PDA

View Full Version : 5 Upcoming Comic Book Movies That Must Be Stopped

Legend
11-16-2007, 11:14 AM
http://www.cracked.com/article_15679_5-upcoming-comic-book-movies-that-must-be-stopped.html

3 out of 5 would probably work(luke cage,the green latern and thor),the two others shazam and the sub mariner would be terrible.

Legend
11-16-2007, 11:31 AM
http://www.cracked.com/article_15679_5-upcoming-comic-book-movies-that-must-be-stopped.html

3 out of 5 would probably work(luke cage,the green latern and thor),the two others shazam and the sub mariner would be terrible.

I'm with you. Can we stop all future comic book movies?

Why would you do that when some of the past comic book movies have broken records at the box office.

Coroner
11-16-2007, 11:33 AM
The world is tired of this Comic invasion.

Bluntasaurus-Rex
11-16-2007, 03:31 PM
Any Continuation to the X-Men or Spider-Man films should be destroyed, I don't acknowledge those as canon.

also aren't they making another Hulk film? *throws up in mouth*

Lastly please no more bastardization of The Crow.

Caleigh
11-16-2007, 03:38 PM
A SHAZAM movie would sort of HAVE to be done
tongue in cheek at this point in history don't you
think? After the way that Alan Moore and others
have totally deconstructed almost EVERY aspect
of the whole Superhero mythos it's almost surprising
that any Superhero films are made at all.

The only thing that interests me about the upcoming
IRON MAN movie is that Robert Downey Jr. is in the
lead and the man is just too great to watch on screen
for it to be very bad. I think that with the right
people in the leads and good storylines backing them
up there is no reason they can't go through the
entire major pantheon of DC and Marvel. It all comes
down to the script at this point.

stillies77
11-16-2007, 03:42 PM
Any Continuation to the X-Men or Spider-Man films should be destroyed, I don't acknowledge those as canon.

The New Hulk film is going to have nothing to do with the first one...Ed Norton is playing Banner...its going to be amazing.

and why the fuck would we want to stop all future comic book movies when shit like Batman Begins just came out and brought new life into the genre...

future comic book movies that I want to see...

1. The Dark Knight
2. Watchmen
3. Sin City 2
4. Iron Man
5. The Incredible Hulk

All of which should be awesome.

I do agree however that the planned JLA movie is a bad idea...i dont think any director could ever handle that many characters at the same time and give them all equal screen time...it's impossible.

Ecstatic
11-16-2007, 03:58 PM
Not to mention Grant Morrison or Neil Gaiman. The closest approach to a deconstructed superhero movie that comes to mind is Hellboy, but such movies don't sell like the big name superheroes do.

Agreed. X-2 was the best of the lot, but I was deeply disappointed in the last one. Likewise the second Spidey was the best; the last one just got way too silly in too many ways.

1. The Dark Knight
2. Watchmen
3. Sin City 2
4. Iron Man
5. The Incredible Hulk

I doubt Watchmen would get the quality scripting that it would require to work and would only weaken the original. One of the most brilliant moments in comix history, I think it should be left alone. Iron Man would be neat, and Sin City 2 (if done as the first was). Hulk? No thanks. Dark Knight: let's see where the franchise goes.

I do agree however that the planned JLA movie is a bad idea...i dont think any director could ever handle that many characters at the same time and give them all equal screen time...it's impossible.
Heh, maybe they should try the Legion of Super Heroes....

The Doom Patrol (Morrison version) would be fascinating.

NewYorker
11-16-2007, 06:24 PM

Why would you do that when some of the past comic book movies have broken records at the box office.

That doesn't make them good.

As for all 5, as long as they're done right and interestingly then they stand a chance of being entertaining and good. Green Lantern is the easiest to be ass stupid and Luke Cage most likely will never ever actually happen. The only reason it's even still considered a possibility is that ever 4 or 5 months Tyrese says in an interview that he's still interested in starring in it.

Legend
11-16-2007, 06:32 PM

Of course it doesn't make them good but they make money and thats what people behind those movies care about.

Night Rider
11-16-2007, 06:40 PM
Of course it doesn't make them good but they make money and thats what people behind those movies care about.

That's wasn't how your point was put across. So you're admitting they're shit, and the only reason they sell is because there's a lot of fucked up people in the world?

francisfkudrow
11-16-2007, 06:49 PM
I think the day of the comic book movie is almost over. These 5 movies will likely flop. (Unless they really put effort into the Green Lantern, in which case it could be cool).

As for existing franchises, I think the X-Men series has potential yet, if they're serious. Given the number of deaths at the end of the last X-Men movie, they'd essentially be starting over.

Sin City 2 might be worth a look.

Spiderman and The Hulk should stop now.

In general, by 2010, I think we're going to see a major slowdown in comic book-related movies.

Legend
11-16-2007, 07:01 PM

That's wasn't how your point was put across. So you're admitting they're shit, and the only reason they sell is because there's a lot of fucked up people in the world?

Dude i'm trying my best to avoid you and your excess drama but to answer your question if i was personally making a movie i would be ashamed to put out a terrible movie that sells well but do you honestly think they care about plot and storylines no they want to sell regardless how shitty there movie is thats there objection to make money.Some of them are shit yeah but people are still gonna buy them if they are marketed right,nothing i can do about that but i'm not gonna see them.

"because there's a lot of fucked up people in the world?"

You have no right to say people who watch those movies are fucked up but then again making up shit and making assumptions about people are one of your traits.

Night Rider
11-16-2007, 07:12 PM

Dude i'm trying my best to avoid you and your excess drama but to answer your question if i was personally making a movie i would be ashamed to put out a terrible movie that sells well but do you honestly think they care about plot and storylines no they want to sell regardless how shitty there movie is thats there objection to make money.Some of them are shit yeah but people are still gonna buy them if they are marketed right,nothing i can do about that but i'm not gonna see them.

You have no right to say people who watch those movies are fucked up but then again making up shit and making assumptions about people are one of your traits.

I'm not saying anyone who watches these movies are fucked up, I'm saying the majority of them are. I'm not arguing with the fact that the producers don't care if the movies are shit or not, I'm saying they only sell because there are a lot of people that were took away from their mum's tit far too early. You try to make a blatent point and then when someone questions you about it, you lie and pretend that you meant something else. What's that about?

Legend
11-16-2007, 07:24 PM

I'm not saying anyone who watches these movies are fucked up, I'm saying the majority of them are. I'm not arguing with the fact that the producers don't care if the movies are shit or not, I'm saying they only sell because there are a lot of people that were took away from their mum's tit far too early. You try to make a blatent point and then when someone questions you about it, you lie and pretend that you meant something else. What's that about?

You indicated the people are fucked up not the movies.What the fuck are you talking about i never lied about anything any moron can tell you people behind those movies care about making money THAT'S THERE FUCKING JOB,TO MAKE MONEY.I'm not seeing a overhyped movie but thats not to say others will.It's funny that you would even shine in on a comic book related topic anyway weren't you the same guy dissing stilles because he likes comics,i think it obvious where you and anything related to comic books stand in general.

Night Rider
11-16-2007, 07:31 PM
You indicated the people are fucked up not the movies.What the fuck are you talking about i never lied about anything any moron can tell you people behind those movies care about making money THAT'S THERE FUCKING JOB,TO MAKE MONEY.I'm not seeing a overhyped movie but thats not to say others will.It's funny that you would even shine in on a comic book related topic anyway weren't you the same guy dissing stilles because he likes comics,i think it obvious where you and anything related to comic books stand in general.

I understood 50% of that. It's not any of your concern which threads I'm in, nor is my argument with stillies. I asked a question and as usual your too sensitive and emotional to give a straight answer.

So go ahead and write more and more illiterate bullshit, cry me a river you fucking fag :cry:

Legend
11-16-2007, 07:37 PM

I understood 50% of that. It's not any of your concern which threads I'm in, nor is my argument with stillies. I asked a question and as usual your too sensitive and emotional to give a straight answer.

So go ahead and write more and more illeterate bullshit, cry me a river you fucking fag :cry:

Funny you can't even spell illiterate and from the thread you just started you can't even spell favorite correctly yet you feel the need to insult me,go fuck yourself you fatherless cripple and stay out of my threads.

Night Rider
11-16-2007, 07:42 PM
Funny you can't even spell illiterate and from the thread you just started you can't even spell favorite correctly yet you feel the need to insult me,go fuck yourself you fatherless cripple and stay out of my threads.

Funny, I edited it as soon as I posted so it took you all that time to think of something to say :lol:

I'll be in whatever threads I want, you're lucky I haven't hi-jacked that other emotional spiel of shite you made.

What a dick :!:

NewYorker
11-16-2007, 09:23 PM

I don't think Braveman is one of the people behind those movies.

crayons
11-16-2007, 09:28 PM

A fucking men. Comic book movies are retarded.

Bluntasaurus-Rex
11-16-2007, 09:33 PM

The New Hulk film is going to have nothing to do with the first one...Ed Norton is playing Banner...its going to be amazing.

and why the fuck would we want to stop all future comic book movies when shit like Batman Begins just came out and brought new life into the genre...

1. The Dark Knight
2. Watchmen
3. Sin City 2
4. Iron Man
5. The Incredible Hulk

Ed Norton playing Banner huh, That interesting.

Where did i say there shouldn't be any more comic book movies? I wish Marvel Films would go bankrupt or something but I don't see it happening, The Blade Trilogy was seriously the best movies they ever made.

Sin City 2 does look badass, I loved the first one possibly the greatest comic book movie ever made, the only competing film would have to be The Crow.

I'm not too sure what to think about The Dark Knight, I know for a fact Heth Ledger cannot top Jack Nicholson as the Joker, Batman Returns was by far the best Batman Film.

manbearpig
11-16-2007, 09:40 PM
I'm gonna see Hulk just because Ed Norton gonna be in it. Sure, it'll be a crappy movie but cmon its Ed Norton! I'm actually excited about Iron Man and using the song in the trailer was a very nice touch. Robert Downey Jr is a dead ringer for Tony Stark, almost.

I notice alot of stuff popping up on these forums that were on the front page of Digg lol coincidence?

NewYorker
11-16-2007, 10:48 PM
I'm gonna see Hulk just because Ed Norton gonna be in it. Sure, it'll be a crappy movie but cmon its Ed Norton! I'm actually excited about Iron Man and using the song in the trailer was a very nice touch. Robert Downey Jr is a dead ringer for Tony Stark, almost.

I notice alot of stuff popping up on these forums that were on the front page of Digg lol coincidence?

I don't think Downey is a dead ringer for Stark. Stark has always been suave, while Downey is more funny and quirky. However, with that said, after having seen the trailer I do think he's a brilliant choice for the role. (Besides the two most common models uses for Stark, Cruise and Dalton, are too expensive and too old respectively.)

Leverage87
11-16-2007, 10:59 PM
Well, I agree with stillies, except I feel that the watchman is gonna bomb.

However, I was unaware that Ed Norton was going to play Banner in the new Hulk movie, that interests me greatly as I love all his movies.

Mostly though I'm really pumped for the Iron Man movie, as Caleigh said, Robert Downey jr. is a good actor, and it should be an awesome movie.

TJ347
11-17-2007, 02:01 AM
The problem with comic book movies is always the same:

1) They do their own interpretation of the character(s), rather than follow what's already been established for several decades.

2) They cast people who don't in any way resemble the characters they portray.

Case in point, the upcoming Iron Man movie. It was "modernized" a bit to keep it current... I can accept that in those few instances where it was needed. But I can't accept the "black actor of the moment", Terrence Howard, being selected to play Jim Rhodes! Why not just have Benecio del Toro play Rhodey? He's as dark skinned as Howard is! Plus, Howard can't play Rhodey right... As you'll see. And modernization aside, the story unnecessarily goes away from the Iron Man story that comic book followers know in several areas, which always pissed me off to no end.

I won't even get into the Tyrese as Luke Cage thing. That guy can't act his way out of a paper bag, and if he's doing Luke Cage, it'll be straight to video. Personally, I think all comic book movies should be done in cartoon form, like the recent Iron Man and Avengers movies, which would both be less expensive to make, and allow Marvel to retain full control over the story so that it isn't warped by some dickhead director that has no idea what the history of the character he's dealing with is.

manbearpig
11-17-2007, 05:58 AM

I don't think Downey is a dead ringer for Stark. Stark has always been suave, while Downey is more funny and quirky. However, with that said, after having seen the trailer I do think he's a brilliant choice for the role. (Besides the two most common models uses for Stark, Cruise and Dalton, are too expensive and too old respectively.)

If we're going strictly by looks there is an uncanny similarity. Personality wise Stark would have to be a pompous drug addict in order for that to work lol

stillies77
11-17-2007, 05:59 AM
Tony Stark is a pompous Alcoholic...close enough in my opinion...Downey is a great Stark.

iebwnj
11-17-2007, 06:06 AM
[I'm not too sure what to think about The Dark Knight, I know for a fact Heth Ledger cannot top Jack Nicholson as the Joker, Batman Returns was by far the best Batman Film.

Ledger's Joker is going to be the true personality of the Joker, and the pics of Ledger as the Joker look crazy. In the first set of movies, they basically gave Joker the Riddler's personality and vice-versa.

stillies77
11-17-2007, 06:11 AM
go watch the trailer...listen to the laugh...then tell me he wont be a good joker ya know? haha

stillies77
11-17-2007, 06:43 AM
i dunno i have been reading them since 4th grade...just never stopped...its what got me into Art and I fell in love with the artform.

Ecstatic
11-17-2007, 08:28 AM

As for all 5, as long as they're done right and interestingly then they stand a chance of being entertaining and good. Green Lantern is the easiest to be ass stupid and Luke Cage most likely will never ever actually happen. The only reason it's even still considered a possibility is that ever 4 or 5 months Tyrese says in an interview that he's still interested in starring in it.
Done right, Green Lantern could be brilliant, but you know it won't be, even if CGI is finally up to the task. Rarely is GL handled well in the comix (as the SF comic it was intended to be by Julie Schwartz and Gardner Fox), and instead is ridiculous.

Luke Cage has the potential to actually be a good movie. While inspired in part by the blaxploitation movies of the 1970s, the character was the first major black superhero who had any street cred, and his story could translate very well to the big screen, without excessive CGI. But how often are superhero movies character-driven?

alpha2117
11-17-2007, 08:38 AM

The only thing that interests me about the upcoming
IRON MAN movie is that Robert Downey Jr. is in the
lead and the man is just too great to watch on screen
for it to be very bad. I think that with the right
people in the leads and good storylines backing them
up there is no reason they can't go through the
entire major pantheon of DC and Marvel. It all comes
down to the script at this point.

The average Movie viewer wouldn't know the name Alan Moore if they fell over him. Somewhat rightly so too. Alan Moore's influence is important but his actual work is on the whole pretty ordinary. I love Watchmen but it wasn't the goddam revelation that some people seem to think it was. His work post Watchmen has been patchy with League being a wonderful idea with ok execution and From Hell a piece of completly inaccurate rubbish.

Normy
11-17-2007, 09:20 AM
Can anyone explain why there are so many comic book enthusiasts among the men of HA? It's not a criticisim, just an observation.

It's the tights darling :wink:

And reading that description of Namor's suit has me sporting wood. :oops:

Now how about dressing up some of our Hung Angles as super heroins or villainess?

Skwisgarr Skwigelf
07-21-2008, 08:37 AM
Can anyone explain why there are so many comic book enthusiasts among the men of HA? It's not a criticisim, just an observation.

It's the tights darling :wink:

And reading that description of Namor's suit has me sporting wood. :oops:

Now how about dressing up some of our Hung Angles as super heroins or villainess?

Comic books are awesome and hungangels is awesome that's my logic also if I could get a movie involving cyclops' brother Havoc (Alex) that would be appreciated