PDA

View Full Version : The Mist

Quinn
11-23-2007, 01:25 AM
I just came back from seeing it. For those of you who read the original story and liked it, I think it's definitely worth a viewing. Don't expect the same ending though.

-Quinn

alphanumeric
11-23-2007, 01:26 AM
I'm probably going to see it this wekend during a matinee

(I am a cheap basdard afterall!)

hondarobot
11-23-2007, 04:43 AM
I just made plans to go see it this Saturday. I loved the novella, I'd put it as my second favorite Stephen King story, after The Stand. I'm not a huge King fan, but when he's been on, he's on.

I'm actually glad to hear they changed the ending, because even though the original was great, if a new one is equally satisfying I'm even more eager to see the movie.

Quinn
11-23-2007, 05:09 AM
You'll like it, Honda. The ending is tremedously ballsy.

-Quinn

hondarobot
11-25-2007, 02:45 AM
That was awesome. What else can a guy say?

Great movie.

KiraHarden
11-25-2007, 02:53 AM
I read The Mist yrs ago, I would like to see it. My fav book from King is The Stand... then maybe the TommyKnockers

alpha2117
11-25-2007, 03:22 AM
It's completly and utterly awful.

The new ending ruins the whole thing. Rather than Kings original open ended ending it feeds you a deliberatly downbeat supposed shock ending that utterly destroys the film

I'm posting a spoiler below for those who want to know what I mean. It's in a non obtrusive color but if you highlight it you'll see the spoilers.

In the novel a few character escape into the Mist in a vehichle which is rapidly running out of gas not knowing if their is any type of chance of escape ... in the film they tack on that it runs out of gas, they are surrounded by Mist and the main character then shoots the others rather than have them suffer a horrible death.... he is then rescued and starts screaming and carrying on ... it's supposed to be shocking and it is ... shockingly bad.

One of the worst king film adaptations ever which is a shame because the first 3/4 is really good.

KiraHarden
11-25-2007, 03:24 AM

The new ending ruins the whole thing. Rather than Kings original open ended ending it feeds you a deliberatly downbeat supposed shock ending that utterly destroys the film

I'm posting a spoiler below for those who want to know what I mean
I think I'm going to reread the book

In the novel a few character escape into the Mist in a vehichle which is rapidly running out of gas not knowing if their is any type of chance of escape ... in the film they tack on that it runs out of gas, they are surrounded by Mist and the main character then shoots the others rather than have them suffer a horrible death.... he is then rescued and starts screaming and carrying on ... it's supposed to be shocking and it is ... shockingly bad.

One of the worst king film adaptations ever which is a shame because the first 3/4 is really good.

KiraHarden
11-25-2007, 03:25 AM

Darn! Dbl Post, I think I'm going to reread the short story

suckseed
11-25-2007, 03:30 AM
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/mist/trailers.php
Guys! Why'd you do that?

alpha2117
11-25-2007, 03:37 AM
Guys! Why'd you do that?

Hey I posted in white ... you can only see it if you highlight the writing.

Frankly it's unbelievably awful and anyone who thinks it's good and ballsy and suprising obviously hasn't watched too many horror films.

hondarobot
11-25-2007, 03:39 AM
Guys! Why'd you do that?

What are you doing in this thread?

You should ask Vicki Richter to go see the movie with you, ya know, as friends. While you're out getting popcorn, I'll molest her.

suckseed
11-25-2007, 03:40 AM
Guys! Why'd you do that?

Frankly it's unbelievably awful and anyone who thinks it's good and ballsy and suprising obviously hasn't watched too many horror films.
Yes but Kira finished the job and now between the two of you the ending is spoiled. It's just a little cinematic entertainment. Nothing to get outraged about, yes?

alpha2117
11-25-2007, 03:45 AM
Guys! Why'd you do that?

Yes but Kira finished the job and now between the two of you the ending is spoiled. It's just a little cinematic entertainment. Nothing to get outraged about, yes?

Have you seen it?

I watched it and because I watched to the end I cant get my f'n money back. It's as awful an ending as I've ever been forced to suffer through. The original had this wonderful feeling of dread but still the glimmer of possible hope - this is just a godawful abomination which rips off other films for supposed shock value but just destroys the film.

Quinn
11-25-2007, 03:54 AM
Guys! Why'd you do that?

Since this was obviously a passive-aggressive reference to my own post, allow me to respond with Steven King’s own words regarding the new ending:

“Frank wrote a new ending that I loved. It is the most shocking ending ever and there should be a law passed stating that anybody who reveals the last 5 minutes of this film should be hung from their neck until dead.”

-Steven King

http://horrorsociety.com/2007/11/13/stephen-king-loves-the-mist/

I guess Steven doesn't know anything about horror films and certainly hasn't "watched too many." You are clearly better suited to critique any adaptation of his work than he is. Congrats on ruining the ending for people and being a whiney tool in the process.

-Quinn

suckseed
11-25-2007, 04:04 AM
rottentomatoes.com, a website which gives movies ratings based on the total number of poitive and negative reviews it gets, is currently giving The Mist a 69% approval rating.

alex_c
11-25-2007, 04:22 AM
Just "SAW" it, it was good, would have been really good if you could have seen the creatures allot better. but the ending was superb.

*off to the book store*

suckseed
11-25-2007, 04:23 AM
Guys! Why'd you do that?

What are you doing in this thread?

You should ask Vicki Richter to go see the movie with you, ya know, as friends. While you're out getting popcorn, I'll molest her.

HA members - there is actually a pretty good chance that Hondarobot is certifiably mentally imbalanced. This is not the typical flame war, this may be a reality. I don't have enough expertise in the mental health sciences to know. I've been trying to apply logic and reason to get him to realize that his actions have consequences, but I see no remorse on his part at all. This is only the latest of his 'jokes' about molestation. I'm not at all eager to continue communicating with him. What would you suggest?

Night Rider
11-25-2007, 04:28 AM
Let him ramble on suckseed, he's just making a fool out of himself. He's definately mentally challenged in some way or another, so it's pointless arguing with him. Maybe if he just bought a wig he'd be a lot happier!

suckseed
11-25-2007, 04:31 AM
Honda - my answers to last night's questions can be found here. (http://www.hungangels.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=27423&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=170)

hondarobot
11-25-2007, 04:54 AM
I thought this was a thread about "The Mist"? Oh, right, the whole "I'm a crazy troll" thing. Please continue with that, it bumps the thread views.

I thought the ending of the movie was awesome, I agree with it 100%. Possibly one of the best endings I've ever seen in a major release, US film. It was great.

suckseed
11-25-2007, 04:58 AM
I thought this was a thread about "The Mist"? Oh, right, the whole "I'm a crazy troll" thing. Please continue with that, it bumps the thread views.

I thought the ending of the movie was awesome, I agree with it 100%. Possibly one of the best endings I've ever seen in a major release, US film. It was great.
Whatever. You're either batshit crazy or merely a complete asshat.

Chuck
11-25-2007, 05:00 AM

I'm posting a spoiler below for those who want to know what I mean. It's in a non obtrusive color but if you highlight it you'll see the spoilers.

Thanks Alpha. Nicely done. That ending sucks eggs. Anyone who thinks that's some great surprise ending has never seen episodes of the original Twilight Zone. I think they had about 5 episodes over the years that ended like that.

hondarobot
11-25-2007, 05:13 AM
I'm hoping that the DVD will have both endings. It should IMO.

The ending of the novella is in the movie, but the movie goes farther. I'm not going to reveal anything else. It's good, it works very well.

If a person just enjoys old Tarzan movies, then yeah, probably wouldn't work for them.

Quinn
11-25-2007, 05:34 AM
If a person just enjoys old Tarzan movies, then yeah, probably wouldn't work for them.

LOL... No doubt. Some people need a happy cartoon ending or they get all confused and upset. If the guy who wrote the original story, Steven King, says he "loves" the new ending, that's more than enough for any true horror fan to recognize that it's congruent with the author's vision.

-Quinn

alpha2117
11-25-2007, 07:33 AM

Since this was obviously a passive-aggressive reference to my own post, allow me to respond with Steven King’s own words regarding the new ending:

“Frank wrote a new ending that I loved. It is the most shocking ending ever and there should be a law passed stating that anybody who reveals the last 5 minutes of this film should be hung from their neck until dead.”

-Steven King

http://horrorsociety.com/2007/11/13/stephen-king-loves-the-mist/

I guess Steven doesn't know anything about horror films and certainly hasn't "watched too many." You are clearly better suited to critique any adaptation of his work than he is. Congrats on ruining the ending for people and being a whiney tool in the process.

-Quinn[/quote]

Good point. Stephen King likes the new ending (or at least says he does). Which is fair enough. Unfortunatly King's attempts at bringing his work to the screen himself have ended badly because he's screwed it up Trucks became Maximum Overdrive which was well to be kind really bad.

The new ending or as I shall now call it the Romero ending is just pathetic and takes away from what could of been a very interesting adaption. Romero essentially did this ending back in his first Dead film and he did it better. The end of Mist was just shock for shocks sake and was badly acted and poorly directed. I have no problem with downbeat endings what I have a problem with is pointless endings that dont fit with the characterisation that proceeded it. The main character turns 180% from someone who refuses to give up hope and his humanity to a pathetic loser. Horror films are allowed to have downbeat endings people are fine with that but what people hate is pointless stupidity.

The movie not suprisingly has tanked badly coming in 10th on Friday with 3 mil from 2400 screens jst ahead of No Country for Old Men with 280,000 bucks less but playing on only 860 screens.

There have been more misses than hits with King movie adaptions and thanks to this ending the Mist joins the long long list of failures.