PDA

View Full Version : The "get ya ass back in shape" routine

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
05-06-2005, 11:43 AM
A few people asked me to put down some stuff I do to stay in shape
here's a simple workout I do daily that almost anyone can follow and if you STICK TO IT you'll see results....................

Workout 1: Chest, Shoulders, and Triceps
Dumbell Bench Presses 3 sets of 10 to 12 reps
Dumbell Shoulder Presses 3 sets of 10 to 12 reps
One-Arm Dumbell Triceps Extensions 3 sets of 10 to 12 reps
Dumbell Lateral Raises 3 sets of 10 to 12 reps

Workout 2: Back, Biceps, and Legs
One-Arm Dumbell Rows 3 sets of 10 to 12 reps
Dumbell Curls 3 sets of 10 to 12 reps
Dumbell Step-ups 3 sets of 10 to 12 reps

I've been doing this for a few months with nothing more than dumbbells any of you can pick up from a sporting good store......it works

last thing: ab work
I suggest you buy a swiss ball (yoga ball) from a sporting goods store ($12) and do your crunches on it. I started really seeing progress after I purchased one. Start out doing 2-3 sets of 8 reps each. Rest a day, then do it again. When you feel like those sets are nothing increase your reps. Thats it!!!!!!!! Make sure you do them slowly, don't rush it, you want to work the muscles.

p.s. I am not a personal trainer; try this at your own risk. I'm just putting what has worked for me out there.

Chica
05-07-2005, 09:17 AM
p.s. I am not a personal trainer; try this at your own risk. I'm just putting what has worked for me out there.

haha im liking that bit :P

im just gonna try to start running, as that tones a lot, and i dont like lifting things might chip a nail :P

but i gotta find a way to keep fit though cant run very far now without having to stop, but i dont smoke or nothing, its all passive :(

hwbs
05-07-2005, 04:28 PM
thinking of hiriing john basedow.......not his barber,lol

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
05-07-2005, 06:19 PM
chica can you get someone to run with you?
whenever I run with someone else I always seem to be able to go farther, takes my mind off of the distance I cover, because the other person is usually holding a conversation and that kills time

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
07-18-2005, 06:37 AM
just curious how some of you are doing, did you give up, have you stuck with it?
let me know

joyboy123
07-18-2005, 06:43 AM
just curious how some of you are doing, did you give up, have you stuck with it?
let me know
I used to do that type of workout years ago. However, as I got older I ended up getting muscle bound so for the past two years I have just done yoga and ab work. I like your suggestions about the ab work.

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
07-18-2005, 10:51 AM
the leg lift is supposedly the best overall abdominal exercise there is, i personally think that there are a combination of techniques to get proper results but who am I to argue with men's fitness magazines

Ecstatic
07-18-2005, 05:09 PM
My body isn't as well defined as it once was--hey, I'm 53, but I do try to keep in shape. I typically do 35 pushups at a time, bike, kayak, and walk and hike a fair amount. I lost some ground in March when I had a hernia repair surgery, but I'm getting back into the swing of things now.

TomSelis
07-18-2005, 05:33 PM
Except I do three days of weights/one day of cardio for 30 mins where I do abs. I change exercises every six weeks.

Workout 1:

Bench press 5x5
Incline/Decline DB press 4x6 (I alternate)
Military Press 4x6
Dips 4x6
Pulldowns 2x10

Workout 2:

Deadlifts 5x5
Pullups 4x6
BB rows 4x6
DB curls 2x8

Workout 3:

Squats 5x5
Toe-raises 4x6
Hamstrings 3x8
Quads 4x6
Interior/Exterior 4x6

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
07-18-2005, 05:45 PM
Ecstatic: coming off a double hernia operation myself about 4 years ago I completely understand. Take your time, and props to you for still working out.

Ecstatic
07-18-2005, 05:56 PM
Thanks, JWBL. I had one hernia op 7 years ago and the last in March this year, so I've slowed down a bit. But I won't let it stop me! At least I look young and fit enough to have been carded in the last six months! (TGIF, where they card anyone who looks under 40: since I'm 53, that made my day.)

Have you fully recovered? Prior to my first hernia op I weighed 175; I have not dropped below 185 since. I guess if I got off this damn PC and worked out more....