PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Norman Mailer

mbf
11-10-2007, 11:00 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20071110/en_afp/entertainmentusliteraturemailer_071110172916

Felicia Katt
11-10-2007, 11:04 PM
its sad that he is dead, and all these threads are not LOL

meow

FK

Ecstatic
11-11-2007, 03:53 AM
I heard the news today. Great writer who kept pushing the envelope right to the end. RIP.

suckseed
11-11-2007, 04:19 AM
Has anyone read his latest?
I couldn't put the executioner's song down...though at the time, as a young man i had him confused with the guy that created All In The Family! :lol:

flabbybody
11-11-2007, 04:25 AM
that's Norman Lear

Ecstatic
11-11-2007, 06:56 AM
I couldn't put the executioner's song down...though at the time, as a young man i had him confused with the guy that created All In The Family! :lol:
Not yet, though I'm looking forward to it. The last one I read was The Gospel According to the Son, which I thought was brilliant.

suckseed
11-11-2007, 07:10 AM
Not yet, though I'm looking forward to it. The last one I read was The Gospel According to the Son, which I thought was brilliant.

I'll check it out.

Any other recommendations? Other authors as well.
I've been rereading Mark Twain, of all things.
You know what I really like sometimes is the preface in an anthology. Makes me miss discussing books in school.

suckseed
11-11-2007, 08:34 AM
Now try Arthur Miller, and then Henry Miller.

Well I loved Henry and June, but I've only read about Tropic of Cancer/Capricorn/Reds.
Arthur...Death of a Salesman is about it.

How about Thomas Pynchon? I've read Crying of Lot 49.

Wombat
11-11-2007, 10:18 AM
I read The Naked and the Dead when I was about 12 years old. It was the first big book I ever read. :lol:

melissacarter
11-11-2007, 12:21 PM
My condolensces to society. It's funny... when someone dies, you learn these things about people you didn't know like that he ran for Mayor of NYC. And that he was banned from the YMCA for reciting obscene poetry.

I remember there was great controversy over his support for the release of Jack Henry Abbot, a career criminal who wrote "In the Belly of the Beast" chronicling the inhumane conditions of the US prison system. Shortly after his release he killed another man, and was thrown back in the slammer along with Mailer's critics having a field day. He took a big hit for that but in true Mailer style, just kept on writing.

lust4ts
11-11-2007, 12:24 PM
Yep sad news, but at least he will always be remembered.