PDA

View Full Version : minor technical problem with site

bxguy34
11-26-2007, 06:18 PM
When I scroll over the titles of the posts and that little preview window opens up, they won't go away. Granted all I need to do is refresh the page and they go away, but it is a little annoying. I'm using Safari as my browser.

youcancallmeclaire
11-27-2007, 01:29 AM
I use Safari also and the same thing happens to me. :(

It especially sucks if the preview is of a huge pic that covers the whole browser window. :(

remark44
11-27-2007, 04:03 AM
Me too, I find if I drag the pointer off the link right after I click on it, it doesnt happen

Falrune
11-27-2007, 04:13 AM
I'm on a Mac (OS10.4.10) and I use Safari also, and it is a bit of a nuisance until I learned to avoid touching preview sets with my cursor.

Anyway, the preview windows close with Internet Explorer 5.2 on a Mac as well as with AOL's (Netscape??) browser on a Mac. IE5.2 feels cheap, though. Maybe you can try Mozilla/Firefox (I don't have it on this computer).

For me, it's such a minor annoyance that I'll stick with Safari. I just saw Safari 3.0 is available for download, too.

youcancallmeclaire
11-27-2007, 04:24 AM
I'm on a Mac (OS10.4.10) and I use Safari also, and it is a bit of a nuisance until I learned to avoid touching preview sets with my cursor.

Anyway, the preview windows close with Internet Explorer 5.2 on a Mac as well as with AOL's (Netscape??) browser on a Mac. IE5.2 feels cheap, though. Maybe you can try Mozilla/Firefox (I don't have it on this computer).

For me, it's such a minor annoyance that I'll stick with Safari. I just saw Safari 3.0 is available for download, too.

I think all Mac browsers have some issues...
One time I went through 5 different browsers while attempting to submit a job application online and only the final one worked. I believe it was IE5, which hasn't been updated for Mac in like 5 years. Go figure.

Firefox seems to have the same cache overload problems that Safari has, where when it's been running for several days with 2 dozen tabs open and it nearly slows to a halt... :(

Opera works quite decently, but it saves my favorites file to my desktop and I have no idea how to make it stop doing that.

I really like the feel of Safari, I just wish it were more compatible and didn't slow so much after heavy usage.

I love that it autosaves images and renames them if there is already a file with the same name...
Instead of asking me 30 times whether I want to replace "01.jpg" like every other browser does.
What a pain. :?

Sometimes I wish the iphone and ipod would fail miserably so Apple could go back to being a computer-focused company.

Falrune
11-27-2007, 06:39 AM
Okay. It took a long time (hours, LOL) to update seven programs (including the OS, which contained Safari 3.04), but now I'm at OS10.4.11 and Safari 3.04. Those big preview windows seem to want to close (ie., it's hard to keep them open...) so for me, the update seems to have made a difference... I think the problem has evaporated, at least in my brief testing.

youcancallmeclaire
11-27-2007, 06:47 AM
I never tested v3 on the previews...

But I know I am still getting the problem with the cache overflowing. >_<

/annoyed

GrimFusion
11-27-2007, 06:55 AM
I lol at mac users.

youcancallmeclaire
11-27-2007, 06:58 AM
I lol at mac users.

BITE MY RECTUM, jerkface :P

justatransgirl
11-27-2007, 07:09 AM
I use Firefox, everything works for me. Though we turn the computers off at night. And we reset our router about once a week.

Also our systems are like gigantic. I think Jessica's has like 10GB of ram and several 750+ Gig drives... so when things are bogging down the only way we can tell usually is if the internet pipe slows, like when we are moving a lot of video.

I was thinking of making my i-mac into my network system, but now I'm not so sure.

Sigh,
TS Jamie :-)

GrimFusion
11-27-2007, 07:35 AM
I use Firefox, everything works for me. Though we turn the computers off at night. And we reset our router about once a week.

Also our systems are like gigantic. I think Jessica's has like 10GB of ram and several 750+ Gig drives... so when things are bogging down the only way we can tell usually is if the internet pipe slows, like when we are moving a lot of video.

I was thinking of making my i-mac into my network system, but now I'm not so sure.

Sigh,
TS Jamie :-)

There's no home PC that can sport 10gigs of ram just yet. Also, internet speed is totally independent of processor speed. If you're on wired cat5 lan, you shouldn't have any problems passing large video files and surfing the internet at the same time. Otherwise, even on wireless networks that only boast a 54 mb/s, your internet signal only takes up 12 mb/s of that at maximum.

Ecstatic
11-27-2007, 07:48 AM
There's no home PC that can sport 10gigs of ram just yet. Also, internet speed is totally independent of processor speed. If you're on wired cat5 lan, you shouldn't have any problems passing large video files and surfing the internet at the same time. Otherwise, even on wireless networks that only boast a 54 mb/s, your internet signal only takes up 12 mb/s of that at maximum.
That's right, I was going to say more or less the same thing. I'm running 4 GB RAM on my workstation, and it took a bit of massaging of Vista's BCDEdit to assign that memory between the OS and applications. (BCDEdit replaced bootcfg.exe on older Windoze systems.) Most 32-bit applications cannot address above 2 GB of RAM.

Internet speed usually isn't a problem for me on Verizon FIOS, which averages 11MB/s download and 1.8MB/s upload. My workstation is hardwired cat5 and my laptop wireless, and I notice very little difference between them.

youcancallmeclaire
11-29-2007, 11:02 PM

PPC G5 and Mac Pro both support and recognize up to 16 gb of ram and have done so since October 2005.

Ecstatic
11-30-2007, 12:18 AM
True; according to developer.apple.com:

"The main logic board of the Power Mac G5 computer has 8 slots of DDR2 SDRAM expansion for unbuffered, DDR2-533 (PC2-4200) dual inline memory modules (DIMMs) for a maximum memory of 16 GB. The Power Mac G5 accepts both ECC and non-ECC DIMMs."

Here's a dream configuration:

8-core two 3.0GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon “Clovertown” processors
Two 3.0GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
16GB (8 x 2GB)
750GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500 512MB, Stereo 3D (2 x dual-link DVI)
One 16x SuperDrive
Apple Keyboard and Mighty Mouse - U.S. English
Mac OS X - U.S. English

All yours for only $11,941!!!!!!!!

A 32-bit Windows PC, in contrast, is limited effectively to 3 GB RAM, as Jack Schofield explains:

"The 32-bit processor can access 4GB of address space, but the hardware design may mean it cannot address 4GB of physical memory. In the original IBM PC, for example, the processor could address 1MB but only 640K was available to the operating system: you lost the top 384K (37.5%). In modern 32-bit PCs, you lose the area from 3GB to 4GB (25%). This space is used for graphics, input-out operations, the system board and so on. Often these addresses are reserved even if the devices are not fitted: your hi-def PC still has memory space for 1980s graphics cards. This means that 3GB is usually the useful limit for a 32-bit PC."

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/askjack/2007/06/maximum_ram_in_a_windows_pc.html

A power mac configured similiarly to my PC would run over $4000:

Subtotal $3,996.00

Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
4GB (4 x 1GB)
NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB (single-link DVI/dual-link DVI)
Apple Keyboard and Mighty Mouse - U.S. English
Mac OS X - U.S. English

That's more than $1500 more than I paid for my Dell, not counting extensive software upgrades (though I won't argue that the Mac would outperform the PC).

youcancallmeclaire
11-30-2007, 12:40 AM
I remember when the 16gb capable Powermacs came out and I went to the site and configured one that was completely maxed out... I believe the total was over $24,000. :lol:

The only Mac I ever actually bought was 5 years ago... it was completely maxed out and the total came to $4500.
I usually have no regrets about it, until I think about the fact that I paid four times more for a computer than I did for my car. :shock: