PDA

View Full Version : What Happened To John Beard(FOX 11 News)?

Dino Velvet
10-23-2007, 07:51 AM
I've watched FOX-11 in LA 10PM news for a long time. John Beard was the anchor with Christine Devine for years. Now John Beard is gone and they brought in this Carlos Amezcua. Not trying to be a bigot but now just about everyone on the 10 PM news is Hispanic with few exceptions. Is Fox trying to appeal to a new demo? John Beard was a great anchor and much better than this Carlos Amezcua guy.

Realgirls4me
10-23-2007, 08:08 AM
Aren't you talking about KTLA 13? Carlos Amezcua replaced the guy who died suddenly (Hal Fishman[?]) a few months ago. Beard was not there at that station ... I don't think.

... I still wake up to KTLA in the morning, even though Gisselle Fernandez left quite some time ago. Oh, that woman drove me wild. It's more fluff than news, but hey, they have it working.

Dino Velvet
10-23-2007, 08:21 AM
Aren't you talking about KTLA 13? Carlos Amezcua replaced the guy who died suddenly (Hal Fishman[?]) a few months ago. Beard was not there at that station ... I don't think.

KTLA = 5
KTTV = 11
KCOP = 13

I think Carlos Amezcua was suposed to replace Hal Fishman but for some reason he went to KTTV(FOX 11). The station's website gives no explanation why John Beard is no longer there. It's possible Christine Devine caught him looking down her top one too many times. She ain't much in the face but... great tits.

Realgirls4me
10-23-2007, 08:29 AM

KTLA = 5
KTTV = 11
KCOP = 13

I think Carlos Amezcua was suposed to replace Hal Fishman but for some reason he went to KTTV(FOX 11). The station's website gives no explanation why John Beard is no longer there. It's possible Christine Devine caught him looking down her top one too many times. She ain't much in the face but... great tits.

He did replace Fishman, but obviously his contract was up, or something came down, and Channel 11 made a better offer to him ... I don't know.

xrey
10-23-2007, 08:32 AM
This might answer your question ...

Longtime "KTLA Morning Show" host Carlos Amezcua has hopped to rival KTTV, where he'll co-anchor the Fox-owned station's 10 p.m. newscast beginning Oct. 1.

Out in the anchor shuffle is longtime KTTV anchor John Beard, whose contract was set to expire. The 14-year KTTV vet – who before that had a long run at KNBC – will appear on Fox 11 for the last time on Sept. 28.

Amezcua's move was a surprise, given that he was until recently considered the heir apparent to the KTLA 10 p.m. slot left empty by the recent passing of lengendary anchor Hal Fishman.

In the days following Fishman's death, Amezcua was seen anchoring KTLA's 10 p.m. broadcast, and some thought the move would be made permanent. But Amezcua hasn't been seen in the chair for the last few days – and now it's apparent why.

According to KTTV, Amezcua had been operating without a contract at KTLA for some time, and the channel saw an opportunity to steal him away.

"Carlos is someone that we've had our eye on," said KTTV general manager/VP Kevin Hale. "We think he's an exceptional talent. Oddly enough we found out that his contract had expired, so we saw a window of opportunity. We thought he'd be a great addition to our staff. We had some conversations with him, and very quickly got a long-term contract out of him."

Amezcua will join Christine Devine at the KTTV desk. Asked why the station would make a change when its program is already rated No. 1 at 10 p.m., Hale said he "wanted to continue to try to grow this newscast."

"We want to look at ways to increase ratings, and sometimes that involves change," he said. "We felt the timing was right to make a change."

It's unclear where Beard will wind up next, or if he'll continue in the local TV news market.

"He's been here 14 years and done a great job," Hale said. "He was instrumental in building the 10 p.m. news into an award winning-powerhouse."

Amezcua, a seven-time Emmy winner, helped launch the "KTLA Morning Show" – then called "KTLA Morning News" – in 1991, and has been with the ayem broadcast ever since. Before KTLA, Amezcua worked as a CBS News correspondent and an "NBC Nightly News" reporter. He has also worked for CNN and HBO's "America Undercover," as well as stations in New York, San Diego and Denver.

"This is a tremendous opportunity," Amezcua said. "I look forward to contributing to one of the most well-respected television newscasts and stations in Los Angeles."

With Amezcua out of the running for the KTLA anchor slot alongside Leila Feinstein, candidates to replace Fishman include weekend anchor Frank Buckley.

Readers in the rest of the country may best remember John Beard for his frequent appearances as a news anchor on "Arrested Development."

Dino Velvet
10-23-2007, 08:38 AM
He did replace Fishman, but obviously his contract was up, or something came down, and Channel 11 made a better offer to him ... I don't know.

Oh, I didn't know he took over at KTLA. I was always a Channel 11 guy and never watched Channel 5's 10 PM News.

I hate to admit this, but when it comes down to it, I end up watching the local News that has the hottest chicks. Channel 11 has Suzanne Marquez, Maria Quoban, and crazy eyes Liz Habib. If only they had Jackie Johnson do the weather. Lauren Sanchez fills in sometimes and she has the breastest bests. :lol:

But every News program needs a good anchor and John Beard is the best in the biz.

Dino Velvet
10-23-2007, 08:41 AM
This might answer your question ...

Longtime "KTLA Morning Show" host Carlos Amezcua has hopped to rival KTTV, where he'll co-anchor the Fox-owned station's 10 p.m. newscast beginning Oct. 1.

Out in the anchor shuffle is longtime KTTV anchor John Beard, whose contract was set to expire. The 14-year KTTV vet – who before that had a long run at KNBC – will appear on Fox 11 for the last time on Sept. 28.

Amezcua's move was a surprise, given that he was until recently considered the heir apparent to the KTLA 10 p.m. slot left empty by the recent passing of lengendary anchor Hal Fishman.

In the days following Fishman's death, Amezcua was seen anchoring KTLA's 10 p.m. broadcast, and some thought the move would be made permanent. But Amezcua hasn't been seen in the chair for the last few days – and now it's apparent why.

According to KTTV, Amezcua had been operating without a contract at KTLA for some time, and the channel saw an opportunity to steal him away.

"Carlos is someone that we've had our eye on," said KTTV general manager/VP Kevin Hale. "We think he's an exceptional talent. Oddly enough we found out that his contract had expired, so we saw a window of opportunity. We thought he'd be a great addition to our staff. We had some conversations with him, and very quickly got a long-term contract out of him."

Amezcua will join Christine Devine at the KTTV desk. Asked why the station would make a change when its program is already rated No. 1 at 10 p.m., Hale said he "wanted to continue to try to grow this newscast."

"We want to look at ways to increase ratings, and sometimes that involves change," he said. "We felt the timing was right to make a change."

It's unclear where Beard will wind up next, or if he'll continue in the local TV news market.

"He's been here 14 years and done a great job," Hale said. "He was instrumental in building the 10 p.m. news into an award winning-powerhouse."

Amezcua, a seven-time Emmy winner, helped launch the "KTLA Morning Show" – then called "KTLA Morning News" – in 1991, and has been with the ayem broadcast ever since. Before KTLA, Amezcua worked as a CBS News correspondent and an "NBC Nightly News" reporter. He has also worked for CNN and HBO's "America Undercover," as well as stations in New York, San Diego and Denver.

"This is a tremendous opportunity," Amezcua said. "I look forward to contributing to one of the most well-respected television newscasts and stations in Los Angeles."

With Amezcua out of the running for the KTLA anchor slot alongside Leila Feinstein, candidates to replace Fishman include weekend anchor Frank Buckley.

Readers in the rest of the country may best remember John Beard for his frequent appearances as a news anchor on "Arrested Development."

Thanks for the info, xrey. I just can't see how they thought getting rid of John Beard would bring better ratings.

justatransgirl
10-23-2007, 09:12 AM
Sheesh people isn't it OBVIOUS to you? That's just the cover story.

John Beard had a SEX CHANGE! And is living stealth in Omaha as Sally Anne Smith.

Giggle,
TS Jamie :-)

xrey
10-23-2007, 09:16 AM
You have him mixed up with the LA Times sports writer who came out a couple of months ago. Forgot his name ... hmmmm

xrey
10-23-2007, 09:24 AM
soooo unnecessary!

TrueBeauty TS
10-23-2007, 09:37 AM
I've watched FOX-11 in LA 10PM news for a long time. John Beard was the anchor with Christine Devine for years. Now John Beard is gone and they brought in this Carlos Amezcua. Not trying to be a bigot but now just about everyone on the 10 PM news is Hispanic with few exceptions. Is Fox trying to appeal to a new demo? John Beard was a great anchor and much better than this Carlos Amezcua guy.

I think Carlos is an idiot. When Chris Matthews was a guest on the morning news Ch. 5 in LA, I saw Chris Matthews totally rip him a new one when they were talking about facts & the Iraqi war.

Carlos didn't know crap, he could only stutter & spout catch phrases. I lost whatever respect I ever had for him after that.

:smh

Realgirls4me
10-23-2007, 09:43 AM

I think Carlos is an idiot. When Chris Matthews was a guest on the morning news Ch. 5 in LA, I saw Chris Matthews totally rip him a new one when they were talking about facts & the Iraqi war.

Carlos didn't know crap, he could only stutter & spout catch phrases. I lost whatever respect I ever had for him after that.

:smh

Just out of curiosity, what side of his mouth was Matthews speaking from this time? One can never tell with him imo. It really depends on who his audience is.

And, yes, it's surprising as to how many "journalists", who recite the news night after night, really don't know squat about national or international affairs when they find themselves away from the teleprompter.

TrueBeauty TS
10-23-2007, 09:53 AM
Just out of curiosity, what side of his mouth was Matthews speaking from this time? One can never tell with him imo. It really depends on who his audience is.

And, yes, it's surprising as to how many "journalists", who recite the news night after night, really don't know squat about national or international affairs when they find themselves away from the teleprompter.

I don't put Chris Matthews on a pedistal, but I *think* I *kinda* understand him. When you see him on talk shows giving HIS opinion, I tend to like him. On his program, I think he sometimes bends over backwards too much to try & be balanced, or give the "bad guys" too much of a break. Throw into the mix that he's a "good catholic boy" and he loves the game of politics and you get someone that can be ( or at least seem) inconsistent.

justatransgirl
10-23-2007, 10:37 AM
You have him mixed up with the LA Times sports writer who came out a couple of months ago. Forgot his name ... hmmmm

No silly - that was a joke... LAUGH dammit!

The other is Christine Daniels - I just exchanged e-mails with her the other day. I used to work for the rival paper in OC...

Giggle,
TS Jamie :-)

Leoand99
11-24-2007, 08:19 PM
Here's some inside scoop on John Beard:

John did not leave Fox local, he was fired.

Apparently, the guy was totally full of himself and a complete A-hole.

The producers tried to get him to do new things such as open the newscast standing infront of a blue screen or walking from one part of the set to the other. John wanted no part of any kind of change.

He also never came to the pree broadcast news meetings where the copy that is read on the air is changed and edited. When it came time to broadcast, John would make last minuted changes that really pissed off the producers.

John was also very expensive and demanding more money, (well over a million bucks a year for a local broadcast is a lot of money).

So, one day he was working there and the next day, he was canned.

By the way, yes it is almost impossible for a non ethnic sounding named man or woman to get hired in local news in Los Angeles. That is why most of them change their names. It is pathetic but reality.

how do I know this? I have a close friend in upper management.