PDA

View Full Version : In ten years your life will probably be terrible

thx1138
11-15-2007, 03:52 PM
http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig7/crovelli9.html

Nowhere
11-15-2007, 04:07 PM

Agreed, absolutely, although the working girls choose their wages, so that should protect them a bit.

For the rest of us - The populous of America is terribly poorly educated, however - and instead of embracing Ron, they're going with whatever the media says and ignoring him (Probably electing Giulani or Hillary, equally bad). Unfortunately, Ron WILL be know as our "financial last hope" which we completely ignored as the dollar makes its way to being as valuable as the peso.

I am already feeling the effects, somewhat, and am actively considering working abroad to be paid in GBP or Euro..

MacShreach
11-15-2007, 04:19 PM

That's an interesting and well argued piece that has echoes in others I have seen recently.

The writer makes sense on many points but the most important, which he doesn't really address, is that energy costs remained unrealistically low during the 90's and early part of this century and this will have to be sorted. It's a bit like the San Andreas-- either you have groaning energy price rises all the time or occasional big ones that really shake the foundations. We're due a big one. It's happened before though.

I see in the last par the writer changes tack to introduce a ray of hope from a politician who apparently believe a return to the Gold Standard is the solution to the problem. Well, that smacks of old-fashioned economic protectionism to me.

The fact is that the States has been a major motivator in the globalisation of the world economy and now the horse is well and truly running it's too late to close the stable door. The consequences, which are the current loss of confidence in the dollar, and the reintroduction of significant inflation into US and its partner economies, will just have to be ridden out. Protectionism will not prevent that, but it may prevent a rapid recovery.....

Nowhere
11-15-2007, 04:26 PM

That's an interesting and well argued piece that has echoes in others I have seen recently.

The writer makes sense on many points but the most important, which he doesn't really address, is that energy costs remained unrealistically low during the 90's and early part of this century and this will have to be sorted. It's a bit like the San Andreas-- either you have groaning energy price rises all the time or occasional big ones that really shake the foundations. We're due a big one. It's happened before though.

I see in the last par the writer changes tack to introduce a ray of hope from a politician who apparently believe a return to the Gold Standard is the solution to the problem. Well, that smacks of old-fashioned economic protectionism to me.

The fact is that the States has been a major motivator in the globalisation of the world economy and now the horse is well and truly running it's too late to close the stable door. The consequences, which are the current loss of confidence in the dollar, and the reintroduction of significant inflation into US and its partner economies, will just have to be ridden out. Protectionism will not prevent that, but it may prevent a rapid recovery.....

With a fiat system and spending like we do, this is inevitable, when there is no standard. Either you stop spending or you start pegging it against something. As long as the dollar is only what people perceive it, and the government keeps on spending as much as possible and waging wars (which is what Ron is ALSO against), the article will be as true as ever.

MacShreach
11-15-2007, 05:07 PM
With a fiat system and spending like we do, this is inevitable, when there is no standard. Either you stop spending or you start pegging it against something. As long as the dollar is only what people perceive it, and the government keeps on spending as much as possible and waging wars (which is what Ron is ALSO against), the article will be as true as ever.

No argument with sensible fiscal controls, and you're quite right that being in what increasingly looks like an unwinnable war does not help confidence. In fact broadly I agree with what the piece says in all regards, except for the Gold Standard part.

I think the point is that there is definitely going to be a crunch, the question is what happens next, and experience in the past tells us that artificial devices like the Gold Standard slow recovery.

In any case no other major economy is proposing to go back to the Gold Standard, which is obsolete, making the whole exercise pretty pointless. You could perhaps look at other possible standards and of course your Govt could simply prop up the dollar....for a time.

A similar exercise was carried out in the UK 15 years ago when the Govt tied itself into what was called the ERM, which was a basket of European currencies. Speculators ganged up, busted it and the biggest single crash in post-war history occurred, which is still having consequences today.

All that "tie the currency up" stuff is very populist and at the moment is being fulled by the weakness of the dollar; but the dollar has been much weaker before.

You have a Government that has not been particularly fiscally prudent (a very common thing for all of us) and this, combined with changes in the world economy which it should have predicted but did not, is having consequences now. Protectionism and locking currency to an artificial standard begins to look like desperation.

thx1138
11-15-2007, 05:20 PM
http://www.nowandfutures.com/key_stats.html Too much money is being created. The horrible tuth is the US/UK axis of evil simply can't afford to conquer Iran, Central Asia,Russia and China without starving its citizens to death.

Quinn
11-15-2007, 05:23 PM
The widespread use of the "gold standard" is one of the main reasons the Great Depression lasted as long as it did. Yes, a metallic standard serves to restrain, though not prevent, inflation or deflation. Unfortunatley, it also removes one of the main tools goverments have for fighting economic downturns: the fiat system. The Keynesian model, which in layman's terms involves spending your way out of recessions or depressions, wouldn't be possible under a metallic standard (at least not under a gold standard).

Bottom line:Though I couldn't agree more that we are printing too much money, I don't think a return to a gold standard (or any metallic standard) would be prudent.

-Quinn

MacShreach
11-15-2007, 05:32 PM
Bottom line:Though I couldn't agree more that we are printing too much money, I don't think a return to a gold standard (or any metallic standard) would be prudent.

-Quinn

Co-sign. First step is to attend to the money supply. It will HURT in the short term, but it will allow sustainable regeneration in the medium to long.

lancecd
11-15-2007, 08:23 PM
Quick question.....

You guys know this is a TS forum, right?

MacShreach
11-15-2007, 08:26 PM
Quick question.....

Ya think, noob?

Quinn
11-15-2007, 08:44 PM
Quick question.....

Good point. In the future, we'll be sure to inlude charts containing lots of phallic shapes so that you don't get too uncomfortable.

-Quinn

http://www.vigrxplus.com/images/blocks/k.jpg

alphanumeric
11-15-2007, 11:26 PM
Quick question.....

Shhh!!! We're tryin to prove our brainiosity so' the wimmenfolk'll notice us!

"we hope"

BeardedOne
11-15-2007, 11:33 PM
Quick question.....

"we hope"

That would have been my answer. :D

In relation to the thread title, mine is already pretty sucky, so I don't think I'd mind all the other bullshit as much as others might.

Quinn
11-16-2007, 12:15 AM
Quick question.....

"we hope"

LMAO... Yeah, that must be it . . . because we know how much value the average woman places on intelligence over say good looks, a good body, income, a sense of humor, or being hung.

-Quinn

Nowhere
11-16-2007, 05:33 AM
Quick question.....

Hey, I commented on the working girls being fine, didn't I?

slinky
11-16-2007, 05:45 AM
who needs to wait 10 years

tall, dark & Handsome
11-16-2007, 06:41 AM
who needs to wait 10 years

But seriously Check out Ron Paul's interview on at google headquarters. I think he has some good ideas, but his laissez faire attitude toward pretty much everything is a little too loosey goosey for me.

And if he said "yea, that sounds good, that sounds O.K." to a question regarding his position on an issue he had not worked out I was going to punch my computer. I have to say elliot's questions sounded more like statements with an introduction, a middle, and a conclusion.

In Ron Pauls world more jobs would be permitted to move over sea's without any recourse and health care would have to be subsidized by Business'...which ever ones are still hear.
Yea, that's going well so far.

Here's the clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCM_wQy4YVg

artie 900
11-16-2007, 07:42 AM
In Ron Pauls world more jobs would be permitted to move over sea's without any recourse and health care would have to be subsidized by Business'...which ever ones are still hear.

Ron Paul's world would be some sort of terrible new Gilded Age. The guy is like a cartoon supervillain, complete with a crazy obsession with gold. Seriously, I don't know whether the people who like him are insane, evil, or incredibly misguided.

Look at his voting record; this blog post (http://dneiwert.blogspot.com/2007/11/ron-pauls-record-in-congress.html) lists some of the highlights. Ron Paul is pro-life. He wants to remove the barrier between church and state. He has voted for an anti-flag burning amendment. He's voted to get rid of the minimum wage. He's voted to get rid of OSHA. He's voted to deny federal aid to Iranian students studying in America. He wants to dissolve the UN. He's sponsored two bills to stop fractional-reserve banking, which would essentially destroy the economy overnight. He wants to get rid of the Fed. Ron Paul has introduced the We The People (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_the_People_Act) act three times, which would invalidate any federal court ruling on things like abortion, same-sex marriage or any sexual practice. This would overturn Roe v. Wade and the decision that struck down the laws against sodomy.

Ron Paul is Stormfront's candidate of choice. (http://dneiwert.blogspot.com/2007/11/dark-side-of-paul-phenomenon.html) Stormfront, of course, is the Internet's premier white supremacy forum. Every ultra-right-wing crackpot in America is lining up behind Ron Paul because he would make legalized bigotry A-OK while simultaneously ending the tyranny of the Food and Drug Administration and Environmental Protection Agency.

It's going to be nice when the primaries are over and nobody has to hear about this nutball anymore- the guy is polling below the margin of error in actual, non-Internet polls.

El Nino
11-16-2007, 07:46 AM
RP is a savior

tall, dark & Handsome
11-16-2007, 08:57 AM
a savior.....huh....yea that analogy poses a bit of a problem too for me.

I am with you Artie, I listen to him and am speechless. I mean this is quite an experiment for a republican from Texas to take on.

I mean a republican from Texas!?!?

A postmortem Texas republican could beat a live democratic texan in an election. He doesn't have to know shit from shineola. (which in watching the google video I believe he admits in so many words he does not......how refreshing of a politician....ehem..)

This guys Plan is he has no Plan. (how zen)

I mean he doesn't have a chance in hell, but if he did I would sell my house and watch my country become the fractured states of distopia as I travel in my desert mobile.

Yea, It would be full on Mad Max time so practise your Muay Thai and Jujitsu Kids, and you may want to get your hands on a nuclear weapon.

Hey, Don't worry the goverment will not be restricting the possesion of one. Because there won't be a Goverment....genius!!!

thx1138
11-16-2007, 04:46 PM
No matter what happens the economy is in for a rough ride. The old saying applies: "if you are in a hole stop digging". with RP as president he will stop digging. That doesn't mean the hole gets smaller immediately. This economic mess has been caused by decades of irresponsible policies the consequences of which will be with us for many, many years.