PDA

View Full Version : Dirtiest water in the world?!? Hong Kong

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
11-07-2007, 06:53 AM
HONG KONG, China (AP) -- Batman may have a body of steel, but the caped crusader is no match for the pollution in Hong Kong's iconic harbor.

The latest installment of the Batman series will start filming in the territory this month, but already the movie has hit several snags. A scene in which Batman was to drop from a plane into the harbor has been axed after the movie's producers found the water quality could pose a potential health risk, the South China Morning post reported in its Sunday edition.

"The plan was for Batman to be seen jumping into the water and then climbing up some bamboo, or something similar," the Post quoted an unnamed production official as saying.

"But when they checked a water sample, they found all sorts of things; salmonella and tuberculosis, so it was canceled. Now the action will cut to inside a building."

The movie -- a sequel to the 2005 hit "Batman Begins" -- stars Christian Bale as the eponymous Batman, Heath Ledger as the Joker and Michael Caine as Batman's long-suffering butler, Alfred.

Christopher Nolan returns to direct the film. Hong Kong's harbor has long been polluted by industrial and residential sewage, and swimming is not recommended, WWF's conservation director Andy Cornish told the Post.

Health worries due to pollution has increasingly become a concern in Hong Kong. According to the think tank Civic Exchange, more than 225,000 vessels arrive annually in Hong Kong's port, one of the world's busiest.

Additionally, rapid urbanization around the region has led to a land-sea breeze system that further traps the pollutants, according to Hong Kong scientists

DJ_Asia
11-07-2007, 07:19 AM
Hong Kong is a lovely technological marvel,with its amazing bridges covered with sweeping blue lasers dancing off buildings and the harbor,the miles and miles of high rise apartments and office buildings....its quite the sight to behold.

It seems however that Asia in all their ambition to catch up to the west hasnt quitw learned any lessons on ecological tolls taken by fast progress,industries,factories and simple carelessness.

In SE Asia trying to get a napkin is down right near impossible,but buy a pack of chewing gum and they wil triple wrap that sucker in the biggest plastic bags they can find.....

Hara_Juku Tgirl
11-07-2007, 07:30 AM
HK is an awesome and wonderful place. Think of it as a mini- Manhattan. There's all the lights and glitters of their own Times Square version and shopping is just something everyone marvels about! :P

Unfortunately though, You can never ever drink tap water in HK so make sure you know what is being given to you or better yet carry your own bottle of evian. ;) HK Harbor is simply that - DIRTY!

~Kisses.

HTG

DJ_Asia
11-07-2007, 08:06 AM
HK is an awesome and wonderful place. Think of it as a mini- Manhattan. There's all the lights and glitters of their own Times Square version and shopping is just something everyone marvels about! :P

Unfortunately though, You can never ever drink tap water in HK so make sure you know what is being given to you or better yet carry your own bottle of evian. ;) HK Harbor is simply that - DIRTY!

~Kisses.

HTG

You cant drink tap water anywhere in Asia...bottled water is a def necessaty,and even then thats a risk...

Spent a few days in Cambodia touring Angkor Wat one incredibly hot weekend, and my friend and I bought some bottled water off some vendors outside the complex...faw hours later both our stomachs were churning and spent the next couple days sick as fuck...seems they simply reuse the bottles,fill em up w/ contaminated tap,wrap some plastic around the seal...and there you have it...instant diet in a bottle!

Hara_Juku Tgirl
11-07-2007, 08:55 AM
Im sorry to hear DJAsia. I guess it's alot better if you bring some with you than just rely on buying water off some street vendor.

~Kisses.

HTG

Oli
11-07-2007, 09:11 AM
You cant drink tap water anywhere in Asia...bottled water is a def necessaty,and even then thats a risk...

Spent a few days in Cambodia touring Angkor Wat one incredibly hot weekend, and my friend and I bought some bottled water off some vendors outside the complex...faw hours later both our stomachs were churning and spent the next couple days sick as fuck...seems they simply reuse the bottles,fill em up w/ contaminated tap,wrap some plastic around the seal...and there you have it...instant diet in a bottle!

I was on that diet for a few days in KL, killed our time there.

El Nino
11-07-2007, 09:13 AM
The Human Race doesn't have too long, I tell ya.

TomSelis
11-08-2007, 12:21 AM
A friend of mine was in Hong Kong during shore leave (pre-'97). They stopped in a restaurant, the owner said, "Special for American sailors!" The special were these little fried fish. So they ate them, my buddy noticed they had a funny aftertaste, but they were all half drunk so they didn't care. On the boat back to their ship, they see a fishermen pulling a net with those same little fish from Hong Kong harbor. Just then, they all started getting a bubbly stomach.

By the time they got back to the ship, the diahrrea was full blown!

crayons
11-08-2007, 12:29 AM
sounds like india. when i went there- we were advised to carry our own bottled water and under no circumstances drink water offered in restaurants as it was tap water.

Quinn
11-08-2007, 12:31 AM
Water pollution is just the tip of the proverbial iceberg. Problems with air pollution have caused a number of hedge fund managers and the like to leave Hong Kong for Singapore.

http://www.forbes.com/home/feeds/afx/2006/08/04/afx2927287.html

-Quinn

NeoXtrim
11-08-2007, 06:18 PM
at http://www.blacksmithinstitute.org you can find the most polluted areas in the world

the water from HK seems to be sterile compared to these places :/