PDA

View Full Version : Any Musicians on the Forum?

Bluntasaurus-Rex
11-14-2007, 11:11 PM
If so what Instrument do you play? Have any Bands going? What Genre of Music do you play? and Who would you say your biggest musical influences are?

Me, I mainly do vocals but I often times also play Bass, Turntables and several unconvetional Instruments that weren't really intended to be isntruemtns.

I have 2 bands currently going one is an Extreme Metal/Grindcore band called Satanicus Maximus who are looking for a Second Guitarist & Drummer.

The other is called Yellow Snow Angels which is an Avant-Garde band which I'm currently writing material for an album.

I'd say that Mike Patton & John Zorn are my two biggest musical influences because they keep reinventing the bar for musical creativity and seem like they always have something in the works.

Nikka
11-14-2007, 11:16 PM
I play guitar I have a rock band called EDONIS

Leverage87
11-14-2007, 11:19 PM
I would love to learn guitar, or bass, but the problem is I'm not very good at learning musical stuff lol.

pariahsan
11-15-2007, 12:15 AM
I play the organ. As often as possible.

MacShreach
11-15-2007, 12:32 AM

Actually Nikka is one of the best shred guitarists I know, she's just too modest to say. So I will.

Me I play guitar, bass, fiddle and mandolin and I sing. I haven't had a band for years but we'll see.....

Coroner
11-15-2007, 12:52 AM
I play guitar. Not in a band but we do sessions and some projects for ourselves. I also played some live gigs but there are no fame ambitions or such stuff. I play the music I love for myself. I listen to several Metal sub-genres but my influences come from the technical side. When I say technical, I mean technical Death/Thrash Metal, Neo-classical and Progressive Metal and Jazz-Fusion. I own a Ibanez RGT 42.

stillies77
11-15-2007, 01:16 AM
I have 2 acoustics that i just goof around on...play some Dashboard songs to make the ladies swoon...i played a song to gia darling once on Yahoo Messenger Cam to Cam...she loved it haha

Tomfurbs
11-15-2007, 01:24 AM
I have played guitar in two bands sofar. One was a pretty far out outfit at uni, the other was a little folk band when I lived in Edinburgh, played every wednesday at the Globe Pub. I also did some solo stuff when my studies weren't too pressing.

Nikka
11-15-2007, 01:47 AM
I play the organ. As often as possible.

nice message for a first post :)

Nikka
11-15-2007, 01:48 AM

Actually Nikka is one of the best shred guitarists I know, she's just too modest to say. So I will.

awwww thanks :)

people can check out my band in myspace:

www.myspace.com/edonisedonis :mrgreen:

tsmandy
11-15-2007, 02:39 AM
I'm classically trained on the piano, and I love to sing-especially with my partner. A major goal of ours over the next year is to start performing again.

gimmeurblood
11-15-2007, 02:51 AM
im half of a compugrind band called The Candyland Massacre, i do guitars bass drum programming keys and vocals and then my own personal music project the Benoit Tragedy, whihc is liek a deathgrinkblackpunkthrashhop sorta thing

gimmeurblood
11-15-2007, 02:53 AM
nice to see some other death metal cats here \m/ horns up!

TheOne1
11-15-2007, 03:12 AM
my instrument is the warwick fna jazzman five string... band days are over since its long hours, and low pay (unless your in a good cover band)
session bass playing was going to be my career, but another job fell in my lap like a cheap whore....

damn those cheap whore jobs

MacShreach
11-15-2007, 03:32 AM

It's true. And might I add that EVERY SINGLE ONE of you lot on this board should be getting over to CDBABY RIGHT NOW to buy the Edonis CD. Best $8 you'll spend this week, that's for sure. :D

I have it in the car all the time. The CD I mean.

Nikka, have you ever looked at emusic as an outlet or do the numbers just not add up?

Bluntasaurus-Rex
11-15-2007, 03:48 AM
I play guitar. Not in a band but we do sessions and some projects for ourselves. I also played some live gigs but there are no fame ambitions or such stuff. I play the music I love for myself. I listen to several Metal sub-genres but my influences come from the technical side. When I say technical, I mean technical Death/Thrash Metal, Neo-classical and Progressive Metal and Jazz-Fusion. I own a Ibanez RGT 42.

Tech Metal is the shit, You like PsyOpus or Orthrelm?

audioguy
11-15-2007, 03:55 AM
I'm a guitar player and singer, although these days, being a recording engineer takes all my time so I haven't been in a band in quite some time. My old band was pretty diverse, sounding something like a mash between Soundgarden and some good ol' Washington DC punk rock.

When I play nowadays, it comes out like the Pixies/PJ Harvey/the Posies, all of whom are influences along with Husker Du, Tool, Ani DiFranco, lot's of 80s non-hair metal, Marvin Gaye, lot's o' stuff.

I've just recently gotten into writing again, but moreso for other people. I don't harbor anymore desire to be a rock star. It feels really good to be creative with my own music again, as opposed to someone else's.

Cheers....

Coroner
11-15-2007, 04:20 AM

These might be some new bands? I´m exactly into Nocturnus, Atheist, Cynic, Death, Cacophony, Gorguts, Pestilence, Paradox, Forbidden, Heathen, Coroner, Vio-lence, Vitalij Kuprij, Artension, Ring of Fire, Symphony X, The Armada, Watchtower...... just to name few from the different Metal sub-genres. Most of these bands started in the 1980ies and I´m generally focused on 80ies and early 90ies stuff when it comes to extreme Metal and of course on the late 60ies and 70ies era of Heavy Metal. There are some good new bands in the underground scene but I always return to the originals.

JamesHunt
11-15-2007, 04:49 AM
I mess around with fruity loops occassionally

audioguy
11-15-2007, 05:20 AM
Fruity loops seems like fun, although I've never used it personally. Anything that's user-friendly, intuitive, and helps people be creative without getting super technical is a-okay in my book. (Acid, Garage Band, Live).

As long as they don't make sounding Pro too easy, so I can still have a job, that is...... :)

manbearpig
11-15-2007, 07:41 AM
I play *takes deep breath* piano (13 years), guitar, bass, sax, drums...gonna start teaching myself violin one of these days.

I guess I also sing. Not really big on singing but I did recently play Judas in Jesus Christ Superstar...

qeuqheeg222
11-15-2007, 09:26 AM
wow it is interestin to see the musicians come out of the woodworks...i have played guitar and bass for some twenty years in various projects-i was in a scandalous hardcore punk band in the 80's and toured extensively throughout the us and canada in a dusty,smokey van..in the early 90's i went back to my garage band routes and played in several of these type o things ...as of late i have been playin long distance(due to hurricane katrina) with some people doin some worldbeatacidjazzhiphops..a west african rapperd.j,keybords and drummer to round ou the sound...
the telecaster-no pick-old vintage amps.............

tall, dark & Handsome
11-15-2007, 09:37 AM
I play guitar, but want to learn more Keyboards (maybe mandy will lend me a hand)

Some of my favorite bands (I hesitate to say they are all major influences) are:
Bowie, Sly and the family stone, Pavement, Daft Punk, Weezer, Prince, The Staple Singers, the Rolling Stones, The Misfits, Sparklehorse, and The Flaming Lips to name a few.

Bluntasaurus-Rex
11-15-2007, 05:17 PM

These might be some new bands? I´m exactly into Nocturnus, Atheist, Cynic, Death, Cacophony, Gorguts, Pestilence, Paradox, Forbidden, Heathen, Coroner, Vio-lence, Vitalij Kuprij, Artension, Ring of Fire, Symphony X, The Armada, Watchtower...... just to name few from the different Metal sub-genres. Most of these bands started in the 1980ies and I´m generally focused on 80ies and early 90ies stuff when it comes to extreme Metal and of course on the late 60ies and 70ies era of Heavy Metal. There are some good new bands in the underground scene but I always return to the originals.

PsyOpus formed in 2002, Their guitarist is fucking insane (Christopher Arp) he's seriously one of the best guitarist I've heard in awhile.

Orthrelm formed in 2000 and are a duo consisting of Mick Barr (one of my favorite guitarist) and Zack Hill, They are a combination of Avant-Garde Metal and Tech metal and are instrumental.

Atheist, Gorguts & Death are really great bands, Gorguts in recent times have really borderlined Avant-Garde (which is good).

as far as Tech goes I love bands like The Dillinger Escape Plan, PsyOpus, Orthrelm, Hella, Behold...The Arctopus, Between The Buried & Me (Not generally classified a Tech but I like to include them anyways), The Flying Luttenbachers & vintage Tech like Rush & King Crimson are always nice.

Damn dude if your ever in Nc look me up we've so got to jam or something.

Bluntasaurus-Rex
11-15-2007, 05:22 PM
I play guitar, but want to learn more Keyboards (maybe mandy will lend me a hand)

Some of my favorite bands (I hesitate to say they are all major influences) are:
Bowie, Sly and the family stone, Pavement, Daft Punk, Weezer, Prince, The Staple Singers, the Rolling Stones, The Misfits, Sparklehorse, and The Flaming Lips to name a few.

The Misfits with Danzig on Vocals right?

tall, dark & Handsome
11-15-2007, 06:39 PM

Yea definitely the original line up with Glenn.

Bluntasaurus-Rex
11-15-2007, 06:42 PM

Yea definitely the original line up with Glenn.

you have good taste then my friend, it's a shame what Jerry Only has turned the Misfits into, just a Horror punk KISS.

indagador
11-15-2007, 10:26 PM
Hi there.
I play Bass, mainly in Death metal bands. I also do vocals in my ever-returning band called Gutted Souls.
I also have a project of mine Digitalize, that i attempt to do EBM and Industrial-esque music.

Music to listen ->Brutal and/or technical metal, especially bands like cynic and Coroner. In more recent times demented acts like Wormed , Gorgasm call my attention.
On the other side i love 80's goth rock, bauhaus and such, EBM and synth pop.

blckhaze
11-15-2007, 10:54 PM
violinist and pianist here.

whatislove
11-15-2007, 11:13 PM
Hi there.
I play Bass, mainly in Death metal bands.

And that means your a musician, how??? :evil: :evil: :twisted: :lol:

strokeitnow
11-15-2007, 11:57 PM
I heard Kelly Shore plays the Skin Flute. Kelly why don't you play a song or two for the board.

manbearpig
11-16-2007, 06:41 AM
Hi there.
I play Bass, mainly in Death metal bands.

And that means your a musician, how??? :evil: :evil: :twisted: :lol:

lol he's totally Murderface from Dethklok.

scroller
11-16-2007, 07:31 AM
Drums. In a punk/garage band.

the commander
11-16-2007, 07:44 AM
http://www.myspace.com/davidnicholas23

I'm a vocalist and lyricist. DC area. I'm looking for other musicians in the area. If you're interested, pm me.

I anyone likes my music, let me know. It's always nice to know when someone appreciates my songs.

The Commander
DIA

LarryFromNYC
11-16-2007, 07:54 AM
I can play the bass guitar. I have the potential to be a good bass player but I've stopped practicing because I've been going through a lazy phase in the past 6 months.

qeuqheeg222
11-16-2007, 08:25 AM
yeah deeeeds tha poundin of the double bass drum at 180bpm............

lust4ts
11-16-2007, 09:00 AM
I'm a true player for real :roll:

Caleigh
11-16-2007, 03:57 PM
I play guitar, bass, keys and banjo as far as traditional
instruments go. I studied electroacoustic composition
for 2 years right after H.S. in the vein of Varese, Schaeffer,
Boulez and Stockhausen so since they've been around
I've always been into sampling in it's less "musical"
usages even though I also like to compose stuff with
a beat. Some samples of sketches.

www.soundclick.com/something_human

David, you have a beautiful voice, what's your range?

MerriCait
11-16-2007, 11:09 PM
i play guitar, keyboard, piano, tin whistle and recorder, write songs and listen to rock, no band lol

voy4her
12-05-2007, 10:07 AM
i play piano.guitar, occasional bass and i sing/songwrite. just quit my band and am planning a solo album.

GrimFusion
12-05-2007, 10:32 AM
I play my computer. Honestly, I'm surprised there aren't more people around the boards who sample or compose electronica.

Yeah, I'll agree that homebrew electronica has a really bad reputation. Most of the people who "compose" simply download overused and low quality techno loops off the net and arrange them in Fruity Loops. Hell, even mentioning Fruity Loops gets me laughed at in most circles.

Well, I don't use loops and I rarely use wav samples. I compose note-for-note, and I think I have a fairly interesting thing going.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=723367

Check out some of my stuff if you have a minute. I like feedback, even if it is negative.

So, to answer the question directly, I guess I play keyboards, even though I can't read music. lol.

alphanumeric
12-05-2007, 10:53 AM
does "guitar Hero" count?...

GrimFusion
12-05-2007, 10:58 AM
I play guitar, bass, keys and banjo as far as traditional
instruments go. I studied electroacoustic composition
for 2 years right after H.S. in the vein of Varese, Schaeffer,
Boulez and Stockhausen so since they've been around
I've always been into sampling in it's less "musical"
usages even though I also like to compose stuff with
a beat. Some samples of sketches.

www.soundclick.com/something_human

David, you have a beautiful voice, what's your range?

I thought I'd be brave enough to offer a little constructive criticism. It's not my goal to insult, but I usually do have a problem with being way too blunt. I'm sure you could listen to my works and point out a few problems too, so try to keep an open mind here, please. If you want to return the favor with my stuff, please do. I hardly ever get input on it.

Anyway, I took a listen to Nopi@k, neon, and matina and noticed a few things. Many of the samples you used could be considered rather brazen on their own, and even well into each track, your samples didn't mix very well. Now, I know there could be good reason for it. You could be one of those "impressionistic experimental electronica" types. If that's the case, I guess I'm flat out baffled and biased against the genre, so just blow all this off.

The only other thing I notice is that your tracks seem to become a little repetitive. Now, I can't talk too much shit here, because some of my tracks go on and on for 2 minutes before I introduce anything new, and perhaps again, I may be biased here. If you listen to a few of my titles, you'll notice I'd rather opt for a 20 second song than drag things out. I guess it's just matter of preference. I got into the beat the first quarter of the way through all three of your tracks. I mean, I was really digging them at first, but half way through, I felt like I'd heard the whole thing; fast forwarded a bit, then moved on.

Anyway, I hope you don't think any of that was too harsh. I just hope you don't take the "I'm FUCKING EDUCATED, SO SHUT UP!" approach. Please?

GrimFusion
12-05-2007, 11:06 AM
http://www.myspace.com/davidnicholas23

I'm a vocalist and lyricist. DC area. I'm looking for other musicians in the area. If you're interested, pm me.

I anyone likes my music, let me know. It's always nice to know when someone appreciates my songs.

The Commander
DIA

Wow... I like. Very impressive, actually. Your style reminds me of a old-time deep south gospel sound mixed with folk.

GrimFusion
12-05-2007, 11:13 AM

people can check out my band in myspace:

www.myspace.com/edonisedonis :mrgreen:

Your stuff reminds me of a cross between mid-1990's chick-band alternative/grunge and Japanese pop-rock. That "Thanx Honey" was cute. Like... cute thrown into overdrive. Seriously, I wanted to go on a cheek-pinching binge. lol. Good stuff, though.

GrimFusion
12-05-2007, 09:12 PM
Bizzump, dizzamn it!

ottorocket
12-05-2007, 09:18 PM
Drums 10 years
Piano 20 years
Trumpet 3
Bass (basic blues)

Piano really is the fundamental to learning music...if you know piano you learn rhythm, scales, chords and train you ear. The rest just fell into place. I also built my own recording studio where my band plays our own stuff and Grunge covers.

trish
12-05-2007, 09:28 PM
i taught myself piano...so i'm pretty bad. i bang out blues and jazz chords with my left hand and stumble over melodies with my right while yodeling. i use charts from Sher's New Real Book series. i play only for my cats who prefer to listen from a further room.

GrimFusion
12-05-2007, 11:05 PM
i taught myself piano...so i'm pretty bad. i bang out blues and jazz chords with my left hand and stumble over melodies with my right while yodeling. i use charts from Sher's New Real Book series. i play only for my cats who prefer to listen from a further room.

I really can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. lol.

trish
12-05-2007, 11:38 PM
no...not sarcastic...just telling it like it is. okay...i don't really yodel...the neighbors only misrepresent it that way.

ARMANIXXX
12-05-2007, 11:42 PM
Drums, Boards,

Vocalist.

lovetgirls
12-06-2007, 07:05 PM
Have played guitar for nearly 40 years. Started in the 70's with the obligatory garage band, which morphed into puffy hair and sleeves and Zeppelin covers. After a few more decent groups with really bad names (and a few decent names for really bad bands) ended up playing in a couple of the seminal punk bands in the Philly area. Since then it's been everything from country to prog rock.

Quit the band scene a few years ago, despite some regional successes and a few recordings. Too many bars, too much smoke, too little appreciation for real musicians regardless of style/genre. My decision to kill the next person that requested 'Free Bird' made me think I better start staying home. Now I take on the periodic gig (one or two a year) playing classical and jazz chord/melody stuff.

Currently playing the 1965 Gibson 12 string I've had since 1972, along with the nylon string classical I had made by a wonderful luthier earlier this year.

ottorocket
12-06-2007, 07:10 PM
Have played guitar for nearly 40 years. Started in the 70's with the obligatory garage band, which morphed into puffy hair and sleeves and Zeppelin covers. After a few more decent groups with really bad names (and a few decent names for really bad bands) ended up playing in a couple of the seminal punk bands in the Philly area. Since then it's been everything from country to prog rock.

Quit the band scene a few years ago, despite some regional successes and a few recordings. Too many bars, too much smoke, too little appreciation for real musicians regardless of style/genre. My decision to kill the next person that requested 'Free Bird' made me think I better start staying home. Now I take on the periodic gig (one or two a year) playing classical and jazz chord/melody stuff.

Currently playing the 1965 Gibson 12 string I've had since 1972, along with the nylon string classical I had made by a wonderful luthier earlier this year.

This is the quintessential problem with many musicians...the public has a low cognition for real talent when it comes along. I blame the industry itself... I'd much rather here a guy like you pluck a 12 string in his backyard than 5 emo hacks pulled from their parents house to make a platinum selling album of over dubbed crying.

lovetgirls
12-06-2007, 07:18 PM
This is the quintessential problem with many musicians...the public has a low cognition for real talent when it comes along. I blame the industry itself... I'd much rather here a guy like you pluck a 12 string in his backyard than 5 emo hacks pulled from their parents house to make a platinum selling album of over dubbed crying.

Yeah, and it's a shame. Years ago you could find crowds that wanted to hear new music. Now, crowds at bars and clubs want to hear familiar stuff. Guess I can't fault them for that. And, to be honest, I'm sure there are still young crowds that seek new stuff, but they're typically not interested in what a 45+ year old guy wants to play.

The upside is that the internet has created so many venues for new artists, good or bad. There's lots of each to be found on places like youtube. Plus, technology has made the recording process so accessible to all that someone truly committed to getting his/her stuff out there has the opportunity.

MacShreach
12-06-2007, 07:22 PM
My decision to kill the next person that requested 'Free Bird'

I feel for you. I always hated Rolf Harris till he did that spoof version of "Stairway to Heaven." after which NOBODY EVER asked for the dirge again...... :lol: :lol: :lol:

'65 Gibbo 12...Mmm, nice. My fave is my '75 Guild F50R.

yodajazz
12-06-2007, 08:10 PM
I play keyboards. I play a steady three nights a week, for now, plus a Blues/R&B band two or three times a month, and church twice a month.
On my steady gigs, we play jazz, r&b, and blues. Plus we let people sit in, so we get some pretty good muscians coming through, sometimes. My regret artistically,is that I don't get to play my own compostions more. I write music and lyrics, but am not a great vocalist.

I have several music programs that I use on my computer. Power Tracks Pro, Band in a Box, Acid, Goldwave for loop editing, and Reasons 3.0.

eded
02-28-2015, 05:36 AM
bongo

itsnotme
02-28-2015, 05:44 AM
if ur looking for someone who produced a dead style of music that was only popular in north west england u found them i also produced hardcore to now im a sad drunk hung up on a girl i now know ive no chance with i wish her the best i was an asshole jamie frenches band are ok i guess

natina
02-28-2015, 06:27 AM
"I can Play the flute on you"

itsnotme
02-28-2015, 06:38 AM
even i have to laugth at myself every now and again we all do good to meet u natia

Jamie French
02-28-2015, 06:59 AM
https://www.youtube.com/user/tsjamiefrench/videos - Dig around.

itsnotme
02-28-2015, 07:03 AM
not bad im getting down to shit italo dance right now product of my enviroment lol

CoolAwesomeBXDude
02-28-2015, 06:42 PM
im somewhat of one. ill post some stuff up soon n yall can give me feedback

natina
03-01-2015, 08:48 AM
how about the bag pipe

"I can Play the flute on you"

even i have to laugth at myself every now and again we all do good to meet u natia

http://assets.pornsfw.com/hashed_silo_content/d0a/201/067/resized/pipe-bag-f7ba1b.jpg

Muzz84
03-01-2015, 10:46 AM
I'm a guitarist first and foremost, and a drummer second. Love both! I have also been known to rock out on my ukulele, which is not a euphemism! I used to be a guitar teacher but as much as I loved it, the income was too up & down. Still love playing! Here is my newest purchase I treated myself to last week.

MrFanti
03-01-2015, 06:17 PM
https://www.youtube.com/user/tsjamiefrench/videos - Dig around.

I played the Bass a bit college - I like your rifs! :cool:

Nikka
03-01-2015, 11:25 PM
yes this is my fav song we recorded
https://soundcloud.com/nikki-montero/quiero-cerveza

enjoy :)

and we recorded this song for Ricky Martin (contest) past year for the worldcup in Brazil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Hu6GxUHStY

Jamie French
03-03-2015, 08:15 AM
Check out my awesome drummer of 15 years, Orion Quest​ - We're tracking drums right now, finishing up Gravity Euphonic​'s latest album, "The Dead Ones".
www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5b9t6oaZ80