PDA

View Full Version : WHAT'S IN YOUR WALLET: FUCK CAPITAL ONE

Hara_Juku Tgirl
11-24-2007, 01:29 AM
Last Friday I went online to pay my bill. Their online website was going through a routine maintenance. So I tried calling their 800 number. And I found out that they charge extra for paying your bills thru the phone. So I told myself, My CC bill wasnt due 'til Nov. 17 so I'll just pay it tomorrow Sat. Nov. 17th.

The next day I went online and paid $100.00 into my Capital One Credit card.

Today when I logged in my account online I was being charged $29.00 fee for not paying my bill online when I paid it on the due date online (My paper statement said its due No. 19th). WTF?!? :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Has anyone had the same experience? And would this affect your credit history report?!?

The thing I dont get it this: Online it said it was due Nov. 17th and on my paper statement I get thru the mail it said the 19th. :roll:

~Kisses.

HTG

Steve-Oh
11-24-2007, 01:33 AM
Oh GOD!
Another reason to hate Crapital One.
I also heard that if you are late on a payment, they'll rip your testicles off and pull them out your anus!!!!
:jawdrop

Night Rider
11-24-2007, 01:34 AM
Two of my mates have had problems with Capital One. They're scam artists plus their APR is one of the highest. [at least in UK anyway]

They're bad news.

Hara_Juku Tgirl
11-24-2007, 01:39 AM
This really PISSES me OFF! I tried calling all day today and all I get was that fucking automated voice machine with no "live" customer service support! GRRRRR :twisted:

So I just sent them an email contesting that fee they are trying to charge me for. :roll:

~Kisses.

HTG

rodinuk
11-24-2007, 02:03 AM
You may be able to set up some sort of automatic payment to pay the minimum off the card from your bank account every month to help avoid those pesky penalty charges.

dan_drade
11-24-2007, 02:04 AM
Well the good news is that they will give you your money back if you bitch enough about it. The bad news is that all comapnies that loan money have pretty much the same scam. Even though it was their fault that the website was down for whatever, in their opinion it is still your fault that you did not make the payment. It's kind of like a football coach cutting off the legs of his best running back and then yelling at him for not making the touchdown LOL. OK, maybe that was a stupid analogy, but I thought it was funny hahahaha.
Anyway, once you finally get someone on the phone and they tell you about a dozen times that you still should have made the payment. They will finally give you your 29.00 back.

Quinn
11-24-2007, 02:05 AM
Try Wachovia for banking and CCs. I use them for an all my business banking, etc. They really do go the extra mile.

-Quinn

Hara_Juku Tgirl
11-24-2007, 02:06 AM
Oh I can assure you that I will BITCH at them til they give me back that $29.00 they are trying to scam me with Dan_drade. LOL ;)

This is about principles. I felt like being taken and charged irresponsibly.

~Kisses.

HTG

dan_drade
11-24-2007, 02:24 AM
Oh I can assure you that I will BITCH at them til they give me back that $29.00 they are trying to scam me with Dan_drade. LOL ;)

This is about principles. I felt like being taken and charged irresponsibly.

~Kisses.

HTG

Don't you just love the way that banks work!!! I think they do this because they figure that the majority of people won't notice and/or not want to take the time to call and wait on hold forever and then talk to a moron that will yammer away for another 20 minutes. It's just easier to submit and let them have the money.

Hara_Juku Tgirl
11-24-2007, 02:47 AM
Try Wachovia for banking and CCs. I use them for an all my business banking, etc. They really do go the extra mile.

-Quinn

I'll have to look into that Quinn. Not sure tho if they got Wachovia out here in LA.

~Kisses.

HTG

Willie Escalade
11-24-2007, 02:54 AM
I'll have to look into that Quinn. Not sure tho if they got Wachovia out here in LA.

~Kisses.

HTG
They do; there's a couple near my house here in the South Bay area. I'm pretty sure there's one downtown if you're willing to make the drive.

I'm with B of A; so far, no problems. :D

thx1138
11-24-2007, 02:54 AM
$29.00? you can earn that back in about 1 minute or less.

BrendaQG
11-24-2007, 02:56 AM
I don't think this will effect your credit report. So I am told credit card companies only report payments that are 15 ( then 30, 60 or more) days late. Most don't even bother with 15. The good ones even give you 7 days of grace before they will hit you with a late charge.

If you really want to fix their wagon. Just wait until your credit is a bit better and get a better card. Transfere that balance and tell capital one to fuck off. Problem solved.

Hara_Juku Tgirl
11-24-2007, 03:00 AM
$29.00? you can earn that back in about 1 minute or less.

I can but WHY should I try to EARN something that I already have?!?

LOL You're not making any sense.

~Kisses.

HTG

Hara_Juku Tgirl
11-24-2007, 03:03 AM
I don't think this will effect your credit report. So I am told credit card companies only report payments that are 15 ( then 30, 60 or more) days late. Most don't even bother with 15. The good ones even give you 7 days of grace before they will hit you with a late charge.

If you really want to fix their wagon. Just wait until your credit is a bit better and get a better card. Transfere that balance and tell capital one to fuck off. Problem solved.

I hope NOT! I'm still going to try and get what I deserve..A credit back on that ridiculous charge they are trying to pull on me. I agree with you tho BrendaQG. I just might have to do that. I got an offer from Washington Mutual just a few days ago. Has anyone had any good or bad experience with Washington Mutual credit cards?

~Kisses.

HTG

thx1138
11-24-2007, 03:29 AM
Isn't there a book out titled: "Don't sweat over the small stuff."? Sounds like good advice to me.

Quinn
11-24-2007, 03:34 AM
Isn't there a book out titled: "Don't sweat over the small stuff."? Sounds like good advice to me.

Unfortunately one's credit rating can't really be counted as being among "the small stuff." Brenda is probably right about it not showing up on Hara's credit, but it's not something to be taken for granted either way.

-Quinn

alphanumeric
11-24-2007, 03:50 AM
do what I did, declare bankruptcy!

that'll show em!

CORVETTEDUDE
11-24-2007, 04:48 AM
Hara, Brenda and Quinn have both made good points and suggestions. I look at peoples credit historys on a daily basis. Lates are reported, in large part, 30, 60 and 90 days late. As stated, many financial institutions have a grace period of 5 to 15 days, but not all. I can tell you, C/C companies like Capitol One, Chase, Discover, etc. don't want you to pay on time...they don't make any money if you do. Your late payments, even within the grace period, WILL result in them raising your interest rate. Therefore, the fight is not just over the $29.00, but a potential for a higher rate, as well. You need to hassle them like they hassle you. Make it a vendetta. As long as your payments are on time, call them daily, like a bad dream, bitching about your interest charges. They will lower them but, miss a payment....To the Moon, Alice!!! They are very schrewd business people and it's all about the money. They don't give a shit who you are or where you're from...it's the $$$$. I wish we could all, as a society, go back to cash only....and run these fucks literally out of existence. However, we are the dumb asses that keep their pockets lined! Guilty, as charged! :shrug

CORVETTEDUDE
11-24-2007, 04:53 AM

that'll show em!

Our laws are different here. After 2005, the BK laws, in the States, changed to where you can't absolve unsecured credit debt. The accounts are closed, the interest no longer accrues but, you still owe the Dinero. And, they can and will garnish your wages 'til the debt is paid.

hondarobot
11-24-2007, 05:02 AM
Hara, Brenda and Quinn have both made good points and suggestions. I look at peoples credit historys on a daily basis. Lates are reported, in large part, 30, 60 and 90 days late. As stated, many financial institutions have a grace period of 5 to 15 days, but not all. I can tell you, C/C companies like Capitol One, Chase, Discover, etc. don't want you to pay on time...they don't make any money if you do. Your late payments, even within the grace period, WILL result in them raising your interest rate. Therefore, the fight is not just over the $29.00, but a potential for a higher rate, as well. You need to hassle them like they hassle you. Make it a vendetta. As long as your payments are on time, call them daily, like a bad dream, bitching about your interest charges. They will lower them but, miss a payment....To the Moon, Alice!!! They are very schrewd business people and it's all about the money. They don't give a shit who you are or where you're from...it's the $$$$. I wish we could all, as a society, go back to cash only....and run these fucks literally out of existence. However, we are the dumb asses that keep their pockets lined! Guilty, as charged! :shrug

I think I'm the only person I know who has never accumulated any financial debt. Ever. I've never taken a loan, never did credit. I transfer payment into cash, keep it in a box, and spend wisely. I have two bank accounts, in case I need them, each have about $20 in there vaults right now.

Banks are not there to help you.

BrendaQG
11-24-2007, 05:16 AM
I don't know about that Honda. I have been in a difficult financial situation lately. Due in large part to my having my crack berry stolen. (I have a "phone" now but really it's like going from a full hand to a hook). The bank I have been with since 2000 has taken care of me by not only opening new accounts for me but extending me credit. This bank, earlier this year was all ready to give me a no money down mortgage for a condo. They know that it's hard to pay your bills and maintain your accounts if you don't have a roof over your head...

My point is that good banks know that the customers are why they are in business. Banks that screw their customers ultimately fail. Looks like Capital one is the second kind.

iloveshemales77
11-24-2007, 05:18 AM
Last Friday I went online to pay my bill. So I told myself, My CC bill wasnt due 'til Nov. 17 so I'll just pay it tomorrow Sat. Nov. 17th.

The thing I dont get it this: Online it said it was due Nov. 17th and on my paper statement I get thru the mail it said the 19th. :roll:

~Kisses.

HTG

At the risk of pissing you off even further Hara. I thunk the way it works is that only bank business days count. So if you paid in on a Sat. 17th it won't hit your ac. until the Monday 19th as far as the cc company is concerned. :(

marissaazts
11-24-2007, 05:33 AM
i bank w/wamu washington mutual
and have their credit and debit cards
i have never had a problem w/them except it took a act of war to get my debit card in my correct name

when my card expired they sent me a new one under my old name.... i called custserv. boom we will get you a new one ......... 3days later it comes wrong name again..
go to the branch i bank at the manager does it for me ... 3 days later wrong name still ... go back to branch again manager calls custserv. bitches them out and says its fixed ... 3 days later 3 new cards in my correct name ... i kept em all i just dident activate the extraones ... i have had no problem w/the CC from wamu

but they are slow posting deposits i get my trust check on the second of every month direct deposit and it takes them 2days to post it longer if its a weekend.....

myself and my sig other also have cap one CC's but we havent had any problems w/them as of yet

iloveshemales77
11-24-2007, 05:35 AM
This bank, earlier this year was all ready to give me a no money down mortgage for a condo. They know that it's hard to pay your bills and maintain your accounts if you don't have a roof over your head...

My point is that good banks know that the customers are why they are in business. Banks that screw their customers ultimately fail. Looks like Capital one is the second kind.

given what is happening in the markets, no money down mortgages are a thing of the past or will be soon. Grab that offer while it's still there!

joeym75ld
11-24-2007, 05:36 AM
Last Friday I went online to pay my bill. Their online website was going through a routine maintenance. So I tried calling their 800 number. And I found out that they charge extra for paying your bills thru the phone. So I told myself, My CC bill wasnt due 'til Nov. 17 so I'll just pay it tomorrow Sat. Nov. 17th.

Today when I logged in my account online I was being charged $29.00 fee for not paying my bill online when I paid it on the due date online (My paper statement said its due No. 19th). WTF?!? :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Has anyone had the same experience? And would this affect your credit history report?!?

~Kisses.

HTG
No problems. Call them up and complain. They'll deduct the fee. If they don't, threaten to cancel the card, and you'll see how quick they cancel out the fee. Also, no it wouldn't show as a late payment until probably another 15 or 30 days past due.

Quinn
11-24-2007, 05:36 AM

that'll show em!

Our laws are different here. After 2005, the BK laws, in the States, changed to where you can't absolve unsecured credit debt. The accounts are closed, the interest no longer accrues but, you still owe the Dinero. And, they can and will garnish your wages 'til the debt is paid.

Spot on... Declaring bankruptcy is no longer a get out of jail free card like it used to be. Now, if you owe, you are going to have to pay, one way or the other.

-Quinn

bezane
11-24-2007, 05:37 AM
Hara....some advice from someone who has been to hell and back and back again and now rest in heaven when it comes to credit and credit cards.

First of all, the payments do need to be made from "banking days" M-F excluding holidays. Most cards, just about all for that matter will only allow same day payments for an additional fee, or charge you a "late fee" but make sure you check that by being "late" they didn't raise your rate to 29% as they can by law. And fuck Washington Mutual along with the rest of them. They make promises but aside from free online checking they suck too. Capital One on the other hand has reasonable customer service. Approach them with a clear and honest story and the promise to pay your bills on time. Assure them that you feel you made the payment "on time in good faith." That is a good line to use.

In the future if you want to do business with a class company use American Express. Take both the green and the blue cards. Once you have the cards register online. They take payments 24/7 online for zero charge.

Remember that even if you're super hot, and from what I see you are, LOL, the credit card companies hold all the cards. After fighting the system for years I now have an 800 credit score and no credit card with more than 8% finance. You don't need money to get there. I promise. But when you feel like you want to smack the customer service bitch in the mouth just bite your pretty little tongue. Make them want to help you and only call M-F because supervisors are working and can help you. After you get what you want hang up the phone and curse them out.

Good luck. Credit is power. Kind of like what's in your pants.

CORVETTEDUDE
11-24-2007, 05:53 AM
How could she earn that in a minute? Are there a lot of people lining up to visit the missing link? ha $29 is life changing money to Hara I am sure, so some friendly advise! To get your $29 back, and keep food on your table, deal with the credit card company with a nice attitude and personality. It will go a long way. If you are intelligent, tactful and well spoken, you will get what you need. When you are a self centered, demanding, narcassistic loser who does not listen and talk with sound logic, you willl get nowhere.

You really are a fuck wad, aren't you. Where are you at, I'm gonna ram a 16" gun up your ass.

johnie
11-24-2007, 08:44 AM
When dealing with credit card companies you must realize that you are swimmig with sharks.

If you call and ask them to remove the fee they will. Generally all of these banks allow a certain number of fee removals within a given time perioed..ie: they will remove two fees charged within a 6 month period.

You will not get reported to the credit bureaus as delinquent until the payment is 30 days late.

And when you call them, tell them you want your interest lowered a few points...see what they say. You probably will get it lowered atleast 2-3 points for atleast a few months.

Hara_Juku Tgirl
11-24-2007, 09:08 AM

Im not sweating it. But it does put anyone in a bad mood when banks try to swing a fast one on you. I'm actually more concerned that this doesnt show on my credit report. That's all! ;)

LOL

These totally make sense to me! Thanks CORVETTEDUDE. :P

~Kisses.

HTG

Hara_Juku Tgirl
11-24-2007, 09:23 AM
At the risk of pissing you off even further Hara. I thunk the way it works is that only bank business days count. So if you paid in on a Sat. 17th it won't hit your ac. until the Monday 19th as far as the cc company is concerned. :(

Well then technically my due date on my mailed CC bill/statement was due on the 19th Monday. I shouldn't have been charged then cos I paid them on the 17th Saturday which was posted on the 19th Monday, No?

~Kisses.

HTG

PatrickFromNYC
11-24-2007, 09:49 AM
Hara....some advice from someone who has been to hell and back and back again and now rest in heaven when it comes to credit and credit cards.

First of all, the payments do need to be made from "banking days" M-F excluding holidays. Most cards, just about all for that matter will only allow same day payments for an additional fee, or charge you a "late fee" but make sure you check that by being "late" they didn't raise your rate to 29% as they can by law. And fuck Washington Mutual along with the rest of them. They make promises but aside from free online checking they suck too. Capital One on the other hand has reasonable customer service. Approach them with a clear and honest story and the promise to pay your bills on time. Assure them that you feel you made the payment "on time in good faith." That is a good line to use.

In the future if you want to do business with a class company use American Express. Take both the green and the blue cards. Once you have the cards register online. They take payments 24/7 online for zero charge.

Remember that even if you're super hot, and from what I see you are, LOL, the credit card companies hold all the cards. After fighting the system for years I now have an 800 credit score and no credit card with more than 8% finance. You don't need money to get there. I promise. But when you feel like you want to smack the customer service bitch in the mouth just bite your pretty little tongue. Make them want to help you and only call M-F because supervisors are working and can help you. After you get what you want hang up the phone and curse them out.

Last year I paid off every credit card I had and now I use AMEX exclusively. At the end of every month after I pay AMEX the only people I owe money to are the banks who hold my mortgages...Its a good feeling :D

BXCanada
11-24-2007, 10:04 AM
i have a capital one mastercard and last friday i paid 100.00 on my card and just yesterday i checked my card on the phone and it siad i was over my limit by a 1.00. some how in the instance that my payment whent through they must have charged my card almost 100.00 in chrages not sure why though.

i work every damn day so i never have time to call them i called when i had a free minute at work to check my balance wich is when i found this out.

Hara_Juku Tgirl
11-24-2007, 10:09 AM

LOL Good sound advice! Thank you bezane. :P

~Kisses.

HTG

sucka4chix
11-24-2007, 01:21 PM
The people suggesting other companies are ignorant--- ANYBODY in the credit game is a swindler and a con artist. Loan sharks aren't as underhanded as banks! The things they are allowed to do should be illegal! Your best bet is to get rid of them (credit cards) all together, but if that's not possible, it takes alot of diligence to stay on top of them. THEY ARE OUT TO FUCK YOU. THEY CALL PEOPLE WHO PAY ON TIME DEADBEATS--- BECAUSE THEY DON'T MAKE MONEY OFF OF THEM. Personally I've been fucked just about every way I can think of by CC companies---mystery charges, late fees because of a 20 day grace period, double overlimit fees because the card was still over the limit 5 days after interest caused the overage...blah blah blah. It's all bullshit. American Express is bullshit too. It's one of the few companies I plan on blowing up before I die. The people who say they haven't had any problems are the people who have been fortunate enough to avoid a late or overlimit fee. Once you get a couple of those ( you have to get more than one, because they'll remove the 1st one as a courtesy, fooling you into thinking they're nice folk), you'll see the asshole come out of them. There job is to make money off of you!Credit Card companies are like Vegas... they're designed for you to lose money. If you ever read your agreement, you probably would never agree to it! And, if you do agree, soon they'll send you a change to your agreement, that you "agree" to by continuing to use your card.
Can't stress this enough---once you become able, FUCK CREDIT CARDS![/b]

thx1138
11-24-2007, 01:28 PM
@Patrick : congratulations, you've found the only legal way to keep the banks off you're back.

thx1138
11-24-2007, 01:30 PM
sucka4chilks: you got the right idea to stay out of penury.

thx1138
11-24-2007, 01:35 PM
re: $29.00/ minute....go read Eros for the "donations" the girls are asking for. Does anyone really believe the average client can last 60 minutes? What about the tip? Maybe "the girls" really can be convinced to accept "rosas" instead of US currency or credit cards. LOL

thx1138
11-24-2007, 01:38 PM
Banks Gone Wild
November 23, 2007
by Paul Krugman
New York Times

“What were they smoking?” asks the cover of the current issue of Fortune magazine. Underneath the headline are photos of recently deposed Wall Street titans, captioned with the staggering sums they managed to lose.

The answer, of course, is that they were high on the usual drug — greed. And they were encouraged to make socially destructive decisions by a system of executive compensation that should have been reformed after the Enron and WorldCom scandals, but wasn’t.

In a direct sense, the carnage on Wall Street is all about the great housing slump.

This slump was both predictable and predicted. “These days,” I wrote in August 2005, “Americans make a living selling each other houses, paid for with money borrowed from the Chinese. Somehow, that doesn’t seem like a sustainable lifestyle.” It wasn’t.

But even as the danger signs multiplied, Wall Street piled into bonds backed by dubious home mortgages. Most of the bad investments now shaking the financial world seem to have been made in the final frenzy of the housing bubble, or even after the bubble began to deflate.

In fact, according to Fortune, Merrill Lynch made its biggest purchases of bad debt in the first half of this year — after the subprime crisis had already become public knowledge.

Now the bill is coming due, and almost everyone — that is, almost everyone except the people responsible — is having to pay.

The losses suffered by shareholders in Merrill, Citigroup, Bear Stearns and so on are the least of it. Far more important in human terms are the hundreds of thousands if not millions of American families lured into mortgage deals they didn’t understand, who now face sharp increases in their payments — and, in many cases, the loss of their houses — as their interest rates reset.

And then there’s the collateral damage to the economy.

You still hear occasional claims that the subprime fiasco is no big deal. Even though the numbers keep getting bigger — some observers are now talking about $400 billion in losses — these losses are small compared with the total value of financial assets.

But bad housing investments are crippling financial institutions that play a crucial role in providing credit, by wiping out much of their capital. In a recent report, Goldman Sachs suggested that housing-related losses could force banks and other players to cut lending by as much as $2 trillion — enough to trigger a nasty recession, if it happens quickly.

Beyond that, there’s a pervasive loss of trust, which is like sand thrown in the gears of the financial system. The crisis of confidence is plainly visible in the market data: there’s an almost unprecedented spread between the very low interest rates investors are willing to accept on U.S. government debt — which is still considered safe — and the much higher interest rates at which banks are willing to lend to each other.

How did things go so wrong?

Part of the answer is that people who should have been alert to the dangers, and taken precautionary measures, instead blithely assured Americans that everything was fine, and even encouraged them to take out risky mortgages. Yes, Alan Greenspan, that means you.

But another part of the answer lies in what hasn’t happened to the men on that Fortune cover — namely, they haven’t been forced to give back any of the huge paychecks they received before the folly of their decisions became apparent.

Around 25 years ago, American business — and the American political system — bought into the idea that greed is good. Executives are lavishly rewarded if the companies they run seem successful: last year the chief executives of Merrill and Citigroup were paid $48 million and $25.6 million, respectively.

But if the success turns out to have been an illusion — well, they still get to keep the money. Heads they win, tails we lose.

Not only is this grossly unfair, it encourages bad risk-taking, and sometimes fraud. If an executive can create the appearance of success, even for a couple of years, he will walk away immensely wealthy. Meanwhile, the subsequent revelation that appearances were deceiving is someone else’s problem.

If all this sounds familiar, it should. The huge rewards executives receive if they can fake success are what led to the great corporate scandals of a few years back. There’s no indication that any laws were broken this time — but the public’s trust was nonetheless betrayed, once again.

The point is that the subprime crisis and the credit crunch are, in an important sense, the result of our failure to effectively reform corporate governance after the last set of scandals.

John Edwards recently came out with a corporate reform plan, but it didn’t receive a lot of attention. Corporate governance still isn’t regarded as a major political issue. But it should be.

Paul Krugman is Professor of Economics at Princeton University and a regular New York Times columnist. His most recent book is The Conscience of a Liberal.

Hara_Juku Tgirl
11-24-2007, 02:12 PM

~Kisses.

HTG
No problems. Call them up and complain. They'll deduct the fee. If they don't, threaten to cancel the card, and you'll see how quick they cancel out the fee. Also, no it wouldn't show as a late payment until probably another 15 or 30 days past due.

Thanks for your input joeym75ld. Every input counts! ;)

Now If I could just get a live person at Capital One to talk to. Grrrr.. :evil:

LOL

~Kisses.

HTG

Quinn
11-24-2007, 04:57 PM
The people suggesting other companies are ignorant.

I think you should familiarize yourself with the topic at hand before making a comment like this. The fact is that the range of behavior exhibited by credit card vendors varies greatly (rates charged, late fees, grace periods, etc.). Moreover, different banks will – depending upon how much business you do with them (bank accounts, mortgages, etc.) – show substantial discretion in the application of penalties because they don't want to risk the totality of your business by nickel-and-diming you on your credit cards.

-Quinn

iloveshemales77
11-24-2007, 05:30 PM

Well then technically my due date on my mailed CC bill/statement was due on the 19th Monday. I shouldn't have been charged then cos I paid them on the 17th Saturday which was posted on the 19th Monday, No?

~Kisses.

HTG

Yea sure, it still doesn't explain why they gave you two deadlines. If they have given you the 19th as a due date then you're home and clear I think. I usually pay my bills online at the weekend. My bank quite happily debits my ac immediately e.g. on a Saturday. Incoming payments aren't credited until two bank working days later however. It's how the make money.
Given what is happening in the capital markets, all banks are really clamping down on credit. In the UK it is getting serious. Even mishaps such as yours are being flagged as arrears and reported. I know people with a couple of hiccups such as yours but otherwise impeccable credit histories getting turned down for hire purchases. Right now as a consumer you need to be extra vigilant in your cash management.

TomSelis
11-24-2007, 08:13 PM
Why not transfer your balance over to a more reputable company? Once you do that, close your account with Capital One. You'd probably get a lower interest rate too.

I agree with choosing Wachovia/Bank of America, much better with that kind of stuff.

sucka4chix
11-25-2007, 04:13 PM
The people suggesting other companies are ignorant.

I think you should familiarize yourself with the topic at hand before making a comment like this. The fact is that the range of behavior exhibited by credit card vendors varies greatly (rates charged, late fees, grace periods, etc.). Moreover, different banks will – depending upon how much business you do with them (bank accounts, mortgages, etc.) – show substantial discretion in the application of penalties because they don't want to risk the totality of your business by nickel-and-diming you on your credit cards.

-Quinn
I am pretty familiar. I live in a state with alot of credit card call centers and have lots of friends working for those companies. I also have a friend who makes alot of money in collections, has worked for several companies in several states. Sure if you're giving a bank your money in other ways, MOST won't jeorpardize that to nickel and dime you on a credit card, but that has nothing to do with what I said.
Bottom line is a bank is a business, for the most part a greedy business. They don't make money unless you give it to them. Then they invest it, make x amount on it and give you 5% of x!
Credit card companies get sued almost YEARLY and pay out millions in law suits, but they don't care because they make so much money swindling the masses. Now if you have Jed Clampitt money maybe it could be different, but I don't think most people do.

sucka4chix
11-25-2007, 04:16 PM
Why not transfer your balance over to a more reputable company? Once you do that, close your account with Capital One. You'd probably get a lower interest rate too.

I agree with choosing Wachovia/Bank of America, much better with that kind of stuff.
Wachovia started here--- we call it "Walk-all-ova-ya"

TomSelis
11-25-2007, 05:17 PM
I understand where you're coming from.

The fact still remains, you need good credit to purchase things these days, i.e. a car, a house, etc. Unless you have large sums of money laying around, you need it.

sucka4chix
11-25-2007, 05:50 PM
I understand where you're coming from.

The fact still remains, you need good credit to purchase things these days, i.e. a car, a house, etc. Unless you have large sums of money laying around, you need it.
Yep, it's sad! There using credit history for everything these days---some jobs even! They're making decisions about your character based on your credit. I'm just sooooo fed up with the credit game. I've never bought a new car. Trying to get to a cash only basis in my life. A house is the big thing, but even that could be done if I'd put money into a house fund instead of my tranny fun account,lol. Just need determination and lenders have me so mad I'm pretty determined.

Hara_Juku Tgirl
11-28-2007, 06:59 AM
UPDATE:

After a few days, Capital One emailed me saying they've credited back my account to which I am very pleased about. :P

~Kisses.

HTG

kink234
11-28-2007, 07:14 AM
I know someone who paided Capital One in full and they said he didn't paid them. Capital One and everything they support is complete trash.

polarstar
11-28-2007, 08:00 AM
Long ago I had similar issues with them. I canceled all of my Crap-ital One cards.

Every other card issuer will send you an email reminder a few days or a week before your card is due. They won't and I am sure it is because they LOVE IT when you are late, so they can jack you for the $29.

Fuck those bastards. There are so many other credit card companies to deal with.

jenny_landis
11-28-2007, 09:18 AM
i have never had capital one but i have chase and they don't remind me to pay my bill either AND one time i was late and they charged me a $39.00 late fee (not $29). but all it took is one phone call and they waived it, so I would call capital one first and ask them politely to waive it and i am sure they will. one company that i will say that is the worst is paypal. now those guys are scammers.

BeardedOne
12-01-2007, 11:36 PM
Just catching up on this.

Heh @ "Crapital One" :lol:

Capital One is the former credit arm of Sovereign and is one of the most incompetent credit providers I have ever had the displeasure to deal with. If you ever have to change your address with them, do it in writing, via Certified Mail/Return Receipt, and be sure to keep an eye on them after doing so. One of my consulting clients did just that and they still misdirected statements, correspondence, etc. for months afterwards until he finally just cancelled the account (And then they maintained the account as being open on the credit files for some months following that).

Only two other credit card providers have etched their names so indellibly upon my synapses: First Premier and Chase.

First Premier is the penultimate predatory lender. You know that your credit score is in the sewer when you start getting pre-screened offers from these motherfuckers. Their big selling point is that they will give a card to anyone that "meets their qualifications" (Read: Is stoopid enough to agree to their terms) and that there is no collateral deposit required. --> To the uninitiated: When credit cards became such an important financial tool in modern times, many people could not qualify to get them due to poor credit, short credit history, short-term housing or employment history, etc. To compensate for this, some banks allowed collateralized credit, wherein you would deposit a set amount into a restricted savings account, on which you'd gather interest, and they would issue a card with that amount as a credit limit. If, for any reason, you defaulted on the account, the bank would simply seize the savings account to pay the debt. Good customers, who paid on time and showed a good history, would have the savings account (With interest) released and the card would become a true credit card in all respects. <-- Well, some people couldn't gather the necessary collateral deposit (Usually a minimum of $250-500), so the idea of a card with no deposit required appealed to them.

This is where the Disclosure Statement comes into play. By law, every credit offer must come with a disclosure statement that spells out, in simple terms, all costs related to the credit offer. These would include annual fees, interest rates, sundry charges (Late fees, over limit fees, returned check charges, etc.), and so forth.

Having helped a friend slug it out with First Premier a few years ago, I was already hip to their scam when my own FICO score took a nose dive due to extreme circumstances last year. It is as a result of the latter that I have, at hand, a current First Premier Disclosure Statement:

Account Setup Fee: $29
Program Fee: $95
Annual Fee: $48
Monthly Servicing Fee* (Billed @ $7 per month): $84

If you want your card sent via "Express Delivery", they will send it via Priority Mail (A cost of $4.60) at a charge of $25.00

The typical starter card has a $250 credit limit. The above charges are assessed and billed on your first statement so, before you even receive the card, you are in debt to the tune of $179! :shock: These are non-refundable fees and if you don't pay the bill, they put a bruise on your credit file.

If anyone needs to know any info about the Better Business Bureau of Siouxland, The Comptroller of the Treasury, The South Dakota Department of Regulation/Divison of Banking, or any other nemisis of First Premier, let me know.

* The Monthly Servicing Fee (Once known as the Account Participation Fee) is an ongoing charge, in addition to the annual fee of $48, that continues for the life of the account. Originally, it was charged as a Cash Advance (Which is subject to different interest rules than regular purchases) and automatically accrued a minimum Finance Charge of $0.50 each month on top of the usurious fee. A recent class action suit changed the dynamics of this fee (But only slightly) to drop the $0.50 Finance Charge (But the fee increased by $1.00).

Now comes Chase. JPMorgan/Chase Manhattan. Bastards! :evil:

Chase absorbed Bank One Columbus. Which absorbed FirstUSA. They sucked up GE Capital which, down the line gathered Monogram of Cincinatti under their wing.

Following all of this?

Let me tell you a couple of tales of Chase. :x

One of my Chase accounts was tied to an automatic payment for one of the dotcom servers. Small account, small payment, no biggie. I rarely keep a balance on the account, as it is so small. I sent a payment, via Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) to pay the bill. Click, sent, done, paid. The next morning, I get a frantic email from one of the techs telling me that a server is down. Seems that Chase has a policy (You can get it in writing if you ask for it specifically) of freezing a credit account for as much as twenty days after a full payment has been made "...to be sure the money is there". Like, DU-UH!, EFT is instantaneous! :x It wasn't until I had conference-called my own bank to verify that the funds had left the account the previous day that Chase authorized the charge.

Chapter Two:

Back in June, I paid off my one program card, the one that gets me points and perks. :D Sterling history, never late, never over-limit, all is good. The payoff is over $2200, sent by check and received by Chase on Thursday. On Saturday morning, at 4:00 AM (Because my schedule sux big donkey dix), I check the account and see that I have over $2k available on the card. I drive upstate, get an oil change, buy some groceries, etc. At 4:00 PM, I check into one of my regular haunts and the desk clerk tells me "Card declined" (Note: I recently discovered that the girls at the desk call me "Mr. Chase" because I always use the Chase card to pay my bill). Fortunately, I have some weight there, and I got into the room on a bill-me-later basis and go online to discover that, in the twelve hours between my last ping and my check-in time, Chase has chosen to scrag almost $2k off my available credit, without notice. Calls to their CS center do nothing beyond crank up my blood pressure. Since that time I have been having to send two to four payments a month to the account in order to keep it useful. I might as well be charging up a debit card.

So, yah...

CHASE SUCKS!

alphanumeric
12-01-2007, 11:48 PM
thats why I use a prepaid mastercard...

BeardedOne
12-02-2007, 12:17 AM

Ah, but that's not a 'credit card' then, izzit?

jimbo00us
12-02-2007, 05:03 AM
A few years ago before I cancelled mine, I paid the bill on through the mail. Next month, my bill was not paid and interest accrued. They had cashed my check and credited the wrong account. Got it straightened out but still had to pay the interest. They would not take that off my bill

beatmaker
12-02-2007, 02:10 PM
Capital One is the premier "subprime lender" of the credit card industry. Informerical guru Kevin Trudeau (who may or may not be a scammer himself) has a new book called "Debt Cures" where he goes into detail about just how corrupt these credit card companies are and their underhanded tactics to pad their balance sheet. He also touches on how the industry's political influence, has allowed them to operate in this manner without being taken to task by the federal government for fraud and predatory banking practices on a regular basis. Our current president George Bush, actually appointed a CEO of one of these "subprime" credit card companies, as the Director of the Department of Ethics, which is the Federal government's watchdog agency for corporate malfeasance. This was after that same credit card company was fined $500 million dollars for defrauding their customers, while he was the acting CEO. You can't make this stuff up people!

Anyway, I had about 3 of these cards, after I trashed my credit rating in college (why do they issue credit cards to unemployed 18 year olds?). They helped me rebuild my credit, but they know most people get these cards for that reason, so they have you by the cajones. The mere threat of reporting a late payment to the credit bureaus, allow them to get away with this B.S. They got me for like 2 years with it. I understand the high interest rates (but I do think they pad the interest rate by a few percentage points and take their money off the top), because credit portfolios are sold on a secondary market to investors for cash flow and the lower the credit score, the higher the risk, resulting in a higher interest rate on money borrowed. My main problem is the avalanche of fees and charges, as well as the slick shyt they did to Haru Jaku Tgirl to squeeze a late fee out of her. Those late fees add billions of unexpected revenue to the bottomline of these banks and card issuers.

The only difference between Capital One and their ilk and the neighborhood loan shark working out of the local bar or pool hall, is that one sits in a plush office and wears Brooks Brothers suits and is a member of a country club and the other is considered an uneducated thug who preys on his community. Same double standard with the alcohol and tobacco companies vs. the marijuana trafficker. To me they all feed people's vices, just one has the illusion of being moral based on people's not God's laws. Governmental hypocrisy at it's apex!

Hara_Juku Tgirl
12-30-2007, 12:12 AM

Ah, but that's not a 'credit card' then, izzit?

And definitely NOT a way to establish good credit. LOL ;)

~Kisses.

HTG