PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Pizza and Hotdogs VS NY

LBCDO
11-14-2007, 07:15 PM
I always have this argument with my people from NY. To tell the truth, NY aint got shit on some UNOs Deep Dish. I know there are a lot of people here from NY, but I swear, if you try a REAL chicago hot dog or some REAL deep dish, you probally wont admit it, but the our food is better. YOu can keep that floppy ass, greasy ass, thin crust pizza.

TsVanessa69
11-14-2007, 07:20 PM
I have to agree. I have an ongoing joke with my girl from vegas. We try hot dogs in every city we vist, and yep a Chicago Style hot dog cannot be beat!!!! When in NY i get mad, I have to make them add the tomato, onion and relish.

LBCDO
11-14-2007, 07:24 PM
Yea, I miss Bono's. They have a couple spots here in ATL that have good hot dogs, but nothing like real thing. They have a Harolds Chicken here, but I think someone just bought the name because it for damn sure aint the Chicken King that Im used to!

Night Rider
11-14-2007, 07:27 PM
lol @ this thread

from an outsider looking in, i always thought chicago were better known for their pizzas

Quinn
11-14-2007, 07:29 PM
I always have this argument with my people from NY. To tell the truth, NY aint got shit on some UNOs Deep Dish. I know there are a lot of people here from NY, but I swear, if you try a REAL chicago hot dog or some REAL deep dish, you probally wont admit it, but the our food is better. YOu can keep that floppy ass, greasy ass, thin crust pizza.

LBCDO, I agree with you about the hot dogs, but Chicago deep dish is truly awful. I would rather eat tofu or some similarly disgusting substance than what essentially amounts to a big wad of doe that kills any hint of tomato taste.

-Quinn

LBCDO
11-14-2007, 07:34 PM
See, thats when you just let em know you want extra sauce. It works out. If you dont use a fork when you eat your pizza or have to pick it apart, you're not eating real deep dish!

But we are known for our pizza, but the hot dogs are the truth too. Shit, when jew town was still open it was over. They call ChiTown the 2nd city, but not becuase its second to NY. We've got all types of food that puts us on the map!

Quinn
11-14-2007, 07:48 PM
The Travel Channel actually did a documentary on the competition between NYC and Chicago over who makes the best pizza. It even features a competition between the most legendary pizza-makers from both cities. The next time it's on is Nov. 14, at 3:00 PM. Having already seen it, I have to say it was really interesting.

http://travel.discovery.com/tv-schedules/special.html?paid=26.10363.105096.0.0

-Quinn

JohnnyVee
11-14-2007, 07:50 PM
for those who are unknowing...

http://www.viennabeef.com/culture/chicagostyle.asp

blckhaze
11-14-2007, 07:51 PM
not a hot dog guy, but both pizzas are good imo. where chi town takes in my book is the cheescake. i mean there are some good spots for cheesecake in NY, but chitown has the best. man i need to visit there again.

LBCDO
11-14-2007, 07:57 PM
The Travel Channel actually did a documentary on the competition between NYC and Chicago over who makes the best pizza. It even features a competition between the most legendary pizza-makers from both cities. The next time it's on is Nov. 14, at 3:00 PM. Having already seen it, I have to say it was really interesting.

-Quinn

ALREADY SET THE TIMER ON MY CABLE BOX FOR IT!

Not only does chicago have the best Hot Dogs, Pizza, and Cheesecake, we also are killing everyone else with:

Hoagies
Pizza Puffs
Late Nite Chinese
Steak Sandwiches from 111th and Racine

biguy4tvtscd
11-14-2007, 08:06 PM
Apparently, once you get west of the ole Mississip, you lose your taste buds.

Deep dish better than a fat floppy NY slice? Fucking laughable.

And there are no dogs better than a NYC dirty water dog. To claim you can't get toppings is ridiculous. I've never had a DWD that wasn't smothered in Kraut, Relish, Red Onions, and Mustard.

Next thing you know you'll be trying to tell me Ketchup belongs on a hot dog.

JohnnyVee
11-14-2007, 08:06 PM
How about Italian Beef from Byrons?

JohnnyVee
11-14-2007, 08:09 PM

And there are no dogs better than a NYC dirty water dog. To claim you can't get toppings is ridiculous. I've never had a DWD that wasn't smothered in Kraut, Relish, Red Onions, and Mustard.

Next thing you know you'll be trying to tell me Ketchup belongs on a hot dog.

ahem...we're *east* of the Mississippi

...and most respectable places wil give you kethcup if you ask for it, but will give you a smirk...as well as the other customers in line with you.

TsVanessa69
11-14-2007, 08:50 PM

Next thing you know you'll be trying to tell me Ketchup belongs on a hot dog.Chicago style hot dog doesn't have that kraught stuff. Chopped onions, diced tomatoes, mustard, relish and jalepeno peppers, shit I gonna run down the street and get one, you guys know a gal on hormones eats too much sometimes!

flabbybody
11-14-2007, 08:52 PM
with all due respect, Chicago deep dish is more like a round lasagna with crust.

If you can't shake on garlic powder, fold it up in half, and walk in the street while you're eating, it aint pizza.

TsVanessa69
11-14-2007, 08:53 PM
How about Italian Beef from Byrons? The fuckin BEST, now can we stop all this food talk, now I want a hot dog, lol. The little spot by my house has a hot dog with all the trimmings with skin on potatoes and grape pop for $3. Now you guys gonna fuck up my diet.

TsVanessa69
11-14-2007, 08:57 PM

http://www.viennabeef.com/culture/chicagostyle.aspNow that did it!!!!! I'm on my way out the door, thanks alot! :wink:

LBCDO
11-14-2007, 09:00 PM
Sorry, but Chitown wins, hands down. Then skimpy ass Nathans Hot dogs!

Oh, Vanessa, they say soda in NY, they dont know about the grape pop, some 50/50, or RC Cola.

JohnnyVee
11-14-2007, 09:10 PM

http://www.viennabeef.com/culture/chicagostyle.aspNow that did it!!!!! I'm on my way out the door, thanks alot! :wink:

Besos!!!

Leverage87
11-14-2007, 09:14 PM
My mom's family comes from Chicago, we used to go there all the time, and there is NOTHING better then a nice Deep Dish, with all the toppings. Damn, even just thinking about it makes me wanna hop in the car and drive over. Thats the one nice thing about western Michigan, I'm only two hours from the most delicious pizza ever.

For me, Chicago style wins hands down, I can't stand NY style pizza, I get pissed paying for pepperoni on a napkin...

So heres to Chi-town:

LBCDO
11-14-2007, 09:44 PM
GINOS IS THE SHIT! Best damn Pizza in the World. Well, its hard to say which is the best, so ill say in my top 3.

Leverage87
11-14-2007, 09:46 PM
Ginos and Unos, thats all you need man.

NewYorker
11-14-2007, 09:59 PM

Oh, Vanessa, they say soda in NY, they dont know about the grape pop, some 50/50, or RC Cola.

What you're saying is laughable. You're not arguing that your pizza and hotdogs are better, you're arguing that your TOPPINGS are better. New York hotdog and pizza stand on their own, they don't need toppings to be good.

And just so you know, we have RC cola in NYC too. It goes for 50 or 75 cents and is usually stored on a dust covered shelf because no one buys them. RC is the original bootleg soda.

echimandu
11-14-2007, 10:02 PM

-Quinn

ALREADY SET THE TIMER ON MY CABLE BOX FOR IT!

Not only does chicago have the best Hot Dogs, Pizza, and Cheesecake, we also are killing everyone else with:

HoagiesPizza Puffs
Late Nite Chinese
Steak Sandwiches from 111th and RacineWait, you obviously never had a hogie from Philly. In Philly they make some of the best hogies in the country.

JohnnyVee
11-14-2007, 10:08 PM
I'll give it to New York for Bagels. There are a few places in Skokie for some good bagels, but not quite like NY or even NJ.

LBCDO
11-14-2007, 10:20 PM

What you're saying is laughable. You're not arguing that your pizza and hotdogs are better, you're arguing that your TOPPINGS are better. New York hotdog and pizza stand on their own, they don't need toppings to be good.

And just so you know, we have RC cola in NYC too. It goes for 50 or 75 cents and is usually stored on a dust covered shelf because no one buys them. RC is the original bootleg soda.

Take a plain hot dog from NY and a plain hot dog in Chicago and our will probally stand out because of the bun and the meat. But the way we make ours is what sets it apart.

And we put Deep Dish on the map. Personally if I go to NY I dont even want the pizza because usually its all greasy and makes my stomach hurt and taste like just cheese. Take take a plain deep dish [which is kinda wack] and it still kills that street corner bullshit you get in NY. [Friendly shit talking, dont think Im getting personal]

But the hoagies in Philly are good. Nobody beats a REAL philly cheese. I like the pizza in Philly too. And the water ice

BeardedOne
11-14-2007, 10:28 PM
When my ex and I first got together, she lived in Lakeview, two blocks from Wrigley (Before Lights). I love that town. Though "Late Night" eats never worked for me as I was usually in the Loop at that hour and the whole damned area shuts down at 5:30 and on weekends (Including Illinois Center) save for the Bugger King at Michigan and Wacker. :roll:

Dogs, most definitely, and the Pizza Puff. :lol: Deep dish, if you're at the right place.

I still swear by Ray's on Broadway in NY and Back Bay House of Pizza in Boston. Both served the best (And word has come to me that they still do). Heard a lot about Pepe's in New Haven, but have yet to go. Damned place is a tourist attraction, and I so hate dining with fucking tourists. :x

Quinn
11-14-2007, 10:37 PM
Setting aside the competition between NYC and Chicago for a moment, I would like to take the opportunity to complain about pizza in Georgia. IT TOTALLY SUCKS!!! It tastes like sawdust from diseased trees. Seriously, I've given up hope of finding anything approximating edible pizza here in Georgia.

-Quinn

LBCDO
11-14-2007, 10:42 PM
Atlanta isnt really worth a shit for food. What do we have here, waffle house? Because thats the only thing youll find after the club or 5 or 6 AM. Im talking about some quick, order, eat, and leave food. I think the best thing ATL has is Fat Matts on Piedmont, and even there you pay $8 for a kids meal

Quinn
11-14-2007, 10:48 PM
Atlanta isnt really worth a shit for food. What do we have here, waffle house? Because thats the only thing youll find after the club or 5 or 6 AM. Im talking about some quick, order, eat, and leave food. I think the best thing ATL has is Fat Matts on Piedmont, and even there you pay $8 for a kids meal

Couldn't agree more. People talk about Buckhead like it's some sort of culinary mecca. Living here, I have to say the place is phenomanol, but they don't know shit about food.

-Quinn

wombat33
11-14-2007, 10:50 PM

to me it is this simple:

Ray's Pizza on 11th street and 6th ave

and

Nathan's Hot Dogs in Coney Island

Been to Chicago at least 10 times. It's good but it is like comparing
me in a dress to the Fine hung Angels

Leverage87
11-14-2007, 11:02 PM
LBCDO, the one thing I really loved about the south is Crystal's. I thought they were good as far as fast food goes, as is Hardees.

ed_jaxon
11-14-2007, 11:06 PM
That was low Wombat.

You New York cats crack me up claiming everything.

A Nathan's opened up on Rush Street in the 80's and was gone in a year.

Macy's slapped their name on Marshall Field's and their sales dropped by double digits.

I have even heard fools say House music started in NY!

You guys like your pizza like you like your women's asses-- flat and greasy.

LBCDO
11-14-2007, 11:08 PM

Couldn't agree more. People talk about Buckhead like it's some sort of culinary mecca. Living here, I have to say the place is phenomanol, but they don't know shit about food.

-Quinn

I mean, here we have a lot of things to do, and lots of people. And the TGirls, wow. Shits off the chain. But food, hell naw. Buckhead is so wack. It started going downhill with that BMF/Big Meech stabbing. I used to live off of Pharr Rd and I loved being in the middle of everything, but it sucked finding something to eat. 3 Dollar Cafe all day.

BeardedOne
11-14-2007, 11:14 PM
What do we have here, waffle house?

Hey, don't knock the Waffle House and their chopped, smothered, covered, diced, sliced, sauteed, flipped, flopped, whatever hash browns/chili. :D

Before they got this far north (Just south of Philly), WH was =the=place to eat, late nite, when I was on the road.

Word to the wise: They crank up the AC to chill the customers and make the food get cold fast to create higher turnover. Sneaky bahstids. I just wore a jacket and ordered more chili and hash browns. :wink:

NewYorker
11-14-2007, 11:28 PM
I like the pizza in Philly too. And the water ice

And with that sentence you just disqualified everything you've ever said. Philly pizza is the nastiest thing period and I say this as someone who lived in Philly for several years. Philly pizza has philly water in it and tastes exactly like it. (For anyone who doesn't know, Philly water is disgusting, it needs to be filtered twice before it's drinkable)

BeardedOne
11-14-2007, 11:43 PM
Philly pizza has philly water in it and tastes exactly like it. (For anyone who doesn't know, Philly water is disgusting, it needs to be filtered twice before it's drinkable)

I'll agree on that. The food is only as good as the ingredients, and if the stuff is fresh (As it should be) it depends on a lot on local sources, such as the water.

Most of my local (Philly) experience is suburban, therefore better water and often better suppliers.

LBCDO, the one thing I really loved about the south is Crystal's. I thought they were good as far as fast food goes, as is Hardees.

Eeeewww! Are you serious?!? I only ate Crystal's once, when I showed up in Nashville a day late and a dollar short and someone took pity on me. Though not total garbage, they are more akin to White Castle (Who will ship their sliders =anywhere= in the world by calling 1-800-WCASTLE), and oft the meal of the desperate (See "Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle").

Hardee's is passable. I do like their burgers, but as a show of my confidence in them, I have not imbibed of their faire since 1977. Framingham, near the Dennison plant.

NewYorker
11-15-2007, 01:31 AM
Philly pizza has philly water in it and tastes exactly like it. (For anyone who doesn't know, Philly water is disgusting, it needs to be filtered twice before it's drinkable)

I'll agree on that. The food is only as good as the ingredients, and if the stuff is fresh (As it should be) it depends on a lot on local sources, such as the water.

Most of my local (Philly) experience is suburban, therefore better water and often better suppliers.

I was out in west philly but found that the water was pretty terrible no matter where in the city you were. I used to make sure that when I was at a restuarant they always brought several lemon wedges with the water just in case it was from the tap. Where were you located?

stillies77
11-15-2007, 01:34 AM
Philly Cheesesteaks kick everything elses ass.

BeardedOne
11-15-2007, 01:39 AM
I was out in west philly but found that the water was pretty terrible no matter where in the city you were. I used to make sure that when I was at a restuarant they always brought several lemon wedges with the water just in case it was from the tap. Where were you located?

I'm in Delawhere, the only Philly suburb with its own governor (of which I was unwittingly a contender at some point). My 'Philly' food experience has been as far afield as Norristown, Bristol, and Pensauken.

NewYorker
11-15-2007, 01:41 AM

I'm in Delawhere, the only Philly suburb with its own governor (of which I was unwittingly a contender at some point). My 'Philly' food experience has been as far afield as Norristown, Bristol, and Pensauken.

Oh yeah, you're way out there.

peggygee
11-15-2007, 01:47 AM
A Nathan's or Hebrew National hotdog with deli mustard and sauerkraut,
or a knish, or pastrami and rye are where it's at.

The same with the thin crust Neopolitan style pizza of New York, Sicilian
is great also.

LBCDO
11-15-2007, 03:18 AM
I used to always go to this spot down the street from the house Im always at in Yaiden, and the pizza is aight. And some other spot in South Philly. I dont know, Ive never had problems with it

But I will give philly all respect on its cheesesteak. Youve never had a philly cheese until you get a real one from Philly. They have some bullshit fast food spot here called Philly Connection. Thats not a philly, thats some steakum on a hot dog bun

Uncut
11-15-2007, 03:18 AM
What comparison NY pizza and dogs kick ass

BBaggins06
11-16-2007, 11:13 AM
Ginos and Unos, thats all you need man.

Bleah, they're just a half step up above Dominos and Pizza Hut. For real Chicago 'za you have to hit a neighborhood pizzeria. Nick & Vito's, Angie's and Fox's are all within a mile of my house and cannot be beat.

I've had hot dogs in 17 major league stadiums and the worst ones by far were the Dodger Dogs. New York's weren't much better though. BTW, self-respecting dog lover would NEVER put ketchup on it. That's blasphemous. It's OK if you're 4 years old, but as soon as you hit puberty, it ceases being cute.

Finally, Boston has the best roast beef anywhere. Mahalo

Matt

CORVETTEDUDE
11-17-2007, 09:49 AM
Been to Chicago, ate Pizza.
Been to New York City, ate Pizza.
Been to Italy, ate Pizza(Yuk!).

Best Pizza I've found (in over 50 years of travelling), is in South Philly!! :rock2

hwbs
11-17-2007, 10:05 AM
dont sleep on new haven pizza....Worcester street !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hwbs
11-17-2007, 10:47 AM
sleeper is BAR on crown because they also have a fine wine selection and they brew their own beer...