it will be equally as "mantastic" as M77's choice (which is pretty damn funny). Still, the one saving grace I have is that I didn't bet my sig, but, rather, left that part of the bet for you and Partly. Either way, this will make for some really good laughs before it's over. Come on, Mayweather!

-Quinn

I just hope it's not a draw. So if Hatton wins, I choose an avatar for yous two and if Mayweather wins, I get an avatar and a sig? Was that the bet?

..I've came across a few pics today, not crossing any lines but you'll have a pretty red face :oops: :lol:

suckseed
12-06-2007, 09:11 PM
Wouldn't it be more fun for everyone to win/lose if it's a draw?

Night Rider
12-06-2007, 09:36 PM
Yeah, fun for all yous! OK I agree that if it's a draw everyone loses, but I need Quinn and partlycloudy to agree before it's deal...

Quinn
12-06-2007, 09:37 PM

-Quinn

I just hope it's not a draw. So if Hatton wins, I choose an avatar for yous two and if Mayweather wins, I get an avatar and a sig? Was that the bet?

..I've came across a few pics today, not crossing any lines but you'll have a pretty red face :oops: :lol:

I could be wrong, but I think you and Partly have sigs on the line with one another as well. I just have my avatar. As for a draw, it never even occured to me. I'm willing to play a draq any way you and partly decide.

-Quinn

Night Rider
12-06-2007, 09:43 PM
I could be wrong, but I think you and Partly have sigs on the line with one another as well. I just have my avatar. As for a draw, it never even occured to me. I'm willing to play a draq any way you and partly decide.

-Quinn

Yes, we do have a sig bet for a KO or TKO, I forgot about that! It's all in writing somewhere in the sports lounge....

Good luck.

Night Rider
12-06-2007, 10:18 PM
It's highly unlikely that there will be a Draw, but what a let down it would be if no one won, after all the build up to this bet. :(

I got someone to do the gifs :D

If it's a draw then I'm happy if we all have to use the avatars for one month only

..just for a laugh!

Night Rider
12-06-2007, 10:23 PM
I'll PM you

KiraHarden
12-06-2007, 10:42 PM
I love scifi/fantasy books, and video games (rpg) but I lose interest in them fast now

Quinn
12-06-2007, 11:53 PM
It's highly unlikely that there will be a Draw, but what a let down it would be if no one won, after all the build up to this bet. :(

I got someone to do the gifs :D

If it's a draw then I'm happy if we all have to use the avatars for one month only

..just for a laugh!

So long as Partly is down for it, I'm with it as well. Like M77 said, it would be a let down not to after all the build-up.

-Quinn

Night Rider
12-06-2007, 11:57 PM
OK, I'll pm him and see if he's up for it..

peggygee
05-11-2008, 05:42 AM
I'm a geek, and damned proud of it.

But I'm not a dorky geek, I'm a geek with some 'flava'.

And smart men or other geeks are a natural aphrodisiac to
me, providing they have some social skills, can laugh,
converse, emote, etc.