PDA

View Full Version : Flame Warring For Dummies

Chaotic
11-19-2007, 01:17 PM
I found this little gem hiding in my email. Given the recent climate here lately, I thought I owuld post this handy little reference guide, in case you
find yourself stuck between a rock and a hard place. So, without further ado, The Idiot's Guide to Flame Wars:

If you're itching for a confrontation and possess both the time and patience to debate one of the countless Internet denizens lacking any semblance of a life, feel free to consult the following handy guide to winning any Internet argument ever. Following these simple, easy steps will solidify your position in the Internet Hall of Debating Fame, which is currently just a Post-It note stuck to the bottom of a E.L. Fudge package in a Toledo, Ohio basement.

1) NEVER DEFEND YOUR OWN POINTS. Don't forget this monumental Internet argument cornerstone even if you fall down a well and get amnesia and learn you're pregnant with your mother's son's evil twin. Never, under any circumstance, attempt to defend what you've said; just attack the other person's argument over and over and over until one of you dies of old age or some legislative branch agrees to shut down the Internet forever. Defending yourself or your argument is a weak act of desperation which informs your enemy that you're completely open to attack. The grizzled Internet debater will never address the validity of their previous claims, instead opting to forge ahead and stay on the offensive despite any erroneous or outright false statements they said in the past, effectively keeping the enemy on their toes. You should view Internet arguments as a really shitty fighting game: only the utter idiots bother pressing the "block / defend" button. While your enemy cowers in a corner with their arms raised above their face to futilely protect them, real men pull off complex 408-move combos that involve transforming into a fiery phoenix of doom and releasing unrelenting waves of liquid napalm Satan clown death upon them.

2) CLAIM YOU WORK IN WHATEVER FIELD YOU'RE ARGUING ABOUT. If you find yourself discussing anime, say you're an animator who works for some Japanese company that manufactures games about nipples. If somebody begins complaining about web design, tell them you're a professional web designer who has completed projects for large conglomerates such as Coca Cola and Macromedia and the moon. If you're arguing about World War II and the political ramifications of Asia's isolation sentiment, declare you're the President of Asia. There is no subject that you, the professional, does not know about thanks to your extensive work in the field of, well, whatever you're arguing. It doesn't matter if all your firsthand knowledge of the subject derives from half an episode of "Pokemon" you overheard while cleaning your cat's litter box, the magic of the Internet allows you to have gained real-life experience of any given subject in any given industry at any given time!

EXAMPLE ARGUMENT:

FLAME: how dare u say that abortion should be legal! WTF is wrong with u?! abortion should be outlawed and if you kill a baby then the president should kill u for being a murderar becuz tiny babys are just like litle ppl and ur a muderer!!!

INCORRECT RESPONSE: Well I may just be a single mother, but I still think abortion is a woman's choice, not the government's.
CORRECT REPONSE: Well I may just be an aborted fetus, but I still think abortion is a woman's choice, not the government's.

3) IF LOSING AN ARGUMENT, FEIGN FRUSTRATION AND THEN CLAIM YOU'RE BLOCKING THE PERSON. Every person on the Internet harbors a secret fear of having their communications blocked by somebody, particularly when they're devastating that person in an argument. If you ever make a critical mistake and discover you cannot match either the intensity or intelligence of the person whom you're facing up against, simply descend into a spiral of frustration, one ending with a curt goodbye and notice that this person will never, ever, ever, ever be able to contact you again because you are putting them on your fabled ignore list of doom. Tell them in explicit, concrete terms you're absolutely fed up with their idiocy and simply cannot bear to read another word of their text, and if you somehow accidentally receive another communication from them, your head will explode and shower the surrounding tri-metro area with fragments of your brain atoms. The announcement of your impending communications blockade serves as a true trump card, one capable of not only ending the argument, but additionally declaring you the winner because there's no possible way for your opponent to get the last word, and as everybody on the Internet knows, the only way to win an argument is to get the final word!

4) AT SOME POINT IN TIME, CLAIM THE OTHER PERSON IS A NAZI. Every, and I repeat EVERY Internet argument should involve at least one comparison to either Hitler or the Nazis. This is one of the most basic requirements of an average Internet debate, and although ignorant outsiders may find it silly to compare a person arguing on the Internet with an individual responsible for the execution of millions, this action represents one of the most traditional pillars of every online debate. The earliest recorded instance of the infamous "Nazi clause" can be traced to Greg "suprsk8r" Henderson, who used Q-Link in July of 1986 to call Alex "Dr_Millions" Wilson "the Adolf Hitler of preseason NCAA fantasy league basketball" over People Connection.

Please, ladies and gentlemen: friends don't let friends argue on the Internet. But if you discover the irresistible urge to strike back against somebody who insulted your intelligence on the Internet, a medium which rewards those with insulting intelligence, please use this guide to your advantage and thoroughly decimate anybody foolhardy enough to challenge your online prowess.

Pretty useful stuff, huh? 8)

thx1138
11-19-2007, 02:17 PM
@chaotic: I can see you are a person of uncommon intelligence and sensitivity. What the hell are you doing on this site? I've discovered another tactic quite bt accident. If one is losing an arguement on one thread he/she can always resurrect an moribund one and divert attention. Of course this applies ONLY to newbies. Some "old timers" do this without any fear of retribution. "Do as I say not as I do" rules.

Chaotic
11-19-2007, 03:02 PM
@chaotic: I can see you are a person of uncommon intelligence and sensitivity. What the hell are you doing on this site?

And I can see that you are obviously a superior judge of character! 8) As for what the hell I'm doing here; dirty pictures! Hey, at least I'm honest! :shrug

I've discovered another tactic quite bt accident. If one is losing an arguement on one thread he/she can always resurrect an moribund one and divert attention. Of course this applies ONLY to newbies. Some "old timers" do this without any fear of retribution. "Do as I say not as I do" rules.

Yeah, the "old thread" thing is kind of double edged sword; particularily for noobs. Resurrecting old threads is frowned upon , whilst starting up a topic that's been done to death (use the search function, newb! :angry ) is also a no-no! It's like the great toilet seat debate with your GG girlfreind; leaving it up= bitched at! Leaving it down but getting trace elements of shake on the seat = bitched at! No real way to win that one!

As far as the double standard for "older members" goes, most forums are like trade unions that way; seniority gets one more free passes. Ah well, cest la vie! :shrug