PDA

View Full Version : Beowulf

DJ_Asia
11-15-2007, 05:23 PM
Just returned from seeing it....

Has that "300" feel to it w/ too much CGI for my taste,but I enjoyed way more than "300" not only for the superior storyline but also for Angelina Jolie...my God!

Check it out,kinda drags a bit til you figure out the pace,but it comes together fairly well,and leave the children at home...it maybe a sci/fi swords and sorcery flick but def not for the wee ones..

Mr_Choc69
11-16-2007, 12:52 AM
Thanks. I am going to check it out this weekend.

KiraHarden
11-16-2007, 01:07 AM

Has that "300" feel to it w/ too much CGI for my taste,but I enjoyed way more than "300" not only for the superior storyline but also for Angelina Jolie...my God!

Check it out,kinda drags a bit til you figure out the pace,but it comes together fairly well,and leave the children at home...it maybe a sci/fi swords and sorcery flick but def not for the wee ones..
I want to see this movie... Did you see it in 3D

Ecstatic
11-16-2007, 01:16 AM
I actually read (well, stumbled my way through) Beowulf in Old English back in college, so I really do look forward to this one. And if you're up for a great read, check out Grendel by John Gardner, a short novel which tells the tale from the monster's point of view. Superbly written by one of the finest authors of the past half century.

stillies77
11-16-2007, 01:16 AM
i loved the story so im sure i will love the movie

timxxx
11-16-2007, 01:24 AM
WOW thats quick, l didn't think films opened that fast in Thailand.It doesn't open here in the U.K till Friday.Was it in English?

GroobySteven
11-16-2007, 02:05 AM
Fuck I just watched the trailer - I didn't realise it was going to be an animation ... :-(

This is a decent rendering:
http://imdb.com/title/tt0402057/

Starring Gerard Butler (300) as Beowulf

Leverage87
11-16-2007, 02:06 AM
I am also really excited to see this movie, I read Beowulf in High School, and I have read parts of Grendal on my own, both are excellent. I liked 300 for the action sequences and thought the CG looked pretty cool, but the story (and the acting for the matter) was pretty disappointing. I have high hopes for Beowulf.

alphanumeric
11-16-2007, 02:12 AM
I hate to say it, but I think I'll wait till it hits blockbusters shelves...

Night Rider
11-16-2007, 02:13 AM
No matter how good or bad it is, Angelina's still in it...

KiraHarden
11-16-2007, 02:32 AM
Fuck I just watched the trailer - I didn't realise it was going to be an animation ... :-(

This is a decent rendering:
http://imdb.com/title/tt0402057/

Starring Gerard Butler (300) as Beowulf
YES its made the same way they did The Polor Express... I wanna be digitalized.

CORVETTEDUDE
11-16-2007, 02:37 AM
Planning to see it this coming weekend....can't wait for the Movie Theater Popcorn!!!!

whatsupwithat
11-16-2007, 02:56 AM
haha!

i remember going to see 300 with you that time. we both walked out of there like, "why the fuck did we just pay good money to see that shit?"

DJ_Asia
11-16-2007, 05:21 AM
WOW thats quick, l didn't think films opened that fast in Thailand.It doesn't open here in the U.K till Friday.Was it in English?

Yup in English w/thai subs...sadly though it wasnt in 3D...still very enjoyable

DJ_Asia
11-16-2007, 05:24 AM
haha!

i remember going to see 300 with you that time. we both walked out of there like, "why the fuck did we just pay good money to see that shit?"

Haha yup 300 was a pile O' dookie for sure.
My date last night was a little cuter than you too....sorry bro :D

whatsupwithat
11-16-2007, 05:33 AM
haha!

Haha yup 300 was a pile O' dookie for sure.
My date last night was a little cuter than you too....sorry bro :D

oh yeah...i was surrounded by beautiful women last night. but...wait...i went home alone...damn you! :P

lust4ts
11-16-2007, 05:36 AM
I have seen the trailer and Ray Winstone looks so weird.

He has come along way from "I'm the fucking daddy now, you slagggg" (Scum)

GroobySteven
11-16-2007, 07:41 AM
I have seen the trailer and Ray Winstone looks so weird.

He has come along way from "I'm the fucking daddy now, you slagggg" (Scum)

"Bakin!"- Sexy Beast

Hara_Juku Tgirl
11-16-2007, 07:46 AM

I will definitely see it! :P

~Kisses.

HTG

BXCanada
11-16-2007, 07:47 AM
i might see it in the theatres i would like to see it in 3D but i don't think any of the theares here are showing it in 3D.

DJ_Asia
11-16-2007, 08:15 AM
i might see it in the theatres i would like to see it in 3D but i don't think any of the theares here are showing it in 3D.

We actually have some world class theatres in Bangkok...ranging in price from 4 bucks to the 20 dollar reclining dual love seats,waitress service,blankets and pillows and its cool to drink beer or cocktails in the theatre too!
However this film wasnt offered in 3D here,but it didnt detract from the enjoyment of it,but it does explain alot of the trippy angles the film was shot in tho....

BXCanada
11-16-2007, 08:50 AM

We actually have some world class theatres in Bangkok...ranging in price from 4 bucks to the 20 dollar reclining dual love seats,waitress service,blankets and pillows and its cool to drink beer or cocktails in the theatre too!
However this film wasnt offered in 3D here,but it didnt detract from the enjoyment of it,but it does explain alot of the trippy angles the film was shot in tho....

they are probably showing it in 3D at the IMAX theatre in Vancouver, it is a 6 storey wrap around screen now that would be very cool.

DJ_Asia
11-16-2007, 08:58 AM
Holy shit i stand corrected..It IS showing in 3D here at the Imax @ The Paragon in BKK.Just called to confirm it was in 3D and it indeed is.....but all the screenings today have been cancelled due to projector malfuntion....sigh.

Ecstatic
11-18-2007, 06:57 AM
Saw Beowulf today with my wife, and while she was repulsed by the gore of first Grendel scene, she and I both enjoyed the movie a lot. Avary and Gaiman make a good writing team; Gaiman was my single biggest reason to see the film, as spinning unique interpretations of classic myth and fable is his forte (witness American Gods, Sandman, and Stardust to name but three).

Sure, they took a bit of liberty with the storyline--which probably isn't very well known to most people anyway--but I was impressed with both how closely they held to the original and some of the ways they veered off. (But what's up with Grendel's mom wearing sexy stilletto heels? Mostly certainly not a period costume, lol.)