PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Favorite Mexican Food?

Realgirls4me
10-23-2007, 05:24 AM
(Has this been asked?)

I didn't find very many Mexican food restaurants on my last hop (Ten years ago) to the eastern coast of this country, so I don't expect very many responses from the east coast posters if they have also experience such a dearth of Mexican food. So what of it? What is your favorite Mexican food plate? Hybrids (Tex-Mex, etc) will be allowed.

For me, the basic beef taco combination plate many restaurants offer is my favorite. Shredded beef tacos with fresh lettuce and Mexican white cheese, and complimented by Mexican red rice and refried beans, is certainly my favorite. Yum-yum. Ambrosia to this kid.

Menudo in red broth with a slight kick is a close second -- if one can find a restaurant serving it, that is.

It's hard to find good authentic Mexican food, even here in a border community such as San Diego.

MrsKellyPierce
10-23-2007, 05:26 AM
does taco bell count?

Realgirls4me
10-23-2007, 05:28 AM
does taco bell count?

LOL! No, not really. Ground beef? In tacos ?

LOL! Why didn't see that coming?

I'm just playing witcha, Kelly. Were you being serious, though?

MrsKellyPierce
10-23-2007, 05:29 AM
does taco bell count?

LOL! No, not really. Ground beef? In tacos ?

LOL! Why didn't see that coming?

I'm just playing witcha, Kelly. Were you being serious, though? Yes actually I am.. I had my share of mexican food when I was down there I DIDN'T like it at all. Everything tasted funny even the doritos.

Dino Velvet
10-23-2007, 05:35 AM
Burritos from Tito's Tacos with plenty of the hot green salsa.

http://joi.ito.com/moblog/pics/full/20060809215736-IMG00003.JPG

Realgirls4me
10-23-2007, 05:35 AM
Yes actually I am.. I had my share of mexican food when I was down there I DIDN'T like it at all. Everything tasted funny even the doritos.

I'm sure the Italian food I've had here in the states has probably strayed from it origins in Italy also.

Was it hospital food? ;)

MrsKellyPierce
10-23-2007, 05:36 AM
Yes actually I am.. I had my share of mexican food when I was down there I DIDN'T like it at all. Everything tasted funny even the doritos.

I'm sure the Italian food I've had here in the states has probably strayed from it origins in Italy also.

Was it hospital food? ;) No I was only in the hospital one day :)

Realgirls4me
10-23-2007, 05:37 AM
What part of Los Angeles is that in Dino? I presume it's in LA, right?

(Hmmm, have I driven by that place? I know I've driven by "Pink's", hee-hee)

TJT
10-23-2007, 05:38 AM
Enchiladas Suizas.

Quinn
10-23-2007, 05:39 AM
It's a great question. Unfortunately, I can't even begin to answer it because there are just too many Mexican dishes I really enjoy. Surprisingly, good Mexican food was really hard to find in NYC. Here in Georgia, however, I've actually managed to find a very authentic Mexican restaurant that I eat at no less than twice a week.

-Quinn

Realgirls4me
10-23-2007, 05:41 AM
Quinn,

Not to hijack this thread, but is the water crisis really all they are making it out to be down there? Christ, what are the solutions at this point?

Dino Velvet
10-23-2007, 05:42 AM

It's in Culver City on Washington Place off Sepulveda. Look for the line that spills into the street. What Pink's is to hot dogs, Tito's is to burritos. IT'S THE STUFF THAT LEGENDS ARE MADE OF!!!

MrsKellyPierce
10-23-2007, 05:42 AM
Quinn,

Not to hijack this thread, but is the water crisis really all they are making it out to be down there? Christ, what are the solutions at this point? lol I gues it is...cause everyone drinks bottle water.

Realgirls4me
10-23-2007, 05:46 AM
Quinn,

Not to hijack this thread, but is the water crisis really all they are making it out to be down there? Christ, what are the solutions at this point? lol I gues it is...cause everyone drinks bottle water.

Speaking of water, Kelly. I hope that you did not accompany any meal with the water from down there? Ever hear of Montezuma's Revenge? Maybe that ruined it for you, though authentic Mexican food incorporates more spices.

Realgirls4me
10-23-2007, 05:51 AM

It's in Culver City on Washington Place off Sepulveda. Look for the line that spills into the street. What Pink's is to hot dogs, Tito's is to burritos. IT'S THE STUFF THAT LEGENDS ARE MADE OF!!!

Thanks. I'm definitely going to try it when I visit in a few weeks (the pageant).

Is it far from West Hollywood?

Funny you should mention "Pinks". I read or heard somewhere that the late Orson Wells would down those hot dogs like tic-tacs ... that might have explained his size.

MrsKellyPierce
10-23-2007, 05:52 AM
Quinn,

Speaking of water, Kelly. I hope that you did not accompany any meal with the water from down there? Ever hear of Montezuma's Revenge? Maybe that ruined it for you, though authentic Mexican food incorporates more spices. No everything I drank was purified lol and I cooked with purified water.

Quinn
10-23-2007, 05:55 AM
Quinn,

Not to hijack this thread, but is the water crisis really all they are making it out to be down there? Christ, what are the solutions at this point?

Real, I don't think it counts as a threadjack if you started the thread. To your question, the media isn't reporting all of the facts accurately – as usual – but, yes, it really is getting extremely serious. So far as solutions are concerned, I'm at something of a loss. Putting a stop to our sending so much water to Florida is certainly a start though.

-Quinn

Realgirls4me
10-23-2007, 06:01 AM
Quinn,

Real, I don't think it counts as a threadjack if you started the thread. To your question, the media isn't reporting all of the facts accurately – as usual – but, yes, it really is getting extremely serious. So far as solutions are concerned, I'm at something of a loss. Putting a stop to our sending so much water to Florida is certainly a start though.

-Quinn

Yeah, I know, but you know how threads digress or morph into something else when a new introduction is made.
Hmmmm, may the rain gods start to look at that region more favorably. Those resevoirs look awfully low.

Dino Velvet
10-23-2007, 06:03 AM

Thanks. I'm definitely going to try it when I visit in a few weeks (the pageant).

Funny you should mention "Pinks". I read or heard somewhere that the late Orson Wells would down those hot dogs like tic-tacs ... that might have explained his size.

From West Hollywood, take Santa Monica Bl west all the way to Sepulveda. Make a left on Sepulveda and go all the way to Washington Place which is 1 block before Washington Bl. You'll see the big yellow sign on your right hand side. It's not overly far but definitely worth the trip.

Have you never had a hot dog at Pinks? You better go there too. Don't worry about calories because you're going to fatten up down here with all the good grub.

This conversation is getting me hungry and I just ate dinner an hour ago.

Alania_Crose
10-23-2007, 06:06 AM
Quinn,

-Quinn

As a Florida resident, all i can say is build a desalinizatoin plant. But nooo tampa wouldn't put it in, excuse was it was to much money, so yea i get the idea, but thats why its called Well Water.

Realgirls4me
10-23-2007, 06:08 AM

From West Hollywood, take Santa Monica Bl west all the way to Sepulveda. Make a left on Sepulveda and go all the way to Washington Place which is 1 block before Washington Bl. You'll see the big yellow sign on your right hand side. It's not overly far but definitely worth the trip.

Have you never had a hot dog at Pinks? You better go there too. Don't worry about calories because you're going to fatten up down here with all the good grub.

Thanks. One of the last motels I stayed in was near Washington, so I'm somewhat familiar with the area.

I don't know if it was "Pinks", but when my sister went to school up there, she took me to a place that served chili dogs among other things, that was open all night, or most of it, and where people stood and ate on an outdoor counter -- no tables or chairs. THAT place was popular! The line went forever.

Dino Velvet
10-23-2007, 06:17 AM
I don't know if it was "Pinks", but when my sister went to school up there, she took me to a place that served chili dogs among other things, that was open all night, or most of it, and where people stood and ate on an outdoor counter -- no tables or chairs. THAT place was popular! The line went forever.

It was either Pink's or The Original Tommy's in Downtown. Tommy's is great too. My dad was a Parole Officer and used to take me there all the time when I was a kid. Several times he ran into current or ex-parolees that he had on his case load who were standing in line. I remember a few tense moments but the chili dogs were good.

Realgirls4me
10-23-2007, 06:23 AM
Yes, that's it -- "Tommy's" !!!

Are these places chains (Pinks, Tommy's, Tito's, etc), or are they shrines on their own island?

qeuqheeg222
10-23-2007, 06:23 AM
thanksgiving dinner-pollo mole,roasted corn and chiles(cooked over the gas jets on the stove),arroz amarillo,and finally pinto beans cooked in a clay pot for hours...my house...

marissaazts
10-23-2007, 06:27 AM
my own home made grilled beef fajitas w/homemade guacomole

if im dineing out i love the Veracruz-style tilapia at seranos fishmarket restruant or their seafood tostadas

TJT
10-23-2007, 06:28 AM
thanksgiving dinner-pollo mole,roasted corn and chiles(cooked over the gas jets on the stove),arroz amarillo,and finally pinto beans cooked in a clay pot for hours...my house...

Sounds good. Those beans will get better for days.

Dino Velvet
10-23-2007, 06:29 AM

Are these places chains (Pinks, Tommy's, Tito's, etc), or are they shrines on their own island?

There used to only be one Original Tommy's(Downtown) but now there a several across town. Don't be confused with Tomy's, Tommie's, Thomas', or any of the other knockoffs. There is only one Tito's and one Pink's.

Realgirls4me
10-23-2007, 06:30 AM
The two postings by Marizzats and Queqheeg have made me hungry. And, yes, clay pots make a world of difference.

As they use to respond to Grandpa's supper on the old Hee-Haw series, YUM-YUM !!!

:)

Dino Velvet
10-23-2007, 06:32 AM

Sounds good. Where do you live? I'll bring a fork and an appetite.

Realgirls4me
10-23-2007, 06:44 AM

There used to only be one Original Tommy's(Downtown) but now there a several across town. Don't be confused with Tomy's, Tommie's, Thomas', or any of the other knockoffs. There is only one Tito's and one Pink's.

Thanks, Dino, and gotcha on visiting the right one. I am always wondering where to go for eats once I've checked into my room, and now you've given me some ideas. Maybe I'll post a picture of the place again as I did the last time as I did of Bob's Big Boy. That generated more discussion than I anticipated.

"Pink's" is off La Brea, right? (That's an odd name for an eatery, given that restaurants should never employ pink, purple, or blue, as part of any color or name scheme of an eatery)

Dino Velvet
10-23-2007, 07:15 AM
Thanks, Dino, and gotcha on visiting the right one. I am always wondering where to go for eats once I've checked into my room, and now you've given me some ideas. Maybe I'll post a picture of the place again as I did the last time as I did of Bob's Big Boy. That generated more discussion than I anticipated.

"Pink's" is off La Brea, right? (That's an odd name for an eatery, given that restaurants should never employ pink, purple, or blue, as part of any color or name scheme of an eatery)

Pink's is on La Brea just north of Melrose.

Bob's Big Boy is good too. You're probably going to the one on Wilshire I guess. I'm nutty about Pappy Parker's Fried Chicken and the Hot Fudge Ice Cream Cake.

Realgirls4me
10-23-2007, 08:14 AM
Dino,

Let's see ...

Fried Chicken

Burritos

Hot Fudge Ice Cream Cake

Hot dogs

Chili dogs

etc ...

You've taken gastronomy to new heights, my friend. ;)

xrey
10-23-2007, 08:39 AM
Favorite dish is found in Puerto Nuevo Mexico about one hour south of San Diego.

Lobster, beans, rice, tortillas and an ice cold Pacifico beer while overlooking the Pacific Ocean - it is good to be the king!!!

http://www.grandbaja.com/sitio%20web/lobster%20puerto%20nuevo%20style.jpg

LBCDO
10-23-2007, 10:13 AM
Im not a big fan of mexican food, but I guess nachos. With a lot of aguacate, bistec, and queso. I lived in mexico and knew nothing about mexican food besides tacos and burritos. Im so tired of tortas, ill never eat another one in my life again.

Now if we were talking about dominican food, then i can give you a list!

TrueBeauty TS
10-23-2007, 10:15 AM
Anything my Grama cooks!!!

NOTHING can beat homemade Mexican food. (It ties with homemade Italian, homemade Indian, etc, etc, etc.)

:D

hwbs
10-23-2007, 07:09 PM
hmmm miss those 24 hour taco shops out in san diego..also used to eat at sombreros i believe which was really good. they made some killer carne esada chimmys ...there is one original place where i live that isn't tex mex but it is so damn expensive ,lol.

Realgirls4me
10-23-2007, 07:44 PM
... I never cared for guacamole despite its popularity with many Mexican food aficionados. It's like lobster with me: I never developed a taste or liking for it. Go figure?

TJT
10-24-2007, 05:28 AM
Same her w/ guacamole. It's too oily for my tastes.

Now a tomatillo based salsa verde,I could eat that stuff with a spoon.

LovinThaTSLadiez
04-17-2014, 06:07 AM
Fajitas!!!

nevada64
04-17-2014, 06:29 AM
Fish Tacos, especially in Mexico. Either grilled fish or battered and fried with crema, cabbage, radishes , chilies, cilantro, lime, homemade tortillas, and both red and green salsa. I love Mexican food. Unfortunately there are a lot of bad Mexican food eateries here in LA, however we have a lot of good ones as well. One just has to know where they are and continue the search. I tried a little hole in the wall in the San Fernando Valley a few weeks and ago and was very disappointed. Nothing but ugly red sauce and melted tasteless cheese. No cilantro, onions, nor chilies. Caramba! Viva Mexico!!!

Dino Velvet
04-17-2014, 08:49 PM
I still eat at the same places I did as a kid making frequent trips to El Coyote and Tito's Tacos. I like stopping by Gilbert's on Pico also.

Chaingunner
04-17-2014, 10:02 PM
Chilli Beef Pot Noodle - does that count??

eded
03-01-2015, 10:06 AM
Camarones a la diabla

CD_Sasha
03-01-2015, 10:27 AM
Cemitas de pollo w/ chipotle peppers. Have that with a few coronas baby! This ladyboy is hecho en Mexico
https://mindboost.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/img_2011-04-08_10-018.jpg

ThatBloke
03-01-2015, 05:13 PM
Sadly I dont like Mexican food. I've been to Mexico and the people are the nicest friendliest people I have met. And being English they treated me really well opening the "proper Whiskey" instead of the local stuff.
Just dont like the food :(

onetluv
03-02-2015, 03:19 AM
Homemade tamales...homemade tortillas,chile verde if it's cooked right,rice,chile rellenos,damn...too many favorites to name but those are at the top for sure..and of course menudo,with diced up onions,cilantro,sprinkle of oregano and lots of lemon...damn!!!makin me hungry just thinkin about it.

Jamie French
03-02-2015, 03:40 AM
Burger King.

MrBest
03-02-2015, 07:36 AM
Sadly I dont like Mexican food. I've been to Mexico and the people are the nicest friendliest people I have met. And being English they treated me really well opening the "proper Whiskey" instead of the local stuff.
Just dont like the food :(
mexican food not bland enough?

MrBest
03-02-2015, 07:37 AM
Now if we were talking about dominican food, then i can give you a list!
platano con salami over mexican food, oh please

LovinThaTSLadiez
03-02-2015, 07:58 AM
Fajitas!

JenniferParisHusband
03-02-2015, 08:29 AM
LA people, if you haven't made it to El Taurino on Hoover St., 1) you're probably bullet hole free, and 2) you haven't had the best Mexican food in all of LA. Their red sauce is better than any I had in Mexico, and as someone who hates onions, the fact that I'd get like 7 of these things and kill them off on a Saturday while watching my Chargers is saying something.

CD_Sasha
03-03-2015, 03:12 AM
I still have yet to check out the west coast. I gotta make my way out there for a small vacation.

eded
03-05-2015, 01:47 AM
Fish Veracruzana

incredible

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-PUH87vv7oGI/TchOIt0o2qI/AAAAAAAAAFo/NQd8Wbxh7nY/s1600/pescado.jpg