PDA

View Full Version : London bobbies double tase man in diabetic shock

thx1138
11-17-2007, 06:00 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=494199&in_page_id=1770

alphanumeric
11-17-2007, 06:10 AM
I can do you one better

http://www.nowpublic.com/crime/vancouver-airport-taser-death-tape-released

thx1138
11-17-2007, 06:18 AM
@alphanumeric: old news. i posted that one several days ago. However it's useful to remind everyone not to act or look like a "terrorist" of something bad can happened to you from the very authorites that are supposed tp "protect" you. You'll be attacked first and questions will be asked later (if at all). I guess the only way to combat this is to sue for big bucks (either you or your familt if you fail to survive)

Tobe
11-17-2007, 10:27 AM
He should have been wearing this:

BXCanada
11-17-2007, 12:14 PM
I can do you one better

http://www.nowpublic.com/crime/vancouver-airport-taser-death-tape-released

there has never been one proven case that a taser was EVER the cause of death in any case. there has always been found to be another cause if someone has died shortly after being tasered.

in canada of all of the people that have been struck by a taser gun there have only been 16 deaths and all of wich the taser has been cleared as the cause of death. i am very sure that the same thing will be found in this case as well.

ludmilalover
11-17-2007, 01:46 PM
well i have diabetes, this is ridiculous. how can you taser a man who is passed out? i would try to get the cops fired if i was him.

BXCanada
11-17-2007, 01:49 PM
well i have diabetes, this is ridiculous. how can you taser a man who is passed out? i would try to get the cops fired if i was him.

i totaly agree, tasering someone while they are in a severe medical distress condition is unacceptable.

thx1138
11-17-2007, 04:38 PM
small consolation to the families of the 16 that died. The point is: if someone has an underlying medical condition that, in conjuction with 50,000 volts of electricity, will cause death then that individual would still have been alive if NOT tased. What should be done everyone must get a yearly check up and be certified "ok to tase". Those that can't be certified need to carry around with them a certificate: "not to be tased".

BXCanada
11-18-2007, 09:47 AM
small consolation to the families of the 16 that died. The point is: if someone has an underlying medical condition that, in conjuction with 50,000 volts of electricity, will cause death then that individual would still have been alive if NOT tased. What should be done everyone must get a yearly check up and be certified "ok to tase". Those that can't be certified need to carry around with them a certificate: "not to be tased".

so the police are supposed to ask someone everytime if they have there medical check up done? as if the cost of public healthcare is not high enough do you realise just how much that would cost.

tasers dispite what has happened have still saved more lives than not. the alternative is haveing the cops shoting people to wound them to bring down a suspect.

thx1138
11-18-2007, 11:56 AM
show me an instance where a life was saved because someone was tasered. A person is tasered only when he/she has been "disorderly" and is surrounded by cops who move in and electrify.

BXCanada
11-18-2007, 12:10 PM
show me an instance where a life was saved because someone was tasered. A person is tasered only when he/she has been "disorderly" and is surrounded by cops who move in and electrify.

the cops have two options to bring down a hostal suspect

1) use a taser or 2) wound or kill the person with a fire arm. without taser guns more suspects would have been shot with firearms and either wounded or killed.

personally i would prefer someone get hit with a taser gun that shot with a fire arm.

arnie666
11-18-2007, 01:31 PM

the cops have two options to bring down a hostal suspect

1) use a taser or 2) wound or kill the person with a fire arm. without taser guns more suspects would have been shot with firearms and either wounded or killed.

personally i would prefer someone get hit with a taser gun that shot with a fire arm.
]
Firstly the officers were not met Police they were West Yorkshire Police. Secondly there are more than two options to deal with a violent person. Depending on the risk to other officers and members of the public.

1 Talking the man down.

2 a baton strike and or physical restraint where he can be cuffed double cuffed or placed in a body belt.

3 cs spray see above.

4 In some cases Police officers must use Lethal force to protect the public . Very unfortunate for all involved.

I think Tazer may well have it's place but unfortunately some officers see it as a new toy and are itching to try it out. And like the case in Canda Officers seem to not follow in my view correct procedure before resorting to tazer. IE they are jumping for it too quickly. In my view there should be very strict guidelines when it is used and an officer will be held to account for it's use . Said taser will also need to be surrendered at station after use like cs currently is.

I have some sympathy for those officers in West Yorkshire Police because of the climate at that time that force was on a high readiness due to threat level from terrorists. We have not heard their side of it also. I hope they have a the very least however recieved further training to recognise the signs of a diabetic coma. And their taser use was investigated internally.

BXCanada
11-18-2007, 02:23 PM
Firstly the officers were not met Police they were West Yorkshire Police. Secondly there are more than two options to deal with a violent person. Depending on the risk to other officers and members of the public.

1 Talking the man down.

if a person is violent and throwing objects without do care talking him down would do little good, however officers do do that first if at all possible. what i am refering to is if talking down does not work and the person remains as a hostal suspect.

2 a baton strike and or physical restraint where he can be cuffed double cuffed or placed in a body belt.

all one has to do in this case to cause a fuse is call police brutality it happens more offten than you might think.

3 cs spray see above.

peper spray can cause resperatory problems and for people like myself that have asthma it can be fatal if used improperly.

4 In some cases Police officers must use Lethal force to protect the public . Very unfortunate for all involved.

I think Tazer may well have it's place but unfortunately some officers see it as a new toy and are itching to try it out. And like the case in Canda Officers seem to not follow in my view correct procedure before resorting to tazer. IE they are jumping for it too quickly. In my view there should be very strict guidelines when it is used and an officer will be held to account for it's use . Said taser will also need to be surrendered at station after use like cs currently is.

there are strict guidlines in useing a tazer but like useing any method of restraint there is always the possiblity of harm to the suspect, public or the officers themselves. tazers are considered a "less leathal" form of weapon this is not star trek where you can set your weapon to stun and the person will wake up all fine and dandy. this is the real world we are talking about with real people not everything is going to go perfectly things go wrong in the real world and that is what happened in both of these cases.

I have some sympathy for those officers in West Yorkshire Police because of the climate at that time that force was on a high readiness due to threat level from terrorists. We have not heard their side of it also. I hope they have a the very least however recieved further training to recognise the signs of a diabetic coma. And their taser use was investigated internally.

thx1138
11-18-2007, 06:26 PM
What about throwing a net over an unarmed suspect? 3 or 4 officers should be able to handle that.

tubgirl
11-18-2007, 07:11 PM
what about just not putting yourself in that position in the first place?

thx1138
11-19-2007, 04:54 AM
I wonder if it was his first diabetic shock. If not he should have been accompanied by someone. Of course the second person runs the risk of being tased too.

Trogdor
11-19-2007, 11:04 AM
what about just not putting yourself in that position in the first place?

Come over to michigan, especially to Detroit, where it was voted #1 most dangerous city in america, and with the thug the city has for a mayor, it's open season, where the cops act more like the folks they are supposed to protect us from.

To cops, a tazer is a new toy to try out, and get kicks out of.

I remember seeing this video of a 200 pound cop arresting a blond chick who did not even weight 100 pounds....and he tazered her ( takes real guts for an overweight cop to zap an unarmed chick who weighs pretty much nothing. ) and kept zapping her...even when he had he in the back seat of the police car, he kept on tazering her....she was then trying to smash the window open by stomping her feet on the window, she was so scared for her life.

Stories like this is why I will never, ever trust police....for anything.

arnie666
11-19-2007, 11:44 AM
[quote=arnie666]

there are strict guidlines in useing a tazer but like useing any method of restraint there is always the possiblity of harm to the suspect, public or the officers themselves. tazers are considered a "less leathal" form of weapon this is not star trek where you can set your weapon to stun and the person will wake up all fine and dandy. this is the real world we are talking about with real people not everything is going to go perfectly things go wrong in the real world and that is what happened in both of these cases.

[quote].

What I did there was simply list other options open to a Police Officer other than Tazer and shooting a violent offender dead. Firstly it is quite possible to defuse a very nasty situation by talking. In fact it is the preferred method as resorting to other options can cause injuries on both sides and legal wranglings in court. In my own experience unless someone has been drinking heavily, taking drugs or is mentally ill these situations can be defused quite often.

However there are incidents where force must be used to prevent someone hurting themselves or others and one thing no has mentioned is , in the UK this force used by Police officers must be judged as 'reasonable force'. From looking at the video on the incident in Canada officers didn't use reasonable force , and I belive used it because the Gent wouldn't comply to their instructions. He didn't have a knife and he hadn't assaulted them. He was behaving erratically yes but tazer should not be used as a form of punishment or because officers want to tick their workbook to show they have used tazer or just for fun.There were four large men. He wasn't a size and their was nothing 'special' about him. That being said Iam going by a video and heresay I wasn't there so it is not completely accurate to judge if force was reasonable or not without speaking to witness's. I will say this it looks a giant fuk up.

If they couldn't calm him down it would have been very easy as there were four of them to overpower him and cuff. If they aren't confident in doing that which is another reason why tazer may have been used it may be a training issue. I have placed in a body belt an extremely violent man who had just kiiled an RAF Police Dog with his bare hands and killed a man . Without tazer or cs spray . With the assistance of two other people. I was able to do this without killing him ....