PDA

View Full Version : For those that watched old television shows

Legend
11-30-2007, 06:08 PM
How would you compare television from then to now?Wouldn't you say that shows back then allowed you challenged your imagination whereas shows today give you the same predictable plots time after time.

I'm starting to get into alot of old "fantastical" (for lack of a better term) shows like the hitchhiker,amazing stories,kolchak the night stalker(not the crappy remake) and monsters.I just think televison today is really force crap like reality tv and crappy sci fi.There are four shows i really enjoy eureka,burn notice,psych and monk other then that and adult swim i really don't watch anything else.

Mr_Choc69
11-30-2007, 06:13 PM
Modern TV is mostly Crap. Why do you think the reruns on tvland are so popular - Great TV

Legend
11-30-2007, 06:30 PM
Modern TV is mostly Crap. Why do you think the reruns on tvland are so popular - Great TV

That's all my mom and dad watches and i do occasionally so i agreed with you they do show some old great tv shows.I just wish they would run bonaza and gunsmoke more often.

TJT
11-30-2007, 07:23 PM
I remember getting smoked up on cheap low grade Mexican weed and watching the "Night Stalker." on CBS Tuesday's "Late Night". Then you'd switch over to NBC and catch Tom Snyder interviewing weirdos on the "Tomorrow Show". (Unless you were lucky enough to be near NYC and catch Joe Franklin.)

CBS ran the first and second versions of "The Avengers" in that late night block too.

I had a crush on Joanne Lumley playing Purdy in The Avengers. It was great to see her again a couple of decades later as Patsy on "AbFab".

TJT
11-30-2007, 07:38 PM
I don't remember the Invaders,but I never missed Night Gallery.

When I was a little kid,there was a show called "The Outer Limits" the started out with the line "We are now taking control of your television set......".

I'd jump up switch around the dial quickly just to foil those alien bastards. They weren't gettin' my TV set.

NewYorker
11-30-2007, 08:23 PM
How would you compare television from then to now?Wouldn't you say that shows back then allowed you challenged your imagination whereas shows today give you the same predictable plots time after time.

I'm starting to get into alot of old "fantastical" (for lack of a better term) shows like the hitchhiker,amazing stories,kolchak the night stalker(not the crappy remake) and monsters.I just think televison today is really force crap like reality tv and crappy sci fi.There are four shows i really enjoy eureka,burn notice,psych and monk other then that and adult swim i really don't watch anything else.

It's neither really. The "old shows" are considered better for two reasons, nostalgia and more importantly, it's only the goods that get remembered. The bad stuff sinks and what's good gets remembered fondly. Trust me, there's a ton of crap old tv shows out there. Game shows were the reality shows of early tv and there were a lot of them and most of them were bad.

blckhaze
11-30-2007, 09:00 PM
Reality TV is the death of intelligent TV programming (thx MTV for killing the radio star and tv). Sre some show today are above the crap line, but most of it is uncreative, and uninspiring

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
11-30-2007, 09:11 PM
Personally I think it varies per person and per era that said person grew up in.

Example:

I hardly watch any sitcoms these days, they all seem like garbage to me but I repeatedly turn on Family Guy, one the material is hilarious to me, and two the scripts often clip back to tv shows from my childhood era

BUT

The Drama shows in this day & age have some appeal. Well some of them IMO. I watch Damages, The Shield, The Wire, and believe it or not Heroes. They've drawn me in and I'm content with them. Compared to the drama shows I grew up with they blow the old school stuff away as far as content.

Skwisgarr Skwigelf
07-21-2008, 08:33 AM
Reality TV is the death of intelligent TV programming (thx MTV for killing the radio star and tv). Sre some show today are above the crap line, but most of it is uncreative, and uninspiring

My thoughts exactly seriously there have been like 16 survivor seasons I think people have figured it out if your on an island you need to lie and sleep with some random person series solved

Legend
07-21-2008, 08:54 AM

My thoughts exactly seriously there have been like 16 survivor seasons I think people have figured it out if your on an island you need to lie and sleep with some random person series solved

I think phon*** i mean real world has then bet they are like on there 40th season are something,the show is truly pathetic all they do is throw phony people in a fake house.